Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Darkrenown posted:

Can you tell if that northern most nocluture is Komi or Khanty in CK2?

I did not, I don't tend to play mods for our games because I frequently write feedback to the relevant teams and playing a mod would prevent that. I did read his posted design stuff, I really liked his unified revolts and the loyalist faction, which I lobbied for stealing. The law system just seemed like a different approach rather than a better one, to me, and the faction mood system seemed like something you would have to play with rather than just read about to appreciate.

The reason I thought the faction mood thing was useful, was one thing it did was if you accepted a faction's demands, they wouldn't issue anymore demands for a while. Which meant that you wouldn't necessarily have multiple civil wars at once.

Also, another fun thing that I noticed. Made it to high crown authority, and then got hit with a regency. My regent forced me down to minimal crown authority because he hated me. Is that WAD. that you can only go up in crown authority once per ruler, but can get slammed down to the bottom super fast with an rear end in a top hat regent?

Alikchi posted:

Someone needs to just take the last version of CK2+ that Wiz released and make it compatible with Rajas CK2.

"just" hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Been looking at that Midweek Madness for the past day. I have a term paper due Monday, and then my summer classes start. But Sons of Abraham and Rajas are on sale! But I have no time to play them!

drat you Midweek Madness. You win.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Shiny777 posted:

Give them a county or barony within your territory if they don't already have one, be same culture/religion, and hold an emperor level title. Offer them vassalization, and if the head of the order likes you, he should accept.

Oh. :(

I guess I can forget about that for my current game, then. I'm the Norse German King of Pomerania, so no emperor title or 'same culture' for me.

Gregen
Jun 12, 2010

JerikTelorian posted:

There's not even an option to declare war -- it's just not there.

This looks like the same problem as capturing Rome sometimes has, where the Pope is displaced and unlanded, and war can't be declared to mop up the last of his territory. Rulers need to own an actual piece of land to have war declared on them, so you need to assassinate one of that Duke's vassals so that the Duke inherits, at which point you can declare war on him to finish clearing out his land. Sometimes it can be a long line of assassinations before the title makes it back up to the ruler. Make sure you kill all heirs until you see the heir is the Duke himself, once you see that go ahead and kill the vassal to have the Duke inherit. You should probably pause the game during this last part, and do the assassination and declaration of war immediately before resuming.

I guess you need an mailing address to have declarations of war sent to you :shrug:.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I've never conquered all of Byzantium, but aren't there restrictions on it for other religions forming it? Seems like more hassle than it's worth.

To create the empire title you need to be orthodox, but if you're lucky enough to usurp it (byz emperor can have no de jure Byzantine territory) then any religion can have it...though not sure if that gives you the ecumenical patriarch or not.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So, Kingdom of Jerusalem start. I held onto the kingdom and beat off enough Jihads that they have left me relatively alone now. I have most of the de jure country. While I was fighting, I got an event where you can choose to be merciful and an infidel soldier is impressed and asks to work for you. (I don't know if this is a HIP/VIET thing or Vanilla, I haven't played an actual Catholic crusading king in quite a while.) So this guy's a pretty cool Kurdish fellow, nice stats. I convert him to Catholicism and set him up with the land I conquered and married him to a spare sister I had lying around.

Fast forward years later. King dies, young son inherits. I have that same sister (who had a great education trait and otherwise some good traits I wanted) tutor him.

APPARENTLY my sister converted cultures at some point when I was not looking. All hail King Francois, the French-Kurdish king of Jerusalem?

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011

snoremac posted:

Whenever I choose to raise levies two of my vassals aren't producing troops. They both have them stocked up, and I'm on good terms with them, but I can never raise levies. Why is that? In the military menu the levies appear depleted but they appear full (but still inaccessible) in the holdings section.

I've had this problem recently too, as the HRE. Couldn't get any troops from Bavaria and some others. For me they even showed up as full in the military menu, and the raise all vassal levies button was clickable but didn't do anything. No idea if this is a bug or something else though. I lost the election fairly soon after and ended up back as duke, so I wasn't able to do any more testing with it.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
Is there anyway to cheat the game-time to the end of 1450 or so with an ironman savegame?

Right now it takes me >1h for ten ingame years and i have still 80 to go, but I already conquered everything and would like to export my game to EUIV?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

wilbur.walsh posted:

Is there anyway to cheat the game-time to the end of 1450 or so with an ironman savegame?

Right now it takes me >1h for ten ingame years and i have still 80 to go, but I already conquered everything and would like to export my game to EUIV?

You can export whenever you want, eu4 will still start at the proper time.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

wilbur.walsh posted:

What is the point of converting unless you gonna play as someone else and try to fight your empire.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?

SeaTard posted:

You can export whenever you want, eu4 will still start at the proper time.

Oh.. that's really good to know!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What is the point of converting unless you gonna play as someone else and try to fight your empire.

Wait that's possible?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

WilliamAnderson posted:

Also, another fun thing that I noticed. Made it to high crown authority, and then got hit with a regency. My regent forced me down to minimal crown authority because he hated me. Is that WAD. that you can only go up in crown authority once per ruler, but can get slammed down to the bottom super fast with an rear end in a top hat regent?

Should not be. Did he do it in one step or did he have multiple events? I thought this only happened when you had multiple regents each taking you down one level.

wilbur.walsh posted:

Wait that's possible?

Sure, you can pick whoever you want before hitting "play".

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Not owning EUIV, but I guess some people want to complete their world conquest?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

JerikTelorian posted:

It is not, but I figured it out: There is a "Compress Game Data" checkbox now.

Would anyone mind looking at this game for me? my Liege recently pressed my de jure claim on Amalfi (I am duke of Salerno) and succeeded; I now have Amalfi. I'd like to capture Neapolis and tidy up the whole region, but I can't actually declare war on Neapolis, because their Liege is the former Doge of the Amalfi republic (who doesn't get to live in Amalfi because I own it now). How do I fix this? Also, and ideas as to why I still can't Educate Children would be fantastic. The game seems to think I'm living in Pavia (because I've been training troops there as Marshall) so maybe that's why?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28675812/Benevento914_03_26.zip

Here's a picture of the problem with the doge:

There's not even an option to declare war -- it's just not there.

It's because he's unlanded. Did you play this game in the beta version?

Quick way to fix it, use console - "charinfo", check the id of the problem doge, console "kill <HisID>". Use console - "charinfo" again to turn it off.

You don't seem to have a CB on Neapolis though, so you'll need to forge a claim or something.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

WilliamAnderson posted:

The reason I thought the faction mood thing was useful, was one thing it did was if you accepted a faction's demands, they wouldn't issue anymore demands for a while. Which meant that you wouldn't necessarily have multiple civil wars at once.

"just" hahaha

Paradox should stop being lazy and incorporate the CK2+ faction system into the base game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

wilbur.walsh posted:

Wait that's possible?

You can do it within CK2. Saved games are just a state of the world. One fun thing to do is start as a major power, declare war on everyone in range and trigger a bunch of internal revolts through tyranny, then save and restart as someone else and see how the dust settles.

Korwin
Jan 24, 2011
loving Irish are kicking my rear end with cultural Revolution.
What are the triggers of those?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Korwin posted:

• Dynasty is: Mao
  • Has government type: Communist dictatorship
  • Year is at least 1965
  • Has character flag: Little Red Book

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

As a brand new owner of RoI, what's a fun mid-size power I should play as in the Middle East or India for my first game?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Korwin posted:

I assume you mean Liberation Revolts? They're triggered by being held by an Empire/Kingdom holding non-de jure land in Ireland while the Kingdom of Ireland does not exist.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

fool_of_sound posted:

I assume you mean Liberation Revolts? They're triggered by being held by an Empire/Kingdom holding non-de jure land in Ireland while the Kingdom of Ireland does not exist.

Although if I was paying attention, it really doesn't matter; create the Kingdom and you'll get religious or peasant revolts instead.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

ulmont posted:

Although if I was paying attention, it really doesn't matter; create the Kingdom and you'll get religious or peasant revolts instead.

Liberation revolts are noticeably stronger than regular revolts, in my experience. So you'll at least tone down how many men you've gotta squash.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jedit posted:

You can do it within CK2. Saved games are just a state of the world. One fun thing to do is start as a major power, declare war on everyone in range and trigger a bunch of internal revolts through tyranny, then save and restart as someone else and see how the dust settles.

A saved game is no different from a historical bookmark, unless it's an ironman save (obviously). So, if you've run out of things to do in a game, but still want to see how things turn out in that world, you can swap over to another realm.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Allyn posted:

Liberation revolts are noticeably stronger than regular revolts, in my experience. So you'll at least tone down how many men you've gotta squash.

Yeah, but liberation revolts are independent. The religious revolters all merge together, so you can't stop one without stopping them all. This is particularly bad because all revolters will accept a white peace (which will imprison the leader) at 50%, so it takes a lot longer when a new religious revolt joins the old one.

Further I swear I always get the double-religious revolt (revolt followed by second revolt) on the same day.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Wouldn't be a merchant republic if I didn't hold territory all over the place.

I won the crusade only using mercenaries because my retinue had been wiped out in a moment of stupidity. I was still making money with 10k mercs running around Jerusalem though.
It also helps when you can ask the pope for 2000 gold at a time, and multiple times because he likes you very much when you're crusading.

Can I form the empire of Hispania as Genoa? Because I figure that's my best bet of vassalising the pope.

Mantees
Oct 24, 2008
So, I bought this and finished the tutorial yesterday.

Could you please reccommend me a good 867 start to have the easiest and possibly least traumatic experience of the game?
In EU4 I play as France which is considered by many the easiest country to play with, especially because it is so powerful that you can't gently caress it too badly :)

What is the equivalent of France in CK2?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mantees posted:

Could you please reccommend me a good 867 start to have the easiest and possibly least traumatic experience of the game?
In EU4 I play as France which is considered by many the easiest country to play with, especially because it is so powerful that you can't gently caress it too badly :)

Ivar the Boneless, probably.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Ivar is a viking, which isn't really the base way to play, and he starts immediately at war. King of Italy I'd say. You're part of the Karling blob, so some with lots of powerful allies, the merchant republics take a while to become anything like a threat, there's potential for expansion by wars to the south and expansion by inheritance in the north, and there's only a dozen or so duchies in Italy so vassal management isn't too much of a chore.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Mantees posted:

The Byzantium Empire 867 is easy mode. Lots of room for expansion, gobble up all those smaller neighbours in your De Jure territory, and if you feel like it you can take on big targets like the Abbasids.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Mantees posted:

The 867 CK2 equivalent of France is also France. (well, fine, West Francia)

But Italy or Germany or Bavaria works too. Basically any Karling king is easy mode at 867 (which is why people who play anything else in Western Europe end up wanting to obsessively murder the entire family).

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
What is the most powerful culture/religion for a new character? Welsh/Norse seems very good because of good retinues, Tanist succession and a good mix of available CBS. I've heard that Tengri can wage unlimited kingdom sized invasions, at will? Is this true? Does it require a certain culture?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Dorkopotamis posted:

What is the most powerful culture/religion for a new character? Welsh/Norse seems very good because of good retinues, Tanist succession and a good mix of available CBS. I've heard that Tengri can wage unlimited kingdom sized invasions, at will? Is this true? Does it require a certain culture?

If you're doing ruler creator, take the Aztec or Mongol cultures, this gives you unlimited access to the tribal invasion CB unless you're also Christian.
Specifically, one of the conditions is horde culture (Aztec or Mongol) and not christian.
So you can be a Jain Mongol and benefit from both the Tribal Invasion and the vassal opinion bonus, so you have a rapidly expanding, stable realm.
The only down-side is that your succession is locked to Agnatic, so you won't ever have a woman on the throne.

Alternatively you can be any pagan religion, not just Tengri, and Magyar or Altaic culture group for the Tribal Invasion.
The reason why people think the tribal invasion is part of being Tengri is that you're generally both at once, but Norse still get access to the tribal invasion. One of the record breaking world conquest runs was a Cuman Norseman, on the grounds that it's faster to move troops around the steppe with boats.

If it's picking from the map, either take the Magyars, since you get access to a lot of event troops in the 867 start, or one of the starts in Tartaria, so you have horse archers.
If you have any preferred starts, you could invade your way there until you can change culture, but early access to the tribal invasion is the best way to go.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Antti posted:

As a brand new owner of RoI, what's a fun mid-size power I should play as in the Middle East or India for my first game?

I recommend the south Indian Tamil states earlier, but I can also recommend the Punjab states.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Question for Westeros-mod players: Is it possible to elevate your standing from Ser/Landed Knight to Lordling status?

Also was there a distinction between the class of nobility that knights belonged to vs the rest of the nobility (Baron/Count/Duke) as it's portrayed in ASOIAF? E.g., a landed knight wealthier and holding more titles than a technical baron or count was still lower on the social hierarchy. Or did owning a landed title such as the barony of such-and-such automatically make you a Baron?

theDOWmustflow fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 5, 2014

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Edison was a dick posted:

If you have any preferred starts, you could invade your way there until you can change culture, but early access to the tribal invasion is the best way to go.

I'm going to shill for Haesteinn - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hastein - again. This works with RoI, and it's a fun start:

1. Load your event army up on the boats.
2. Conquer Sardinia (for the diplomatic range).
3. Swear fealty to the Khazars.
4. Culture change to liege's Khazar culture, giving you the tribal invasion CB.
5. Form independence faction and immediately break loose (the Khazars have no boats to get to you even if they DoW).
6. Go nuts with the tribal invasion CB.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
How do I get a neighbouring king to release his sister which I'm bethrothed to? I noticed she was in jail when the "Bethrothed can now marry" message popped up. It's now been 8 years since that, and it doesn't look like he's planning on letting her out any time soon.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Pretty basic question, but is it possible to fight a war over two de jure claims at the same time? Someone is holding two counties of a country of which i'm the king of allready, but it seems I have to declare war for the first county, win the war, sign a peace treaty, then declare war over the second county (and take the prestige hit from breaking the treaty).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

kanonvandekempen posted:

Pretty basic question, but is it possible to fight a war over two de jure claims at the same time? Someone is holding two counties of a country of which i'm the king of allready, but it seems I have to declare war for the first county, win the war, sign a peace treaty, then declare war over the second county (and take the prestige hit from breaking the treaty).

No, that's not possible.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

kanonvandekempen posted:

Pretty basic question, but is it possible to fight a war over two de jure claims at the same time? Someone is holding two counties of a country of which i'm the king of allready, but it seems I have to declare war for the first county, win the war, sign a peace treaty, then declare war over the second county (and take the prestige hit from breaking the treaty spend the money to stab the guy I have a truce with).

Fixed that for you.

(no, de jure claims are always one at a time, but truces are between characters, not countries, so a convenient death will always get you out of a truce cooldown)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The only time you can press multiple claims against the same person is if they're strong claims of your own (ie. usually fabricated county claims) rather than de-jure claims or claims of courtiers/vassals.

• Locked thread