Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Remember how I said my brother trolls eBay? He found this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-40k-Warlord-Class-Titan-ONE-OF-A-KIND-/201102507092?hash=item2ed2a4bc54

Dammit, seeing the photos full size reveals how he used low quality foam yet didn't bother to mud/spackle/texturespray over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
^that is insane.
I can't imagine making something like that then just selling it on eBay. Of course I can't imagine keeping it around either.

How many dark lance shots would it take to kill an Imperial Knight? At, say, BS4? I would do the math myself but I don't know the Knights stats.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Sharzak posted:

How many dark lance shots would it take to kill an Imperial Knight? At, say, BS4? I would do the math myself but I don't know the Knights stats.

13/12/12 HP6 with a 4+ cover save shield they can choose to direct at one side at the start of the enemy shooting phase. Your math changes a bit based on how mobile you can be and Dark Eldar can be pretty mobile. I'd probably figure one unit gets shielded and the rest get no cover, but you can play with that how you like.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
6HP too for glancing to death.

e: dur i read gud.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 5, 2014

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
So two ravagers dumping 3 shots each means 4 shots are going to hit, at least one is gonna be cover saved, is there anything weird with the vehicle damage table on them? It sounds like I have a not terrible chance of killing one per turn if you factor in haywire wyches and lone Raider darklance shots but depending on how many points they are that may not be enough.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sharzak posted:

So two ravagers dumping 3 shots each means 4 shots are going to hit, at least one is gonna be cover saved, is there anything weird with the vehicle damage table on them? It sounds like I have a not terrible chance of killing one per turn if you factor in haywire wyches and lone Raider darklance shots but depending on how many points they are that may not be enough.

They're super heavies so damage table is 1-5=1HP, 6=d3HP.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Sharzak posted:

Knights are good, look awesome, and are far more fair than a lot of the internet gives them credit. They're easy enough to grind down, especially with decent anti-tank. Hell, even my lovely Tyranid guns knocked one down by half HP in a turn. A semi-major change to damage from 6th to 7th means that the Super Heavy only suffers a d3HP on an Explodes! result, which requires a 7 now instead of a 6, so if you don't have AP1-2 weapons you're only ever going to glance it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Finally got the Lasgun bitz needed for my Woodland Rangers from a EU bitz store and they only cost me 6eu including shipping. :woop:
And it even came with a piece of candy. :3:

Also, after hearing about the new campaign system in the latest HH book earlier this week on the IC's I suddenly wanted to play a campaign with it but trying to use IG vs Cultists or something like that instead of 30k marines.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 5, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
How do people feel about Cassian Dracos in 30k? His Warlord trait is really good but you lose so much making him your HQ.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cooked Auto posted:

Also, after hearing about the new campaign system in the latest HH book earlier this week on the IC's I suddenly wanted to play a campaign with it but trying to use IG vs Cultists or something like that instead of 30k marines.
That sounds like some sort of Gaunt's Ghosts/WW2 in space sort of battles, which can be a ton of fun. I had a really fun game back in 5th with my IG vs. my buddy's IG and it was just artillery pounding each others' lines while we were both holed up in cover, until a late game "over the top" moment where the troops had to get into the open to get objectives. It was brutal, grueling, and really fun.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
My daughter stole some of my books to make drawing the other day. In other news Space Marines have tiny heads.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

That sounds like some sort of Gaunt's Ghosts/WW2 in space sort of battles, which can be a ton of fun. I had a really fun game back in 5th with my IG vs. my buddy's IG and it was just artillery pounding each others' lines while we were both holed up in cover, until a late game "over the top" moment where the troops had to get into the open to get objectives. It was brutal, grueling, and really fun.

That sounds pretty cool and would be a good chance of me to use the infantry I've got instead of just realizing the list I'm forced to play with due to lack of models is kinda crap and detracts all the fun from playing for me.
But yeah, using that campaign system for IG would've been kinda cool when you keep going with the "poo poo is hosed, now make the heretics pay for it" theme that the original one is going with but just scale down the powerlevel or rebalance it a smidgen.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

CyberLord XP posted:

My daughter stole some of my books to make drawing the other day. In other news Space Marines have tiny heads.

Tiny heads? Her sense of scale is slightly better than Citadel's. Giant body, only slightly enlarged head, both covered in black carapace, cabling, electronics, and thick armor.

Space Marine models would look amazing and cinematic intimidating if they didn't have twig arms and twig legs.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

CyberLord XP posted:

Not enough skulls, see me after class.

That's actually really awesome. As a semi-new dad one of the things I'm sadly really excited about it potentially getting my kid(s) into the game when they're old enough. As fantastic as the fluff is the basic system is a great way to learn and use measurements, statistics, and critical thinking.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

PierreTheMime posted:

Not enough skulls, see me after class.

That's actually really awesome. As a semi-new dad one of the things I'm sadly really excited about it potentially getting my kid(s) into the game when they're old enough. As fantastic as the fluff is the basic system is a great way to learn and use measurements, statistics, and critical thinking.

And it's a great way to help expose them to stinky neck beards who throw tantrums while making racist rape jokes. They have to learn sooner or later.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

PierreTheMime posted:

Knights are good, look awesome, and are far more fair than a lot of the internet gives them credit. They're easy enough to grind down, especially with decent anti-tank. Hell, even my lovely Tyranid guns knocked one down by half HP in a turn. A semi-major change to damage from 6th to 7th means that the Super Heavy only suffers a d3HP on an Explodes! result, which requires a 7 now instead of a 6, so if you don't have AP1-2 weapons you're only ever going to glance it.

Just curious what your favorite Nids A-T is? Units, weapons, tactics? I'm still learning how to use my bugs so anything will help.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

krushgroove posted:

Just curious what your favorite Nids A-T is? Units, weapons, tactics? I'm still learning how to use my bugs so anything will help.

As sad as it is, the Heavy Venom Cannon is one of the best options. Most options for it are twin-linked, so it's a pretty reliable gun with decent strength. You can't explode vehicles with it anymore (at least it doesn't have -1 to the table like it used to :( ) but it's good for glances/shakes/etc. Otherwise Monstrous Creatures have a decent shot at penetrating armor with basic close combat attacks, being able to reroll armor penetration checks thanks to Smash. Warp Blast is also solid but far from reliable. I no longer use Hive Guard due to their strong nerf in the most recent codex but have replaced them with an Exocrine for one of the Nids' only AP2 guns. It's a solid light anti-tank gun and mulches MEq infantry on a relatively points-cheap MC platform.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

krushgroove posted:

Depends on what you're shooting at. Flyrants with devourers put out a lot of strength 6 shots that can deal with most armor 10 and 11. Nothing will explode, but you have weight of fire on your side. Armor 12 you have Exocrines and Warp Lances. Against armor 13 or 14 you have literally only Warp Lances. It's the only shooting in the codex that can get an exploded result against armor 13 and 14.

The Rupture cannon can pierce any armor, but being only AP4, it can't get an exploded result. It would take, on average, 8 rounds of shooting for a rupture cannon to kill a Land Raider.

You can always assault with your MCs, but against rear armor 13 or 14 you must smash, and only get one attack. Against armor 10 any MC can just take normal attacks and do okay. Strength 6 MCs will do alright against rear armor 11 and 12, especially if they have adrenal glands. The nerf to smash really took away the best anti-vehicle that Tyranids had.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

krushgroove posted:

I'm having decent luck with a pair of Exocrines. 12 S7 shots is going to get a few glances on anything AV13 or under.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I vaguely remember chaos marines on horseback from the Rogue Trader days. Does anyone else remember them or am I nuts?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Beerdeer posted:

I vaguely remember chaos marines on horseback from the Rogue Trader days. Does anyone else remember them or am I nuts?

I googled "chaos marines on horseback".

First result.

http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2111chaosrenhorse-02.htm

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Almost finished with my Daemon Prince of Nurgle. 2+ cover while Gliding around, casting spells and lobbing Greater Reward attacks sounds pretty fun.

Did some minor changes on the goofy swords they include to make a Balesword, adding some pitting and remove the awkward angles:

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cooked Auto posted:

This would work very easily. Just requires some story around it :)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Terrible. Why would you ride a typical horse when you could be riding a throbbing cock with cat legs?

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cataphract posted:

On the topic of orks. I just painted my 50th Ork Boy! My bad moons army now looks like this

Worst/best thing is that that army is a mere 1300 odd points so there's still a bit of a way to go.

Nevertheless, I am quite proud of having painted this much. I've owned these models for years (some are from 3rd edition) and have always found the prospect of painting them very intimidating; there's just so many. But now, with a decent sized painted army and a new codex around the corner I am so excited to WAAAGH!

Very excited for you. My buddy Aaron will NEVER get his orks painted. He priced out having someone do them but his wife nearly killed him when he said he wanted to go that route. (About $1000)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Than for the tips guys, great info! I'm definitely getting a couple of Exocrines at some point, for now proxying them with Chaos Forgefiends :)

Beerdeer posted:

Juggernauts?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

PierreTheMime that prince is rad as gently caress.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Finally finished my Meka Dread. It is not the CC beast I expected, but it does super-hate vehicles, so that's nice.

:orks101:

Now I need to decide which project to do next: a Kill Bursta or a Stompa. :shepface:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Direwolf posted:

I googled "chaos marines on horseback".

First result.

http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2111chaosrenhorse-02.htm

As mullah of every thread I declare a fatwa against referring to something terrific without also posting an image link to a 3rd party host. You did post a link to the models so Zardoz is with you, though.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Sadly, the STC for horses was forever lost long ago. :horse:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Terrible. Why would you ride a typical horse when you could be riding a throbbing cock with cat legs?
I can't decide if you're referring to a Steed of Slaanesh or a terrible STD.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ghost Hand posted:

This would work very easily. Just requires some story around it :)

Now I'd just have to buy the book and I can't really justify myself doing it since the campaign system is the only thing I really care about and nothing else.
At least until they get around to the Imperial Army I guess.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

PierreTheMime posted:

Sadly, the STC for horses was forever lost long ago. :horse:

:phoneb: Hello? Yes, I'd like to report heresy. Tallarn Rough Riders.

:phone: Demon of Chaos, Exterminatus is on the way. May the Emperor have mercy on your mortal (temporary) soul.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Post 9-11 User posted:

:phoneb: Hello? Yes, I'd like to report heresy. Tallarn Rough Riders.

:phone: Demon of Chaos, Exterminatus is on the way. May the Emperor have mercy on your mortal (temporary) soul.

Ah, yes, the infamous Horse Heresy. :rimshot:

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 5, 2014

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Tallarn Rough Riders don't use horses anymore:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Tallarn_Desert_Raiders/TALLARN-MUKAALI-ROUGH-RIDER-1.html

There used to be this crappy little store outside Detroit in Harper Woods that had TONS of the old RT stuff. And those mounted Chaos Marines came in big packs of like 10 in hard plastic.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Just checked the GW site and couldn't find them. RIP Tallarn Rough Riders :(

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

krushgroove posted:

Than for the tips guys, great info! I'm definitely getting a couple of Exocrines at some point, for now proxying them with Chaos Forgefiends :)

Juggernauts?

Don't forget about Carnifexes. My best A-T comes from a full unit of 2x TL-BL Dev Carnifexes. 36 TL BS3 S6 shots will just shred anything AV12 or under with ease. Then, off the charge, you have 3D3 S9 AP- auto-hits from HoW hitting the front armor and 12 S9 AP2 hits on the back armor which will do some serious damage against most "normal" AV13/AV14 vehicles. Land Raiders and Monoliths will be toughest to crack seeing as you're relying purely on 5s/6s but against Leman Russes/Battlewagons/Predators/etc you can get a few glances or maybe even a Pen or two off the HoW and then finish the vehicle off with their regular attacks. I think I might try switching one pair of TL-BL Devs for Crushing Claws next time I play Tyranids. Smash isn't necessary at all if you're S10 AP2 Armorbane. The biggest issue is they are incredibly slow so you might have to spend a turn or two moving and running before you start doing damage.

It's not optimal but there's not that many choices for Tyranid A-T. Carnifexes are officially :sicknasty: though so they are pretty much auto-include in all my lists.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 5, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The tray selector on KR's site is really lovely but holy gently caress is it gonna cost an arm and a leg to give my Ultramarines a nice foam home.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

SRM posted:

The tray selector on KR's site is really lovely but holy gently caress is it gonna cost an arm and a leg to give my Ultramarines a nice foam home.

Only the finest foam will serve for the Emperor's finest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Sharzak posted:

Dark Eldar have the maneuverability to get into multiple facings, so these numbers may be slightly on the pessimistic side, but my general assumption against Knights is that half of your shots will have to punch through their Ion Shield (a 4++.) With that in mind, a Ravager will take three shots, hit with two of them, and get an average one 4+ or better to strip off a Hull Point. (You will occasionally get Explodes! results thanks to AP2, which complicate things a little bit, but the actual added damage is quite low.) So you're doing roughly one HP per three shots plus Explode bonus, or a total of ~.4 HP per shot. Ignoring the Ion Shield that would mean needing fifteen Dark Lance shots no average, or around twenty shots with the prementioned pessimistic view of its effects.

In short, you need a LOT of Lances to do anything. AV12 is rough for Dark Eldar.

krushgroove posted:

For a "competitive" Tyranid list the answer is basically Crone Vector Strikes and twin-linked Devourers. Don't underestimate the strength of gobs and gobs of S6 shooting, as it can drag virtually anything down eventually. Less hard-edged players can do pretty well with Exocrines (six S7 shots), Hive Guard (S8 Ignore Cover), and Zoanthropes (S10 Lance) in a lot of cases. Smash Attack, although significantly weakened, is still a pretty decent option- you might only strip one HP off and do a bit of damage, but that's still "free" damage on a tank. Carnifexes are exceptionally good at killing tanks in melee, as they are natively S9 and get multiple Hammer of Wrath hits; Tervigons or other critters with Crushing Claws are also pretty fair, since 2d6 on penetration rolls is a lot more useful now.

• Locked thread