Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/284450/

Well this is interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

My most wanted DLC feature: the access to the new areas making no sense, just to see people sperging about "my geography :argh:" even more. Please don't disappoint me, From.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Scags posted:

I'm playing through as a Strength character and looking for a weapon to use. I've got dual caestus that I've been using, and they are great, but I am looking for something to compliment them. I have tried dual morning stars, and I like them, but I don't love them. I have also tried the large club and the great sword. What do you guys think would go best? The caestus are fast and short range, so I'm thinking something broad and sweeping would be ideal, but I'm not loving the Greatsword. Maybe a different sword or a hammer/axe with a wide sweep? I just entered Harvest Valley, but I've beaten the game on another character so I know where stuff is.

Edit - I also just realized I forgot to grab the Drangleic sword. I'll go get that. I remember it being good.

Drangleic Sword scales best with dexterity.

In the greatsword category, I'd recommend the Mastodon Greatsword for a strength build. Regular titanite path, nice reach, good strength scaling. Bastard Sword move-set.

You could also consider the Drakekeeper's Greataxe. 'A' strength scaling at +10, and the two-handed R1s have very broad horizontal sweeps with good reach, and the two-handed R2 is a spin-to-win attack.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

VisAbsoluta posted:

My most wanted DLC feature: the access to the new areas making no sense, just to see people sperging about "my geography :argh:" even more. Please don't disappoint me, From.

Actually it would be funny if the new DLC areas were placed in the world map so that they would make perfect geographical sense, just to see people go "but... but :qq:"

(To be honest though, I really do think the map design was one of the most amazing things about DS1.)

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Is it really true that Mundane was nerfed in the most recent patch?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Killed Smelter Demon on the first try as melee solo last night. He's still got an absurd amount of HP, but I was cleaning him out at a fairly reasonable rate with a +8 Zweihander(no infusion). Making a point to throw on some relatively high fire resist gear so his aura doesn't wear you down as much helps a lot.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 5, 2014

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

ninotoreS posted:

In all seriousness, because it looks TOTALLY SWEET (it's really for PvE, people that use it in PvP are... unwise).

Actually, Soul Greatsword is a good followup or a good way to punish people in PvP. It's got good range and a fast cast speed so it's a good way to punish some one who either rolls erroneously or rolls towards you during a combo.

In PvE its crowd control capabilities are kind of undercut by how many other big AoE spells int users get.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Time_pants posted:

Now that GRS and GRW have been nerfed, I'm thinking about ditching my Hex build and going pure Sorcery. I have some questions, though:

1) In all seriousness, what is the point of Soul Greatsword? I see people using it, but why? It seems very easy to dodge and the damage seems so-so. Am I completely overlooking something?

2) What is a good weapon for Sorcery builds? Blue Flame seems somewhat tempting, but I don't like how much damage it loses compared to a good Catalyst. I know the Moonlight Greatsword is supposed to be quite good, but is there anything else anyone can recommend? I have quite a few points to throw around.

3) Has it ever been clearly established how useful Cast Speed is? Is it worth sticking with the Lion Mage Set?

1). It looks cool? That's probably the only reason why people use it in PvP I think.
e: Although I've been proven wrong by other posts.

2). I really don't know much about the possible melee weapons you can use, at least have a Dagger on hand at all times.

3). Cast Speed is really good and useful. I saw a Webm of someone with 500+ casting speed and he was hurling Lightning Spears like no tomorrow.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Is it just me, or did they increase the price of the season pass (in Europe, at least)? I'm pretty sure it was 19.99 euro when it went up, and then i checked again today and it costs 24.99 euro.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TGLT posted:

In PvE its crowd control capabilities are kind of undercut by how many other big AoE spells int users get.

Most of those hold you in place and hit randomly though.

quote:

3). Cast Speed is really good and useful. I saw a Webm of someone with 500+ casting speed and he was hurling Lightning Spears like no tomorrow.

500? I'm at 50 int/45 faith/50 att now and with the clear bluestone ring+2 I'm at 300 or so. Did he have max int, faith, and attunement?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, the AoE sorceries are incredibly finicky a lot of the time.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

500? I'm at 50 int/45 faith/50 att now and with the clear bluestone ring+2 I'm at 300 or so. Did he have max int, faith, and attunement?
Maybe, I'll have to check again - I know he was wearing the Lion Mage outfit, along with maybe the Hexer's Hood or the Black Hood - his chime also matters.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Freak Futanari posted:

Is it just me, or did they increase the price of the season pass (in Europe, at least)? I'm pretty sure it was 19.99 euro when it went up, and then i checked again today and it costs 24.99 euro.

Wow, you're right. It was at 19,99€ when I bought it (still had page open) and now it's 24,99€. That's... kinda lovely I guess? Glad I have no self control and immediately bought it when I saw it :downs:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
It was a pricing error I bet, the announced price was 25 buckaroos

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I'm kind of torn between the Red Rust Sword, the Drakekeeper Sword, and the Claymore for a new mainhand weapon. I have a ton of points to play with (SL 220), so I can do whatever. Any suggestions? I'm mostly intending to use these for PvE.

Also, I'm going to go with the suggestion of having a Dagger handy. Is 40/40 Dark or all-20s Mundane stronger?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

neetengie posted:

Maybe, I'll have to check again - I know he was wearing the Lion Mage outfit, along with maybe the Hexer's Hood or the Black Hood - his chime also matters.

Oh right, the catalyst matters too. Does it add in the casting speed value of the equipped weapon on the stats page? If not I'm actually around 400 then.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Time_pants posted:

2) What is a good weapon for Sorcery builds? Blue Flame seems somewhat tempting, but I don't like how much damage it loses compared to a good Catalyst. I know the Moonlight Greatsword is supposed to be quite good, but is there anything else anyone can recommend? I have quite a few points to throw around.

Pick your favorite weapon, make it Magic, cover it in crystals.
Moonlight's great, katanas/halberds/etc are popular for good reason, dagger if you like to crit fish. You're right in that Blue Flame isn't a good primary catalyst, though you can improve it by buffing it. And I think the Dragonrider soul weapons have magic damage, so they'd respond well to sorcery buffs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Here's to another 100 heads taken! :toot:

This is really fun to play. Manikkin claws definitely aren't good but they don't such horribly. You can stunlock people pretty easily to get several hits in. If someone is clad in full Havel's or something it does barely any damage though, so I pull out the pyromancy for them. Great combustion is so good for so many reasons. I'd say its the best spell in the game. Only problem is you can only get two copies of it per run.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
loving Darklurkers you pieces of poo poo!

The game finally found a way to frustrate me.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Time_pants posted:

I'm kind of torn between the Red Rust Sword, the Drakekeeper Sword, and the Claymore for a new mainhand weapon. I have a ton of points to play with (SL 220), so I can do whatever. Any suggestions? I'm mostly intending to use these for PvE.

Also, I'm going to go with the suggestion of having a Dagger handy. Is 40/40 Dark or all-20s Mundane stronger?
Drakekeeper weapons all the time. They have amazing weapons for strength characters.
For the Dagger situation, I'm not that knowledgeable on their infusions so I can't help there, sorry.

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer

neetengie posted:

Drakekeeper weapons all the time. They have amazing weapons for strength characters.
For the Dagger situation, I'm not that knowledgeable on their infusions so I can't help there, sorry.

Speaking of Drakekeeper weapons, is there any special to the Drakekeeper Ultra Greatsword aside from using it for Fashion Souls? Fully upgraded it does roughly ~100 damage less than say my Gyrm Great Hammer and it's roughly about the same speed, just different movesets.

Looking it up online the only thing I see is just how rare it is and nothing else.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Honest Thief posted:

It was a pricing error I bet, the announced price was 25 buckaroos

Yeah, it's just too bad that 25 euro is actually around 35 buckaroos.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Sorry for my lovely ability to make gifs, but :haw:

http://i.minus.com/igRYyk9kazwbX.gif

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Freak Futanari posted:

Yeah, it's just too bad that 25 euro is actually around 35 buckaroos.

yeah well, pricing conversions usually ammount to be 1$=1€

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

VisAbsoluta posted:

Sorry for my lovely ability to make gifs, but :haw:

http://i.minus.com/igRYyk9kazwbX.gif

Coming soon to Xbox One and PS4: Call of Dark Souls: Phantoms!

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

TGLT posted:

Actually, Soul Greatsword is a good followup or a good way to punish people in PvP. It's got good range and a fast cast speed so it's a good way to punish some one who either rolls erroneously or rolls towards you during a combo.

If you say so.

All I know is that it never hits me, and I almost always get in at least one free hit after I dodge-roll it, and sometimes I can even get a backstab.

quote:

or rolls towards you during a combo

Not sure what you mean by this, because dodge-rolling toward the caster (and under the slash) is what should be done every time someone tries this spell in PvP.

RBA Starblade posted:

Some people do glass-cannon builds that get Attunement up to 99 extremely quickly.

It's effective for PvE, I guess.

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 5, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ninotoreS posted:

Keep at a sort of medium distance and he won't try it much. You wanna bait out the vertical overhead cleaver slam, then de-lock and attack the arm. If you're patient and this is the only time you're damaging him, you'll sever the arm before too long. Just watch out for the similar looking attack that actually shoots out dark magic damage once the clever lands. That's nasty.

Btw, cutting off the left arm will get you a lockstone.

Fighting the Rotten after you've cut off both arms is pretty amusing. He'll keep attempting to attack with his stumps.

I'm using a battleaxe and am a squishy mage otherwise on this character so I really don't have any weapon with the range to chop off his arms, sadly. That being said I've found I do the best playing conservatively with my face mashed up against him. Just swing once or twice, prepare for the Rotten to swing, etc. The tubby bastard's actually an incredibly boring fight that is almost guaranteed to one-shot me is the main issue (The secondary issue is I got here at an incredibly low soul level, about 150K, and at 3 AM there's no one to buddy up with at that level). I can reliably cut away 67% to 90% of his health that way until something stupid happens. I.e. I fail the stupid grab or get pushed by his bulk into a tar pit.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Alkydere posted:

I'm using a battleaxe and am a squishy mage otherwise on this character so I really don't have any weapon with the range to chop off his arms, sadly. That being said I've found I do the best playing conservatively with my face mashed up against him. Just swing once or twice, prepare for the Rotten to swing, etc. The tubby bastard's actually an incredibly boring fight that is almost guaranteed to one-shot me is the main issue (The secondary issue is I got here at an incredibly low soul level, about 150K, and at 3 AM there's no one to buddy up with at that level). I can reliably cut away 67% to 90% of his health that way until something stupid happens. I.e. I fail the stupid grab or get pushed by his bulk into a tar pit.
Just so you know as long as an attack hits the arm, enough damage will make it fall off. I did that with a Dragonrider Bow, and the shots happened to go to his arm when he was doing some swinging moves. So if you time it right where his arm will be in front of his chest/where the lock on target is, and you fire spells there, enough damage to the arm will cause it to fall off.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Alkydere posted:

You can summon two NPCs for the fight, regardless of your SM, whom are fantastic for keeping the Rotten distracted. Lucatiel, and a bowman dude whose name I forget.

The bowman dude's sign is near the big dino-whatever skeleton in the last little poison statue clearing before the boss-fog. Lucatiel's sign is beside the second bonfire, after you've found and talked to her in the area (you need to make a drop off the ledge near the beginning of the area to a hidden path below, you'll find Lucatiel leaning against a wall in a tunnel after that).

And make sure you're not in the Champions covenant, obviously.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Soul Greatsword is amazing in both PvP and PvE. Mine does a bit over a thousand damage on the average player close to the hilt, somewhere around 600 at the tip. It comes out quickly, goes through walls (big time sippie-stopper for that reason), and most importantly, can be used to punish rolls incredibly well. I've ended so many invasions in less than ten seconds from engagement by just getting off a running attack and immediately following up with a Soul Greatsword to smack them at the end of the predictable dodge roll that follows. It's also great against groups of players, as they'll often think they're safe circling behind you while you're focused on somebody else, only to be skewered for a thousand damage. In PvE it's one of the best aoe spells because it does a bunch of damage all at once and doesn't root you in place forever.

It's best used on characters that run with a Catalyst in their off-hand at all times. Like any spell, if you're predictable with it, you won't hit people very often. Soul Greatsword allows you to get pretty creative with your spellcasting. It's easily my favorite spell in DS2.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

ninotoreS posted:

If you say so.

All I know is that it never hits me, and I almost always get in at least one free hit after I dodge-roll it, and sometimes I can even get a backstab.

Not sure what you mean by this, because dodge-rolling toward the caster (and under the slash) is what should be done every time someone tries this spell in PvP.

I'm not talking about rolling into the spell itself, I'm saying if you do something like pop soul spear and they roll towards you then as long as you know how to punish their roll properly you can do tons of free damage. It's like baiting some one into rolling by just walking towards them, then slapping them with a long reach weapon towards the end of their roll. Soul Greatsword isn't the only way to punish rolls, but it's fast and has long reach and does more damage the closer they are to you.

It's not going to work on every one, but when it works it works real well.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

woodenchicken posted:

loving Darklurkers you pieces of poo poo!

The game finally found a way to frustrate me.

Do you have lightning miracles? If yes congrats on beating Darklurker.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
E:nevermind, already covered

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Normal invasions serve a purpose, or at least they did before this game. They were there to present a challenge to those who chose to stay alive, either because they wanted coop help or because they sought the invasions specifically. The way it is now is bad because you can't opt out without going offline so they made the items needed to invade scarce. This is a problem but it's not the same problem. The rats don't serve a purpose. You lose nothing, gain nothing, all that happens is your time is wasted. There's no threat and there's no reward, so what's the point in doing it at all?

The belfries and rat domains are incredibly short and easy without their online component. The challenge in those areas is explicitly supposed to come from other players. Maybe you could argue that the purpose of the covenant (adding flavor and challenge to their 2 areas) failed because it's too easy to get past them, but actually participating is far from pointless no matter which side you're on.

Vs. the rat team it's only an opportunity for you, since you can get through the area in their world or get a lockstone (which yes is not great if you're not a rat yourself, but that's a problem with the lockstone distribution and not a total absence of a reward). For the rat team you get covenant rewards and it's pretty much the most guilt free PvP you can do, which probably doesn't matter to most of the game's players but as a non-competitive person who still plays some competitive games I think it's a plus. It's 0% risk-100% opportunity for the phantom and it's the rat team's choice to participate, so it can be fun no matter which side you are.

The covenant rewards aren't bad because you need (comparatively) few wins to hit rank 3, and the most immediately useful rewards only need rank 2 at 20 wins. But the real reward is getting to hear more of the Rat King's smooth and sexy voice every time you rank up.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 5, 2014

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

What's the consensus on the best greatshield? I'm using kings right now, but my strengths at 30 and a couple more points and I could use almost any of the greatshields I have

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Bob NewSCART posted:

What's the consensus on the best greatshield? I'm using kings right now, but my strengths at 30 and a couple more points and I could use almost any of the greatshields I have

Havel's for physical, rebel's for magic?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Dragonrider greatshield for weight/stability I think.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

kazil posted:

Do you have lightning miracles? If yes congrats on beating Darklurker.

I don't get why you'd go out of your way to fight the optional boss if you are just going to cheese it. I guess if you wanted the rewards really badly but the thing most people want from it is the Dragon Chime. You can just push grandpa Gandahl down a flight of stairs if that's all you care about.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get why you'd go out of your way to fight the optional boss if you are just going to cheese it. I guess if you wanted the rewards really badly but the thing most people want from it is the Dragon Chime. You can just push grandpa Gandahl down a flight of stairs if that's all you care about.

He's not that hard to fight with or without using the things he's weak against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RBA Starblade posted:

He's not that hard to fight with or without using the things he's weak against.

I also wouldn't say using weapons a boss is weak against is "cheesing" anything. I mean, is it cheesing enemies to use a sword instead of just my bare fists?