Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I ran a dungeon in the first time in forever a few weeks ago and I was boiled dogshit performance-wise (and I used to be at least decent, far better than the average pubbie at the time). Pubbies who have kept up with builds will probably be much better than goons at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

guppy posted:

I ran a dungeon in the first time in forever a few weeks ago and I was boiled dogshit performance-wise (and I used to be at least decent, far better than the average pubbie at the time). Pubbies who have kept up with builds will probably be much better than goons at this point.

Coming from FF14 TSW still runs like poo poo while looking far worse.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Killsion posted:

Too bad Joel didn't kill himself in disgrace like the first game director for 14, then funcom bring in someone with a clue.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Killsion posted:

Yeah, I just jumped to ff14, and it doesn't seem like it is worth coming back.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I just stick with this one as I honestly don't want to pay for MMOs anymore and since this happens to be one I have a lifetime sub in theres always stuff for me to come back to. And I haven't even progressed that far in the game. I'm still in the Scorched Desert.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Well I made it to Tokyo. Seems my "kill stuff slow and never die" build isn't really cutting it though with this AEGIS thing.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Killsion posted:

Well I made it to Tokyo. Seems my "kill stuff slow and never die" build isn't really cutting it though with this AEGIS thing.
Yeah I'm away from home so I tried using my laptop to play, but using a trackpad is like moving my character through mud and I end up standing in every single AOE, which... doesn't work great. I found for the most part that having two builders works. I want a kimono, so I guess I'll be running Tokyo missions for the next week or so...

I did really like the mission near the beginning with Sarah. The voice acting was really good. I got partway through the story mission after reaching the bath house and I gave up because of trackpad and combat, so I'm running around with a giant flag on my back, which is kind of neat and collecting lore and stuff.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Is Issue #9 not for sale in the Item Store yet unless you're a special club member?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kumo posted:

Is Issue #9 not for sale in the Item Store yet unless you're a special club member?

Subscribers and Grandmasters get it before the non-payers.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Len posted:

Subscribers and Grandmasters get it before the non-payers.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
This aegis system is really screwing with my mojo. Maybe'e I'd adapt to this better if I had kept playing but I'm so lost now with builds I just don't know anything about. I've got like 760 bullion too. I don't even know how I got that much.

EDIT: People are reporting that the NY raid Whisper is hitting for piss. I'd be down for an easy raid.

Killsion fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 6, 2014

CaudaVenenus
Sep 17, 2004

Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you.

Killsion posted:

This aegis system is really screwing with my mojo. Maybe'e I'd adapt to this better if I had kept playing but I'm so lost now with builds I just don't know anything about. I've got like 760 bullion too. I don't even know how I got that much.

It unnerved me a bit too but I think I got the hand of it now. The key at least at first is to have all your abilities from just one weapon and keep maybe a consumer for your off-hand that you can use once their shield is down. You attach all three AEGIS controller to that weapon and blast away with it, switching between controllers when necessary.

You need a versatile weapon obviously, good for both groups and single target and with good mobility to dodge all those AoE. I'm hesitating between Shotgun and Blade at the moment. Shotgun has range, so better mobility, and some decent cooldown abilities, but Blade starts the fight with 5 resources. I use elementalism as my off-hand: since I'm going to be building up 5 ressource anyway as I chew down the shield, might as well go straight for Thor's Hammer.

Incidentally, EF has not been nerfed yet I believe.

Otherwise my feedback on Tokyo so far is that it feels really, really barebones content-wise. There is ONE real mission in it, aside from the main storyline and the smaller fed-ex style side missions (one of which being "kill 150 monsters". Seriously). The playfield is very small compared to any of the others, and it doesn't help that a lot of that ground is occupied by buildings you can't enter. They need to release those extra mission packs fast.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
One of the (repeatable) missions gives you an extra aegis so it's really just a matter of time before you can have both weapons maxed out.

edit: You can have a total of six aegis equipped but only one active for each main weapon slot. So if I have a shotgun and a blade and I equip a demonic and cyber aegis on each respectively, only my shotgun attacks will do demonic damage while my blade will only do cyber damage. You can grind one of the missions and get all six aegis slots filled so you aren't stuck with taking down an enemy's shield with say just a consumer.

Kegslayer fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 6, 2014

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
I thought you could only have 2 AEGIS equipped at a time.

CaudaVenenus
Sep 17, 2004

Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you.
Not quite : you have 2 x 3 slots. For each weapon you have equipped, you can have 3 AEGIS controllers associated, but only one of them will be "active" at any time. A new pair of button in the game's main UI lets you set which controller is active for each weapon. Switching from one to another prevents you from using your abilities for 1 or 2 seconds.

Honestly the AEGIS system, in the very early stage that I have tried at least, is more an extra UI pain in the rear end that you have to deal with in the middle of combat than anything tactically challenging. I can see how it could make group fights more interesting though, and hopefully it will translate into some power upgrade later along the way (either in extra damage or survivability).

I have found it somewhat frustrating especially because some of the enemies in Tokyo are pretty dangerous in a good way, fast and mobile with treacherous AoEs that remind me a bit of the DPS Gatekeeper fight.

Broand
Oct 13, 2011
I'm experiencing a bug, when I select a character after the login screen, I get a loading screen as normal which fades out back into the login screen. There isn't any error messages or anything like that. Anyone got any ideas on why this is happening?

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Broand posted:

I'm experiencing a bug, when I select a character after the login screen, I get a loading screen as normal which fades out back into the login screen. There isn't any error messages or anything like that. Anyone got any ideas on why this is happening?

Pretty sure that used to happen if the zone was broken?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Or you left the client running overnight and haven't patched. A new version went live today, so restart your client and see if you need to update.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

So since the last time I played this game they've introduced Signets, Augments and AEGIS. At what point do I need to start worrying about Signets and Augments?

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

From what I've seen, you don't really have to worry about Signets until you're getting QL10 gear in Transylvania.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Le Saboteur posted:

So since the last time I played this game they've introduced Signets, Augments and AEGIS. At what point do I need to start worrying about Signets and Augments?

Signets were in at launch, you probably didn't notice them because the only place to get them outside of lairs (which are QL10) and Issue 5/6/7 rewards (also QL10) is in Transylvania. Don't worry about Augments until you get to that point in the story, or even then. (They're mostly for people who're done with all the other progressions.)

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Cheston posted:

Signets were in at launch, you probably didn't notice them because the only place to get them outside of lairs (which are QL10) and Issue 5/6/7 rewards (also QL10) is in Transylvania. Don't worry about Augments until you get to that point in the story, or even then. (They're mostly for people who're done with all the other progressions.)

Do you just insert Signets into QL10 items by putting the item and the matching signet in the Assembly window? Do you need a special kit or anything?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

Um...you can get signets from any zone with NM mobs and every zone from Blue Mountain on up has signet reward quests. Come on Cheston I know you know better than that!

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

Has anyone been able to finish The Gathering lately? I'm on Tier 5 and I keep getting dogpiled by the three dudes around Tugamir. The guide on Unfair.co says they don't all draw aggro at once, but I think that's crap.

UPDATE: I was able to kite 2 of Tugamir's mooks away (I had to hit them at about 15m away), but attacking the third one caused Tugamir to go after me too. After a lengthy chase around a tree Tugamir's mook was dead and Tugamir himself just stood there. Then he turned into a bat after letting me Afflict him down to about 1/4 health. rear end in a top hat.

Baofu fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 6, 2014

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Le Saboteur posted:

Do you just insert Signets into QL10 items by putting the item and the matching signet in the Assembly window? Do you need a special kit or anything?

Don't need a kit, just put the signet with the items. I wouldn't suggest slotting a signet unless you slot it in to custom upgradable gear.

Edit:

Broand posted:

This happens if I log in directly with the TSW.exe instead of using the client patcher.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 6, 2014

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Len posted:

Um...you can get signets from any zone with NM mobs and every zone from Blue Mountain on up has signet reward quests. Come on Cheston I know you know better than that!

Pfffbt, those are issue 5/6 missions. And I'm going to presume nobody hits up the Quarry in QL4 gear.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

Pfffbt, those are issue 5/6 missions. And I'm going to presume nobody hits up the Quarry in QL4 gear.

You wait until I get home and can give a better list. You are the wrongest person. Discounting issue 5 there's still the Orochi mission that sends you into the Quarry in Blue Mountain.

Egypt has two missions in the mummy area and the one in the CotSG place where you can't glance or they heal.

Kingsmouth has the airport for nm zombies and the nearby ocean for deep ones.

I believe savage coast has homunculi but I'm not 100% on that.

Edit: I don't even care at this point. I've fat fingered Ctrl+space four times trying to past this information. Just click this link and look at the interactive maps. http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=58175 Every zone has a lair plus at least one nightmare mob zone. Cheston just apparently never bothered to learn anything beyond weekend warriors, the quarry, or Transylvania. And he probably doesn't even know how many of those there are in that region.

Missions that reward them pre-issues:

Blue Mountain:
The Filth Amendment

Scorched Desert:
The Last Legion
Scattered to the Wind

City of the Sun God:
The Eye of Horus

Besieged Farmlands:
Scarecrows for Dummies
Revenged Served Hot
Herbal Essence
The Cost of Magic

Shadowy Forest:
The Last Dance of the Paduri
Free Spirit
Fatal Fungi

Carpatian Fangs:
A History of Violins
The Girl is Gone
Contagion
Too Deep

Sure they ramp up in Trans but they exist outside that area and it's entirely possible for a newbie to have stumbled on them early.

Len fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 7, 2014

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Logged in to take a look and seems they haven't nerfed EF itself yet, but FitH is now instant, so it eats the EF. They haven't touched FitH damage though so now it's one of the worst filler skills in the game. Good job, needed more of those :allears:

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010
Any suggestions for a Scenarios Build? I was primarily AR/Ele way back. Also what's a decent way to earn black bullion besides NMs?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

QQmore posted:

Also what's a decent way to earn black bullion besides NMs?

Unless things have changed the only other way to get bullion is through event bags.

Edit: Other than raids. But most pubs won't take you unless you can prove you have a 10.5 already. Unless that's changed too.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Unless things have changed the only other way to get bullion is through event bags.

Edit: Other than raids. But most pubs won't take you unless you can prove you have a 10.5 already. Unless that's changed too.
This would be the first time in the history of MMOs for remaining players to not turn into more elitist assholes over time.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
So I finished Tokyo, and got an AEGIS to 100%. Then I realized that to upgrade the QL of an AEGIS... you spend Sequins of Sunrise, obtained from running Tokyo mission. So much for getting the kimono and hakama...

Gotta admit though, as defeating as Tokyo is, I really would like to run some NMs and stuff again with you all.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Huh, Tokyo actually looks pretty good now.

QQmore posted:

Any suggestions for a Scenarios Build? I was primarily AR/Ele way back. Also what's a decent way to earn black bullion besides NMs?

Blades/Chaos with Karma, Breakdown, Leeching Frenzy, and Clearing the Path for starters. I made a full build here that should work well even if you aren't way too purple.

Killsion posted:

Gotta admit though, as defeating as Tokyo is, I really would like to run some NMs and stuff again with you all.

Same, so who *hasn't* uninstalled this game in the last six months?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Cheston posted:

Huh, Tokyo actually looks pretty good now.

Blades/Chaos with Karma, Breakdown, Leeching Frenzy, and Clearing the Path for starters. I made a full build here that should work well even if you aren't way too purple.

Same, so who *hasn't* uninstalled this game in the last six months?

Yo

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
I keep my client up to date.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Oh god, I'm turning into Platbeard on the official forums.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Killsion posted:

Oh god, I'm turning into Platbeard on the official forums.

Links.

And Cheston I keep myself up to date.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I still have mine. :shobon:

Not geared for Nightmares though.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

Cant believe the nudity thing still works. I'm guessing that if I put on any clothes I will never be able to run around in naked glory again.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ShadowMoo posted:

Cant believe the nudity thing still works. I'm guessing that if I put on any clothes I will never be able to run around in naked glory again.

The male speedo is an actual article of clothing now and slightly more revealing than that.

Edit: Also the bare chest.

• Locked thread