Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SunshineDanceParty posted:

My grandmother is one of the sweetest, well read, intelligent people I know. But man she still hates the Japanese.

My girlfriend's family will probably applaud me when I tell them my grandfather fought the Japanese (:china: hate is forever!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Febreeze posted:

Yeah, Sammy is played by "Romanski", the producer. You can tell everything you need to know about him by the fact that he calls himself Romanski, which isn't even his name. I kept seeing his name in the credits and thought it was dumb, then looked it up and everything made sense.

Sammy has a couple good moments and a better actor might have made the character work, but as is he sucks, which is a shame because everyone else just keeps getting better.

The same guy plays "Punchy" in How I Met Your Mother and I'm totally convinced he's just playing himself -- an insufferably annoying loudmouth. Sammy is the worst part of BMS. Thad Castle is the best. It would be tough to call if Radon was on for more than just season 2.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

He is, however, the guy who did the awesome Drunk History episode where he talked about famed Boston arsonist Johnny Cool (spoiler alert: that's Chris Romano/Romanski's real-life dad) while poo poo-faced.

Derek Waters in AV Club interview posted:

One funny thing that happened was that we couldn’t shoot at Chris’ house, so we shot that one in a hotel, but he got home very safe. But when we were in there, he’s getting free drinks, Jack and Coke, from us. He goes to the bathroom, and when he comes back, there’s a knock at the door and it’s someone who works at the hotel and they’re like, “Hi, we have a Jack and Coke.” We’re like, “Okay, thank you. What the hell?” And it happened again after he went to the bathroom. Then we realized that he’s getting on the phone in the bathroom ordering Jack and Cokes. When he’s already getting free drinks!

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Febreeze posted:

From a page back but it really, really is.

I kept getting it high on my recommendations because I watched The League, so one day while I was working I threw it on in the background just to see if it would go away If I watched it. It starts out terrible for sure, like a straight to video American Pie thing. But halfway through season 1 the show and characters start to find a groove of stupid self awareness and earnestness.

The first season is off and on but has great moments (the pocket pussy episode, holy poo poo) but the second season and most of the third is just gold. Raydon Randell is the best. "I've got my own nerd!". Show also features a great number of subtle jabs at the NCAA.

However everything with Sammy is just awful and should they make the movie I hope that character dies. He would have been written out of any other show but in BMS he's played by the producer so he gets all this screentime despite being unable to act.

This all makes so much more sense now. I was wondering why he was shoehorned into every damned episode. But yeah, the show was pretty good. I was amazed at all the movie references, especially when they did loving Memento in a football setting. And they pulled all subtly about their dislike of the NCAA by season 3.

And I have to agree with Dango Bango, Thad Castle really is the best. The show became much more enjoyable once it became Thads crazy adventures.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Thad's vision quest when he downs Harmon's entire bottle of exotic native american peyote juice was the best "Character Goes on Drug Trip" scene/episode I have ever seen on television. It was perfect. Yeah once Thad stops being a Stifler rip-off he turns into something great.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Dango Bango posted:

The same guy plays "Punchy" in How I Met Your Mother and I'm totally convinced he's just playing himself -- an insufferably annoying loudmouth. Sammy is the worst part of BMS. Thad Castle is the best. It would be tough to call if Radon was on for more than just season 2.

No mention of Radon is complete without:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGTPVF_lsfo

If the Kickstarter video is to be believed he's gonna be in the movie.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Mrs Boat and I finished Twin Peaks and all of you who said we should skip from the big reveal to the finale were proved dead loving wrong by one simple exchange.

"I still put my panties on one leg at a time, if you know what I mean."
"...not really."

There was a drop in quality but apart from James loving Hurley we found something to enjoy in almost all of it. Finale was great.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

hcreight posted:

No mention of Radon is complete without:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGTPVF_lsfo

If the Kickstarter video is to be believed he's gonna be in the movie.

I'm almost done with the 3rd season and wish he was in it. He was a lot better than Shiloh.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Party Boat posted:

Mrs Boat and I finished Twin Peaks and all of you who said we should skip from the big reveal to the finale were proved dead loving wrong by one simple exchange.

"I still put my panties on one leg at a time, if you know what I mean."
"...not really."

There was a drop in quality but apart from James loving Hurley we found something to enjoy in almost all of it. Finale was great.
Here's a short list of other things you'll miss if you skip any of the last season of Twin Peaks:
-David Lynch shows up again and yells at a bonsai tree
-Ben Horne goes through a kind of psychotic break and is convinced he's an American Civil War general
-Andy rappels down from the ceiling of the sheriff's office in spelunking gear.

I don't consider any of those spoilers because you really have to see them for yourself to appreciate them.

Also that ending, wow. It's has to be one of the darkest and trippiest finales in TV. Basically everyone dies or has had their life ruined in some way. The only person who seems relatively unscathed is James, who rides off into the sunset before things really get bad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is there something I'm missing, or is Redbox Instant just a lovely Netflix? I assumed it would be something you'd use to stream recent films but all it has options for are "buying" most of them (or going to a physical Redbox and getting a DVD, which kind of defeats the purpose of a streaming service entirely)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Well, it's Verizon.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

theflyingexecutive posted:

Well, it's Verizon.

That should be their official slogan, spoken while shrugging.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

RightClickSaveAs posted:

-Andy rappels down from the ceiling of the sheriff's office in spelunking gear.

I like the real punchline to this one they go to the cave and easily walk through it without needing to climb at all.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Also that ending, wow. It's has to be one of the darkest and trippiest finales in TV. Basically everyone dies or has had their life ruined in some way. The only person who seems relatively unscathed is James, who rides off into the sunset before things really get bad.

Andy and Lucy also got off okay, because they decided the true father of the baby didn't matter and they were going to try and be happy regardless. There's a real theme of trying to find the truth leading to death and misery in the finale.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I just saw that Netflix cut a deal with the guys behind Trailer Park Boys for two new seasons and a bunch of standalone specials. I finally got a little tired of Trailer Park Boys by the time their series was winding down because it was all starting to feel a bit wash, rinse, repeat, but I'm still interested to see if they can do anything fun with it.

They've got a couple of recently added specials up now: Live in Fuckin' Dublin and Say Goodnight to the Bad Guys. The live show's... okay? It wasn't really my cup of tea, I guess. Bad Guys is pretty good. It's got some pretty goddamn funny Lahey stuff and an extra sweaty Randy. I liked it.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
So there's this indie little TV series called Orange is the New Black. Season 2 just posted, nobody seems to have noticed because you really have to dig to find it — it's under new releases.

Anyways, first episode of season 2 is pretty good. Here's hoping.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

DangerDummy! posted:

They've got a couple of recently added specials up now: Live in Fuckin' Dublin and Say Goodnight to the Bad Guys. The live show's... okay? It wasn't really my cup of tea, I guess. Bad Guys is pretty good. It's got some pretty goddamn funny Lahey stuff and an extra sweaty Randy. I liked it.

Seconding this. I gave the live show a chance but the story at the beginning explaining why they're doing a live show is 90s teen comedy bad. Forced, and thinks it's way funnier than it really is. It put me off the rest of the special.

Say goodnight to the bad guys is more in line with the rest of tpb and has a lot of laugh out loud bits and doesn't wear out its welcome, although I don't understand the context of the production. It's a little over 40 minutes, has a one off storyline, carries the Showcase logo, and was filmed in 2010. Does anyone know what it was for?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Cocoa Ninja posted:

So there's this indie little TV series called Orange is the New Black. Season 2 just posted, nobody seems to have noticed because you really have to dig to find it — it's under new releases.

Anyways, first episode of season 2 is pretty good. Here's hoping.

Buried? It has it's own video banner and I got a notification from the app about it.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

theflyingexecutive posted:

Buried? It has it's own video banner and I got a notification from the app about it.

I know sarcasm can sometimes be a little difficult to detect in text form, but it seems pretty clear here.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Oranges: The New Black! (stolen from Scott Aukerman of the Comedy Bang Bang podcast and TV show)

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I tried watching Unhung Hero. It's a movie about a dude who finds out from his girlfriend that he has a small penis and then makes a documentary about the culture of dick sizes. I figured it would be a good light, Saturday afternoon, gimmicky documentary. Instead, it's probably one of the most obnoxious films I've seen in a long time. The dude never develops a sense of humor about his dick and his attempts at being charming for the camera fail pretty flat. He's also a bit of an rear end in a top hat. At one point, he goes to a doctor who explains that his dick is small but big enough to mostly get the job done and says that it's like girls who are insecure about having a small chest, meaning it doesn't matter all that much. His reaction is moping for the camera and talking about how he's the guy equivalent of a girl with an a-cup like some kind of idiot. There's also the baffling choice to go inside a sex shop with a hidden camera like he's not a full grown man going into a legitimate place of business. You see people's faces, so I assumed everyone signed a release. So, I really don't get it.

Rob was taken
Mar 8, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

I tried watching Unhung Hero. It's a movie about a dude who finds out from his girlfriend that he has a small penis and then makes a documentary about the culture of dick sizes. I figured it would be a good light, Saturday afternoon, gimmicky documentary. Instead, it's probably one of the most obnoxious films I've seen in a long time. The dude never develops a sense of humor about his dick and his attempts at being charming for the camera fail pretty flat. He's also a bit of an rear end in a top hat. At one point, he goes to a doctor who explains that his dick is small but big enough to mostly get the job done and says that it's like girls who are insecure about having a small chest, meaning it doesn't matter all that much. His reaction is moping for the camera and talking about how he's the guy equivalent of a girl with an a-cup like some kind of idiot. There's also the baffling choice to go inside a sex shop with a hidden camera like he's not a full grown man going into a legitimate place of business. You see people's faces, so I assumed everyone signed a release. So, I really don't get it.

I watched it and I thought it was pretty much all staged. Didn't buy it.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
The third season of Luther really takes a turn for the worse. First two seasons were great and definitely worth a watch.

skinner
Oct 22, 2003

echronorian posted:

Seconding this. I gave the live show a chance but the story at the beginning explaining why they're doing a live show is 90s teen comedy bad. Forced, and thinks it's way funnier than it really is. It put me off the rest of the special.

Say goodnight to the bad guys is more in line with the rest of tpb and has a lot of laugh out loud bits and doesn't wear out its welcome, although I don't understand the context of the production. It's a little over 40 minutes, has a one off storyline, carries the Showcase logo, and was filmed in 2010. Does anyone know what it was for?

The live show is really only enjoyable live. It was a blast seeing them in person but I don't think I'd be interested at all in watching it again on television. I'm not sure if they had multiple story lines and bits for different shows, but seeing Julian sell hotdogs to the crowed was pretty funny.

As for Say Goodnight to the Bad Guys, it was a special like their Christmas Special. I believe it came out right after season seven ended. Or maybe it was season six? I can't remember. But it was a stand alone special.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

laxbro posted:

The third season of Luther really takes a turn for the worse. First two seasons were great and definitely worth a watch.

It's certainly depressing, but I thought the quality was almost as high. And the ending was fantastic and not expected.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Finally got around to watching Kill Bill last night and had a blast. Why did they censor Beatrix's name in volume one? I couldn't figure that one out.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Finally got around to watching Kill Bill last night and had a blast. Why did they censor Beatrix's name in volume one? I couldn't figure that one out.

It's an extended joke/bit of character building where Bill keeps calling her Kiddo and you think it's an affectation and that he has a paternal relationship with her, but that's actually her real first name and he calls her Kiddo because they're equals.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's an extended joke/bit of character building where Bill keeps calling her Kiddo and you think it's an affectation and that he has a paternal relationship with her, but that's actually her real first name and he calls her Kiddo because they're equals.

Ah, I think I see.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Nah, it was all for the silly rabbit joke.

Pickwick
Sep 12, 2009

I CAN'T EVEN TROLL LADY GAGA FANS WITHOUT FUCKING UP. PLEASE BAN ME.

precision posted:

Oh come on, I like the film but even American Mary is smarter.

Actually everyone just go watch American Mary right now. Just trust me.

I really disliked American Mary.

I thought the main character was very cliche. Speaking of Cabin in the Woods, Mary, the goth, pale, white girl who wears too much mascara and speaks in monotone while seeming emotionally distant (but who actually feels things deeply) would fit right in if they make a sequel. I'd have Zooey Deschanel play it, though.

What really disappointed me is it had a really catchy pitch. A young, talented medical student has to resort to drastic measures as she falls deeply into debt. I think that's very relatable for a lot of people in my generation. But the movie did nothing with the setting.

Beyond that, the plot was unwieldy. The movie could have been edited down to 45 minutes. A whole bunch of scenes had no relevance to the plot, and only marginally helped develop characters. For example, Mary spends some time interacting with her "Nana," but not enough time that I care about what happens to her. Maybe I was supposed to see that Mary was losing touch with her roots. Or I was supposed to draw an analogue to another character's dealings with his mother. But it really didn't do much for the movie in my opinion.

To be honest, I'm really curious as to what you saw in the movie. To me, it didn't seem like a commentary, or parody, or satire of horror movies, like Cabin in the Woods was either. It just seemed like a bad movie. And just to be clear, I'm not trying to objectively critique it. I'm not a huge horror fan in the first, place. So it's really possible I didn't even understand what it was trying to do. I'm just trying to explain why I didn't like it, and asking why anyone actually does.

Pickwick fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 8, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

American Mary is a neat, original horror movie with an excellent lead performance.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

When are they going to stop titling movies American Something?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Mescal posted:

Probably when there's no more America for the world to push around anymore, so I guess 2040, 2050-ish?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

echronorian posted:

Like skinner said, it's just a standalone. It came after season 7, and I got the feeling that it was meant to put a bow on the series in case they weren't coming back again.

And apparently, the guy who played Phil Collins died a couple years ago, so that's a bummer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Timeless Appeal posted:

I watched this to see just how much of a chode this guy is and... yeah. It's actually pretty funny how much of a bitter rear end in a top hat he as. I've also never really understood dudes who worry about their wang size so that was a bit fascinating. I'm not being smug and saying I have a huge donger (slightly above average according to statistics I guess) just that I've never thought about being worried about it either.

Jackapol
Sep 16, 2007
Huh huh buhhh.

echronorian posted:

Wait, if I remember Say Goodnight was the ending of the original series that kinda acted like a bridge between the end of season 7 and the second move. The special showed why even though the end of season 7 ended seemingly on a good note, leaving the boys out of jail with a bit of cash, they started the movie coming out of jail.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
Luther Season 3 is pretty good so far. Finished 1, started 2.

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex

Mescal posted:

When VOD services stop listing movies alphabetically.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
Ok, on final episode for Luther and putting him under arrest for the murder of his partner and attempted murder of his new girlfriend makes no loving sense.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Luther really doesn't make much sense, you either just go with the wacky poo poo or not. I go back and forth on it myself..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

priznat posted:

Luther really doesn't make much sense, you either just go with the wacky poo poo or not. I go back and forth on it myself..

Its been a a year plus since I saw the first two seasons, so maybe I don't remember it very well, but I don't remember it being very goofy. I didn't even think this season was very goofy except for him ending up on the wrong side of the law. I mean a little implausible at times, but it seemed to make sense within this strange world.

• Locked thread