Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Will a drive through car wash strip all the wax off of my car?

No, and it will scratch your paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

Will a drive through car wash strip all the wax off of my car?

Unless its a "touchless" one that only sprays jets of water/soap, as said above, stay far far away.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Never knew touchless washes were hard to find, they far outnumber the ones that touch your car around here. You can trip over a touchless wash every 2-3 miles. They are easier to maintain as a turnkey business since there are fewer moving parts so I would think they would be far more common than any other type.

The only potential danger with the touchless is if their chemical mix is out of whack. It obviously won't do as nice as job as a hand wash, but they are a godsend in the winter when you want to get salt off your car.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I just found one nearby that is at a gas station next to the freeway so if I ever need a good rinse I just run it through and hop on the freeway and boom, dry car.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Has anyone here ever tried repairing their own wheel rash?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I'm going to be attempting that soon, on my e46's stock 17's. Research indicates it should be fairly easy.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

blk posted:

Has anyone here ever tried repairing their own wheel rash?

Yeah. I did it with bondo and then sanded and painted over it and it was a 95% improvement. Probably not the best way to fix it but it looked a lot nicer.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

CountOfNowhere posted:

I'm going to be attempting that soon, on my e46's stock 17's. Research indicates it should be fairly easy.

Got a link to a guide you're following?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

blk posted:

Got a link to a guide you're following?

I'd prefer to provide links + comments after I'm done. I've googled the poo poo out of it and found some good stuff, but there isn't anything like advice gathered from doing it yourself.

I might (big might) get cracking on it tonight. I've got to drive out to the shop to swap cars as it is (plus the shop has drinkable water http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/05/portland_boil_water_alert_what.html :smith:)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

My fiance hasn't washed her car in a good 2 months. About 6 weeks ago, I cleaned half of her hood with Meguiar's Quick Detailer, and then sprayed on the Quick Wax. While it is filthy enough now that both sides match, you can still see a definitive line down the middle of the hood - the one side shines just a little more through all of the dirt. I'm really surprised, I figured that spray on stuff wouldn't last more than a couple days.

Seriously 2 months with no washing with the Quick Wax. I'm impressed.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
It really is great stuff. I've given my car one coat of NXT, and the rest of the time it gets spray waxed.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
I'm most impressed that you got such a perfectly straight line with an invisible liquid.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I do like Meguiar's stuff, especially the Ultimate Quik Detailer, it really does a great job. Actually, one of the best value all-in one kits is their Smooth Surface claybar kit - you get a couple of claybars, a spray bottle of their regular quick detailer (they intend you to use this for claying lubricant, but I say use soapy water and save the detailer for, well, detailing, unless you have some already), a small bottle of their "cleaner" wax, and a decent microfibre towel.

It's got to be one of the most efficient uses of :20bux: and an afternoon to take a car from looking "washed" to "detailed", and a great introduction for people who've never really done that sort of thing before.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Linux Nazi posted:

I'm most impressed that you got such a perfectly straight line with an invisible liquid.

I don't remember if there's a slight ridge there, but when I originally did it, there was plenty of dirt on the hood to mark my progress.

The point I was making was trying to get her to wash her car. Say what you will about the Chevy Cobalt being a horrible death trap with bad suspension design and questionable electrical system and over poor build quality, its got pretty good looking paint when its all clean.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 24, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Is the Porter Cable buffer in the OP the way to go or can I get away with one of the cheap $30-$50 options on Amazon?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

bull3964 posted:

Never knew touchless washes were hard to find, they far outnumber the ones that touch your car around here. You can trip over a touchless wash every 2-3 miles. They are easier to maintain as a turnkey business since there are fewer moving parts so I would think they would be far more common than any other type.

The only potential danger with the touchless is if their chemical mix is out of whack. It obviously won't do as nice as job as a hand wash, but they are a godsend in the winter when you want to get salt off your car.

Cool the only touchless near me does not fuckin get why touchless is good. Are you supposed to roll up and say "dont touch my car, also do not dry off my car" then just drive through it

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

blk posted:

Is the Porter Cable buffer in the OP the way to go or can I get away with one of the cheap $30-$50 options on Amazon?

Get the PC or the Griots.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Any tips on getting rid of the new car smell as fast as possible? My new C7 smells like formaldehyde and adhesive residue and it's especially bad after it's been sitting outside in the hot sun.

Going to try opening up the windows and hatch and shoving a big box fan in there.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

LordOfThePants posted:

Any tips on getting rid of the new car smell as fast as possible? My new C7 smells like formaldehyde and adhesive residue and it's especially bad after it's been sitting outside in the hot sun.

Going to try opening up the windows and hatch and shoving a big box fan in there.

Ozone generator is your best bet.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

blk posted:

I first tried a cheap one, and ended up so frustrated I bought the porter.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I've dropped my PC7424 so many loving times and I just don't care anymore because its so well built.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 26, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009

LordOfThePants posted:

Can I have yours?

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
I'm plastidipping my wheel vintage gold today, and I read that you can't use tire shine products on plastidip because it will dissolve it, just like gasoline. How am I gonna get shiny tires? Should I just block off the rim every time and be super careful with the spray, should I apply it with a cloth? I also have a purpose-built tire brush and I'm afraid it will rip up the plastidip. Anybody figure this out yet?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Use something that you don't have to spray on, and be careful with the brush on the wheels.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
I ran over a loving truck tire on the highway yesterday. It left a bunch of black scuffs on the bumper. What is the best way to get rid of these? I was thinking clay bar.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Strawberry posted:

I ran over a loving truck tire on the highway yesterday. It left a bunch of black scuffs on the bumper. What is the best way to get rid of these? I was thinking clay bar.

A clay bar will work but you will probably have to trash it afterwards. Try to take most of the rubber off with a fingernail or something first, and you may be able to reuse the clay...maybe.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Just get a little rubbing alcohol on a rag, that rubber will wipe right off. Rinse and rewax after.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

TheFrailNinja posted:

I'm plastidipping my wheel vintage gold today, and I read that you can't use tire shine products on plastidip because it will dissolve it, just like gasoline. How am I gonna get shiny tires? Should I just block off the rim every time and be super careful with the spray, should I apply it with a cloth? I also have a purpose-built tire brush and I'm afraid it will rip up the plastidip. Anybody figure this out yet?

I had my wheels dipped and never noticed a problem getting any of the typical tire shine products from the store onto the wheel. YMMV.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

TheFrailNinja posted:

If it does affect the plasti-dip, I'd say get yourself some tire gel and an applicator pad.

LessThanThree
May 2, 2005

'till infinity
Clay bars are kind of amazing.

Magic! And hours of hard work.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

LessThanThree posted:

Clay bars are kind of amazing.

Magic! And hours of hard work.

Yes they are. Now, if you really want to get detailing, you look at the car as "okay, I got it clean, now it's time to clean it." -- and get in between the panel fittings, creases and get some paint started to fill in the "S" scratch in the rocker.

Detailing never ends, you just get to a point where you're tired of minutiae.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

Detailing never ends

meatpimp posted:

Detailing never ends

meatpimp posted:

Detailing never ends

meatpimp posted:

Detailing never ends

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Oh god how true that is. I just bought a nice PDR tool kit and I'm learning on my wife's car. Working on a dent that she never noticed (it's been there since we bought it and I noticed it before that). I have removed it ~70%, but I need a knockdown tool to remove some of the high parts before I work out the deepest part of the dent.

And nobody except me will ever notice a) the initial dent, b) my interim process that has high points that bug me, or c) the finished project.

But, by god, I'll know it's right.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Soooooo I know nothing about paint or detailing and I have a few questions about the Miata:

1) I tried to get rid of a scratch using Meguiar's ScratchX and noticed that a bunch of paint was coming off on the cloth I was using:

So I immediately stopped, but I've never had ScratchX take off paint like this on my other car. What's causing this to happen? I didn't think the paint was that oxidized as it's been waxed regularly and is pretty glossy, although I'm guessing gloss/flatness has nothing to do with how oxidized it is.

2) A bird had pooped on it the other day. It took a day or two before I had time to wash it, and then it left this mark after washing (below and left of the glare/flare):

I mostly got rid of it with some Meguiar's polish, but what gives? I've never seen bird poo poo "stain" the paint like that. What causes that? Also, the Meguiar's polish (I think it was Deep Crystal but am not positive) pulled off more paint like on the rag above.

3) You can see the swirl marks in these pictures. Should I use a light polish with a rotary buffer to get rid of them, or should I be concerned about more paint coming off?

blk fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 12, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

It's a single stage paint, meaning there is no clearcoat on it (your bumpers are clearcoated, though). Paint on the wiping towel is normal.

Birdshit etches paint, there's no recovery for it, all you can do is minimize it. And clean it off the instant you see it in the future.

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound (I think the OP had it listed in the first post) will make those swirls go away very well. Then wax and enjoy a shiny car.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

meatpimp posted:

It's a single stage paint, meaning there is no clearcoat on it (your bumpers are clearcoated, though). Paint on the wiping towel is normal.

Birdshit etches paint, there's no recovery for it, all you can do is minimize it. And clean it off the instant you see it in the future.

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound (I think the OP had it listed in the first post) will make those swirls go away very well. Then wax and enjoy a shiny car.

I'm worried about taking too much paint off - would the compound take off more than a polish?

Do you think it's worth getting the car clearcoated at Maaco or something?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

blk posted:

I'm worried about taking too much paint off - would the compound take off more than a polish?

Do you think it's worth getting the car clearcoated at Maaco or something?

The paint that is coming off is oxidized and no longer really part of the paint, anyway. I wet-sanded my black Miata a couple times and used some damned aggressive compounds on it several other times. The only time I went through the paint was on the very corner of the hood at the cowl. It's pretty hearty, solid and thick. The Ultimate Compound is aggressive enough to take care of your issues, but not so much that you have to worry about paint thickness.

Clearcoating would just end up a mess. Single stage paints are great for older cars... even when they get really stupid-bad (ahem MR2), a bit of work brings them back to shiny.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Is there a decent starter kit for someone who doesn't really have anything to wash and detail cars? I just bought a black car and want to shoot myself.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rcman50166 posted:

Is there a decent starter kit for someone who doesn't really have anything to wash and detail cars? I just bought a black car and want to shoot myself.
Meguiar's Smooth Surface clay kit includes a claybay, detailing spray (they intend you to use it as clay lubricant - don't, save it for final detailing, use soapy water for clay lube), a decent microfibre towel, and a small bottle of their Cleaner Wax. :20bux: or so.

That to go after a wash with their Ultimate car shampoo will probably give you a good finish for minimum outlay.

In "hardware" terms, two buckets, wax pads, some microfibre towels, and my preference for washing is a microfibre "noodle" sponge. Using masking tape over trim makes waxing easier, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The bumpers are single stage as well on the Miata.

Blk: look at my previous posts in this thread. I have a pretty beat up NA Miata that I did some "paint correction" on.