Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
*sigh*

Rest in peace, John Pinette.

Prescription drugs take another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

escape artist posted:

*sigh*

Prescription drugs take another.

Just saw that on Twitter. Sad stuff.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I could have sworn he was Jay Leggett, the fat white guy on In Living Color. Incidentally, Jay died last year of natural causes at the age of 50.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

escape artist posted:

*sigh*

He go now!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

You scare my wife!

I always liked Pinette.

In less sad news, I'm seeing Todd Glass this weekend for the second or third time. I'm looking forward to it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So Dave Attell has a new special out.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I saw Paul F. Tompkins Varietopia last night and it was great. Paul excels in that host-y vibe and Tom Lennon was there and they have fantastic chemistry. Karen Kilgariff played a small set of her popular songs but she was great as always. I even lucked out and got a Largo aisle seat with no one sitting next to me.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I was stoked to hear him mention on Sklarbro County that he was planning to bring Varietopia to Just For Laughs Montreal, so I had the slightest chance in heck of attending one.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Jim Gaffigan's new special, Obsessed, debuts tonight on Comedy Central at 9pm (so, in twenty minutes) for those of you that like him. I'll probably wait til the cd is out and just listen to it.

Also, I saw Doug Stanhope last night. Had a blast.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

XIII posted:

Jim Gaffigan's new special, Obsessed, debuts tonight on Comedy Central at 9pm (so, in twenty minutes) for those of you that like him. I'll probably wait til the cd is out and just listen to it.

Boy, I hope he's still doing the "inner voice"! That NEVER gets old!

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Gaffigan is still one of the funniest loving comics out there.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

FitFortDanga posted:

Boy, I hope he's still doing the "inner voice"! That NEVER gets old!

I like when he talks about food!

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Punch Card posted:

I like when he talks about food!

Well perusing the track listing:

Can't Stop Eating
Fruits & Vegetables
Donuts
Southern Food
Fried Bread
Weddings
Live Longer
Don't Want to Smell
Victoria's Secret
Seafood
Chinese Desserts
Kobe Beef
Hot Dogs & Buffalo Wings
Bars
Public Restrooms
5 Kids
Cancer
Babies Are Magic
Mt. Rushmore

It looks like you're in luck!!

Any way, it's on Spotify now.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Can't wait until I have time to watch the Sklars newest special on Netflix. I saw them do a solid amount of the new material around LA last year and it was great as usual.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I don't know where to put this really but I watched Brett Gelman's Dinner With Friends and my life is forever changed.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

No Louie thread?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Snapchat A Titty posted:

No Louie thread?

Not in this subforum. It would be in TVIV. The show has been gone so long that the thread is probably archived, though. I'm sure someone will make a new one. Maybe it will be you!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I'm not at a point in my life where I feel I can take on being the OP of a thread on the something awful forums.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I'm not at a point in my life where I feel I can take on being the OP of a thread on the something awful forums.

I bought an account cause of your other thread

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Just For Laughs Montreal just posted their lineup (http://justforlaughs.com/ - too many acts to list), in this celebration of Canadian Comedy Christmas. Glad they announced the big shows at the same time as the Off JFL shows which I tend to prefer.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Patton Oswalt is currently trolling people who get outraged over nothing by apologizing for offensive deleted tweets that he never actually tweeted. It's super meta and stuff.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 7, 2014

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Piquai Souban posted:

Just For Laughs Montreal just posted their lineup (http://justforlaughs.com/ - too many acts to list), in this celebration of Canadian Comedy Christmas. Glad they announced the big shows at the same time as the Off JFL shows which I tend to prefer.

Goddamn that is an amazing line-up. I've never been to the Montreal JFL - it looks complicated, and that's coming from a guy who loves the JFL42 (Toronto) system. How do you like... go... to this? Buy a $200 pass and see some stuff? Are there individual tickets? I want to see Birbiglia and Broad City and Kate MacKinnon and a bunch of the smaller shows.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

There's a passport and a Comedy Overload pass which I don't understand and haven't tried - but it's usually a la carte ticketing which can add up.

A lot of our podcast comedian favorites are on the Off JFL series in smaller venues, which are awesome and 20$ish. The Galas and bigger shows can be as high as 80$.

That said, it's pretty amazing to hang around a great city like Montreal and spend 60$ running between 3 shows a night and pass by comedians rushing the other way - a lot of venues are walking distance from each other.

I hit JFL42 also and really like the price and check-in system, but Montreal is a different beast.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Old-rear end comedy fans: there was a black guy who was moderately successful during the 90's. He had a flat-top, he wore loud 90's shirts, and his closer involved putting on a pair of coke bottle glasses, hiking his pants up, and pretending to be his grandpa. He used to yell poo poo about Ninja Turtles mostly.

Does anyone have any earthly idea who that was? It's been driving me nuts.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

Goddamn that is an amazing line-up. I've never been to the Montreal JFL - it looks complicated, and that's coming from a guy who loves the JFL42 (Toronto) system. How do you like... go... to this? Buy a $200 pass and see some stuff? Are there individual tickets? I want to see Birbiglia and Broad City and Kate MacKinnon and a bunch of the smaller shows.

I used to go every summer with my Dad, and our strategy was basically to get tickets to a couple of the big things that we knew we wanted to see, but other wise we just stumbled into things that sounded interesting and had tickets at the door.

It's been a few years, so I'm a little foggy on how they set it up exactly, but you should be able to just grab tickets to whatever individual shows you want to check out.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

DangerDummy! posted:

Old-rear end comedy fans... during the 90's...

90s comedians are considered old now?

Well, poo poo.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I had a really cool stand up week this week. Monday I went to Hot Tub, and Paul F Tompkins was on the show and he was just utterly fantastic. Not that everyone else wasn't good, just that Paul came out and destroyed for like 20 minutes of what seemed to mostly be riffing. Then last night went to a recording of of Andy Peters doing an hour long set. He was great and is a really cool dude to talk to. Eddie Peppitone and Karen Kilgariff were there as well.

I also ran into and said hi to Jason Mantzoukas randomly on the street.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I saw Chris Gethard and Carmen Lynch tonight and they were great. Chris Gethard is so easygoing.

There was a woman in the front row who kept bringing out her cell to "take notes for her blog" and every single comic told her to knock it off and she wouldn't and Gethard ripped into her in this incredibly polite way and it was just phenomenal. Anyway go see him.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

urk the quack posted:

90s comedians are considered old now?

Well, poo poo.

I meant the fans, mostly dudes like me that would record HBO comedy specials by putting the boom box up to the TV speakers. But no, not like Kip Addotta old or anything. I'm gonna find this guy, god dammit.

edit: Ralph Harris. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8HP5EzcY-Q

quote:

There was a woman in the front row who kept bringing out her cell to "take notes for her blog" and every single comic told her to knock it off and she wouldn't and Gethard ripped into her in this incredibly polite way and it was just phenomenal. Anyway go see him.

How is this poo poo still allowed? It's not as bad as someone putting their phone up to record a live show, but if more than one comic asks them to stop, why does no one step in? It's so loving rude.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 16, 2014

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I agree, it's ridiculous. The venue is a tiny little basement so I guess they don't really have the staff to do anything about it.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

https://www.jfl42.com/the42/

holy poo poo

This will be my third straight JFL42 and this might be the best line-up yet.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

https://www.jfl42.com/the42/

holy poo poo

This will be my third straight JFL42 and this might be the best line-up yet.

Its gonna own, but lmao at some of those choices for headliners. Cant wait to see the Lena Dunham and Nick Offerman double header hahah

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

manyak posted:

Its gonna own, but lmao at some of those choices for headliners. Cant wait to see the Lena Dunham and Nick Offerman double header hahah

"So you're going to a comedy festival?"
"Yes I am going to go watch Lena Dunham read parts of a book"

They apparently still have one more headliner to announce so I hope they hurry up and do it before tickets go on sale Thursday morning. For now I guess I will go with Schumer and get six tokens, the 42 way outshine the headliners this year (again)

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Joe Rogan's head looks more like a thumb every time I see it.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Which stand-up comedians have a lot of puns in their routine?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

toanoradian posted:

Andy Zaltzman, maybe? He is a fan of atrocious pun runs on the podcast that he co-hosts, at least.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

toanoradian posted:

He's not as well-known in the US, but Tim Vine definitely comes to mind.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Ror posted:

He's not as well-known in the US, but Tim Vine definitely comes to mind.

This was the first person I thought of too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Kurt Braunohler does not like that Mancow fella

http://kurtbraunohler.tumblr.com/post/88288153140/mancoward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Not that they were peaches themselves but growing up in southern california I feel downright spoiled by Mark and Brian. Brian could get creepy but he was mostly harmless. Is Morning Zoo style radio really like that?

Politicalrancor fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 10, 2014