Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

victrix posted:

What did I just read :psyduck:

Guy said "It's just crazy that..."

I gave him something crazier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

my dad posted:

A combination of the game being his life's work and not wanting anyone to take it from him, and a bunch of idiots asking him "Will the source code be released if you happen to, say, die in a traffic accident?" until he included a clause in his testament saying that DF source code will only be released if he dies of natural causes.

Also because he wants to spend his time working on the game instead of managing other people's code contributions. If you've ever managed a popular open-source project, you'll understand where he's coming from.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Anyway, to contribute something, here are two amazing DF videos I just found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wKW030fKbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is1wSwdaM2w

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

victrix posted:

What did I just read :psyduck:

Bay12ers are crazy fuckers.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

my dad posted:

Anyway, to contribute something, here are two amazing DF videos I just found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wKW030fKbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is1wSwdaM2w

Okay, those are legit amazing. The guy's doing a lot with what, 4 tones? Maybe 3? Either way, it's a shame there aren't more of them.

Oh well, at least I found this and this. Apparently, the guy in the second vid does more DF sketches, definitely gonna have to look them up, as sketch videos are pretty rad.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I told my mate that after two years toady is doing a new DF release, he was surprised, "its finished? Or is it just more; 'goblins are still broken but we can totally jump over tables now'?"

yeah, the latter.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Honk.

Toady One posted:

DF 0.34.11 has become a two year old today. The list of remaining issues has been cut by 25% so far this month, which is good. When I was testing a werewolf bug, I found I had to restructure all of the generated raw object processing, which was a little unsettling, but it's happier now, and all of the various indexes and so on can survive new object types being generated even after play begins now. Not that we generate any objects that late yet. We do have a few generated in the early years of world gen now (rather than at the beginning).

I hope that doesn't kick DFHack in the knees!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Is there any way to turn off the silly ore processing part in Masterwork? I hate having to go ore-bearing rock -> ore -> bar, it just seems to add an extra step arbitrarily; not to mention it screws with Workflow on blocks, since it's a source of blocks in itself.

Also, what's the difference between r3 and r4 of dfhack? All LNPs seem to include r3, even the latest one.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

scamtank posted:

Honk.

I hope that doesn't kick DFHack in the knees!

It necessarily will for a while. I'm sure the memory hackers will figure it out eventually, but until then, it will completely cripple DFHack.

DFHack was crippled the last two times a major release came out too, and it took months before it was working again. I expect the same.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Oh, I know the memory addresses are scrambled with every version number. I had to eat it firsthand when the 34.xx cycle went on. I just hope that little change in how things work doesn't necessitate big changes to the API.

canepazzo posted:

Also, what's the difference between r3 and r4 of dfhack? All LNPs seem to include r3, even the latest one.

A big lump of new features. r4 came out in a really clandestine manner from someone other than Peterix, so it flew under the radar for many.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

canepazzo posted:

Is there any way to turn off the silly ore processing part in Masterwork? I hate having to go ore-bearing rock -> ore -> bar, it just seems to add an extra step arbitrarily; not to mention it screws with Workflow on blocks, since it's a source of blocks in itself.

I haven't tried it, but I think it should be enough to just disable the relevant buildings in the launcher (ore processor and maybe slag pit too if you want to get rid of that as well). Might have to generate a new world for it to take effect.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Dunno why you'd turn ore processing off, it's completely automatic and gets you like 3-4x the usual amount from each piece of ore.

Ketsa
Feb 27, 2014

Disappointing.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Ketsa posted:

Disappointing.

I'm guessing that the majority of this content has yet to be revealed.

I hope...

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I'm more interested at seeing how well this translates over to the modding scene. I primarily play Deon's Genesis and Apocalypse mods, so I'm anticipating how it turns out.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I can't for the life of me find any actual raws Toady would've posted, but weapons are going to have distinct wind-up and recovery time/reload stats now. That's pretty huge for differentiating stuff like lances and sledgehammers and rapiers and repeating crossbows.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So arm all your dwarves with swords because a decently trained sworddwarf will dismember everything with a longer wind up time.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm getting married the beginning of next month... Wonder if my wife will be mad if I bring a laptop on the honeymoon? :getin:

Do what I did and get your wife hooked on DF too. :v:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

ToxicFrog posted:

Do what I did and get your wife hooked on DF too. :v:

You got Pham's wife hooked on DF? That's low, man. Real low.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!

Ghostwoods posted:

You got Pham's wife hooked on DF? That's low, man. Real low.

She wants the D...F

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is she Down To Fortress?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
She's up all night to get megaconstructions.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The forgotten beast has come!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Wife cancels Honeymoon: Goon Inaccessible

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Thief! Protect the hoard from skulking filth!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Hey baby let me show you my "pump stack" :pervert:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham McUrist has been very unhappy lately. His wife suffered an addiction recently. He has been bothered by terrible innuendo recently.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

A vile force of darkness has come.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
An ambush! Curse them!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Baby snatcher...? :confused:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Relax, they're only trees.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

This is a native gold puzzlebox. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the item is an image of a native gold puzzlebox. On this image is an image of a native gold puzzlebox.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Oooh yea baby, Strike the Earth! STRIKE THE EARTH!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

That feature list for the release seems so underwhelming for 2 years work

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Sometimes I tell myself he's doing a lot of the behind-the-scenes work so future development will produce tangible results more quickly.

:negative:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Well, yeah. Tons and tons of it has been to make the world at large seem less cardboard-y and static outside the confines of the worldgen machine. You can't exactly see an annihilated city guard slowly re-establishing its chain of command and ranks after a spontaneous violent revolt when you're playing fortress mode.

There were also months-long periods where he was essentially treading water, dredging up a thing revealing two new busted weak points in reconciling the abstract and real-time.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wish we got at least one big thing for Fortress mode like guilds or a magic system or religion or something.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wish we got at least one big thing for Fortress mode like guilds or a magic system or religion or something.

We're entering the stage now where he'll add a few "quick" things that really shake up the gameplay - IIRC last time he added minecarts in a day or something stupid like that.

Two years on world generation, two weeks changing the game, Toady one folks. (That said, I do think the shift to worlds carrying on as the game plays is a major one, and I can see why it could take someone two years,)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Did he abstract breeding such that animal populations will re-populate in fortress mode instead of being hunted to extinction in a matter of years?