Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

hoobajoo posted:

So you haven't read part 5 then? Just, like, in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Beef Waifu posted:

I forgot how awful those scans were, holy poo poo.
Beats reading an inaccurate text-only translation with a copy of the manga in hand like how I did it back in the day.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Butt Ghost posted:

Nah, I'm going in order. I've only read through one and two so far.

Good, that's the way to do it. But man, fabulousness escalates to all-time highs when JoJo goes to Italy.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Kakyoin is now playing video games for the sake of everyone's souls. It's kind of jarring, but also the best.

edit:

Holy poo poo, it feels like I'm on /v/

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 5, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Broseph Brostar posted:

That fight is gonna great animated. It's too bad that when he gets his head crushed it's gonna look like this.

I'm not so sure about this, generally they censor blood and gore, I don't know if a cracked skull falls under that umbrella.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I've been re-reading part 4 and realized fatty dies pretty quickly after being introduced. I wonder what the thought process behind that was.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

DIO can stop time even with a crushed skull. Like, I'm pretty sure that happened during his fight with Jotaro, his brain was all hosed so he couldn't even stand, so he just stopped time with a car passing by to grab onto and flee.

fake-edit:

The heart is on his skull :allears:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

I've been re-reading part 4 and realized fatty dies pretty quickly after being introduced. I wonder what the thought process behind that was.

His death was one of the most shocking things in the series when I was first reading through it. I didn't even like him that much, it was just handled really well.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

His death was one of the most shocking things in the series when I was first reading through it. I didn't even like him that much, it was just handled really well.

I dunno, someone dying halfway-ish through a part is kinda part and parcel of JoJo. The thing that bothered me with part 4 is that Araki killed someone off he only just introduced rather than just about any other Morioh citizen, so Fatty's death fell kinda flat for me.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Broseph Brostar posted:

That fight is gonna great animated. It's too bad that when he gets his head crushed it's gonna look like this.

Would they really need to censor that, though? Showing bone breaking doesn't seem like something that requires a lot of censoring.

Butt Ghost posted:

Holy poo poo, it feels like I'm on /v/

This is unironically my favorite Joseph moment from Part III.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I was more surprised by his killer, who I thought was just a goofy minor character up until that point.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 5, 2014

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I was more surprised by his killer, who I thought was just a goofy minor character up until that point.

Isn't the first introduction to him immediately after Reimi or whatever her name was explains that she was murdered and then when we see him he's holding a severed hand like it's his girlfriend?

It's kind of a stretch to see that stuff and think he's just "goofy" :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, perhaps goofy was a poor choice of words.

But the segment prior to him killing Shigechi didn't seem like it was going to shift into sudden and explosive murder.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But the segment prior to him killing Shigechi didn't seem like it was going to shift into sudden and explosive murder.

Probably my favourite part of Diamond.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I had to reread Kira's introduction and the buildup is really great. We don't even learn he has a Stand until he has no choice but to use it, which really fits his personality of keeping his appearance as average as possible.

Also, this spread

made me realize just how much wasted potential Diamond had. I had completely forgotten about Okuyasu's weirdo dad, for example. Hopefully David will continue to add their little filler scenes, I could easily watch 50-60 episodes of Diamond.

Also it's funny to read these chapters with hindsight bias. Hey, why didn't Josuke have Crazy D punch Kira's button so they could trace his jacket immediately? Why didn't Jotaro stop time in the store so he could read the name tag? Araki! :arghfist::iamafag:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Be glad Hazamada was made as few appearances as he did. It's flat out stated he wants to rape a classmate and hurts animals but everyone is just totally fine with him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Star Platinum posted:

Also it's funny to read these chapters with hindsight bias. Hey, why didn't Josuke have Crazy D punch Kira's button so they could trace his jacket immediately? Why didn't Jotaro stop time in the store so he could read the name tag? Araki! :arghfist::iamafag:

Why didn't Joseph use Hermit Purple to find Kira, especially considering that he came to Morioh for the purpose of finding Otoishi with Hermit Purple?

Also

I think this may be the single most homoerotic JJBA image I have ever seen.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well after he got beat up the dude was sort of just a non-threatening creep. I'm disappointed Yuuya only got the one fight and then later someone like Yukako got an entire mini arc where it felt like they were really laying her romance with Koichi on thick, which was loving boring.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I liked Yukako more when she was batshit insane.

I mean, she probably still is, but it got toned down a lot less after the Cinderella arc.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Why didn't Joseph use Hermit Purple to find Kira, especially considering that he came to Morioh for the purpose of finding Otoishi with Hermit Purple?

Also

That hand quote...

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

That hand quote...

Araki just wants to life a normal, peaceful life. :ohdear:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Araki does seem to like Part IV and Kira a lot, too. :stare:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Who doesn't, though?

I had to read the Sheer Heart Attack fight in its entirety again. Jotaro owns, Koichi owns, Kira owns. :allears:

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Isn't it all but confirmed that Rohan was Araki's self insert as well? I could have sworn I remembered reading that at some point and I can't really take anything for granted in JoJo's really.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Robviously posted:

Isn't it all but confirmed that Rohan was Araki's self insert as well? I could have sworn I remembered reading that at some point and I can't really take anything for granted in JoJo's really.

Rohan is an arrogant, hand stabbing jerk. Araki seems quite kind, on the other hand.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Robviously posted:

I think Araki has written on his little cover jacket blurbs that people always assume Rohan is his self insert so they get a little nervous around Araki, when he just wants to be friendly!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
He's not a direct insert, but there are some qualities that are obviously from Araki, such as his resemblance with Mona Lisa.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Robviously posted:

Araki has actually said the opposite from what I've heard - that a lot of times people assume he's as cold and distant and secluded as Rohan and he really isn't, and hates that impression.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

CodfishCartographer posted:

Araki has actually said the opposite from what I've heard - that a lot of times people assume he's as cold and distant and secluded as Rohan and he really isn't, and hates that impression.

Most important distinction is that Araki LOVES Josuke. Seriously, it's his favorite Jojo.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Not even his favorite JoJo, just straight up his favorite character, Araki loves Part 4 and a lot of the characters he made for it.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Ah, I felt like I had it slightly mixed up. Seeing Rohan later in the series, and in the spinoffs, made me think that it would have been a good self insert. It even feels like a stand that Araki would love to have.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

a cartoon duck posted:

I dunno, someone dying halfway-ish through a part is kinda part and parcel of JoJo. The thing that bothered me with part 4 is that Araki killed someone off he only just introduced rather than just about any other Morioh citizen, so Fatty's death fell kinda flat for me.

His obsession with preventing Kira from hurting people like his parents really struck a chord with me.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Killing of Harvest serves the plot in a similar way to having Purple Haze leave the party. If Harvest is alive, there's not a coherent reason for them to not just send Harvest out to hunt down all the villains and find them in one day.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Beef Waifu posted:

Not even his favorite JoJo, just straight up his favorite character, Araki loves Part 4 and a lot of the characters he made for it.

I'm pretty sure the reason why Jojolion is an alternate universe Diamond is Unbreakable is just because it's his favorite part.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also

Blame Versace

Gucci, on the other hand, knows what's up.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I always liked to think that Gyro was just trying to help Johnny get up and then he slipped and then things kind of got out of control.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Kabanaw posted:

I always liked to think that Gyro was just trying to help Johnny get up and then he slipped and then things kind of got out of control.

Still doesn't explain the giant steel ball that Johnny is holding.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'm sure everyone has made this joke, but I mean, Steel Ball Run is about one guy who touches another guy's steel balls, and then spends a long-rear end time alone with him on horseback.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

pillar_men_ass_closeup.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Sorta related

http://otakugamerpopo.tumblr.com/post/87703241809/anyone-who-dosent-watch-or-read-jojo-wanna-try-to

• Locked thread