Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Who was expected to win the Rumble when Cena had the surprise return, or Edge with the same deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Minidust posted:

I saw Bobby Heenan at a Q&A event in 2005 and he cited this match as his favorite of all time. :)

Interesting thing about Bobby: even though it was apparent he stopped caring in WCW, every once in a while he'd mark out hard for really cool poo poo. You can tell he loved Goldberg vs. DDP (rightly so, it's a drat good match).

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

Who was expected to win the Rumble when Cena had the surprise return, or Edge with the same deal?

Triple H in 2008, I guess Cena in 2010 but I remember Edge's name coming up.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Revenant Threshold posted:

Since widespread internet access, have there been any genuine, big surprises in wrestling? I'm thinking Cena returning early at the Royal Rumble as the kind of thing, though I don't actually know how shocking that was.

Punk's "pipe bomb" promo in 2011?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oldpainless posted:

Weren't a bunch of people surprised at the Rock being the surprise guest host at Wrestlemania?

The vast majority of viewers were surprised to the point there was very little ratings increase for the segment because people didn't expect The Rock.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Golden Bee posted:

Nobody believed that my client
BROCK LESNAR
would break the Streak!

This is pretty much the pinnacle of big shocks, I'd say, with or without the internet. VERY few people in the company knew about it, and almost literally nobody in the entire world actually expected it. Brock was just another hurdle and people were saying "Yeah yeah, they're promoting it like Brock can do it, but they'll never in a million years give that honor to a part-timer." You know how big a shock it was because it made headlines in completely unrelated media. The silly part was the non-fans saying "Well it's fixed so I don't know why it's a surprise" without the context of fixed results being exactly why nobody thought they'd actually do it after 23 years and 10+ years of heavy promotion that nobody could ever break it. I don't know if I've ever seen such a big surprise in wrestling have such an impact in mainstream media.

PatRichCapone
Sep 24, 2003

*scoffs* *meows*

Revenant Threshold posted:

Since widespread internet access, have there been any genuine, big surprises in wrestling? I'm thinking Cena returning early at the Royal Rumble as the kind of thing, though I don't actually know how shocking that was.

Chris Jericho was a legit surprise entrant at the Royal Rumble in this decade!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I didn't start watching until a few months later, but Okada's first IWGP championship win at New Beginning 2012 definitely seemed to have been a shock to most people.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

MassRafTer posted:

The vast majority of viewers were surprised to the point there was very little ratings increase for the segment because people didn't expect The Rock.

Didnt WWE imply or false leak that it was Justin Bieber?

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Can't they just give Smackdown like a TV title or something? I might be being a little unfair since I hardly watch it anymore, but holy gently caress is it pointless since the brand split ended.

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 5, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Fat Lowtax posted:

Can't they just give Smackdown like a TV title or something? I might be being a little unfair since I hardly watch it anymore, but holy gently caress is it pointless since the brand split.

Why do that when they have two midcard titles, a Divas title and tag titles that could easily be defended on that show? Making another worthless belt isn't the answer, it's getting them to realize that they can liven up their TV a bit more by utilizing the ones they have.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Think we'll ever see someone who isn't Austin use the stunner as a finisher again?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
A lot of dirtsheets had The Shield breaking up and Roman staying face, but Rollins turning alone was real surprising.

Though maybe it's too fresh for me to put this in right historical context.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Is the Twist of Fate a cutter or a stunner?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

sticklefifer posted:

This is pretty much the pinnacle of big shocks, I'd say, with or without the internet. VERY few people in the company knew about it, and almost literally nobody in the entire world actually expected it. Brock was just another hurdle and people were saying "Yeah yeah, they're promoting it like Brock can do it, but they'll never in a million years give that honor to a part-timer." You know how big a shock it was because it made headlines in completely unrelated media. The silly part was the non-fans saying "Well it's fixed so I don't know why it's a surprise" without the context of fixed results being exactly why nobody thought they'd actually do it after 23 years and 10+ years of heavy promotion that nobody could ever break it. I don't know if I've ever seen such a big surprise in wrestling have such an impact in mainstream media.

Between that and the Warriors dying, that was almost two weeks of people in the mainstream media talking pro wrestling -- and every show would have some guy come on who sheepishly admitted to watching it, and try to put everything in context. And he'd always be someone who pretends to not know as much as everyone knows he knows. 'Um yeah I think Undertaker used to be like, a zombie character at one point.' Fucker you know exactly what he was at every point, you have all the DVDs and we know it. Own your horrible expertise.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

MassRafTer posted:

Why do that when they have two midcard titles, a Divas title and tag titles that could easily be defended on that show? Making another worthless belt isn't the answer, it's getting them to realize that they can liven up their TV a bit more by utilizing the ones they have.

It doesn't really matter which belt - as a television program, Smackdown matters about as much as the Divas title does. Maybe less. They should be using their lower belts on TV more, but they should also try to do something with Smackdown to make it feel distinct which is why I said a TV title.

The fact that they choose not to write self-contained storylines for Smackdown is so weird when they have more guys than spots.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

That's a cutter.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

That's a cutter.

If you're Dolph Ziggler its a neckbreaker.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Jeff does both on occasion.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If it looks like a stunner, it's because Jeff is loving it up.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Give Rollins the stunner, stack that heat high.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

If it looks like a stunner, it's because Jeff is loving it up.

he very deliberately does it as a stunner all the time in tag team matches so his partner can hit their finisher right afterwards

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's a swinging cutter.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

oatgan posted:

he very deliberately does it as a stunner all the time in tag team matches so his partner can hit their finisher right afterwards

Nothing he does in TNA matters

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Nothing he does in TNA matters
but he wrestles in TNA and TNA is where Wrestling Matters Here

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

We'll never see another Jeff Hardy vs. CM Punk feud. :smith:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bard Maddox posted:

I know I'm probably the only person in the world who has this opinion, but i think the best WrestleMania match ever is Kurt Angle vs. Shawn Michaels from WM21. I think it's an absolutely stellar and perfect match and it only gets better every time you watch it.

I hated that match

edit: I shouldn't say hated, but I didn't see it until a few years after it happened, and with all the hype, I was disappointed

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 6, 2014

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's a swinging cutter.

It's kind of weird to call it swinging since neither of the Hardys ever actually did anything extra to their opponents aside from the cutter itself. If you look at the move, Matt or Jeff does the twisting motion and then drops them. It's just a bit of flash added to a standard cutter and that's all it is.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Do wrestlers actually use any of this swinging/inverse/reverted/wrist clutch/Gory/sheerdrop terminology, or is that pretty much a thing of Internet smarks? Because I don't believe for a loving second that any wrestler has ever called Austin's move a 3/4 facelock jawbreaker.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Do wrestlers actually use any of this swinging/inverse/reverted/wrist clutch/Gory/sheerdrop terminology, or is that pretty much a thing of Internet smarks? Because I don't believe for a loving second that any wrestler has ever called Austin's move a 3/4 facelock jawbreaker.

nobody who matters has ever called it a 3/4 facelock jawbreaker

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

oatgan posted:

nobody who matters has ever called it a 3/4 facelock jawbreaker

When I used to help write cards for e-feds I wrote the smarkiest commentators ever who did refer to a cutter as a 3/4 facelock inverted bulldog.

:smith:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The only time I've seen "3/4 facelock" etc. is in Wikipedia articles, which then cite articles in which that term is never used. So at the end of the day, it's the product of some wrestling nerd and nothing more.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

The only time I've seen "3/4 facelock" etc. is in Wikipedia articles, which then cite articles in which that term is never used. So at the end of the day, it's the product of some wrestling nerd and nothing more.

3/4 nelson is an actual move in amateur wrestling, and it involves the arms being in the same position around the head as a Stunner/Cutter, so it's not entirely made up.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

And then there was a giant ratings increase the next week.

MisterGBH posted:

Didnt WWE imply or false leak that it was Justin Bieber?
They did. The script for the week was even titled Leave it to Bieber.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

And then there was a giant ratings increase the next week.

They did. The script for the week was even titled Leave it to Bieber.

You keep saying this when this comes up but the increase wasn't nearly as giant as you'd expect for such a debut, it's not like they wouldn't get a bounce the next week if they announced the debut and WWE has internally admitted it is a mistake.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

You keep saying this when this comes up but the increase wasn't nearly as giant as you'd expect for such a debut, it's not like they wouldn't get a bounce the next week if they announced the debut and WWE has internally admitted it is a mistake.
The number was pretty big, and we'll never know how much bigger it would've been had they announced it, but really I just hate the idea that no surprises should ever happen because ratings.

I don't care about ratings at all if it means nobody unexpected can ever turn up for a huge pop. You earn a lot of brand loyalty by rewarding regular viewers like that.

I couldn't stop watching WCW because I never knew what was going to happen and didn't want to miss anything awesome. Then 1999 happened, and I knew that I'd miss exactly dick if I did something worthwhile with my Monday nights, and tuned out until September, when Russo was hired (oy).

I realize that popping a big rating for one quarter-hour is a feather in their cap and all that, but when they reward viewers at the last minute, they still do a giant number the next week, and the difference between that number and the hypothetical what-if number of, say, promoting Rock's appearance, doesn't really matter to me and shouldn't always matter to them. It's pretty small in the grand scheme of things, and makes the show better.

You don't want to take this too far in the other direction and become Eric Bischoff, but sometimes a surprise is worth losing a .5 on a single quarter-hour.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 6, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

The number was pretty big, and we'll never know how much bigger it would've been had they announced it, but really I just hate the idea that no surprises should ever happen because ratings.

I don't care about ratings at all if it means nobody unexpected can ever turn up for a huge pop. You earn a lot of brand loyalty by rewarding regular viewers like that.

I couldn't stop watching WCW because I never knew what was going to happen and didn't want to miss anything awesome. Then 1999 happened, and I knew that I'd miss exactly dick if I did something worthwhile with my Monday nights, and tuned out until September, when Russo was hired (oy).

I realize that popping a big rating for one quarter-hour is a feather in their cap and all that, but when they reward viewers at the last minute, they still do a giant number the next week, and the difference between that number and the hypothetical what-if number of, say, promoting Rock's appearance, doesn't really matter to me and should matter to them. It's pretty small in the grand scheme of things, and makes the show better.

You don't want to take this too far in the other direction and become Eric Bischoff, but sometimes a surprise is worth losing a .5 on a single quarter-hour.

If you don't care about it at all why did you even bring it up? The number the next week had no bearing on this at all. The only reason that week's rating is relevant is it shows very few people knew to tune in. They managed to bring the Rock back and have ratings go down that week and then didn't do their biggest rating of the year the next week.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

If you don't care about it at all why did you even bring it up?
Because two arguments in favor of my point is better than one, and they aren't mutually exclusive.

I'm glad they did it. It was hardly Goldberg/Hogan in Atlanta. They still did really well the next week. I can definitely see your point about popping a big rating, but one night of ratings (more specifically one quarter-hour) isn't going to mean much if your fans know that anything cool will be announced beforehand, so don't bother tuning in unless we tell you what's coming.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

Because two arguments in favor of my point is better than one, and they aren't mutually exclusive.

I'm glad they did it. It was hardly Goldberg/Hogan in Atlanta. They still did really well the next week. I can definitely see your point about popping a big rating, but one night of ratings (more specifically one quarter-hour) isn't going to mean much if your fans know that anything cool will be announced beforehand, so don't bother tuning in unless we tell you what's coming.

No one is arguing in favor of there never being surprises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

No one is arguing in favor of there never being surprises.
Are you not? You seem to be arguing that Rock's return should have been promoted ahead of time. I'm taking the opposite position.