Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Boner Wad posted:

Is the error saying the script can't run? Is it running against a partition that is mounted ro? Check to see if the partition that the script is located might be mounted with noexec.

The script is residing on the sdcard which, as far as I know is exec? I'll check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just grab the factory image, fastboot flash the recovery, and then fastboot update the main zip. One stock N5, data intact.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

the kawaiiest posted:

New Xposed module puts GEL's always listening "OK Google" in any launcher: http://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/modules/mod-ok-google-3rd-party-launchers-t2765635

Tested on my Note 3 with Nova Prime. Works great.

e: just to clarify, this is "OK Google" from the home screen, not from the lock screen or with the phone on standby.

This works great on my Note 2. I was hoping this would happen.

The title of this thread is really incorrect, despite what some people say here rooting can be very useful. I know the standard response is "get a good phone!" but you know what? This is a great phone, and rooting makes it my perfect phone. I can't get these features anywhere else, not even on everyone's beloved N5.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

This works great on my Note 2. I was hoping this would happen.

The title of this thread is really incorrect, despite what some people say here rooting can be very useful. I know the standard response is "get a good phone!" but you know what? This is a great phone, and rooting makes it my perfect phone. I can't get these features anywhere else, not even on everyone's beloved N5.
Moving forward you'll almost certainly not have the option outside of a device with an unlocked bootloader so enjoy it while it lasts.

After that happens I hope we can rename the thread "Rooted Android - Suck a dick, Samsunghavers"

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Why? That's really mean. What have we done to you?

That article makes it seem that root will still be possible and things will still work for the most part anyway, so I'm not worried.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

Why? That's really mean. What have we done to you?

That article makes it seem that root will still be possible and things will still work for the most part anyway, so I'm not worried.
The problem is that it's a circular issue. Buying broken devices and fixing them after the fact means that it's okay for OEMs to make broken devices which require fixing after the fact. The solution is obviously not to buy broken devices in the first place.

I'll admit to not keeping up too closely but I believe Samsung locks their bootloaders at the request of some carriers and then uses a(n easily reset) counter to determine whether the others have flashed unsigned code. This change would certainly prevent anyone in the former camp from rooting their devices. I hope you like Verizon and AT&T bloatware.

I doubt it will be much of a problem either though because by the time this version of Android hits non-developer devices Samsung will probably have abandoned Android for Tizen.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Broken? I'd hardly call Touchwiz broken. Sure I prefer stock, but I also prefer SD cards and removable batteries and a fantastic camera and display. I could call a Nexus 5 broken because it doesn't offer what I want, but that would be silly.

Yeah Samsung uses a knox counter, which you can trip by flashing a new bootloader which will invalidate your warranty. That doesn't affect me.

I live in the UK. We don't have your broken mobile phone system.

I don't know if Samsung will go full hog with Tizen, that would be one hell of a gamble. I'd definitely jump ship then.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

I live in the UK. We don't have your broken mobile phone system.

I don't know if Samsung will go full hog with Tizen, that would be one hell of a gamble. I'd definitely jump ship then.
Ah, in the UK you're right, this probably won't have any impact on you at all. I'm mostly referring to VZW/ATT customers here in the US where subsidies and salesmen keep Samsung first and Samsung and the carriers compete to see who can make the customers' handsets the least usable. They're the ones with the most need and least opportunity to root and the ones this will impact the most.

I imagine most unlocked handsets in Europe will remain bootloader unlocked.

As for the move to Tizen, it wouldn't surprise me to see it happen in the next two years. We haven't seen the consequences of the Samsung/Google "truce" with the exception of the sale of Motorola (something that may have happened regardless) but no matter what I think the writing's on the wall that Samsung will jump, it's just a matter of when. Given the money and stature they get from their smartphone sales it's simply untenable for them to not have control of their own platform. The only thing keeping Samsung in Android is the ability to throw their weight around enough to harm their competitors by exacting concessions from Google to favor them. Once that's run its course Samsung will leave as they'd be fools not to.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

As for the move to Tizen, it wouldn't surprise me to see it happen in the next two years. We haven't seen the consequences of the Samsung/Google "truce" with the exception of the sale of Motorola (something that may have happened regardless) but no matter what I think the writing's on the wall that Samsung will jump, it's just a matter of when. Given the money and stature they get from their smartphone sales it's simply untenable for them to not have control of their own platform. The only thing keeping Samsung in Android is the ability to throw their weight around enough to harm their competitors by exacting concessions from Google to favor them. Once that's run its course Samsung will leave as they'd be fools not to.

Without Android and Google behind them, wouldn't it be possible for Apple to just crush them (well, even more so) in the court than they are now?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Without Android and Google behind them, wouldn't it be possible for Apple to just crush them (well, even more so) in the court than they are now?
Seems to me it would help them as the patents they continually lose on are tied to Android, not Samsung. In any case each time through the damages are less, and even if they weren't moving on from Android just bolsters their case that they're not infringing now.

There are a lot of factors at play but no matter how things play out in the short run the fact remains that Samsung's cash cow is owned by Google. As they say in real life, it's never the perfect time for a breakup but that's not a reason to stay together. Samsung has more brand identity, more money to spend, and despite the patent wars less hostility from other US computing firms than Google. Samsung has less to lose from a breakup than Google and it's been that way for a while, meanwhile I can't really see what Samsung stands to gain from toeing the line in perpetuity. OEMs have seen how that can work against them with Microsoft, they aren't eager to go through it again in mobile though only Samsung has the ability to go it alone. They can certainly see it and eventually they'll collect their winnings and leave the table.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Seems to me it would help them as the patents they continually lose on are tied to Android, not Samsung. In any case each time through the damages are less, and even if they weren't moving on from Android just bolsters their case that they're not infringing now.

There are a lot of factors at play but no matter how things play out in the short run the fact remains that Samsung's cash cow is owned by Google. As they say in real life, it's never the perfect time for a breakup but that's not a reason to stay together. Samsung has more brand identity, more money to spend, and despite the patent wars less hostility from other US computing firms than Google. Samsung has less to lose from a breakup than Google and it's been that way for a while, meanwhile I can't really see what Samsung stands to gain from toeing the line in perpetuity. OEMs have seen how that can work against them with Microsoft, they aren't eager to go through it again in mobile though only Samsung has the ability to go it alone. They can certainly see it and eventually they'll collect their winnings and leave the table.

I do see good things for Android if Samsung drops. The Moto X sold so badly, Motorola closed the Texas plant as it wasn't really worth keeping it open to sell phones to a country who loves Samsung way too much. At least when Samsung leaves, it'll give other OEMs time to do something. At this point, Samsung is hurting OEMs and I'm surprised they're still sticking around.

However, Samsung and Google have a deal for 10 years and it's been confirmed already by Sundar Pichai that at least the Galaxy S 6 will still run Android (even if their watches don't now). But really, the watch thing doesn't really matter as everyone who bought one pretty much returned it immediately when they realized their Android phone wouldn't work with Samsung's proprietary watch.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Why do you guys take this all so seriously? I've seen people go into fits of rage over Samsung or Apple or rooting/not rooting and I just don't get it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Alan_Shore posted:

but I also prefer SD cards and removable batteries and a fantastic camera and display.

Well, you're wrong.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I disagree

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
While rooting may be for the mentally ill and sexually deviant only, I can report that 4.4.3 doesn't break root, Xposed or GravityBox. XDA suggests that custom kernels work too, if you're into that sort of thing.

Rooted by extracting the factory image and fastboot flashing the new bootloader, radio, boot and system images followed by CF auto-root. Re-enabled Xposed and everything seems a-OK.

EDIT: This being the Nexus 5. Lol if you own a crapsung :smuggo:

DashingGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 3, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, I dug up an ancient SGS2 T-989 of mine and went to flash KK on it. The update zip needed a newer version of TWRP, so I installed TWRP from the Play Store app. I made absolutely sure that I picked the right model, and it asked me if I wanted to flash to some particular MMC block. When I said yes, the phone became bootlocked at the SAMSUNG logo.

No problem, I'll just flash TWRP via ODIN. In a fit of idiocy, I accidentally flashed to BOOTLOADER partition in ODIN instead of PDA. I figured that was a huge fuckup, but it magically made the phone boot normally, and I was able to boot into recovery with the newer TWRP version showing. Everything on the phone seems perfectly fine.

Why is it that flashing the "proper" way with the app softbricked my phone but doing the way wrong thing worked fine?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

DashingGentleman posted:

While rooting may be for the mentally ill and sexually deviant only, I can report that 4.4.3 doesn't break root, Xposed or GravityBox. XDA suggests that custom kernels work too, if you're into that sort of thing.

Rooted by extracting the factory image and fastboot flashing the new bootloader, radio, boot and system images followed by CF auto-root. Re-enabled Xposed and everything seems a-OK.

EDIT: This being the Nexus 5. Lol if you own a crapsung :smuggo:

I came here to ask this exact thing, but for a Nexus 4. I assume that if I find the correct factory image that the process is virtually the same?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ScarletBrother posted:

I came here to ask this exact thing, but for a Nexus 4. I assume that if I find the correct factory image that the process is virtually the same?
Yes, exactly the same. Be aware that the N4 ties the bootloader and radio to the firmware, so I'd flash bootloader, then restart the bootloader, then the radio, then restart the bootloader, then the boot and system images. I've had N4's fail to boot when not going in order. For what it's worth, the N5 has the same bootloader but a new radio. If your bootloader version matches the one in the download, no reason to reflash it, just make sure to do the radio prior the boot/system images.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LastInLine posted:

Yes, exactly the same. Be aware that the N4 ties the bootloader and radio to the firmware, so I'd flash bootloader, then restart the bootloader, then the radio, then restart the bootloader, then the boot and system images. I've had N4's fail to boot when not going in order. For what it's worth, the N5 has the same bootloader but a new radio. If your bootloader version matches the one in the download, no reason to reflash it, just make sure to do the radio prior the boot/system images.

In the image tar they give you, there's a script called "flash-all.sh" or "flash-all.bat". Take a look inside it, and it gives you all the adb commands in the proper order. The last line has -w in it. The -w will wipe all your personal data. If you run that command with out the -w it'll update and not wipe.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

The N4 has a new radio as well, it has faster wifi connections and also connects to mobile data faster once you turn wifi off.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you have the wrong bootloader/radio the system image will refuse to flash anyway. Good habit is to just apply all three and always reboot the bootloader after each one.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Tunga posted:

If you have the wrong bootloader/radio the system image will refuse to flash anyway. Good habit is to just apply all three and always reboot the bootloader after each one.

This is also a good advice for Samsung phones and Asus tablets (non nexus). After a custom OS, bootloader or anything, return to the bootloader. It works a charm when updating the radio on my Galaxy S4 for example.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Ok so my friend managed to pretty much semi brick his note ii by trying to put a custom rom on it. Also apparently when he did have a custom rom he flashed one for the 3g note and not the 4g version and now doesnt have any signal. :ughh:

From there he managed to semi brick it, it does still go into download mode and I can see it in odin. Main question is there anywhere apart from here that has the factory image. Currently i'm downloading the 4.3 one and its taking about 7 hours of some lovely file hosting website.

Also will flashing the factory image in odin also include the radio? I dont know much about samsungs because i'm only used to nexuses simple process of doing things. Phone is an N7105

Also this is why when people ask me what phone they should get I instantly say get an iphone.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

smelly cabin filter posted:

Ok so my friend managed to pretty much semi brick his note ii by trying to put a custom rom on it. Also apparently when he did have a custom rom he flashed one for the 3g note and not the 4g version and now doesnt have any signal. :ughh:

From there he managed to semi brick it, it does still go into download mode and I can see it in odin. Main question is there anywhere apart from here that has the factory image. Currently i'm downloading the 4.3 one and its taking about 7 hours of some lovely file hosting website.

Also will flashing the factory image in odin also include the radio? I dont know much about samsungs because i'm only used to nexuses simple process of doing things. Phone is an N7105

Also this is why when people ask me what phone they should get I instantly say get an iphone.
You can try SamMobile instead or maybe XDA to see if there's a better site to get it from. Flashing the factory image will include the radio. With Samsung phones, if you can get into download mode, you should be fine, just flash the stock image in ODIN.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

smelly cabin filter posted:

There are plenty of reasons to recommend an iphone but this is not one of those reasons.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Yeah, it's not like no one has hosed up an iPhone jailbreaking it for the Nth time.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Are there any general problems with CM11 on a T-Mobile LG G2? I got it installed and it seems to be fine, but I was curious what kind of issues I'll possibly run into.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RVProfootballer posted:

Are there any general problems with CM11 on a T-Mobile LG G2? I got it installed and it seems to be fine, but I was curious what kind of issues I'll possibly run into.

It's probably fine but you might want to keep an eye on your testosterone levels and sperm count for the next few weeks. I've heard that the RF pattern generated by the phone can be altered by CM11.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Is this the joke? Looks like it'll slightly decrease the pocketability of it, too.

E: I should add, it's actually encouraging to see how much better LG's stock software was on 4.4.2 compared to 4.2.2 that it shipped with (I had to downgrade to install CM). Gives me hope that if the G3's UI/stuff gets ported back to the G2, I can put it back to stock and go back to not messing with rooting/ROMs. 4.4.2 the only really annoying things were the menu navigation button and some uninstallable poo poo apps that had persistent notifications, not sure if the latter is better on the G3 or not.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 5, 2014

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Is there a reason a backup in cwm recovery takes a loving hour and a half on my Nexus 7 2013? I've only ever done 2-3 on it total, but I'm running one now before updating to 4.4.3 and the data backup has been running for at least an hour alone. It's doing stuff, there are seemingly hundreds of things being backed up that are just a string that looks like a hex value with a _1 or _2 at the end. No other device I've owned has taken more than 10-15 minutes.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

Is there a reason a backup in cwm recovery takes a loving hour and a half on my Nexus 7 2013? I've only ever done 2-3 on it total, but I'm running one now before updating to 4.4.3 and the data backup has been running for at least an hour alone. It's doing stuff, there are seemingly hundreds of things being backed up that are just a string that looks like a hex value with a _1 or _2 at the end. No other device I've owned has taken more than 10-15 minutes.
What version of CWMR are you on? One of them had a lot of trouble with KitKat but it's since been resolved. You should be on 6.0.4.5/6 or thereabouts.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I've found that TWRP is also a much better recovery than CWR.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BoyBlunder posted:

I've found that TWRP is also a much better recovery than CWR.
I've found exactly the opposite. I've seen many people have useless devices due to TWRP erasing the device's IMEI.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LastInLine posted:

I've found exactly the opposite. I've seen many people have useless devices due to TWRP erasing the device's IMEI.

I've had my IMEI erased on CWR so LOL WTF?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nimper posted:

I've had my IMEI erased on CWR so LOL WTF?
How? The only people dumb enough to gently caress with where the IMEI lives are the TWRP people and that's because their first recovery release bricked every Galaxy S it was installed on.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LastInLine posted:

How? The only people dumb enough to gently caress with where the IMEI lives are the TWRP people and that's because their first recovery release bricked every Galaxy S it was installed on.

Interestingly enough it was on a Galaxy S. I flashed a CM update and the IMEI was corrupted afterward. Odin to stock fixed it, somehow.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nimper posted:

Interestingly enough it was on a Galaxy S. I flashed a CM update and the IMEI was corrupted afterward. Odin to stock fixed it, somehow.
Then that wasn't a recovery problem. The problem was (as usual) with Samsung who made the folder where the IMEI was stored available to be overwritten meaning it was possible for the user to erase the folder by flashing a ROM that overwrote the folder. The only reason it wasn't noticed was because CWM never bothered to touch it but TWRP did and subsequently destroyed the devices simply in the process of wiping the device, no idiot ROM developer necessary.

But the SGS/NS was an issue of Samsung being exceptionally stupid. I've helped a goon from this thread who had it happen on a Nexus 4. Maybe they should just leave the efs folder alone?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LastInLine posted:

Then that wasn't a recovery problem. The problem was (as usual) with Samsung who made the folder where the IMEI was stored available to be overwritten meaning it was possible for the user to erase the folder by flashing a ROM that overwrote the folder. The only reason it wasn't noticed was because CWM never bothered to touch it but TWRP did and subsequently destroyed the devices simply in the process of wiping the device, no idiot ROM developer necessary.

Except I didn't put TWRP on that phone. How else would the update get flashed? With CWM, that's how.

Anyway the firmware I use (Omnirom) on my SGSII uses TWRP and I haven't had any issues. If I have to poke around in recovery for some reason it's much more convenient to tap the screen and get what I want instead of futzing with the volume buttons. Although nowadays the only reason I'm in recovery is if I tell the delta updater to install an update so it's all automatic anyway.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nimper posted:

Except I didn't put TWRP on that phone. How else would the update get flashed? With CWM, that's how.
It was because Samsung made that folder writable, any recovery would've done that on a ROM that didn't make sure to back up the efs folder and restore it.

nimper posted:

Anyway the firmware I use (Omnirom) on my SGSII uses TWRP and I haven't had any issues. If I have to poke around in recovery for some reason it's much more convenient to tap the screen and get what I want instead of futzing with the volume buttons. Although nowadays the only reason I'm in recovery is if I tell the delta updater to install an update so it's all automatic anyway.
There are touch and swipe versions of CWM but as you rightly mention the user shouldn't see it enough to care how nice it looks or works and it's mostly automated anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LastInLine posted:

It was because Samsung made that folder writable, any recovery would've done that on a ROM that didn't make sure to back up the efs folder and restore it.

So you're saying that it's the install script's fault, not the recovery's fault? That sounds about right to me. Maybe a good recovery would have caught the error in the install script but back then neither TWRP or CWM recovery was able to do that apparently.