Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The game would have been so much better if Jordi was the protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
Is it really that far fetched that he is hypocritical though? When he does something, he justifies it to himself. When others do a bad thing he considers it wrong and feels he needs to stop them, sometimes by doing the same thing they did, but hey they deserved what they got because they are bad men.

Hypocrisy like this is not uncommon in society. You cut someone off and you feel justified for "reasons". Someone cuts you off and you get pissed at "that rear end in a top hat"

Soarer fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 5, 2014

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Soarer posted:

Is it really that far fetched that he is hypocritical though? When he does something, he justifies it to himself. When others do a bad thing he considers it wrong and feels he needs to stop them, sometimes by doing the same thing they did, but they deserve what they get.

Hypocrisy like this is not uncommon in society. You cut someone off and you feel justified for "reasons". Someone cuts you off and you get pissed at "that rear end in a top hat"

This would require a degree of skill and self-awareness from the writers.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Soarer posted:

Is it really that far fetched that he is hypocritical though? When he does something, he justifies it to himself. When others do a bad thing he considers it wrong and feels he needs to stop them, sometimes by doing the same thing they did, but they deserve what they get.

I don't really care whether Aiden's character is realistic/plausible or not, it's more that he's not compelling, interesting or fun to play as.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Soarer posted:

Hey man, Wei is not a hypocrite. He's a cop sure, and he spends most of his time killing people/driving over innocents, but that's not hypocritical. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do!

Oh wait, we were talking about how Aiden being hypocritical is quite damning to his character/the plot again weren't we. Not the character of the other Dog related game that has the exact same problem, is also built around a singular gimmick, and also has some issues when it comes to interesting side content. I sometimes get the titles confused.

I liked Aiden for the same reasons I liked Wei. Both are goony fucks who go around beating the poo poo out of people below their pay grade because they are total assholes. Both are supposedly motivated by the loss of a female family member, which is their reason for taking apart crime rings, however it quickly becomes apparent that both are really just in this because they want to legally be able to beat people up. Just one is Asian and kills his exgirlfriend by locking her in a trunk, and one is fake white Batman.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Rookersh posted:

Hey man, Wei is not a hypocrite. He's a cop sure, and he spends most of his time killing people/driving over innocents, but that's not hypocritical. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do!

Oh wait, we were talking about how Aiden being hypocritical is quite damning to his character/the plot again weren't we. Not the character of the other Dog related game that has the exact same problem, is also built around a singular gimmick, and also has some issues when it comes to interesting side content. I sometimes get the titles confused.

I liked Aiden for the same reasons I liked Wei. Both are goony fucks who go around beating the poo poo out of people below their pay grade because they are total assholes. Both are supposedly motivated by the loss of a female family member, which is their reason for taking apart crime rings, however it quickly becomes apparent that both are really just in this because they want to legally be able to beat people up. Just one is Asian and kills his exgirlfriend by locking her in a trunk, and one is fake white Batman.

Yeah, but that's exactly it. We see Wei's character, we see how he interacts with people, we see the stress that he's under, we're given multiple opportunities to understand exactly who Wei Shen is and why he's so conflicted.

We know NOTHING about Aiden Pearce aside from the fact that his niece died and he's mad about it, and that he likes his sister. Other than that, his guard is constantly up and he's just mad at everybody in that usual videogame protagonist "Help me or I'll shoot you *does twenty missions for them anyway*" way.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Rookersh posted:

Wei's whole gimmick was that he was conflicted by the hypocrisy though. The story (where I'm up to) bends over backwards to make Aiden seems like awesome Batman vigilante hero, whereas SD had lots of 'Wei wakes up from nightmares because he's a cop who murders people' it seems like Aiden sleeps like a baby in contrast.

And really what do you mean by 'white' Batman?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wei is an undercover cop with a history in organized crime. The policing/vigilante part of his character is established well before the game starts and makes sense in the context of the game. I don't see really see that with Aiden, though. He's a crook who gets caught in a robbery at the beginning of the game, and then starts on a revenge plot. The justice-upholding vigilante stuff doesn't seem to fit with anything his character does before the game starts or even during the game, beyond that I usually don't feel like playing as a complete sociopath.

Also basically all of the characters in Sleeping Dogs are more interesting to me than in Watch Dogs. Sleeping Dogs is a more entertaining depiction of Hong Kong action tropes than Watch Dogs is of noir tropes, or whatever it's supposed to be.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I still can't get over the dude wearing a loving turtleneck while shooting people.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Does it take less than 10 minutes to match me up with someone to tail or hack yet on PC? Most of the time it takes longer than 10 minutes to tell me it couldn't find anyone

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

eXXon posted:

Sleeping Dogs is a more entertaining depiction of Hong Kong action tropes than Watch Dogs is of noir tropes, or whatever it's supposed to be.

I think the fault of this is that WD was such a big hyped up release. The more money and publicity you put into a game, the more higher-ups are gonna interfere, mandate stuff, or generally gently caress with it beacuse 'Hey *I* am investing money into this, so I should make some creative decisions!'. And you can almost see the seams were a bunch of different storylines/genres were cut up to make the story to WD. Wereas SD as a smaller, less hyped release was able to concentrate on what it was going for (a.k.a Hong Kong crime action thriller) Watch Dogs by comparison is schitzo-titso with it's mixing of Gritty Batman knockoff, Cyberpunk aspects, gangster/criminal underworld stuff, and the topical NSA conspiracy stuff.

And that's not to say you can't have that kind of variety in a game, but with WD it seems haphazardly cut-together and really unrefined. Aiden's character (being the one element that is constant through all of these changes) comes off as the worst because of it.

If you ask me they should have gone full cyberpunk and have Aiden be a fixer who doesn't pick sides but gets drawn into a larger story where he has to decide whether he's a good guy or a bad guy (and give meaning to that reputation meter) or have him start off as a crazy grisly hobo if you want to go for the 'mad hacker revenge story' thing. But really as it stands Aiden has his cake and eats it too when it comes to being a gritty anti-hero with no accountability and therefore no personality.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

blackguy32 posted:

I still can't get over the dude wearing a loving turtleneck while shooting people.

Excuse me, it's a tactileneck thank you very much

(When I ran into Aisha Taylor,I may have yelled "danger zoaaane")

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Does it take less than 10 minutes to match me up with someone to tail or hack yet on PC? Most of the time it takes longer than 10 minutes to tell me it couldn't find anyone

I still have yet to be able to connect to a online Free roam session

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013
Someone said a million pages ago thatt he gamer eminded them of Alpha Protocol, and I think thats a pretty good comparison. Obviously its lacking the fluid story elements, but the stealth-lite combat and electronics hacking really remind me of AP. Especially given that slowing time and lining up headshots with a silenced pistol from behind a crate is overpowered in both games haha. I think adding the fluid story elements would be a really good direction for the IP, especially given how unclear the dudes motivations are, just give the player control over that.

That said though, the combat is definitely way better and less technical than AP, and Ive found that stealthing everything with silencers, while its really effective and easy, is really tedious and slow. Just use stealthf or recon, disabling reinforcement calls, and setting up the area for a full on assault. Its a ton faster and a lot more fun. The AI is also more interesting in an assault too, theyre super boring and overly cautious when they dont know where you are, which amplifies the tedium cause you have to wait for them to slowly trudge into the open, turn their back etc. etc.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I like the gunplay, simply because of the fact that hitting headshots at longe range with your pistol is pretty hard. That combined with the fact that the recoil is actually pretty strong. That makes the gun just feel pretty powerfull.

In addition to the fact they sound pretty good.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
One detail struck me as I was going through the Iraq ghetto section: a lot of the people you kill are basically kids when you first go there, I noticed at least 3/4 15 year olds.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, but that's exactly it. We see Wei's character, we see how he interacts with people, we see the stress that he's under, we're given multiple opportunities to understand exactly who Wei Shen is and why he's so conflicted.

I think if you dig around in his phone you can get backstory on Aiden. He's an antisocial thug from way back who was "uplifted" by a hacker with questionable taste in hats, he then learned a few things about computers & eventually lost contact with the guy who used to hold his leash when poo poo went south. If you go off of the dearth of information about Aiden we can glean from his environment, we see he's a basically homeless obsessive who hangs out in shipping containers, spies on his sister and plots revenge against the people he blames for the death of his niece, causing ridiculous amounts of collateral damage in the process. His digital trips allegedly are connected to his own hosed up psyche, which is why he sees evil robots trying to catch him while his sister calls him names, conspiracies about fake people walking among us, mowing down all the "zombies" who populate the streets, etc. He's an untreated paranoid schizotypal with an antisocial streak a mile long and only the public and some people around him laud his actions, mainly because he's a very powerful piece in whatever game they're playing, or because they misunderstand his motivations.

I feel like they do a pretty good job establishing who Aiden really is and, even if there's not a bunch of monologuing about it, it's not exactly subtle either.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

mysterious frankie posted:

I think if you dig around in his phone you can get backstory on Aiden. He's an antisocial thug from way back who was "uplifted" by a hacker with questionable taste in hats, he then learned a few things about computers & eventually lost contact with the guy who used to hold his leash when poo poo went south. If you go off of the dearth of information about Aiden we can glean from his environment, we see he's a basically homeless obsessive who hangs out in shipping containers, spies on his sister and plots revenge against the people he blames for the death of his niece, causing ridiculous amounts of collateral damage in the process. His digital trips allegedly are connected to his own hosed up psyche, which is why he sees evil robots trying to catch him while his sister calls him names, conspiracies about fake people walking among us, mowing down all the "zombies" who populate the streets, etc. He's an untreated paranoid schizotypal with an antisocial streak a mile long and only the public and some people around him laud his actions, mainly because he's a very powerful piece in whatever game they're playing, or because they misunderstand his motivations.

I feel like they do a pretty good job establishing who Aiden really is and, even if there's not a bunch of monologuing about it, it's not exactly subtle either.

I wish this was true.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
This game is so heavy handed at times in pointing out how suspect and impossible Aiden's quest for justice is that I genuinely do not understand where some of you learned to parse things like "good writing".

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Party Plane Jones posted:

One detail struck me as I was going through the Iraq ghetto section: a lot of the people you kill are basically kids when you first go there, I noticed at least 3/4 15 year olds.

Tried as adults by jury, judge and executioner Aiden Pearce.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Which video options create the most GPU heat?

I don't like standing on the border of 70 degrees Celsius. I'd rather stand on the border of 60c.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES
Another tip - maybe everyone knows this - but I've had good success dumping cops by getting on a train and just hacking it to keep it going. Somehow usually the helicopter still follows you, but you can walk to the next train car and almost always see it between cars looking up and hack it even with the first level of that skill to get it to stop for long enough for the train to get away.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
So I have a 2009 iMac and figured, poo poo, if this game runs on the 360 and PS3, I'm sure it will work fine even though I don't remotely meet the requirements? So after "hacking" my way into the game (whoa meta; http://www.crashwiki.com/can-launch-watch-dogs-directx-10-images/ ) I'm slightly surprised that it still runs like a slideshow, like maybe literally 2fps, even at 800x600 and with all settings off or to lowest.

I mean the Radeon HD 4850 is not exactly a paragon of graphical power (also 2.66 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM) but I'm kind of surprised it's this terrible, and I have pretty low standards for graphical quality. I guess running it in DirectX10-emulating-11 is the problem, but still, I would imagine it would've been trivial to make it work on older graphics cards on the PC version. This is the only game I've had any trouble with at all, Dark Souls 2 and Metro Last Light ran just fine on medium settings / 720p.

Edit: What's also odd is that DirectX 11 is installed on my computer, so not sure what the "secret" Direct X 11 is that I need and apparently can't install.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 5, 2014

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Maybe it's because the only way you can run it is by emulating something that should actually be on your graphics card. Also your computer is half a decade old.

I wonder why they made it so exclusive to such modern hardware so esoterically... It's like building a failsafe into the game "you cannot run this without supporting our sponsors first"

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

NeoSeeker posted:

Maybe it's because the only way you can run it is by emulating something that should actually be on your graphics card. Also your computer is half a decade old.

The XBox360 and PS3 are substantially older, but the game runs fine in mediocre settings on those. Why should a much faster computer not be able to handle it? I don't care about ultra and the only computers I buy anymore are laptops.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Saladman posted:

The XBox360 and PS3 are substantially older, but the game runs fine in mediocre settings on those. Why should a much faster computer not be able to handle it? I don't care about ultra.

Because they optimized the game specifically for that hardware. Not to mention last gen consoles had some weird as poo poo architecture. As in does your processor have 16 or something cores?

And the whole "this game only runs on DX11 on PC" thing. Which means the last gen console versions don't need to meet that requirement.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 5, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saladman posted:

So I have a 2009 iMac and figured, poo poo, if this game runs on the 360 and PS3, I'm sure it will work fine even though I don't remotely meet the requirements? So after "hacking" my way into the game (whoa meta; http://www.crashwiki.com/can-launch-watch-dogs-directx-10-images/ ) I'm slightly surprised that it still runs like a slideshow, like maybe literally 2fps, even at 800x600 and with all settings off or to lowest.

I mean the Radeon HD 4850 is not exactly a paragon of graphical power (also 2.66 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM) but I'm kind of surprised it's this terrible, and I have pretty low standards for graphical quality. I guess running it in DirectX10-emulating-11 is the problem, but still, I would imagine it would've been trivial to make it work on older graphics cards on the PC version. This is the only game I've had any trouble with at all, Dark Souls 2 and Metro Last Light ran just fine on medium settings / 720p.

Edit: What's also odd is that DirectX 11 is installed on my computer, so not sure what the "secret" Direct X 11 is that I need and apparently can't install.

Your first baby lesson into how hardware works and that game consoles are nothing like PCs.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Your second lesson should be to read up and realize the PC version is equal to the next-gen console versions, and therefore have requirements closer to those consoles.

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010

TemporalParadox posted:

So I've been playing a lot of online, specifically Tailing missions. I have all 10 contracts for it completed, and yet the game suddenly locked me out of multiplayer. Now it's forcing me to progress further through the campaign to unlock multiplayer again.

Not cool.

Wait, I'm going to get locked out of playing online for playing online too much? Does the same happen with the other online modes?

Also, how common is it that someone is using a trainer (PC) online? Can we expect UBI to do any kind of cheat prevention patching?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Yeah, i saw that too. I am mixed with the game so far, it reminds me alot of assassins creed 1 with the interesting concepts and overly heavy handed messaging. I dont mind heavy handed messaging sometimes and think it works well in some games such as the new wolfenstein game. in watch dogs, its mixed, the profile stuff made me actually try to be non-lethal at points, the problem comes in when act 2 roles around. I loving wasted crispin and all his gently caress faced friends so hard. aiden has the same problems altair does, he is to much of blank slate.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Excuse me, it's a tactileneck thank you very much

(When I ran into Aisha Taylor,I may have yelled "danger zoaaane")

Saints Row's character editor lets you make an absolutely perfect Sterling Archer. I played all of 3 as Archer and it fit the game's story almost perfectly.

NeoSeeker posted:

Which video options create the most GPU heat?

I don't like standing on the border of 70 degrees Celsius. I'd rather stand on the border of 60c.

Going from big to small in GPU cost

SSAO (biggest) > MSAA (32x > 16x > 8x, etc.) > DOF / LOD / Reflections/ Texture Size / Shader Quality / Water / Shadows > Everything else

Set pre-rendered frames to 1 if you haven't already.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/watch-dogs-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 5, 2014

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tried some of the multiplayer yesterday. Had a good tailing and a bad tailing.

Good tailing: Join the multiplayer to find my target running like a maniac on foot. Began casually walking down the sidewalk. He'd often run out of view, but then double back and come back into view. I eventually realized he was trying to find the right camera for a QR code, and was having no luck. Got the whole tail completed without ever deviating from a straight-line walk down a single sidewalk.

Bad tailing: Joined the multiplayer to find the target on foot on the opposite corner of a building (he's in the street, I'm in the alley). Just as I emerged from the alley and would get him in sight, he steals a car and tears off at speed. It took me long enough to find my own car that I almost lost him once or twice (not to mention that he didn't seem to care about running over pedestrians, so he had a much easier time driving). When I finally catch up to him, he jumps out of his car and starts running around all crazy. Obviously I can't jump out of the car in front of him, so I drive around a corner and jump out, hoping to start casually walking around the corner and him be none the wiser. Nope, I'd been going too fast to catch up with him, and he knew another non-NPC was in my game. Ran straight at me, I didn't have a chance.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RILVX9W3vRY

Superbunnyhop telling it like it is.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I used to not care about lethal and non-lethal ways of dealing with NPCs. They were all fair game. Then I got to the ghetto and I profiled a bunch of kids whose occupations were stuff like 'Community outreach volunteer' and I just couldn't kill them anymore.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Speedball posted:

Superbunnyhop telling it like it is.

This is the same annoying youtube personality who thought 2033 was a better game than Last Light.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Man I don't enjoy how they bundled team and FFA encryption.

Team is fun and gets a lot of mileage out of all the game's systems. FFA is trading spawn kills.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

TemporalParadox posted:

Yeah something definitely screwed up with my game.
I have all of my skills unlocked but I don't seem to have them, or at least some of them. I'm smashing parked car windows again to get into them.
Time to start over I guess..

If you're using cloud saving, don't.

Spiky Ooze posted:

Man I don't enjoy how they bundled team and FFA encryption.

Team is fun and gets a lot of mileage out of all the game's systems. FFA is trading spawn kills.

I think the worst thing is putting adversarial free roam and passive mode people in the same game. Don't think they even look different on the map, given that I shot one guy repeatedly to no effect, then another one grenaded me in the face over and over until I died (although I might have been crushed by geometry or something).

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 6, 2014

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I just finished the story and I have to say I'm really underwhelmed by it. The fact that all throughout the game you're fighting Blume and CTOS and basically siding with DedSEC the whole time, it doesn't make sense that you wouldn't give them the thirty seconds they asked for right there at the end, or at least give us the choice to do it. With Blume still operating and sweeping everything under the rug to set up for a sequel, it seriously feels like nothing was accomplished and the whole story was pointless. Aiden killed the dudes responsible for his niece's murder but ignored the ongoing battle between DedSEC and Blume that he was taking part in. The side missions are all for the benefit of DedSEC and it feels like you're siding with them. Even if it's just a hamhanded way of saying that no one should have that amount of control, it still makes no sense because Blume is still in control and it's obvious that they would be when you shut down the system. It's obvious and half-assed sequel baiting and really soured what was otherwise an enjoyable game. The story was bad overall but the missions felt like they were going to some goal and this just ruined any sense of accomplishment I had.

All that said, I really enjoyed the last mission and it was well designed and fun.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Discendo Vox posted:

Pearce doesn't actually care about being a vigilante, this is just the public perception of him, something he uses to his advantage. He begins the story purely motivated by the desire for revenge against the people who hurt him and his family.
drat son, Pearce' so slick he even manipulates the media and public at large into their making up reasons for him being a psychopath. He must've read "The Art of Deception" like 10 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I love that 2 inch diameter trees are tougher than telephone poles :allears:

Aside from that and the keyboard controls in vehicles overturning me, I have thoroughly enjoyed running around as Batman the Autistic Vigilante.

• Locked thread