Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
E

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

B

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I vote for D but would put in a second preference for its close relative B in a run-off if D is out of the question.

sureaboutthatthing
Oct 15, 2013
C

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

A: YF-23 (1)
B: nothing to seehere, Rogue0071, Icecream Janeway, Obliterati, Pakled, wukkar, PBJ, cokerpilot, Mirdini, Defeatist Elitist, xian, Hitlers Gay Secret, Rincewind, Patter Song, Freudian, JT Jag, Unwise_Cashew, Lenisto, Reveilled, Rejected Fate, Dry Hump, Veryslightlymad, mcclay, OddObserver, Captain No-mates, ChrisAsmadi, Kajeesus, Aeromancia, Sealard (30)
C: Bobbin Threadbare, GrossMurpel, TheMcD, ThatBasqueGuy, AJ_Impy, Lord Cyrahzax, Sleep of Bronze, Muskatnuss, Lynneth, Serpentis, Camoes, Blackunknown, Random_Username, QuoProQuid, The Sandman, Rodyle, Flesnolk, sureaboutthatthing (18)
D: tallboartLittlehand, sheep-dodger, Vander, Eumenides, Munin (5)
E: Goatlord (1)

And Rincewind's proposal wins! We are liberate the Arawak, grant Jin Shan the territories they had managed to capture in the war, extend the borders of Neubauten to Vinland and pillage the coffers of the Aztecs for as much gold as we can afford to.

That said, I am presently suffering from over-extension myself, so I am putting the thread on hiatus for this month. Gold Rules The World will be back on June 6th.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

ZearothK posted:

That said, I am presently suffering from over-extension myself, so I am putting the thread on hiatus for this month. Gold Rules The World will be back on June 6th.

Where can I get more admin points?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Where can I get more admin points?

PM Ozma.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I want to be immortal.

Not the immortality of someone who has a long lasting and influential legacy.

And absolutely not the immortality of an enduring family.

I hate family. It is no wonder I killed all of mine before moving to Lübeck and inventing a new name.

What are children even good for, except to steal what you had worked so hard for?

Or to cause trouble and then cry out their eyeballs because they are way over their head.

And of course, they expect you, demand you, to come and solve their problems, as if the aid of their parents was some sort of birthright. God, they should be glad I haven’t forgotten them in a ditch.

But no, can’t do that anymore. I need to play republican politics instead, and they were scandalized enough the first time.

It is like they are blind to how ungrateful these hosed up brats are.

Just once, just once, I’d like to see one of the young Viks have to eat the bag of horseshit they have earned for themselves.

I mean, they are adults now. They are supposed to care of themselves. But no, family this, family that.

It just isn’t fair.

What is the worst that could happen? The survivors should be happy for not sharing their inheritance. It is like everyone is crazy in Europe. I came to the wrong continent.

Sometimes I wish I could just sail away and start it all over again, maybe in Ixachitlan… And maybe, maybe I will.

How can I be immortal? I don’t believe in the eternal kingdom of heaven promised by Christ. It is the immortality of the dead. All that is good in life comes from our flesh, that the Godbotherers chastise us for enjoying. No, maybe another faith has the answer, maybe I should really set sail.

No price would be too high, even eternity away from Berchte. Certainly someone has discovered the secret of eternal life? An alchemist, a witch or a priest of some eldritch deity?

Immortality in history simply would not suffice, it is not what I came here for. I don’t want to be another Alexander, Genghis Khan, Napoleon or Johnny Gat.

I have no equal. I don’t want to be remembered as a feature of the past, an exemplar and hero to some lost culture.

I want to exist in the present and extend through forever.

I must be known as superior to all.

Like the unconquerable sun I must rise.

And I want them to know that the rules do not apply to me.

Rules, disgusting things. There is only one rule that society should have.

Might makes right.

Oh, dinner is ready! Potatoes, my favourites!

Maybe I’ll make an exception for them. How about this for a rule?

Potatoes are the best.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Representatives of the Hansetag, good evening. You will find copies of our yearly records on your tables, please settle down and review the information before we begin the session.

As you can see, we can finally state without doubt that we are the richest and most prosperous nation in the world. We have entered a golden age that may last for a thousand years or more.

The Baltic remains under control of the League. It is here that the wealth of five continents comes to make Lübeck the jewel of Europa. Our alliance with China and the development of our colonial navies has allowed the bulk of the Hanseatic War Fleet to remain in Danzig to deter any would-be corsairs.

Scandinavia is the stagnant pit of Europe, as their insistence upon an economic embargo on the League has driven them to economic and cultural isolation. It is only their military alliance with Poland that grants them relevance. It is troubling, however, that the Altaic Confederation is gaining ground in northern Europe, as in the last decade the king of Finland has requested membership in their league.

The Holy Roman Empire is at its lowest point, though its cities remain productive partners in our golden age. The decade under the Catholic League has invited many invaders, and the Empire has suffered greatly. A direct intervention might be necessary.

The Viennese Palaiologos are calling for unity in the face of the Empire’s collapse, but despite this edict their future remains uncertain. Poland has ascended to take their place as the dominant power of central Europe, presenting a threat to our land trade routes. More worrisomely, they are actively persecuting Low German speakers in their territories.

The Kingdom of Ukraine and Perm remains our stalwart partner to the east, with many thanks to our jews, who have maintained the Jewish Ukrainishe Freundschaft for many decades.. Further to the east there are the Altaics. They have modernized at a great pace and are a fascinating mix of Central Asian and Slavic cultures. They might possibly have the world’s most popular government, as their reforms have brought great prosperity to most strata of society and they have had numerous military victories against Ukraine and the Latin and Karnata Empires. It is a shame that the future promises conflict between us.

To our west lies the ruin of von Goon Scotland. Left to their own devices they have been regularly invaded by Asians and Ixachitlaners alike, losing many of their gains. This would be amusing, were it not for Aztlaner presence in Cornwall and the possibility of Aztec control of the channel. Their continued advance into France and the Alps is another cause for concern. With the collapse of the main Aztec Empire it seems that Lispoa has become the center of the Nahuatl civilization and it would take an act from God to slow their advance into Europe.

We remain stalwart allies to the French Republic and have also forged a military alliance with Italy in order to contain this threat, and others. It is our hope that the backing of the League should suffice to prevent further bloodshed in those borders.

Recent times have been kind to us in Ixachitlan. Our colonies have grown greatly, with a rich export market. Neubauten can now compare itself favourably to most states in our own continent. The sun of the Aztecs falls on the horizon and they are no longer counted amongst the great powers of our era. Here lies opportunity.

On the other hand, the Incas are more powerful than ever and their careful use of the vast gold and silver reserves in the Andes and New Canaan provides them considerable leverage on the world stage, not to mention their inclination to scientific exploration. With the decadence of the Aztecs, their only rival is Qart Hadasht, who would gladly accept the backing of the League if we decide to tackle the southern half of Ixachitlan.

The Mali Empire holds hegemony over west Africa and it is only their lack of naval tradition that keeps them from becoming a world power. They, like most Muslims, are inclined to trade with other people of the book and so we have maintained neutral relations with them.

Our outposts in Africa remain a profitable venture, as they have given us our own gold mines and have allowed us to supply our own slaves in Ixachitlan. The situation is stable and favourable here for the time being.

Arabia is dominated by the Atefid Empire, who, along with Ethiopia and Mali, continue to defend the Mohammedan territories from Nahuatl and Indian aggression. Their coffee is a valuable commodity and they are important trade partners for us.

The Karnata Empire, faced with an actual threat from the Altaics, has warmed up to the League and even came to accept our presence in their subcontinent. They have opened their ports for us, and so our bilateral relationship has allowed both of us to prosper.

The East Indies are the greatest battleground of our time, as Malaya and Oste Wasi continue to joust for hegemony of the islands, with Scotland, Angkor, Mahuatiquez, China and the Ixachitlani Empires running interference in their great game. Our own colonial possessions have remained untouched in these great battles, and it appears that all parties have accepted our presence here.

China has had a great upset in their politics, as the house of Yuan has expired and was peacefully succeeded by the Shun. Raised from mere peasants just a few generations ago, the Shun are a young dynasty who have allowed the millenar institutions of China to manage the state. They have maintained our old alliances as well, though they have also extended friendship to Malaya. I certainly do not need to remind the Hansetag of the importance of the Chinese market and their military support for our Asian enterprises.

And Qart Hadasht is invading Manchuria, there is that, I suppose.

Selatan remains inscrutable, deadly, but profitable. Relatively few artefacts from there have reached Europe, however, as the Oste Wasi have eagerly bought almost everything we have found for their own market, making them the prime trader in Selatan despite not owning a single port in the region. Their silver is good, and so we have not asked questions about their obsession for these curious objects.

Anyways, read up, the session will begin shortly.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

New Aztlan has sure made a comeback.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Oh no, Scotland... :scotland:

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
All of this, and we're not even in the 1700s yet... there's so much time to go left, and we don't have any real ventures to go to, what with most places colonized already.

Nonetheless, here's to hoping this world's Napoleon will be Scandinavian! They sure seem to be in the right narrative position for it, what with being socially, culturally and economically isolated and all.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Luhood posted:

All of this, and we're not even in the 1700s yet... there's so much time to go left, and we don't have any real ventures to go to, what with most places colonized already.

Nonetheless, here's to hoping this world's Napoleon will be Scandinavian! They sure seem to be in the right narrative position for it, what with being socially, culturally and economically isolated and all.

France wasn't especially isolated. Its competitive dynamic with England defined it throughout the Middle Ages and even throughout most of its revolutionary troubles. A better candidate to go through that kind of revolution might be Scotland, or hell, maybe China.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Luhood posted:

I gotta say, a Levee en Masse in a country with maybe 5 million people would be interesting.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gotta love that random Apache enclave.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Beamed posted:

I gotta say, a Levee en Masse in a country with maybe 5 million people would be interesting.

And they border the Altaics to the east and the Hansa to the south. I think Napoleon would need machineguns to compete with either of those with little more than Norway-Sweden.

I must say I've given the big late-game wars some thought and... I don't know if this scenario actually has the environment for a revolution to spiral into a continent-wide war. Europe is mostly monarchies, yes, but France, Italy and the Hansa are all major powers and established republics (though one through a Burgher-Noble partnership, the other two under mercantile oligarchies), so kings getting murdered is not as much of a polarizing issue, and then there is the Aztec Threat, which is a whole other thing. I suppose Asia could be the grounds for major world-shaping conflict, given it is the area with the greatest presence of outside interests as the present wars show, but there is still roughly a century to go, so I guess we'll see how things shape up by then.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

We have two great matters to discuss, one of internal focus and management and another concerning our foreign policy.

a) Golden Shadows:
Fellow representatives, it is a matter of fact that our merchants are welcome almost everywhere in the world. It is time that we extend our trade networks for another use entirely: Espionage. There is no nation in a better position to manipulate international politics than our fair republic and the leverage we may gain from the services of a formal secret service will benefit us in a myriad of ways, from war to commerce to diplomacy and, of course, to faith.
Erick von Eisen, Mayor of Hamburg

Do note that Espionage remains an Admin Idea Group, as we are not using 1.6

b) Old Gold and the Sea:
I see in these reports something that brings us boundless shame. Our navy is not the greatest in the world and it is spread through every sea known to man, even worse, our Asian and Selataner possessions are safeguarded by the will of a Chinese monarch. We must correct this by focusing on Naval matters, expanding our shipyards from Ixachitlan to the eastern Baltic and training a new generation of fleet officers.
Niels Juel, Admiral of the Baltic Fleet

c) Gold and Victory:
It is not only the navy that requires attention, but every single branch of the military. The services required by us involve every environment and foe possible and so we must strive to be the best in all things. I speak of the Quality that is inherent in our republic and that must be driven into every single serviceman in our branches. Give me the means to make it so, and I assure you that we shall have the finest military known to the world.
Friedrich Kindt, Marshall of the Hansa

-----------------------------------------------------------------

As usual, we shall choose a primary focus for our external policies and a secondary one to be pursued on the side, with a third option to be… Neglected.

A) The Sick Man of Ixachitlan:
The Aztec Empire has suffered a humbling blow, but it is not yet vanquished and as long as they remain able to fight our colonists shall never be safe. We must finish what we have started and force Tenochtitlan to abandon its dreams of empire, and then, once that is over, we shall see to it that the Incas will not come to threaten us in turn. Ixachitlan fuels the heart of the Hansa and is there that we shall write our thousand years of glory.
Thomas Warendorp, Ambassador from Neubauten

B) Europa Universalis:
Are we truly to focus overseas when fellow Germans suffer but a few miles beyond our borders? No, I say. Europe is our home and it is under siege from enemies within and without. A New Polish Order falls on central Europe and we are the only ones with the power to challenge it, so let us seize the leadership of Germany from the decrepit Holy Roman Empire. And then there is New Aztlan, extending its domain in every direction. Are we to disappoint our fellow Christians? No, I say, we must be prepared for the coming clash of civilizations!
Christian Lüneburg, Minister of Finances

C) East, Always to the East:
Our base of power elsewhere is well established, but our presence in Asia has been anemic and there are so many other markets to explore in those islands and in… Selatan. The Malayan-Chinese alliance is a challenge that we must overcome or break, though we may also find friendship from the Karnata if there is an unfortunate Sino-Hanseatic split. Not to mention softer targets… Such as Scotland, Mahuatiquez and the Oste Wasi. Let us seek opportunities to expand our far-east trading companies and feast on the wealth of Asia.
Ernest von Bardewick, Ambassador from the Ceylon Kontore

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

bA

Colonization domination station, here we come!

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
bC

Obviously we need to focus on the cursed continent.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

cA

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
cB: Gold rules the world, but an unfavorable balance of power in Europe could very quickly leave us bereft of it-- all our colonies and global trade networks amount to nothing if the homeland is not secure. Chaos in Germany is bad for business.

EDIT: I meant B, of course, since that's the one about Europe.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 5, 2014

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

cB Because seriously, there can be only one ridiculously powerful polity in Europe, and that's us.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
cA

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
cB, we must take the example of our Venetian allies to heart, and unify our people behind our flag to truly prosper in this coming age.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
aA. Espionage will allow us to destabilize and sow the seeds of chaos in the Aztecs, opening them up for the coming strike.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

bC

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

cB The rest of the world has mostly pretty borders, but Europe does not. This needs to be fixed.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
aC because I've never seen anyone take espionage ideas and also we need to see more of the horrors of Seletan.

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN
cB, because it is past due that we take back what is ours!

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

bB but I think we should save France from New Aztlan rather than save Germany (although that's ok too, I guess).

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

aB What better way to ensure that Europe becomes a continent that suits our interests than through subterfuge.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Patter Song posted:

aA. Espionage will allow us to destabilize and sow the seeds of chaos in the Aztecs, opening them up for the coming strike.

Seconding this.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
cB

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
cB

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
bB

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

cB

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
cB Is there a better casus belli.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
bC. Niels Juel? How period-appropriate.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

cB. As our foreign colonies grow strong, it is time we set our native house in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
cB, we need to keep our capital secure.

• Locked thread