Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

ewe2 posted:

Someone made the claim in the last week that in fact this is normal behaviour for enrolments but they pick up again, the example given was a UK one and the drop and pickup from Howards 25pc hike in the 90's. Difficult to see how this will work this time because its not simply a fee hike its also interest on top.

It will happen exactly the same way. Enrolments will drop initially from people "disgusted" by the changes, but will pick back up again from people either oblivious to the changes or from people twigging that it's still not any easier to "get ahead" without a degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Les Affaires posted:

It will happen exactly the same way. Enrolments will drop initially from people "disgusted" by the changes, but will pick back up again from people either oblivious to the changes or from people twigging that it's still not any easier to "get ahead" without a degree.

Yeah, the fact is that they can do whatever the gently caress they want on this one, and it won't make a difference because no increase will be enough to outstrip the value of actually getting a degree.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, the fact is that they can do whatever the gently caress they want on this one, and it won't make a difference because no increase will be enough to outstrip the value of actually getting a degree.

Pret-ty much. Having a degree will still provide a decent income differential compared to not having one, however over time we might find the benefit of the degree is degraded because of the amount of interest paid on a much larger debt.

And as mentioned before, a larger debt forces professionals to charge more for their services, meaning those on benefits will ultimately lose out due to wage inflation.

Sorry baby boomers.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Well 7:30 was pretty flat.
Turnbull throws off any leadership aspirations (but think of the cushy jobs your mates would get if you were PM!) , mulls a bit over whether Abbott was actually mad enough to order Bolt and Jones to attack him while away, and is glad to see the ABC audit is working via cheap mugs.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

sidviscous posted:

International transit is significantly cheaper than either last mile access (by and large a regulated monopoly) or exchange backhaul (in areas without competitive backhaul options - of which there are still many). Most non p2p traffic is already locally served from CDNs like Akamai and friends.

The "we're miles away" argument is one of the least significant contributors to the cost of internet in Australia

Bit late but this. The cost of internet in Australia is so high because when ADSL became a thing Telstra had just finished their dial up network and wanted to recoup thier money from that build. So they priced adsl high and introduced "data caps" to keep dial up the much cheaper option for longer. Then some twit privatised the infrastructure along with the sales business creating a monopoly and ADSL prices stayed high with the excuse "people are willing to pay 100 bucks a month so that's what it is worth." Even though as the only wholesale carrier at the time there was no other place to turn. This is about the same as a loanshark saying "this guy who owes me money cannot give it right now so he must want me to break his legs"

Also from memory there is a 1tbs pacific cable going in as we speak with plans for more. Continental communications aint no thing.

P.S Hypation, quit reinforcing the mantra of "those who can't, teach."

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Someone with better photoshop skills than I ought to make the necessary adjustments to this picture http://imgur.com/KPkZP6i

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

The public undermining of Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull and questions over his loyalty to Tony Abbott have been linked to expectations inside the Coalition that the Prime Minister is heading towards a ''mini-reshuffle'' of the ministry.

The stoush prompted government discussion about what had fuelled the attack on Mr Turnbull, with suspicion that Jones and fellow right-wing commentator Bolt were being egged on by the hard right of the party.

Fairfax Media can also reveal that Bolt and Jones have asked Labor for ammunition to use against Mr Turnbull, particularly in relation to his stewardship of the national broadband network

A Liberal Party source said possible changes to the ministry were behind the instability.

''There might be a few people trying to remind Abbott of their usefulness to him and loyalty when it counted [when he took over the Liberal leadership from Mr Turnbull],'' said a Liberal Party source.

Arthur Sinodinos is expected to be moved on from his suspended role as assistant treasurer after his bruising appearance at the NSW Independent Commission Against Corruption, while speculation persists that Immigration Minister Scott Morrison will step into the job of Defence Minister at the expense of David Johnston.

Keep going down the rabbit hole.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Abbott wouldn't dare shift Turnbull out of the front bench would he?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lid posted:

Keep going down the rabbit hole.

This off the record stuff is such a tease, I WANT NAMES!!!

Nautilus42
Jan 14, 2008
Unrelated sea creature

Senor Tron posted:

It would help him consolidate his power and get some other lobotomized bozo to take up the spot. It would also mean that Turnball and the troops behind him potentially jumping ships at some point (Maybe even for PUP), or maybe I'm just a romantic hoping that something that ridiculous would lead to its obvious conclusions.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Surely Abbott shifting Turnbull out of power would just risk Turnbull saying 'well gently caress it then' and going for the top spot.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Nautilus42 posted:

It would help him consolidate his power and get some other lobotomized bozo to take up the spot. It would also mean that Turnball and the troops behind him potentially jumping ships at some point (Maybe even for PUP), or maybe I'm just a romantic hoping that something that ridiculous would lead to its obvious conclusions.

Seems like the type of thing that's a big gamble.

There's a strong possibility that moving Turnbull off the front bench and out of the daily media focus would end the speculation. The fact that Abbott is doing so poorly though carries the possibility that it could make him look scared.

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

adamantium|wang posted:

It is a lovely land.

Pretty much on the money there.

Nautilus42
Jan 14, 2008
Unrelated sea creature

Senor Tron posted:

There's a strong possibility that moving Turnbull off the front bench and out of the daily media focus would end the speculation. The fact that Abbott is doing so poorly though carries the possibility that it could make him look scared.

To be honest, Abbott would keep Turnball to ensure Palmer would at least listen to the the Liberal party. It's the only thing keeping Abbott from being a total lame duck in the coming years.

The irony of Bolt and Alan Jones criticizing the Libs for keeping Turnball will be wonderful

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

Senor Tron posted:

Sacked former ministers don't even have to pretend to be loyal.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Senor Tron posted:

It would also piss off considerably a lot of the 'moderate' Lib voters who will ask themselves why the gently caress are they still supporting this band of jackals.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
A reshuffle 9 months in isn't inherently unusual (especially with Sinodinos out of action), and there have been rumours about Johnston losing his spot for at least a month.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Senor Tron posted:

A leadership switch is far far more immediate and cleaner way to appease the public than a DD or a forced election, and I do think Abbott is genuinely concerned someone will challenge him very soon. While he might want to sell his arse, he also wants to protect it.

It'd have to be done in a very calculating move, Abbott likely doesn't want to be seen publicly removing a minister, especially if it makes him look paranoid as a result of some polls - it would backfire and end Abbot through revolt.

Problem is there's very little reason to directly remove Turnbull, perhaps ideologically; his support for the ETS and same-sex marriage. But he's not the only Liberal member who also supports these things so it'd be immensely petty.
Turnbull has one of the largest pockets for the Libs funding (that's on official record) so he won't be tossed aside too fast.

The sudden revelations of a dinner with Clive and a poll boon could mean this could be a cruel excuse for a test of character by testing his allegiance to see if he will crack. Plus there's the carrot on a stick of returning to leadership, so they want to see if he'll grab the bait early. It's a two pronged attack where the only possible safe move is to dodge.

I wonder if Pyne is creeping about exacting revenge. No doubt we'll be reminded of the OzCar affair that sunk Turnbull in the first place. I'm sure Bolt and Jones are comparing notes.

Abbott and his CoS being away makes it harder to easily point a finger, but having leadership speculation questions in the middle of a high profile tour which could rattle Abbott, or provide him with an international stage to publicly warn Turnbull. Given we have a PM who's just been ridiculed in the international press this could be a cunning plan to (somehow) show he's not an idiot.

But Turnbull is proving pretty hard to crack and isn't taking any of the bullshit that's flying about, so a plan to discredit him could be seen as a way to make sure he doesn't poll higher than Abbott and keep him quiet - if he passes, it's business as usual.

Plan B: potentially finding an excuse to remove him of his portfolio as a way to create a sense of solidarity with Abbott and put some fear into the backbench - but that would be a very extreme measure, one where Turnbull cracks and openly criticizes Abbott's policies and the budget. Something he's not been opposed to in the past, which is why they're pressuring him as they know he's outspoken for the ETS and same-sex.

Turnbull knows something is up and will fight back. What this leads to is yet to be seen but there could be a situation where he figures out who is doing what and comes down hard enough to cause a spill. Or he realizes he's not getting any further in the party and becomes independent. But that also faces the possibility of blowing back into Abbott's face with a revolt and another battle to overthrow the leadership given there's a void.

We all know who's been Pyne-ing for the fjords.

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014
I'm seriously worried about what's going to happen to my boomer parents in the next 10 - 20 years.

Property is not sustainable. As millions of boomers try to dump housing for capital for retirement villages, and aged care, I don't see how the economy can take up the slack. Aged care is the investment opportunity of the future. The per-annum cost is going to rise very steeply, as aged care facilities and aged care workers become increasingly thin on the ground. Seriously - you can't lose. Investment in aged care will be underwritten by future governments, as their votes will depend on it. Retirees are the biggest voting bloc, and they (typically) don't give a poo poo about the rest society.

I keep expecting the property bubble to burst any day, but it seems that the game of negatively-geared musical chairs will keep going to the bitter end. And the economy is increasingly based on this 'value' that doesn't produce anything.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. Am I wrong?

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.

Pudding Space posted:

I'm seriously worried about what's going to happen to my boomer parents in the next 10 - 20 years.

Property is not sustainable. As millions of boomers try to dump housing for capital for retirement villages, and aged care, I don't see how the economy can take up the slack. Aged care is the investment opportunity of the future. The per-annum cost is going to rise very steeply, as aged care facilities and aged care workers become increasingly thin on the ground. Seriously - you can't lose. Investment in aged care will be underwritten by future governments, as their votes will depend on it. Retirees are the biggest voting bloc, and they (typically) don't give a poo poo about the rest society.

I keep expecting the property bubble to burst any day, but it seems that the game of negatively-geared musical chairs will keep going to the bitter end. And the economy is increasingly based on this 'value' that doesn't produce anything.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. Am I wrong?

It will take another major international fiscal crisis before the property market in Australia bursts.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

Plotterboy posted:

Bit late but this. The cost of internet in Australia is so high because when ADSL became a thing Telstra had just finished their dial up network and wanted to recoup thier money from that build. So they priced adsl high and introduced "data caps" to keep dial up the much cheaper option for longer. Then some twit privatised the infrastructure along with the sales business creating a monopoly and ADSL prices stayed high with the excuse "people are willing to pay 100 bucks a month so that's what it is worth." Even though as the only wholesale carrier at the time there was no other place to turn. This is about the same as a loanshark saying "this guy who owes me money cannot give it right now so he must want me to break his legs"

Also from memory there is a 1tbs pacific cable going in as we speak with plans for more. Continental communications aint no thing.

P.S Hypation, quit reinforcing the mantra of "those who can't, teach."

It's way, way more then 1 tbs. The last decade has seen Dense Wave Division Multiplexing advances result in a single wavelength going from 10Gbps to 40G to 100Gbps all without laying a new cable, so Southern Cross and SEA-ME-WE-3 have been just strategically dropping prices to stop competition while upgrading their headend gear.

Eventually people have gotten pissed at this, and four consortiums have all thrown their hat in the ring. It's unlikely all will come in service, but depending on a certain amount of bloodletting, at very least we should get one new link on each side of the country)

* Australia - Singapore (Perth-Jakarta-Singapore) is underway and might come in service this year (2ish years late), with 6.4 Tbps (1 fibre pair x 120 color x 100 Gbps)

* APX West (Perth-Jakarta-Singapore) is going for 2015 for a maximum of 20 Tbps (2 fibre pairs x 80 color x 100 Gbps / wavelength)

* APX East (Sydney-Auckland-Hawaii-Los Angeles) will be of course the other half, also about 20 Tbps (2 fibre pairs x 80 wavelength x 100 Gbps / color)

* Tasman Global Access (Sydney-New Zealand) will supposedly be 30 Tbps, I think contracts on that got signed last week, but I can't see anything formal on it.

* Hawaiki in New Zealand is working towards a 2016 launch of 6.4 Tbps (64x100G colors) but with the interesting idea of drop points in Sydney, Auckland, Norfolk Island, New Caledonia, Wallis Island, Fiji, American Samoa, Hawaii and the US.

Will prices for the consumer drop ? Probably not. A lot of this is for companies who have been buying 10Gbps Private IP reserved channels on the cables.

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
I talked my mum into selling her house now for 1.1 million or whatever because that's a poo poo load of money for essentially a stack of materials on a piece of stolen land. It's better than her being left with a lot less in the future because she is a good person who recently started voting greens after voting Labor all her life and being a life long Union member and going on strikes and poo poo. She's such a lefty it makes me proud.

She's going to buy a much smaller place and save the rest for when poo poo goes to gently caress (money will probably be meaningless then as flayed human flesh will be the most sought after currency)

The cognitive dissonance involved in doing this almost killed me though. Profiteering off an intangible, valueless Ponzi scheme set up to benifit merchant bankers and a single generation that has turned out to be the most selfish, myopic generation from recent history.

I'm sorry that I'm part of the problem :(

i got banned fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 5, 2014

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

i got banned posted:

Profiteering off an intangible, valueless Ponzi scheme set up to benifit merchant bankers and a single generation that has turned out to be the most selfish, myopic generation from recent history.

For those interested you can read Progress and poverty by Henery George here: http://www.henrygeorge.org/pdfs/PandP_Drake.pdf

Where he discusses how hosed profiting of increasing land value has always been. The baby boomers are just one of the last links in a long chain of exploitative poo poo.

Probably preaching to the converted, but yeah Henry George had some pretty :cool: ideas.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Sooooooooo

SMH posted:

The public undermining of Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull and questions over his loyalty to Tony Abbott have been linked to expectations inside the Coalition that the Prime Minister is heading towards a ''mini-reshuffle'' of the ministry.

Mr Turnbull was forced for a fourth straight day on Thursday to affirm his loyalty to the Prime Minister and support for the budget during a combative interview with Sydney radio host Alan Jones.

But in a surprising revelation, internal party sources have revealed exclusively to the Sydney Morning Herald that Turnbull appears to have the support within cabinet and the party room and will be calling for a leadership spill next Monday.

This is not a shock announcement given recent polling results, Turnbull has long been theorised to be holding the numbers against Abbott and this shock spill shows the turmoil the Liberal party is facing is no where near over.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Do you have a link to the Monday knifing part? Cant seem to Google it

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Sure do!

http://shrturl.co/FW0mJ

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

WebDog posted:

But he's not the only Liberal member who also supports these things so it'd be immensely petty.

So next week then?

:cawg:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ler posted:

Do you have a link to the Monday knifing part? Cant seem to Google it

Knifing? I think you mean orderly succession :colbert:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I have a feeling this is fake.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Yeah.

quote:

This is a SHRTURL hoax page. Viewed 703 times in 5 hours.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Jumpingmanjim posted:

It certainly is, time on the top bar is wrong

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Honestly dont know what to think. Labor set the precedent, LNP complained a bunch, but who doesnt expect to see them doing something hypocritical?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Send that page to Bolt and Jones, ta.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Welllllp

quote:

Statement says Jackson knew about graft claims for a decade
June 6, 2014
Nick McKenzie, Richard Baker, Ben Schneiders

Self-professed union whistleblower Kathy Jackson used $1 million in members' funds to pay off two personal credit cards she claims to have used on work expenses between 2000 and 2011.

Documents prepared for the royal commission into unions also reveal that between 2007 and 2010, Ms Jackson withdrew a further $220,000 in cash using union bank cheques.

A Fairfax Media investigation has also obtained a leaked NSW police statement that alleges Ms Jackson knew of serious corruption claims involving Health Services Union boss Michael Williamson and Craig Thomson more than a decade before she reported the pair to police in 2011.

The witness, Sydney businesswoman Carron Gilleland, told detectives she asked for Ms Jackson's help in 1999 after discovering the possible ''illicit'' use of union members' funds by the pair.

The leaked police statement and other documents also suggest that a private company directed by Ms Jackson and her then husband Jeff Jackson was used both as a slush fund and a vehicle for charging the union for ''industrial consulting'' fees in the late 1990s.

The revelations raise fresh questions about Ms Jackson's campaign to portray herself as a union and ALP whistleblower, a position for which she has been praised by Prime Minister Tony Abbott and used by some to justify the royal commission into union corruption.

Supporters of Ms Jackson are preparing a fresh legal action to place the HSU - for which she still serves as national secretary - into administration.

Ms Jackson did not respond to any questions put to her by Fairfax Media.

This newspaper is not suggesting she engaged in criminal conduct. But health services union officials are so concerned about the lack of accountability around Ms Jackson's use of union funds they are sending the banking documents to the royal commission.

Ms Gilleland made the allegation in a sworn police statement in 2012, during the inquiry into since convicted HSU bosses Williamson and Thomson.

''Why did it take Kathy Jackson over a decade to bring this information forward?'' a source close to the police investigation said.

The police statements allege that a printing company owned by Ms Gilleland and which was working for the HSU provided Williamson and Thomson with credit cards in late 1997.

The statement alleges the cards were supplied after Williamson pressured Ms Gilleland and said that the provision of non-union credit cards would make it harder for Williamson and Thomson's union expenses to be used for muckraking in political campaigns.

Ms Gilleland, who declined to comment to Fairfax Media, alleged to police that when she learned in 1998 that the cards were being abused and used for personal expenses, she sought help from Ms Jackson and her then husband and fellow senior HSU official Jeff Jackson.

''We never suspected that the AMEX cards would be used at a personal level and paid for at the expense of the members of the health services union,'' the police statement states.

''I was speaking with Kathy and Jeff because I wanted some help and advice about how to extricate ourselves from the illicit arrangement.''

After receiving no assistance from the Jacksons or other union officials, Ms Gilleland cancelled the cards in April 1999.

The supply of the cards remained a union secret until 2011, when the corruption allegations were leaked to the media and Ms Jackson reported Williamson and Thomson to the NSW police.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Whoops, just confirmed with the creator.

On the other hand though, what does this mean for Malcolm Turnbull's leadership ambitions?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Pope

I got all excited for a bit there :(

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Sir Coq of Nandos posted:

Whoops, just confirmed with the creator.

On the other hand though, what does this mean for Malcolm Turnbull's leadership ambitions?

We're still within the window of Bob Ellis' prediction, right?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Thank you for raising my hopes and then dashing them auspol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I thought we didn't want Mr Charisma to become party leader?

• Locked thread