Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Chase?
This poll is closed.
Augh 46 32.39%
gently caress 96 67.61%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

Rumor has it he's bailing NASCAR.

rumor has it he has no ride and is literally throwing poo poo on the walls of Jalopnik in the hopes that some sticks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Boomer The Cannon posted:

And JRM reject Steve Arpin.

Patrick Carpentier retired after 2011 or 2012 at Montreal, iirc.

I remember that race. He wrecked out after having a good run. He climbed from the car and waited for the track crew to come pick him up; the look on his face while he sat there, knowing it was his last race, was one of the saddest things I've seen from a driver. Definitely not the way he dreamed of ending his career.

Edit- Holy poo poo, looking at his NASCAR stats was brutal. 40 starts. 0 wins. 0 top fives. 0 top 10s. Best Finish: 14th. Final Points Standing: 38th No wonder he was fired. I seem to remember him running better than that. He makes Danica look like the real deal.

SpitztheGreat fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 4, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

SpitztheGreat posted:

I remember that race. He wrecked out after having a good run. He climbed from the car and waited for the track crew to come pick him up; the look on his face while he sat there, knowing it was his last race, was one of the saddest things I've seen from a driver. Definitely not the way he dreamed of ending his career.

Edit- Holy poo poo, looking at his NASCAR stats was brutal. 40 starts. 0 wins. 0 top fives. 0 top 10s. Best Finish: 14th. Final Points Standing: 38th No wonder he was fired. I seem to remember him running better than that. He makes Danica look like the real deal.

Didn't he sit on scaffolding watching the race for the last few laps?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Danica is actually one of the better attempts at crossing over from open wheel.

Think about that.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

SpitztheGreat posted:

He ran for Evernham/Petty when they were absolute dogshit, and got cut loose at the first opportunity possible (a DNQ at Talladega, iirc.) His stats are poo poo, but he got hosed hard.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

Think about that.

Jeff Gordon.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Think about that.

Bored and made a list

John Andretti
Robby Gordon (owns, owns, owns, owns)
Tony Stewart
Scott Pruett
Christian Fittipaldi
Casey Mears
Adrian Fernandez
Paul Tracy
Mad Max Papis
AJ Allmendinger
Patrick Carpentier
Alex Tagliani
Sam Hornish Jr.
Jacques Villeneuve
Dario :allears: Franchitti
Juan Montoya
Billy Boat
Danica Patrick
P.J. Jones
Shigeaki Hattori
Andrew Ranger
A. J. Foyt IV
Larry Foyt

Actually the majority of these drivers seem like they'd make up the 1999 CART grid honestly.

Robby Gordon and Pruett did decent enough fwiw. I think their sportscar racing background helped immensely (Along with Robby Gordon being kind of a badass).

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Yeah stat wise Danica is in the top 10 of that definitely.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

DW's senility may be spilling over to Silly Season:

quote:

During Sunday's prerace show on FOX, anchor Chris Myers asked Waltrip if the two free agents are leaving RFR, and if so, where will their new home in 2015 be. The first part of Waltrip's reply wasn't totally surprising. But then Waltrip dropped an obvious bombshell. Reaching over to put his right hand on the shoulder of younger brother Michael, who just happens to own Michael Waltrip Racing, DW's body language and then verbiage said it all - and left Michael staring straight ahead almost in shock. "And Greg Biffle will go to some two-car team that maybe one time had a third car," Darrell Waltrip said.

I like that Michael Waltrip had to backtrack out of an awkward situation, but could you be any dumber/less discrete?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The joke is that Biffle is going to EGR.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The joke is Biffle

fixed it for you.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Personperson14 posted:

Yeah stat wise Danica is in the top 10 of that definitely.
With the best equipment out of that group, bar none.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Boomer The Cannon posted:

With the best equipment out of that group, bar none.

And probably some of the least natural talent. lovely drivers can poo poo up good equipment, but it's still possible for a good driver to wrangle subpar cars. How many times have we seen Smoke force a broken and poorly setup car into the top10 from a lap or two down?

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

VikingSkull posted:

And probably some of the least natural talent. lovely drivers can poo poo up good equipment, but it's still possible for a good driver to wrangle subpar cars. How many times have we seen Smoke force a broken and poorly setup car into the top10 from a lap or two down?

Yeah. I'm not an expert and maybe this isn't based in fact, but it seems like Danica gets into more unnecessary accidents than anyone currently racing by far, and the most of everyone since maybe Sam Hornish Jr.

You hear it with guys like Kenseth or Stewart (two random examples, but oh well), they have some incident happen up ahead of them but usually they make it through unscathed, with DW throwing out a token "good driving there" or something. I've never heard that praise put on Danica. Every time there's a wreck nearby, she becomes a part of it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yet, despite all that, she still performs better than a guy like Dario Franchitti did when he tried. That motherfucker wrecked even more cars than she has.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Yet, despite all that, she still performs better than a guy like Dario Franchitti did when he tried. That motherfucker wrecked even more cars than she has.

He really hated driving stock cars. Like...really hated it. Not just because he sucked at it but stuff like this:

quote:

He won the IndyCar series title in 2007. He said he thought Nascar was a perfect challenge.

“In Nascar, I was in a situation where I was out of my comfort zone,” Franchitti said.

He never got comfortable because of his injury, which happened in a race in the Nationwide Series, the second-tier level of stock-car racing. He fell further behind. He was 41st in the Sprint Cup standings when Ganassi dissolved the team.

Ganassi had replaced David Stremme with Franchitti because Ganassi had lost his sponsor and Franchitti was thought to be more marketable. But Ganassi began financing the team himself. Finally, he shut down the team and laid off more than 70 employees.

“I had more sleepless nights over this than anything else in racing,” Ganassi said. “It was a terrible thing. A terrible, terrible thing.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/22/sports/autoracing/22indy.html?_r=0

Also it sounded like Chip's NASCAR organization was really beginning to die off right then. Dario was pretty much brought in to save it, and well..you can only do so much.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
lol, Dario sucking cost 70 people their jobs

e- conversely, if you go back and look at one of the races he was astoundingly bad in, there's 70 people supporting that effort behind the scenes

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

The Scottish Steven Wallace

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Also it sounded like Chip's NASCAR organization was really beginning to die off right then. Dario was pretty much brought in to save it, and well..you can only do so much.
Outside of penske, ALL the dodge teams were dogshit and mismanaged in 2008.

AirborneSpore
Mar 2, 2014

That one bounced.
Nascar announced a few changes for the CWTS at Eldora in July.

Qualifying races will be lengthened from 8 to 10 laps.

Pit stops during the two competition cautions that divide the race into three segments will be optional instead of mandatory as they were in 2013.

The order for single-truck, two-lap Keystone Light Pole Qualifying will be determined by random draw instead of practice speeds.

The top five team owners who fail to qualify for the main event through the last-chance qualifying race will be awarded owner points.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

According to jayski, Edwards to Penske could be a thing for next year.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
so who the gently caress is going to board the Roushtanic? Bayne and Stenhouse?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

kidcoelacanth posted:

According to jayski, Edwards to Penske could be a thing for next year.

That's going to be a team to reckon with.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

so who the gently caress is going to board the Roushtanic? Bayne and Stenhouse?

Roush looks through old Gong show entrants and starts calling up Kluever, O'Quinn, etc...

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
As much as everyone hates Roush, losing that team would be pretty lovely for any manufacturer diversity. That would leave Penske as the sole high quality Ford team.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
gently caress Jack Roush.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I hope Kyle Larson's career doesn't take a Casey Atwood-esque swan dive, because he just bought a starter house...and it's not exactly "thrifty":

https://twitter.com/KyleLarsonRacin/status/473524539922456578/photo/1

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

CBJSprague24 posted:

I hope Kyle Larson's career doesn't take a Casey Atwood-esque swan dive, because he just bought a starter house...and it's not exactly "thrifty":

LOL...
@DaleJr: @StenhouseJr @keselowski @KyleLarsonRacin whats inside? 8 bean bags, 80" tv, room full of Capri Sun, life size statue of Optimus Prime?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Slickdrac posted:

As much as everyone hates Roush, losing that team would be pretty lovely for any manufacturer diversity. That would leave Penske as the sole high quality Ford team.
That's what Penske was for Dodge.

Penske: "Team of Last Resort" or "Kiss of Death" for manufactures?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CBJSprague24 posted:

to be fair, in the south that house costs like 50 grand

AirborneSpore
Mar 2, 2014

That one bounced.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I like the first comment from FOX, "Dale Jr. & Brad Keselowski guess what's inside."

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

to be fair, in the south that house costs like 50 grand

It's north of Charlotte so may be slightly more than that.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

WoO is on CBS Sports Network if you're looking for something to watch.

Joey Saldana ran out of gas in a heat race.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Peanut President posted:

It's north of Charlotte so may be slightly more than that.

Here that's like a multi-million dollar house so $50k is only a slight exaggeration really.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Let's go to the wayback machine and see who the Drivers Of The Future were from 2004-2008 when everybody and their brother tried to have a NASCAR farm system:

HMS: Blake Feese, Boston Reid, Kyle Krisiloff, Landon Cassill
RCR: Brandon Miller, Stephen Leicht
CGR: Brian Clauson, Kevin Hamlin
Roush: Todd Kluever, David Ragan, Danny O'Quinn, Jr., Erik Darnell, Colin Braun, Peter Shepherd, Auggie Vidovich
JGR: Brad Coleman, Aric Almirola, Kevin Conway
JRM: Shane Huffman, Mark McFarland
Yates: Matt McCall
Evernham: Erin Crocker, Paul Wolfe, Tracy Hines

v- You're right. Plus, Paul Wolfe, who later became Brad's crew chief.
I didn't get a chance to respond to this yesterday, but if the Busch series had turned out like this, with these drivers running full-time cars and getting a chance to develop their skills, instead of being expected to lap the field by starting one race every 5-6 weeks AND alongside competitive-but-not-Cup-competitive veterans like Mike Bliss, Jason Keller, Kenny Wallace and the like? That poo poo could have been big.

E: Some thought-provoking thoughts from Humpy Wheeler:

quote:

Again, let me rant on about how expensive racing is.
Is it fair that a really talented 20 yr old person that has
won, say, 100 short track races and tries to move up the racing
ladder and finds that an ARCA ride on a super speedway costs
at least $50-75000? Maybe a truck ride at $100,000. Do not even
mention Nationwide. Now this is only one event and if he wants to
go to just six he is staring at $300-400,000 for an ARCA super
speedway race.
Who can do this? Only a small minority of guys with rich family and friends.
This might be the way it is but doesn't have to be.
We should run only USED cars in the K&N series. Let someone buy
a used roller Cup or Nationwide car for $9,000. Put a a $5,000 RESTRICTED
engine in it (sealed off the truck, take your choice) and then restrict
the shocks ($85 please), springs, gears, etc. If ol' Tom Pistone doesn't approve it you don't use it! Goodyear has tons of old tires leftover from
big races so we
use them at a special price of $200 per set. Races are 150 miles
and only one tire change allowed with the race stopped somewhere
between 60 and 80 miles so there are no pit stops like we know them.

So, we have a car that cost $30,000 with an engine that will last
five races. Yep, tires and shocks will be circa 1980 but we did okay on those just ask the Allisons, Pettys, Dale Earnhardt, Waltrips, etc.

Now you can even tow your car to the track with a low boy that
cost $1,500 instead of a one million dollar halter.

Now that is when the cornfed boys from Iowa, the red collared
cowboys from the Texas sagebrush tracks and the blue ridge mountain men would come out and show us some real talent and you know what?

As these boys rose in prominence those grandstands would start to fill up again 'cause we'd see some real racin' and rubbin'. Is this not where
we started and what got us here?

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 5, 2014

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
"Know what else would be good? If unicorns crapped rainbows"

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
If only the love affair with the human-operated car wasn't about to start dying out as fast as the current fanbase.

I'm sure you'll entice lots of city-dwelling Californians that haven't parked anything in 15 months, to watch 4 hours of red-collard cowboys doing the activity they only associate with renting by the minute as a weekend grocery-getter in a vehicle that doesn't even have a hood anymore, never mind the missing combustion engine.

At least you Ken Squier types will have a nice decade of it again being a strictly south-eastern phenomenon at the tail end before it all implodes.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

At least you Ken Squier types will have a nice decade of it again being a strictly south-eastern phenomenon at the tail end before it all implodes.

There's some weird sort of pride factor that Brian France and that family has. They seem unwilling to admit they hosed up with all of the changes made to the sport from 2004-2007, and now keep trying to chase that fanbase they had during that time period that has moved on to other things.

The smart thing for them to do would be to admit they over saturated the market. You don't need to run Nationwide the same weekend as Cup at the same track, and you don't need to run Kansas/Dover/New Hampshire twice a season. If the fans aren't showing up for a 2nd race, they're not showing up.

Try to lure some fans in/back with decent ticket prices, and overall just trying to make the sport as "Fan Friendly" as possible. Pretty much attempt to go "NHRA" on everybody's asses.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Slickdrac posted:

I made a similar comment a few pages back. If Edwards and Biffle both leave Roush next year then the team will only be one step removed from being a start and park team. I don't think they'd even be up to RCR or Ganassi standards. Roush is going to be like DEI in its last year as an independent team, a complete non factor.

It'd be interesting to know what the hell happened over there. Jack Roush almost single handily drove the price of racing through the roof from the mid to late 90s, and then suddenly was overwhelmed on all sides and couldn't keep up. And it's not like they haven't had the drivers, so the problem is at the shop. Penske has done well in adjusting to Ford, and yet Roush, the guy who's been Ford for 20years, still seems to be using specs from the Thunderbird. Where are their engineers? R&D? If you can't win with Edwards and especially Kenseth, then maybe it's time to move on. All good things must come to an end, but the sport definitely needs a big team to replace the void left by Roush. Maybe Petty can keep stepping it up?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Roush is responsible, directly and indirectly, for a gigantic amount of the problems in NASCAR today. I'd welcome seeing his team folding because as bad as that might be for the sport, the poo poo we have now because of him is worse than losing his lovely, unlikeable team could ever be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Uncle Jam posted:

Here that's like a multi-million dollar house so $50k is only a slight exaggeration really.

the property values in the south are low, you see

e-

quote:

Is it fair that a really talented 20 yr old person that has
won, say, 100 short track races and tries to move up the racing
ladder and finds that an ARCA ride on a super speedway costs
at least $50-75000? Maybe a truck ride at $100,000. Do not even
mention Nationwide. Now this is only one event and if he wants to
go to just six he is staring at $300-400,000 for an ARCA super
speedway race.

Humpy, a 20 year old with 100 short track wins already has a development contract

lol, jesus christ, if he thinks that's the average driver what does he consider exceptional

loving retard

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

At least you Ken Squier types

you callin me old? I will fight you

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 5, 2014

• Locked thread