Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
2.5 is pretty young to expect her to pay attention all the time especially if she has a friend she knows from outside the deal. I wouldn't worry about it too much. What are the coaches saying about it? Is it bothering them that she isn't staying on task?

My kid wasn't very good at that kind of stuff until like 4. She still tends to get distracted sometimes, except at swimming lessons she loving loves those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

FishBulb posted:

2.5 is pretty young to expect her to pay attention all the time especially if she has a friend she knows from outside the deal. I wouldn't worry about it too much. What are the coaches saying about it? Is it bothering them that she isn't staying on task?

My kid wasn't very good at that kind of stuff until like 4. She still tends to get distracted sometimes, except at swimming lessons she loving loves those.

No it's not bothering anyone and I don't care too much. She's not disrupting instruction or anything. She just wants to do her own thing. And I have no problem with that. I was just curious if there were any tips to help get toddlers to pay attention to things like that.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

me your dad posted:

No it's not bothering anyone and I don't care too much. She's not disrupting instruction or anything. She just wants to do her own thing. And I have no problem with that. I was just curious if there were any tips to help get toddlers to pay attention to things like that.

You can try positive rewards; my son knows he gets to go for ice team after swimming lessons if he listens well.

That said he's older (4.5), I wouldn't expect a 2.5 year old to pay attention at all. Just let her do whatever and the coaches will reel her in if they need her to focus. Fun is way more important at that age so they stick to it later when it becomes more about hard work.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Our daughter was the same age last summer and did toddler soccer. The biggest thing was sharing the balls with the other kids, listening when the coach asked them to pick up the cones/balls, and running and having a good time.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

me your dad posted:

My daughter is 2.5 years old and we signed her up for soccer. She's in it with her friend and their first session was Saturday. My daughter and her friend seemed to be the only kids not into it at all. The other kids really took to it and followed instructions very well (one part had them touching their noses to the ball). My girl was happier to run around the field and kick the ball (which, to be fair, is soccer).

But I'd like to encourage her to follow the coach's instructions. At the same time I don't want to make it unpleasant for her or punish her.

Any advice to keep her on point, or should I just not worry about it at her age?

We took our 2.5 year old to a soccer thing at the park too, and he enjoyed running around and rolling in the mud more than anything. He didn't like listening to directions, standing still, or kicking the ball, so it was kind of difficult to play along with the other kids.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
18 months, clear snot running out her nose like its a faucet. Fever of 99.8. Her mood is fine other than being a little cranky from not sleeping well last night due to runny nose.

We should just monitor her and try to suction her nose (through her strong protests) right? No sense in going to the doctor for a cold?

Any other tips for making her comfortable?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

frenchnewwave posted:

18 months, clear snot running out her nose like its a faucet. Fever of 99.8. Her mood is fine other than being a little cranky from not sleeping well last night due to runny nose.

We should just monitor her and try to suction her nose (through her strong protests) right? No sense in going to the doctor for a cold?

Anything under 100.4 in a child that age is not even technically a fever (assuming that is a rectal temp).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Could be an ear infection though

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

frenchnewwave posted:

The rule we use is baby/toddler Tylenol at 99, schedule a doctor's appointment at 101, and go to emerg if it's 102 or higher for more than an hour. I think we set those limits based on the guidelines for paediatric fevers but don't recall exactly.

You should also make sure she's drinking extra fluids.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

When my son was around that age, and had a terrible bad, mucus everywhere cold, a nurse friend of my mom told me to take unsweetened ice tea, dilute it with a bit of water, and have him drink some. The resulting explosion of grossness from his nose was unpleasant, but it pretty much cleared out all of it.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Kalenn Istarion posted:

The rule we use is baby/toddler Tylenol at 99, schedule a doctor's appointment at 101, and go to emerg if it's 102 or higher for more than an hour. I think we set those limits based on the guidelines for paediatric fevers but don't recall exactly.

You should also make sure she's drinking extra fluids.

Woah. Do you end up at the ER a lot? I guess that just goes to show how vastly different advice can be. For us, that's way overkill. 99-100 is only low grade/non-existent fever with no reason at all to medicate. I never even bothered to medicate unless it was over 102, or they were acting like they felt really bad. My ped and the local children's hospital nurses line said that little ones are different than adults, and can cook up to 104, and as long as they were able to hydrate, it wasn't cause for concern. Only bother with the ER for high fever PLUS lethargy, vomiting/diarrhea, rash, etc... and unable to hydrate. When Tim was about 18 months, he had some virus that kept him cooking at 104, with it only dipping for an hour or two after meds, for days. Tepid baths, meds, and hanging out in only a onsie, and he was good as new in 4-5 days. I called the nurses a few times, and each time was the same: So long as he's wetting diapers frequently, and doesn't have anything else going on besides some mucous, keep him comfortable and ride it out.

As for general mucous and cold unhappiness, I really like the Pediatric Vicks Vapopads by the kids beds at night. They smell like lavender and rosemary, and are little pads that fit a plug-in Vicks makes. They clear my nose up at night even. I also like the baby Vicks (or generic equivalent) for all the time. I use it; I like it much better than standard adult Vicks.

Edit: Not judging, it's all fine; I was just struck at how different/aggressive that approach was than what I'd learned.

AlistairCookie fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 3, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

AlistairCookie posted:

Woah. Do you end up at the ER a lot? I guess that just goes to show how vastly different advice can be. For us, that's way overkill. 99-100 is only low grade/non-existent fever with no reason at all to medicate. I never even bothered to medicate unless it was over 102, or they were acting like they felt really bad. My ped and the local children's hospital nurses line said that little ones are different than adults, and can cook up to 104, and as long as they were able to hydrate, it wasn't cause for concern. Only bother with the ER for high fever PLUS lethargy, vomiting/diarrhea, rash, etc... and unable to hydrate. When Tim was about 18 months, he had some virus that kept him cooking at 104, with it only dipping for an hour or two after meds, for days. Tepid baths, meds, and hanging out in only a onsie, and he was good as new in 4-5 days. I called the nurses a few times, and each time was the same: So long as he's wetting diapers frequently, and doesn't have anything else going on besides some mucous, keep him comfortable and ride it out.

As for general mucous and cold unhappiness, I really like the Pediatric Vicks Vapopads by the kids beds at night. They smell like lavender and rosemary, and are little pads that fit a plug-in Vicks makes. They clear my nose up at night even. I also like the baby Vicks (or generic equivalent) for all the time. I use it; I like it much better than standard adult Vicks.

My wife usually handles this stuff so I may have had the numbers wrong. He's never had one over about 101, although that one stuck for over a day with Tylenol so we took him in to the doc. Was a minor ear thing that the doc told us to observe rather than use antibiotics. It broke on its own.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Those vapopads sound awesome. Do they make an adult version too?

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

greatn posted:

Those vapopads sound awesome. Do they make an adult version too?

They do!

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Kalenn Istarion posted:

My wife usually handles this stuff so I may have had the numbers wrong. He's never had one over about 101, although that one stuck for over a day with Tylenol so we took him in to the doc. Was a minor ear thing that the doc told us to observe rather than use antibiotics. It broke on its own.

I'm curious, what method are you using to measure temperature? Rectal?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

flowinprose posted:

I'm curious, what method are you using to measure temperature? Rectal?

Tympanic with a rough mental adjustment of about 1 degree from what it reads on the thermometer.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Urgh kids have exploded in chicken pox this morning, any suggestions to stop a 4yr old and 1yr old scratching themselves silly?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

fluppet posted:

Urgh kids have exploded in chicken pox this morning, any suggestions to stop a 4yr old and 1yr old scratching themselves silly?

Mitts / socks on the 1 year old. Our youngest guy has had dry skin since he was born - we just use socks as they stay on better than the infant scratch mitts.

Tape on the 4 year old. Serious answer: Calamine lotion for the itching, books and/for games for the active hands

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Also Piriton liquid (antihistimine), which makes them sleepier so they don't have a bad night scratching away at it as well.

I suspect that the younger they are when they get it, the less bad it is. My 3 year old it pretty mild (compared to when I had it at 9), our 1 year old had maybe 4 spots in total, I don't think he even noticed anything.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Oatmeal baths. My two brothers and I all caught chicken pox at pretty much the same time, and oatmeal baths and calamine lotion worked wonders at keeping us and our mom from going over the deep end.

The Grumpy Snail
Feb 15, 2012
Hello, do any breastfeeding parents have experience traveling without the baby? My husband and I are trying to figure out how to attend a wedding 10 hours away. Do I just make sure we have lots of milk storage bags and ice?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

The Grumpy Snail posted:

Hello, do any breastfeeding parents have experience traveling without the baby? My husband and I are trying to figure out how to attend a wedding 10 hours away. Do I just make sure we have lots of milk storage bags and ice?

Basically, take a cooler, a lot of ice/icepacks, the pump and bags. It probably won't be a ton of fun but you do what you have to. See if her pump runs of batteries/car adapter, or get one of those car adapter AC plug things. Your traveling 10 hours so if she's like my wife you probably don't want to have to pump in a rest stop/restaurant bathroom. I don't know if this is to weird but maybe seriously look into dry ice? It will stay frozen longer.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

The Grumpy Snail posted:

My kid never took a bottle, so I have no personal experience with this, but is there any reason why you can't just pump and dump to keep up supply, and not have to bring all the milk back home with you? Or am I completely misunderstanding the question?

(Speaking of traveling without baby - my husband and the baby have left for their trip. I cried when they left because evolution and biology told my body that without me she'd either starve to death or be eaten by sabre toothed tigers, but now I'm delightfully drunk with freedom and have no idea what to do with myself all day. Hopefully baby will not be irretrievably broken.)

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Does anyone here have any experience with leapfrog learning tablets and how durable they are/are not? My daughter will be turning two in August and LOVES my iPhone and my kindle fire. I have quite a few kids apps and she loves my flash card apps and has a pretty good grasp on how both of them work, but I can't just hand either device to her because she's easily distracted and will sometimes toss what she's using aside because suddenly the cat is more interesting than what she was doing. She's not two yet, so that's expected, but it's less than ideal when it comes to randomly dropping my poor phone or kindle on the hardwood floor and breaking them.

I'm not super concerned with the apps on a leapfrog being too old for her--she's pretty sharp and knows about 50 animals, can count to ten and is now learning letters, so anything educational is great. My biggest concern is blowing almost a hundred bucks on something that will be broken right away. Thoughts?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Personally I skipped the leapfrogs and kids tablets and just went straight to an iPad in a heavy duty case. We have a ton of iOS devices and it just made sense. I couldn't stomach the 20 dollar leapfrog games either. I've bought some fantastic 7 dollar apps for iOS.

I would skip the leapfrog and get her a kindle or iPad in a heavy duty kid friendly case, but to directly answer your question, I haven't heard of any of my peers with leapfrog tablets having them break, so they seem pretty sturdy.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I use to snerk at people that use a harness and leash on their kids, but I've been tempted to get one for my 18 month old for longer outdoor outings. Does anyone use one? Do they still have the stigma of "bad parenting" with them?

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Nexus 7 (or other cheap android pad, but the nexus has a tough 1-piece metal case) and a chunky silicone case (Bobj is the brand is used) - it's had a good 2 years of abuse & still going strong. Helps that the latest android let's you have multiple users accounts, so I have a pattern locked account for me to use, and she has a simplified home screen with just the apps for her. The only thing that goes wrong is occasional clicks on the ghastly in-game purchase things, but the payment pin stops her actually doing anything.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

raaaan posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with leapfrog learning tablets and how durable they are/are not? My daughter will be turning two in August and LOVES my iPhone and my kindle fire. I have quite a few kids apps and she loves my flash card apps and has a pretty good grasp on how both of them work, but I can't just hand either device to her because she's easily distracted and will sometimes toss what she's using aside because suddenly the cat is more interesting than what she was doing. She's not two yet, so that's expected, but it's less than ideal when it comes to randomly dropping my poor phone or kindle on the hardwood floor and breaking them.

I'm not super concerned with the apps on a leapfrog being too old for her--she's pretty sharp and knows about 50 animals, can count to ten and is now learning letters, so anything educational is great. My biggest concern is blowing almost a hundred bucks on something that will be broken right away. Thoughts?

My in laws bought my kid at Leapster dealie, (not tablet, the handheld one) when she was 3, it recently broke, shes 5 now. She wasn't really playing it much any more either so it probably got a year and a half of use.

Personally, I wouldn't bother getting one if you kid is using your phone a lot. Just buy a used ipod touch and put it in one of those super kid cases. Games are a lot cheaper.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

raaaan posted:

We have a leappad. It's pretty robust. Our first one got broken, but that may have been because our son tossed it off the third floor balcony. Definitely glad it was that instead of my $600 iPad.

The apps actually tune by age, so get easier or harder depending on what you put in.

Keep in mind that new apps are super expensive though, especially when compared to free apps you can get on your phone. Budget $200 for the device plus 4 or 5 games. Each one is anywhere from $15 to $30.

Alterian posted:

I use to snerk at people that use a harness and leash on their kids, but I've been tempted to get one for my 18 month old for longer outdoor outings. Does anyone use one? Do they still have the stigma of "bad parenting" with them?

Don't worry about what other people think about whether it's 'good' or 'bad'. If to works for you and makes it easier to keep your kid out of the poison ivy or whatever then go for it. There's certainly nothing you're going to hurt by using it. I personally never used one but why not?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Alterian posted:

I used one with my son from the time he was about 18 months old and still use it now that he's 28 months old, though for the last couple weeks or so he's started resisting putting the backpack on if the leash is attached. I've never gotten any negative comments, have gotten people asking where I bought it, and since it's a backpack and he could put whatever would fit into it, he was pretty happy wearing it. (He still wants to wear it everywhere, mind you, he just wants the leash detached first. I am sometimes able to con him into letting me attach the leash once the backpack is on.)

It was great for walking through the zoo, for example: he didn't have to hold my hand, so he could more or less set his own pace, but the leash was so short that he couldn't get very far if he started running. (I actually haven't gone since he started refusing to wear it; I might still get away with it at the zoo, for all I know. It doesn't work to keep him next to me at the bank or in my immediate vicinity when we're walking up the street to the mailbox, though.)

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Alterian posted:

I used one with my son, for a few years after most people would. He would frequently try to pull a runner, and didn't have the verbal skills to get help or give information if he got lost. I already dealt with plenty of 'bad parent' glares and whatnot, with him going into meltdowns in stores, but I didn't really notice an increase or anything. I pretty quickly learned not to give any fucks what other people thought, in general.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Alterian posted:

My youngest is a 'runner' but I just can't bring myself to consider one of those things. It's easier now he's 29 months and can listen to direction (mostly), but when he was younger and we went somewhere we brought the stroller or the wagon. If we went to the zoo, he sat in the wagon.. needed to go to the mall? Stroller time. A leash on my child... no way. I'm not doing that.

Ultimately do what's best for you and your kid, and don't give a drat what other people think. If it works for you, and you feel the need to do it, go for it. Keeping the kid out of harms way is more important than anything else.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I've used one before when Connor was younger, to be honest I didn't even know there was a stigma about them until my sister in law said something about it but I think it's a difference in attitudes between countries.

I used reins rather than the backpack and lead - the best thing about it was when he tripped there was extra support as well as me holding his hand so he was less likely to hit his face off the floor. It made life a lot easier when I didn't want to confine him to his pushchair all the time but he wasn't great at not suddenly dashing off or falling over.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

raaaan posted:

Eh, our youngest has one, and while he'll pull it out every once and a while to play, it's largely gone unused in lieu of the shared iPad. We have a pretty thick rubbery foam case on it that has held up extraordinarily well, and is built-up around the edges to the screen, so the only real danger is from pointed impacts to the screen.

For me, the biggest turn-off for the Leapfrog system is the Nintendo-esque price for the games that just isn't warranted for their quality, IMO.

I think you might be better-served with something like maybe a used iPad Mini in a kid-tested/mother-approved case - that, combined with at least semi-supervised use, should help prevent the majority of issues you encounter.

With my kids, the only time our devices had an accident was when our eldest tripped on the pavement and dropped our first-gen, caseless iPad. To me, they are surprisingly robust devices, all things considered (at the same time, my boss has managed to destroy two iPhones and an iPad, and he's a grown-rear end adult, so clearly it's a YMMV situation).

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Tablet talk: Vivian loves our iPad mini which my husband has locked up in a heavy duty shatter resistant case. I let her use my iPad mini to watch videos but I don't have the same case so she only uses it with my close supervision. I found a ton of free apps for her but tbh she likes watching videos or looking at iPhoto etcetera. It's crazy how quickly she learned to use the thing. She can swipe the home screen lock, swipe to the page with video icons, scroll to find Wallykazam, and pick an episode.

TL;dr I agree with the suggestion to get a used tablet and I find the iPad mini is a great size for small hands.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
There's also the Kindle Fire. The 1st gen is still available new from Amazon and is only $80 right now (I think). You can get super cases for it, and they're not as big as an Ipad, about half the size, but still MUCH larger than a phone screen. A majority of the IOS games are also available for it, through Amazon. My dad got one for me for my birthday, and I love it for reading at night while nursing and watching TV shows at night while nursing, but now that my kid is older, it does get a lot of use by her to play games.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm mostly considering one because we have a lot of weekend /day trips coming up this summer and he is only 50/50 reliable with being ok with sitting in a stroller and he usually gets tired of it. He's getting too heavy to carry anywhere, and he melts down if we try to hold his hand.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Alterian posted:

My son has special needs, he was delayed on all his milestones including walking. He didn't walk until he was 25 months old. He also has sensory issues and was nonverbal until he was 5 years old. I used the poo poo out of a leash once he finally started walking, because he COULD NOT hold hands due to his sensory issues, and also had a tendency to freak the gently caress out, pick a direction and just RUN if he was startled in any way. Also popular, just dropping to the ground like a stone, which is equally horrifically unsafe in a parking lot; you can't see a two year old lying on the ground behind your car when you try to back out of a parking spot. He was just completely not safe without a leash, and he needed to be able to interact with the world on his own terms to help his development, which he couldn't do in a stroller. He needed to be able to touch the dirt or smell the flowers to whatever extent he was comfortable with, in order for him to start learning how to process the sensory input that was so problematic to him to begin with. I got a few looks, but those people aren't living my life or parenting my child, so they can just gently caress right off as far as I was concerned. I never had anyone actually say anything negative to me although I'm sure there was plenty of judgement going on behind my back, but I'm pretty much of the opinion that those people probably would have found some other reason to judge me anyway even without the leash.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Can someone explain to me the perceived problem with leashes and harnesses? I mean, it's pretty well accepted that keeping check of a child is a hard thing, what's the problem with some extra security? I just didn't realize it was a thing, I know my mom used one and my fiance's mother used one. But both of our parents are not from the U.S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Gotta judge people about something. Obviously if you need something like that you're a bad parent.