Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

And I'm not gonna touch FF X-2. I won't believe your lies, FF X-2 fans. :colbert:

Try it at least. If you liked the Job system in other Final Fantasy games you'll like this one you just have to put up with..uh everything else in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Wow whoever the dude slamming FFX-2 is, meet me out back right now!!!

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Does the Steam release of FF3 offer anything over the DS version other than graphical updates? Does it offer, as an example, a save point in the final dungeon? Or an optional boss of some kind?

Also, how are the MoogleMail (or whatever it was called) quests handled?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Does the Steam release of FF3 offer anything over the DS version other than graphical updates? Does it offer, as an example, a save point in the final dungeon? Or an optional boss of some kind?

No. It's a port of the Android/iOS version IIRC which plays exactly the same. Don't waste your money on it.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No. It's a port of the Android/iOS version IIRC which plays exactly the same. Don't waste your money on it.

Might pick it up anyway - can't do the Android/iOS versions. Certainly lowers the priority, though.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

forbidden lesbian posted:

Wow whoever the dude slamming FFX-2 is, meet me out back right now!!!

Dude slamming out back? I'll be right there.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
FFX-2 is playable to an individual only if they can get through the first 15 minutes without their eyes having rolled straight out of their skull and onto the bloody carpet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bloodychill posted:

FFX-2 is playable to an individual only if they can get through the first 15 minutes without their eyes having rolled straight out of their skull and onto the bloody carpet.
Iunno, I play video games to have fun. FFX-2's intro was hilarious and clearly not taking itself seriously. And the pop song is actually kinda catchy. Frankly, I wish more FF games opened like that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sign me up for the "FFX-2 is a good game to play and bad at everything else" club, because it's definitely got very enjoyable mechanics as long as those mechanics are not sphere break.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
A bunch of nerds complain about Final Fantasy being too serious, so they release FFX-2 so a bunch of nerds can complain about it not being serious enough.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

forbidden lesbian posted:

A bunch of nerds complain about Final Fantasy being too serious, so they release FFX-2 so a bunch of nerds can complain about it not being serious enough.

They went a bit too far in the opposite direction and made a lot of the characters obnoxiously "wacky"- they turned Rikku into a complete ditsy dunce, and Brother is just terrible. Just. Terrible.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Aurain posted:

Sign me up for the "FFX-2 is a good game to play and bad at everything else" club, because it's definitely got very enjoyable mechanics as long as those mechanics are not sphere break.

Sphere Break owns, sorry nerd. Also X-2's tone and story are amazing. It's a perfect 'What if A 70's action show but also Final Fantasy' and it handled the idea of Spira being liberated and free to actually pursue leisure and dreams now that they're not being culled by a giant space whale pretty well.

Schwartzcough posted:

They went a bit too far in the opposite direction and made a lot of the characters obnoxiously "wacky"- they turned Rikku into a complete ditsy dunce, and Brother is just terrible. Just. Terrible.

Rikku and Brother went from nothing characters to joke characters. They're better that way. Though I'm not sure I'd call Rikku a dunce in X-2. She's not really treated like an idiot, she's just really hyper and kind of a klutz.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 4, 2014

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
FFX-2 is the most fun FF game I've played & if you don't like the gullwings you could just play through the game as tonberry, a cactuar and some other monster. But you shouldnt because the job system is cool.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

On the other hand, Yuna and Paine are great.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
X-2 is a great game that knows it exists just for fun so it has fun. Everyone should play it and just have fun and not take it seriously.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rikku is a little grating but mostly likable, and Brother is loving weird but he has like maybe three scenes.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
And when he does get awful the game makes sure to poo poo on him completely.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

quote:

It's a perfect 'What if A 70's action show but also Final Fantasy' and it handled the idea of Spira being liberated and free to actually pursue leisure and dreams now that they're not being culled by a giant space whale pretty well.

This is perfectly accurate. Unfortunately I hate Charlie's Angels, CHIPS, and JPOP in equal measure so there was nothing for me personally. That's why my qualification was "is playable to an individual only if they can get through the first 15 minutes." If you can get through those first 15 minutes, great. If you love it, great. Not for me.

A game can not take itself seriously and have a sense of style I personally enjoy. FFX-2 was not that game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Okay? You didn't like FFX-2, fair enough, but going 'ugh my eyes rolled out of my head!!!' just makes you look lame and dumb. Please don't be lame and dumb.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I'd do anything for a game with a job system. Except play FF3.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

Okay? You didn't like FFX-2, fair enough, but going 'ugh my eyes rolled out of my head!!!' just makes you look lame and dumb. Please don't be lame and dumb.

Making the generalization that nerds don't like FFX-2 because they don't want light-heartedness in their Final Fantasy is also lame and dumb. Let's do less generalizing and more agreeing that every FF is the worst in the series.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Castle Ipsen had a neat gimmick. Before reading the wall that told me it, I figured row position modifiers had changed. Too bad that wasn't it.

Got that whole thing out of the way so now I can use my airship to explore a little and get some guys up to speed.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'd do anything for a game with a job system. Except play FF3.

Play Bravely Default? It's practically a FF game.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

And why do we have to learn Al-Bhed again? Rikku's right there! Ask her what they're saying! She knows! She's Al-Bhed! IT'S HER LANGUAGE! :argh:

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
FFX-2's job system and battle mechanics are so great. I've been playing through all the extra battles in the International version, and it's just icing on the cake. Almighty Shinra is a really fun battle.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Eddain posted:

I thought it was a FF game? Like a spin-off? Anyway, BD is the best thing SE has done in years and they aren't even the ones who ported it over to NA. It's fantastic, a big love letter to the FF games of your childhood all wrapped up in a gorgeous storybook-style art design. Just play it. It's wonderful. And the sequel is looking to be the same way but with the more sci-fi entries in the series so it's going to be just as awesome.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 5, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Eddain posted:

I am! I'm just saying that FFX-2 is forgiven for a lot because dress spheres.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Torquemadras posted:

I returned in time to see the most epic high-five of the game. This is it.

I really wish that the high-five was the last scene of the game. I bust out laughing when it happened and was kind of bummed out that the game kept going after.

Also, how many people have watched the credits and the bonus audio? Am I mistaken or does Sin really come back? It seems like such a strange thing to add in to what is basically an afterthought.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

I really wish that the high-five was the last scene of the game. I bust out laughing when it happened and was kind of bummed out that the game kept going after.

Also, how many people have watched the credits and the bonus audio? Am I mistaken or does Sin really come back? It seems like such a strange thing to add in to what is basically an afterthought.

It's pretty obviously setting up for FFX-3 which will be announced at TGS or something.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
FFX-3, prequel set with Braska, Auron, and Jecht, with the introduction of Beard Spheres.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

bloodychill posted:

Making the generalization that nerds don't like FFX-2 because they don't want light-heartedness in their Final Fantasy is also lame and dumb. Let's do less generalizing and more agreeing that every FF is the worst in the series.

That's a generalization :v:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Final Fantasy X-2's battle system is what Final Fantasy 13's battle system utterly failed to be.

If they took the exact same ATB mechanics of X-2, added a stagger mechanic and two new jobs for "tanking" a la a Sentinel (and an equivalent for magical attacks), you'd have probably something truly amazing on your hands.

As it stands X-2's battle system is still loving great. Live-action, fast-pasted ATB battles that actually play better on Active mode than on Wait mode, unlike every other ATB system in the franchise.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Final Fantasy X-2's battle system is what Final Fantasy 13's battle system utterly failed to be.

If they took the exact same ATB mechanics of X-2, added a stagger mechanic and two new jobs for "tanking" a la a Sentinel (and an equivalent for magical attacks), you'd have probably something truly amazing on your hands.

As it stands X-2's battle system is still loving great. Live-action, fast-pasted ATB battles that actually play better on Active mode than on Wait mode, unlike every other ATB system in the franchise.

Those tank classes exist in Dark Knight, Alchemist and Samurai. Hell, one alchemist and a DK can tank the entire game and never die.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

I'm coming towards the end of my FFIX replay at the moment. It's such a sweet little game. The storyline is really tight, the characters are strong, and the soundtrack is among the best in the series. I can't understand how it didn't spawn spin-offs and sequels/prequels ala FFVII - it's the kind of cartoony, fun world that makes sense to revisit for multiple games. Something like FFVII on the other hand strikes me as a much more stand-alone story that has been progressively poo poo over and devalued by each subsequent release.

One thing I think was a mistake in FFIX though was, at the beginning of disc 3, going back to Alexandria. It completely grinds the storyline to a halt and feels like an obvious ploy to stretch out gameplay time. I wish that instead of that section there had been a longer part around the wind/earth/fire/water shrines, actually allowing you to select your teams and play through yourself. Apart from that, it's all such a neat little package.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ozza posted:

One thing I think was a mistake in FFIX though was, at the beginning of disc 3, going back to Alexandria. It completely grinds the storyline to a halt and feels like an obvious ploy to stretch out gameplay time. I wish that instead of that section there had been a longer part around the wind/earth/fire/water shrines, actually allowing you to select your teams and play through yourself. Apart from that, it's all such a neat little package.

In some ways I agree, but in others I appreciate that IX has members of your team constantly going off and handling things on their own. It makes them feel like real people, unlike most games where characters join your team and are then content to sit on the airship all day unless you lead them around personally.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Vivi was the best FF character.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Hmm does the squenix store charge for preorder in full at the time of preorder or does it wait till it's about to ship?

Really want that Theatrhythm collectors edition

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Wait, what was Rikku in the first game? I don't think she changed much.

If you can, skip all scenes in X-2. Even when they're being campy it's still not good.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Wait, what was Rikku in the first game? I don't think she changed much.

If you can, skip all scenes in X-2. Even when they're being campy it's still not good.

She was...worried about Yuna? Kind of not bright but willing to help out. Upbeat. Basically the exact same character they just gave her less screen time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ozza posted:

I'm coming towards the end of my FFIX replay at the moment. It's such a sweet little game. The storyline is really tight, the characters are strong, and the soundtrack is among the best in the series. I can't understand how it didn't spawn spin-offs and sequels/prequels ala FFVII - it's the kind of cartoony, fun world that makes sense to revisit for multiple games. Something like FFVII on the other hand strikes me as a much more stand-alone story that has been progressively poo poo over and devalued by each subsequent release.

I dunno, I always felt that the cooldown at the start of Disk 3 was pretty great as the calm before the storm. At least for me, I enjoyed it even more on my replay because you know everything is going to go to poo poo after Treno.