Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

ghetto wormhole posted:

Are heavy chainswords even in any of the codexes?

They are in 30k, but its something like +1 S and nothing crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

ghetto wormhole posted:

Probably going to make an appearance in the new BA book whenever that comes out.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
They have stats in the 6th and 7th ed rulebooks but GW never seems to remember they exist when they write codexes.

They even took eviscerators away from priests in the AM codex.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

ghetto wormhole posted:

They even took eviscerators away from priests in the AM codex.

Smash is basically mechanically the same as well, it's an odd choice.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Arven posted:

This is what I thought when I asked the question.

The new rulebooks and codex suck, you need to look at 3 different things to see everything you need to know about any given unit or weapon.

Yeah, I REALLY don't like the new codex organization. I only have the ebook version of the Guard book right now, but compared to the old one actually trying to find point costs, upgrades, and statlines is just intensely frustrating. Even when I have access to the physical book, having to flip between two different sections of the book to hash out a list is just needlessly frustrating. Not to mention being told to refer to the main book for information on my army's most basic weapons.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah, I REALLY don't like the new codex organization. I only have the ebook version of the Guard book right now, but compared to the old one actually trying to find point costs, upgrades, and statlines is just intensely frustrating. Even when I have access to the physical book, having to flip between two different sections of the book to hash out a list is just needlessly frustrating. Not to mention being told to refer to the main book for information on my army's most basic weapons.

Sounds like you should be playing Dark Eldar. Do they even have to look through the BRB at all, aside from USRs?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Karandras posted:

Smash is basically mechanically the same as well, it's an odd choice.

I would much rather have 2d6 penetration than reroll failed penetrations. I was very sad to see Eviscerators go.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

AbusePuppy posted:

I would much rather have 2d6 penetration than reroll failed penetrations. I was very sad to see Eviscerators go.

Good news! Just ally in some Sisters of Battle and you'll be swimming in the things!

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

jng2058 posted:

Good news! Just ally in some Sisters of Battle and you'll be swimming in the things!

I actually used Repentia as Priests/Banishers for a fair while, since I like the concept (if not quite as much the models) a lot. Sadly, like most other things in that book, they are fairly terrible.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Acebuckeye13 posted:

That they continue to put ten pages of model shots between the section that tells you what things cost and the section that tells you what things do is the dumbest thing in the world. Stick it after the fluff and just do rules for god's sake.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

AbusePuppy posted:

I actually used Repentia as Priests/Banishers for a fair while, since I like the concept (if not quite as much the models) a lot. Sadly, like most other things in that book, they are fairly terrible.

Yeah me too. This kind of irritates me they removed the option.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ghetto wormhole posted:

I've felt like they were going to replace 'Uge Choppas or Big Choppas or whatever the big weapons Nobz can get for a while now. The rules were mostly the same.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I always liked the rule that Choppas used to have where it reduced your save. They should bring that back.

Just finished a Vassal game with my friend from out of state that literally took two days to play. Well we had to stop, but holy poo poo is Combined Forces fun with Necrons. 3 Annihilation Barges and I get 9 Tomb Spyders! Yes please.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

It's cute, but does the game really need more ways to punish Terminators?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yes.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Fix posted:

That they continue to put ten pages of model shots between the section that tells you what things cost and the section that tells you what things do is the dumbest thing in the world. Stick it after the fluff and just do rules for god's sake.

Yeah, I hate this nonsense. For fifth they had it a lot more streamlined as I recall, then went back to the old idiotic method with sixth.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Is it like that in the digital versions? Cause seriously that would get old real fast.

That's why I think they got it "right" with the new edition. One book that just says "Rules".

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Fix posted:

Better yet, learn from their own BRB. Split the codex into two volumes, one with rules and one with fluff and artwork. Watch GW charge AUD$80 for each, too

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Speaking of -1 to saves! Battle report.

We did "Big Guns Never Tire", which ended up being a godsend for me as I had no HS and he had a ton:

My list
Belial
Chaplain, jump pack, melta bombs
10x Deathwing, 2x HF
5x Deathwing, Assault Cannon
5x Deathwing, Assault Cannon
7x Deathwing, 4x Thunder Hammer, 2x Lightning Claws, LR Crusader Transport

His list:
Maugan Ra
Farseer, Shard, Ghosthelm
Warlock, Singing Spear
10x Guardians in Wave Serpent, Scatter lasers
3x Jetbike, Shuriken Cannon
3x Jetbike, Shuriken Cannon
4x Jetbike, Shuriken Cannon
10x Jetbike, 3x Shuriken Cannon
6x Dark Reapers, Exarch w/ Missile, Fast Shot in Wave Serpent w/ Scatter lasers
6x Dark Reapers, Exarch w/ Missile, Fast Shot in Wave Serpent w/ Scatter lasers
Wraithknight, Wraithcannons

Dawn of war setup. I rolled to go first and the 4 objectives were all kind of in a diamond in the center, relatively near each other - I tried to set them up that way, as I had 7 scoring things to start and knew I would end with less. I deployed my LR Crusader towards the tip of the diamond that pointed towards me, with the assault squad and the Chaplain inside and the rest deploying via Deathwing Assault first turn; he deployed along his table edge, holding his 3 small jetbike squads in reserve. We rolled Night Fighting for the first turn.

He failed to seize, and so I started with the first turn.

1st turn:
Moved the land raider up onto the first objective and popped smoke. Belial accompanied the 10 man squad deep striking so I set them up to flame the 10 man Jetbike squad; they took 1 casualty from deeps striking into difficult terrain but were otherwise ok. The other 2 squads mostly landed on target, each close enough to a wave serpent to threaten it for the next turn though their assault cannon shots didn't do anything. I shot the 10 man terminator squad + Belial into his jetbike squad, and caused 4 casualties, but his morale held.

On his turn, he unloaded all his wave serpents and set them up for firing positions. This is when I realized I had made a terrible mistake, as his warlock had rolled the power that either gives his squad +1 to their armor save OR gives an enemy squad -1 to theirs. With a quick roll of the dice, my 10 man squad and Belial had 3+ armor saves for the turn. A combination of Dark Reaper AP 3 shooting and some shuriken rends, with poor invulnerable saves, left the entire 10 man squad dead and Belial down a wound. He also killed 3 terminator on the right side with some wave serpent shooting and the other dark reapers. He then proceeded to charge Belial with his now-6 man bike squad, who rolled really well on their wound rolls and killed him, taking 2 casualties in the process. He also charged the land raider with the Wraithknight, but only managed to shake it. 650 points dead first turn! Woo.

2nd turn:
I was not expecting to be down half my army at this point, but honestly even without the perfect warlock + AP 3 shooting combination I've had worse games with my terminators (albeit about 10 years ago) so I tried to focus on the positives. And there were positives! First up, I let out the assault termies and the Chaplain, who split up; the chaplain moving towards the Maugan Ra/Dark Reaper transport, and the assault terminators surrounding the Wraithknight. My now-2 man squad advanced towards his Farseer who was hanging out with the other Dark Reaper squad and their Wave Serpent, and my remaining 5 man squad moved towards the Guardian Wave Serpent. My Land Raider actually rammed his center Wave Serpent, but failed to cause damage; however, the Assault Cannon snap shotted 2 HP off, amazingly enough. The 5 man squad split fire to kill some guardians and shoot their wave serpent, doing 1 HP; the 2 man squad (remaining were a sergeant and the assault cannon) split fire to mainly be able to charge both the Dark Reapers and the Wave Serpent, but actually managed to storm bolter down a Dark Reaper.
And then came the assault phase. Leaping, bounding Terminators all rolled 10+ charge ranges, with the 5 man squad hitting the Guardian Wave Serpent, the 2 man hitting his Dark Reapers/Farseer and their wave serpent, and the assault squad hitting the Wraithknight. The Chaplain contributed as well, charging the last Wave Serpent and kicking it out of the air with his Hammer of Wrath attack. Massed powerfists kiiinda gently caress up Wave Serpents, and so in one glorious round I destroyed all 3 wave serpents, with the assault terminators taking 3 wounds off the Wraithknight and taking no casualties in return.

On his turn, his 3 jetbike squads popped on, and I knew my 4 man squad was doomed. Lo and behold, his warlock cast the -1 armor save again, and they were decimated by the massed Shuriken + Dark Reaper fire. 2 of the 3 small Jetbike squads then blazed over, one to assist the Farseer + Dark Reapers (though they couldn't make it that turn), and 1 to claim an objective to the south. However, my 2 terminators in combat with the Farseer and the Dark Reapers kept on, making all their armor saves and slowly whittling down the squad. As well, more importantly my assault terminators murdered the Wraithknight, who only managed to kill their Sergeant in return. They consolidated south towards the Jetbike squad.

Turn 3:
My chaplain gunned his jetpack and shot over to near his jetbike squad that was trying to assist the Farseer, while my assault terminators moved towards assault range of the south jetbike squad, and my landraider advanced to Hurricane/Assault Cannon range of his third small jetbike squad. Spectacularly bad armor save rolling later, that squad was dead, and both the assault squad and the Chaplain made it into close combat, the assault squad annihilating the southern squad and the chaplain killing 2 of the 3 - thankfully, the last held. The Farseer/Dark Reaper combat continued, with the farseer finally killing the Sergeant, but the assault cannon killing another Dark Reaper.

He moved his remaining Jetbike squad south to take some potshots at the assault terminators, and the Dark Reaper/Maugen Ra squad moved up and tried to rend the Land Raider to no avail. My Chaplain killed his remaining jetbike, and the Assault Cannon termie killed the last normal Dark Reaper, leaving the Exarch and the Farseer.

Turn 4:
My Land Raider scooted forward and downed 1 Jetbike in the 4 man squad, while the Assault Terminators moved into a building near an objective, close enough to contest. My chaplain made his charge, and once again Hammer of Wrathed the Exarch in the face, leaving him, the Farseer with re-rollable invul saves (Fortune), and the assault terminator sitting around.

On his turn, he stunned my Land Raider with Maugen Ra and moved his guardians forward, closer to the objective the LR was sitting on. Threw the singing spear at the Land Raider to no effect, and went all out with his remaining Jetbikes to get close to the Farseer combat. The Farseer continued to make all his saves.

Turn 5:
Land Raider sat, assault termies sat, combat continued to no avail or casualties.

Jetbikes sat, potshots at my Land Raider, Guardians took the building near the objective the LR was sitting on to contest it. Dark Reapers moved foward towards the Northeast objective. Most importantly, however, I managed to roll triple 6s on his Fortune roll, meaning the Farseer could not reroll his armor saves anymore; he was struck down, bloodily, by the Chaplain.

Game did not end!

Turn 6:
Land raider moved up and killed 3 Dark Reapers, but couldn't hurt Maugan Ra. Chaplain and Assault Cannon moved towards the Jetbike squad, but missed their shooting and the Chaplain failed his charge range roll.

Dark Reapers annihilated the Chaplain, Terminator failed his armor save against Maugan Ra's shooting, who then scooted forward to take the objective near them; Jetbikes turboboosted to the east objective.

Game ended!

Final score was 8-7, his victory, killing Warlord (1), First Blood (1), and holding objectives with Maugan Ra and a jetbike squad. I had 1 objective (3) and had killed 4 Heavy Support options - his Wraithknight, 1 Dark Reaper squad, and 2 Dark Reaper wave serpents.

Despite losing, I am pretty happy with how my army did; that 1 warlock spell literally killed a third of my army points, and I think things could have gone very differently without that. Also considering how mobile his force was, I did a good job of corraling him and forcing confrontations on my own terms (ha) and if the game had ended Turn 5 I would have solidly won.

I do have a feeling it would do worse with Tactical objectives, however. Mobility is not the Deathwing strong point, even with Deathwing Assault.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hollismason posted:

I always liked the rule that Choppas used to have where it reduced your save. They should bring that back.
No they shouldn't, it was butt garbage. It was really punishing to certain armies (Marines, but especially Deathwing, Ravenwing, or other good-save/low-model builds) and didn't matter one iota to others. Reducing your save by 1 would be novel, but pretty much unheard of in post-2nd ed 40k.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

They should just reprint the 2nd edition rulebook for Orks and be like gently caress it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SRM posted:

No they shouldn't, it was butt garbage. It was really punishing to certain armies (Marines, but especially Deathwing, Ravenwing, or other good-save/low-model builds) and didn't matter one iota to others. Reducing your save by 1 would be novel, but pretty much unheard of in post-2nd ed 40k.

Yeah the excuse of -1 being too complicated was always stupid. I'm looking at the third ork codex and man you'd need a flow charts and some notes on who had choppas and not just close combat weapons.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

SRM posted:

Dumb idea - if you want to bring back a mechanic like that, wouldn't it be less punishing and easy if it was "reroll successful armor saves of 6?" It's a small boost, doesn't add that much time, and it's less effective the better your armor is - meaning that while it's still great to have, Terminators are still essentially going to just bounce the hits. (This isn't a thing that needs done - just seems like, mechanically, the easiest and fairest way.)

On a side note, today was a good day to be a Defiler. My dopey crab fought off a Swarmlord for multiple turns - the nerf to Smash is really a giant kick in the junk for that poor guy, since he would either miss his hit, get bounced by my Daemon save, or just roll Stunned while I slowly pummeled him to death. Felt good. (Sorry Hencoe.)

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah the excuse of -1 being too complicated was always stupid. I'm looking at the third ork codex and man you'd need a flow charts and some notes on who had choppas and not just close combat weapons.

One of the best things about the 3rd edition Ork codex is that it didn't actually bother to list any stats for their ranged weapons. You had to refer back to the rulebook for all of them.

And yeah, the old choppa rules were complete horseshit. No one really needs something like that on a model with 3 attacks that comes in a squad of 30.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
On the topic of orks. I just painted my 50th Ork Boy! My bad moons army now looks like this

Worst/best thing is that that army is a mere 1300 odd points so there's still a bit of a way to go.

Nevertheless, I am quite proud of having painted this much. I've owned these models for years (some are from 3rd edition) and have always found the prospect of painting them very intimidating; there's just so many. But now, with a decent sized painted army and a new codex around the corner I am so excited to WAAAGH!

Cataphract fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 5, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Yeah, but on the bright side, that's 1300 points of really purdy Orks. You have more pictures?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Big Willy Style posted:

Who is 'us' and why are GW sending you free stuff?

Yeah who is S. J?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
dude works at an independent game store

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Cataphract posted:

On the topic of orks. I just painted my 50th Ork Boy! My bad moons army now looks like this

Worst/best thing is that that army is a mere 1300 odd points so there's still a bit of a way to go.

Nevertheless, I am quite proud of having painted this much. I've owned these models for years (some are from 3rd edition) and have always found the prospect of painting them very intimidating; there's just so many. But now, with a decent sized painted army and a new codex around the corner I am so excited to WAAAGH!

Awesome work man! I feel your pain on being intimidated by painting a full army. Keep at it!

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

Awesome work man! I feel your pain on being intimidated by painting a full army. Keep at it!

Painting a full army? Pfft, I still have a Land Raider, two Dreadknights, 15-20PAGK and 10-15GKT in boxes still.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Have these extra Flash Gitz pics been posted yet?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Gotta say, those look pretty cool.

Having just built a Carnifex and Tervigon kit, and now 3 Knights, they have really advanced the ease of building the kits and swapability of the model parts in the recent releases. I could pick nits and say the numbered parts should be a bit closer on the sprues but the customization possible with these Flash Gitz looks really really good.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Gitfinda Squiggs and Plasma Snazzguns all round!

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

ghetto wormhole posted:

Chaos armory has the Khornate Chainaxe. :dota101:

Hurry up and purchase :smugkhorne:, hamfailures.

Buy my army so I can purchase , froggortz.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

Lungboy posted:

Have these extra Flash Gitz pics been posted yet?

That set looks incredible. Even if I don't plan on building any Flash Gitz, I'm still probably going to get this box. It looks like it's got so much extra poo poo it may even be better then the current Nob box in terms of cool poo poo.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

Yeah, but on the bright side, that's 1300 points of really purdy Orks. You have more pictures?

here's a few from a while back. I'll get the camera out soon and shoot a few more of the characters.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Power Player posted:

That set looks incredible. Even if I don't plan on building any Flash Gitz, I'm still probably going to get this box. It looks like it's got so much extra poo poo it may even be better then the current Nob box in terms of cool poo poo.

It's insane how much you can customize the snazzguns. The bitz alone could outfit a few units of boyz with extra gubbins and details.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

PierreTheMime posted:

It's insane how much you can customize the snazzguns. The bitz alone could outfit a few units of boyz with extra gubbins and details.
I absolutely have to give a Nob leading a bunch of boyz an underbarrel chainsaw on his shoota.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Really digging this color scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!

PierreTheMime posted:

Definitely. And you can just run them as Lootaz with the size of those loving guns, man. Jesus.

• Locked thread