Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Chief
Nov 2, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

It's going to be Doctor Who. The license basically made double the votes of anything else, it's easy to make a signature set from as the TARDIS is iconic and they only recently announced that whatever rights conflict existed before has been cleared up. Why publicly announce that they are now accepting Doctor Who ideas if there wasn't a desire to make one?

If Doctor Who doesn't win I can see it being because there's already a set on the way independent of Ideas.

My dream would be one set and a line of minifigs to cover every Doctor and some villains.

I really hope so...Between myself and both my kids, we would be needing 3 mini-fig sets along with what ever other sets the come out with.

Now, if which Doctors would be the rare ones in a box? John Hurt and ???/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Red_Chief posted:

I really hope so...Between myself and both my kids, we would be needing 3 mini-fig sets along with what ever other sets the come out with.

Now, if which Doctors would be the rare ones in a box? John Hurt and ???/

John Hurt, Paul McGann and alternative costume Peter Capaldi.

Normal costume Capaldi is included with the Tardis set. For brand synergy he's the only one to get an alternative costume.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Designer video for the Mini Cooper. Really packs in the parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_6FCTLzvqE

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

smackfu posted:

Designer video for the Mini Cooper. Really packs in the parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_6FCTLzvqE

Is going to look awesome next to my VW Camper!

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Yes please.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Pretty sure some other crappy brick system already has the Who license.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

door Door door posted:

I know I've seen minifig-style Doctor Who characters at my local comic shop. So there's that.

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.

door Door door posted:

Character Building. I haven't purchased any of the building sets, but their versions of the blind bagged collectible mini figures are alright.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Character Building have cancelled all their Doctor Who items. In 2013 they announced a new TARDIS console room set and other vehicles but these have all been cancelled.

No loss, they're all pretty crappy.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The_Doctor posted:

Character Building have cancelled all their Doctor Who items. In 2013 they announced a new TARDIS console room set and other vehicles but these have all been cancelled.

Also LEGO specifically mentioned that any licensing issues involved with Dr Who had been resolved.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've beenn workinng on somethinng usinng two enntire sets of Bennnny's Spaceship x3. Here's the beginnenngs of it inn a small preview. I aim to use every sinngle piece inn both sets for this thinng. It might be difficult to guess what it's goinng to be, but fanns of spaceship Legos might unnderstannd my hinnts.

:getin:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 4, 2014

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

THat looks like a walkway for a space station, reminds me of some of the things in the classic space ideas book.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

A good plann!

Red_Chief
Nov 2, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

Finished up Ecto-1 and yet again Lego gives me a handful of extra stuff but manages to miss one transparent round stud! Fortunately it's not a big deal as I just used one of the spare white ones in its place, but this is the third set in a row that this has happened to me and I have been meticulously making sure all the bags go into a sorting tray so I don't lose anything.

If Benny's Spaceship is missing a part I will consider myself snakebit.

My griping out of the way, I loved the way they built the Cadillac fins on Ecto-1. The two wingplates thing totally works for it and isn't just a gratuitous "aren't we cool" bit. It legitimately makes the set look sleek. Bravo.

I was finally building the Ecto-1 last night and mine was missing one of the two the front fenders (that mount next to the hood)....

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Somebody was asking about Western Emmit.

Gamestop is doing a Lego Day promotion and you might be able to get one with a game purchase.

The games will be discounted too, and for what its worth I've played the LOTR one, one of the Star Wars titles, and the first Batman and think they are pretty fun.

Edit: broken link. Just go here and scroll down, sorry.
http://www.gamestop.com/

deoju fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 4, 2014

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

No loss, they're all pretty crappy.
There's a guy at my work who spent a lot of time, and I presume money, tracking down all the various versions of the Doctors and a lot of the companions from the previous company, he's also a Lego fan so it's going to be hilarious watching him have to do it all again if Lego gets the license

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I have the character Builder Who villains minifigs. The doctors and companions and sets all looked crummy so I never got them. (I did kinda want the TARDIS, but I just built my own)

I will buy any and all lego Dr Who.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I've been trawling eBay for the last couple weeks for Lego Space. So far I've grabbed a decently-priced Stellar Recon Voyager, Pulsar Charger, and Galaxy Commander (although I didn't notice until after I paid that the two yellow helmets are modern, not classic). I somehow forgot entirely about the Galaxy Commander despite it being one of my most-desired sets as a kid, and never went looking for it before. After this, I think I'll only be short one or two Space 'flagships'. I need to rebuild some for some photos.

Classic sets are getting more and more expensive; it's getting hard to grab a Mega Core Magnetizer for less than $100 these days.

Also, every single blue Classic Space figure on eBay has been labeled Benny and price-bumped 25-50%.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Help me track down the name of an old set! Around the mid 90s I had this underwater themed Lego set. It came with a baseplate, was themed around an underwater base (research station?) and notable pieces were the huge transparent glass sections of the base itself. Possibly blue trans? I think it might also have featured a crane grabby thing to pick up those cool crystal pieces (like are now featuring in the arctic set).

Anyone got any idea?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Help me track down the name of an old set! Around the mid 90s I had this underwater themed Lego set. It came with a baseplate, was themed around an underwater base (research station?) and notable pieces were the huge transparent glass sections of the base itself. Possibly blue trans? I think it might also have featured a crane grabby thing to pick up those cool crystal pieces (like are now featuring in the arctic set).

Anyone got any idea?

You lucky bastard, I'm pretty sure it was this set.

http://brickset.com/sets/6195-1/Neptune-Discovery-Lab

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Where is going to be the best place to buy the Blu Ray when the movie comes out, or is it too soon to tell yet?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

VaultAggie posted:

I´ve got that one. I always mean to rebuild it someday but I never get around to it.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

VaultAggie posted:

That was it! Or something like it, possibly I might have had others on that range. Why lucky? Was/Is it rare or expensive?

E: Just looked at more pics, was definitely that one! To eBay! Thanks :D

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 5, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

VaultAggie posted:

I liked this set as the set but it was loving horrible for doing anything else with. I know Lego is "use weird pieces in creative ways" but gently caress was that set full of way too many of them. As someone who makes custom stuff on a set-by-set basis(as in, using only parts from a given set to make a different creation as a limiter) it was really bad at that. As the set on the box though, it ruled.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

That was it! Or something like it, possibly I might have had others on that range. Why lucky? Was/Is it rare or expensive?

E: Just looked at more pics, was definitely that one! To eBay! Thanks :D

No problem! I always lusted after that sweet as a kid and I almost had my chance at it at a goodwill auction but got outbid.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Pyroclastic posted:

I've been trawling eBay for the last couple weeks for Lego Space. So far I've grabbed a decently-priced Stellar Recon Voyager, Pulsar Charger, and Galaxy Commander (although I didn't notice until after I paid that the two yellow helmets are modern, not classic). I somehow forgot entirely about the Galaxy Commander despite it being one of my most-desired sets as a kid, and never went looking for it before. After this, I think I'll only be short one or two Space 'flagships'. I need to rebuild some for some photos.

Classic sets are getting more and more expensive; it's getting hard to grab a Mega Core Magnetizer for less than $100 these days.

Also, every single blue Classic Space figure on eBay has been labeled Benny and price-bumped 25-50%.

Benny was the worst thing to happen to trying to buy cheap classic space sets!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's okay, everyone knows the black spacemen are the coolest. :colbert:

Yellow is pretty cool too.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

xzzy posted:

That's okay, everyone knows the black spacemen are the coolest. :colbert:

Yellow is pretty cool too.

Black is the coolest, yellow just looked weird.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

:downs:

This is why they didn't show a front plan view in press release...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To be fair, the original had a downs look to it too when you see it head on.

Only thing that really seems off is the fender flares and the windshield shape.. which you can't do much about in lego.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

xzzy posted:

To be fair, the original had a downs look to it too when you see it head on.

I was referring to the lack of any angle from beltline to roof.

edit: spelling

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The VW bug is like that too, small angle changes like that are just really hard in lego I guess.

I've never been able to do it, and apparently master builders can't do it either!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mitsune posted:

I hear you. I have a friend who is looking forward to these sets to hit Target so he can use all his gift cards.

This is the same friend who will not forgive me for pointing out that the Arctic Supply Plane looks very similar to the Sea Duck from TaleSpin.:monocle: I must have one!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_C-119_Flying_Boxcar

e: dat icebreaker! dose habitat segments! The freakin' unimog towing a science station!

I showed my fiancee the Mini last night and her voice went up into the "only dogs can hear" register she normally reserves for cats jumping into boxes or the fluffier bunnies. So I guess we're getting that at some point.

Red_Chief
Nov 2, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

Whats annoying is I have about a dozen Lego Space minifigs but the blue one as he came out a few years after the red/white/yellows.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Pyroclastic posted:

how many people do you think are intentionally breaking the chinstrap on perfectly good classic helmets :pwn:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm sure every seller has a drawer full of broken chinstrap helmets that they've been unable to sell for the last twenty years because they aren't bad enough to throw away, but who wants busted up helmets?

Lego's masterstroke was making them trendy. :v:

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.

RodShaft posted:

I have the character Builder Who villains minifigs. The doctors and companions and sets all looked crummy so I never got them. (I did kinda want the TARDIS, but I just built my own)

I will buy any and all lego Dr Who.

Some of them are alright. I really like the 4th and 9th Doctor figures, and the River Song. I have way too many 11th Doctors from blind bags, though. All the figures and accessories are way too similar to feel out in the bags.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The freebie balloon cart set is pretty adorable, except for the fact that the balloons look very much like lollipops.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
I put in a $75 order the day before that freebie became available :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mr. Glass posted:

I put in a $75 order the day before that freebie became available :argh:

To prevent future anguish, the freebies are announced in the monthly store calendar, which is usually released a month early. Here's the July one, which is pretty crummy in my opinion. A minifig with $75 purchase?

http://www.bricksandbloks.com/july-2014-lego-store-calendar-deals-promos-events/