Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

InitialDave posted:

That's still a noble pursuit, and I don't think anyone into cars has a problem with people buying what they can afford and then making it go like stink. That is not what idiots with basic hatchbacks usually do. It's all about the appearance of performance without having any.

Make your car go fast? This is fine.
Make your car look good? This is fine.
Make your car look fast? Yeah, you're a knobhead.
I have had this discussion with my brothers before and the problem is that "look good" is subjective. People think that race cars look cool, they like the big spoiler on the back, and therefore they like the look of the same thing on their Civic. They are not empirically wrong.

I personally draw the line at stuff that either:
a) makes you look like an idiot (e.g. "No Fat Chicks")
b) compromises safety or performance to an obvious degree for no benefit (e.g. massive camber, bro trucks, super low ride height)

That doesn't mean that we can't mock people who do stuff that makes their car look "fast" even if they do it because they think it looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SaNChEzZ posted:

Here's the opposite:

Luxury car parked 'hard', my beater don't care if you ding it's doors. Have fun getting back in you fuckwit.

This is my favorite part of having a company car. Sure, slam your door into mine...I have nothing invested in it and as long as I don't turn it in rusting the fleet management company writes it off as general wear & tear.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Great Beer posted:

In some places 'further away' means up to a quarter of a mile away. My old apartment was like this. And if you're time limited that means you aren't getting your errands done because some rear end in a top hat thought his car was too important for one spot.

Valid point. I'm just used to seeing people spend 5-10 minutes waiting for a close spot when they could park a little farther out and walk their fat rear end a little. My mom is notorious for trying to wedge her giant rear end fullsize Dodge Ram into the tightest spot she can find vs just parking farther and walking.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I concur, and I was a little irritated that someone would do something so silly to a nice, rare car (he did come across as a bit of a tit in general). He could sell his iS to someone who would like it for what it is, buy an equivalent condition standard model and tune it how he wanted, and still come out ahead financially.

On one hand, it's his car, and a well-done M20 turbo is by no means a bad thing, on the other hand, he's still wrong.

The dumb part IMO is going through all the effort to an engine swap and then you're swapping an M20 instead of an M50.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

The dumb part IMO is going through all the effort to an engine swap and then you're swapping an M20 instead of an M50.

This is the correct answer. I don't know why anyone fucks around with the M20 anymore when the better motors cost the same.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

InitialDave posted:

That's still a noble pursuit, and I don't think anyone into cars has a problem with people buying what they can afford and then making it go like stink. That is not what idiots with basic hatchbacks usually do. It's all about the appearance of performance without having any.

Make your car go fast? This is fine.
Make your car look good? This is fine.
Make your car look fast? Yeah, you're a knobhead.

Definitely relevant seeing as you mentioned what is effectively the genesis of hot rodding: Taking a pile of crap and spending all your money making it fast (or, at least, work) is cool. Taking a perfectly ok car and ratting it out to give the appearance of having done the former? Straight to the knobhead corner.

That's the thing, though, back in the day a majority of the hot rods were detestable pieces of poo poo. The style of car has changed, but not much else.

Hell, half this forum loves rat rods, and those are basically a scene consisting of cars emulating the style of old pieces of poo poo, just with more rust and Pabst Blue Ribbon cans.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

VikingSkull posted:

That's the thing, though, back in the day a majority of the hot rods were detestable pieces of poo poo. The style of car has changed, but not much else.

Hell, half this forum loves rat rods, and those are basically a scene consisting of cars emulating the style of old pieces of poo poo, just with more rust and Pabst Blue Ribbon cans.

What the gently caress is it with rat rodders and PBR anyway? Hung out with some of the people from a local car club that loves them some rat rods, and all the loving drink is PBR. That poo poo is worse than Natty Ice.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You leave PBR out of this!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Uthor posted:

You leave PBR out of this!

Most of us do our best to leave it out of everything.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

veedubfreak posted:

What the gently caress is it with rat rodders and PBR anyway? Hung out with some of the people from a local car club that loves them some rat rods, and all the loving drink is PBR. That poo poo is worse than Natty Ice.

Its cheap beer? Who cares what they drink?

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Since I'm from Wisconsin I used to drink PBR before it was cool.

Oh god..... Does that make me a hipster?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

This would be really cool for first 5 minutes before it gets dirty/dusty. Then have fun taking off the wheels every time you want to clear the back face.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

G-Mach posted:

Hey Wisco buddy, no were fine. Do portland bars sell them for 2.00 bucks a tall boy? Didnt think so.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Bajaha posted:

This would be really cool for first 5 minutes before it gets dirty/dusty. Then have fun taking off the wheels every time you want to clear the back face.

I wanna see this used on an actual track and then just watch it warp from the heat of the rotors.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

G-Mach posted:

I'm the completely stock brakes.

I mean, at least paint the loving calipers or something.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MetaJew posted:

I wanna see this used on an actual track and then just watch it warp from the heat of the rotors.

Wouldn't they get hotter even faster as the hot air lacks places to go?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Wouldn't they get hotter even faster as the hot air lacks places to go?

Hopefully they're just for display or something because it seems like a bad idea all around. You can see stress marks where its bolted to the hub, I guess it's some kind of plexiglass and I'd worry about it being able to take the load of the car in a hard corner.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's probably polycarbonate, which is going to make things hilarious when it tries to corner.

Sure looks cool as hell though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I didn't see the poly at first, and thought it was a weird wheel that was mounted to the back of the brake disc or something. Like having inboard brakes, but instead inboard wheels.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Geirskogul posted:

I didn't see the poly at first, and thought it was a weird wheel that was mounted to the back of the brake disc or something. Like having inboard brakes, but instead inboard wheels.

Shh don't tell Audi or soon people will be pulling axles for tire rotations.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

I don't know; it's irritating when a car is "parked hard" but then I remember that sometimes you can be forced to be parked at a hosed up angle if SOMEONE ELSE was previously parked like an rear end in a top hat next to you.

Then again, my Explorer has a split bench so it's not hard to climb over from the passenger side or the back.

Forever this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv_bEwfZM-M

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
West Coast Customs did that clear wheel bullshit on their Tron Audi.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

God that is awful. I hate that massive camber style with a passion. Also his rear bumper is already hosed up, now he will finish off the rest of the car.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Saw a Geo Prism on stretched and cambered wheels. The body looked like a 20 year old car - dents and faded paint. At first I thought it was a joke, but then I saw Florida plates and realized he was serious.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Passed a lovely mid 90s Chevy truck with like 14x14 wheels, of which about 80% of the tire was outside the wheelwell. I loving hate those cocksuckers.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Soarer posted:

God that is awful. I hate that massive camber style with a passion. Also his rear bumper is already hosed up, now he will finish off the rest of the car.

Even worse is that these dudes are going to ruin a whole generation of these cars with this stupid poo poo. I watched someone break a bunch of poo poo on his car the other night trying to drag it over a smallish speedbump.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Those idiots always want to buy my Scirocco. gently caress that, there needs to be at least one unruined one 20 years from now.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

FogHelmut posted:

Saw a Geo Prism on stretched and cambered wheels. The body looked like a 20 year old car - dents and faded paint. At first I thought it was a joke, but then I saw Florida plates and realized he was serious.

There was a senior my freshman year of highschool who got a massive (millions) life insurance payout from his parents' deaths when he turned 18 who had a Geo Tracker with gold-plated lowrider wheels, hydraulics and a glittery custom paintjob. It was pretty horrible when new, I can't imagine how big of a joke a pimped out shitbox 20 year old Prism is...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Geoj posted:

There was a senior my freshman year of highschool who got a massive (millions) life insurance payout from his parents' deaths when he turned 18 who had a Geo Tracker with gold-plated lowrider wheels, hydraulics and a glittery custom paintjob.

The importance of having a positive parental influence in your life

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Seems every g35 coupe I see any more is slammed with ridiculously wide wheels and broken body panels. It's a shame really :( Also that rear wing looks horrible, even though it's factory.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Hate to bring back PBR-chat, but:

Preoptopus posted:

Hey Wisco buddy, no were fine. Do portland bars sell them for 2.00 bucks a tall boy? Didnt think so.

My local bar has 100oz towers of PBR for $8. $5 on Sundays.

:smug:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Urge to strangle rising...

Not sure if it's in order from worst to best, kind of hard to tell

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Now let's get a picture from the other angle that shows they're all parked there because the car in front of them is high centered on a speedbump.

edit: here's the wrong way to transport a BMW X6

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Powershift posted:

Now let's get a picture from the other angle that shows they're all parked there because the car in front of them is high centered on a speedbump.

edit: here's the wrong way to transport a BMW X6

I imagine in a month it will (at least outwardly) look like nothing ever happened to it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MrChips posted:

I imagine in a month it will (at least outwardly) look like nothing ever happened to it.

It's not the detachable bits I'd worry about, it's whatever rickety frame they're intending to bolt it all to in some kind of epic repair effort.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrChips posted:

The pictures are from the hungarian police. The guy was literally smuggling the entire car into eastern europe by completely disassembling it and hauling it in a van. They don't know if he already got his first load in, or if there's another half of it somewhere else.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

The pictures are from the hungarian police. The guy was literally smuggling the entire car into eastern europe by completely disassembling it and hauling it in a van. They don't know if he already got his first load in, or if there's another half of it somewhere else.

I don't understand how that is the best solution to smuggle a car. There's got to be some documentation loophole or hell, paying off a border guard, to get a complete car in.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Assuming this is some kind of stolen car thing, or a way to avoid paying something?

Otherwise just drive the drat thing in... :goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
On of the tires has a big ol slice right down it! Might be an artifact of the dirt / picture but it also kinda looks like the tires were overinflated.
:goonsay: