Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011
LG G Pad 8.3 is also a good choice if you want a slightly bigger tablet at the same price and pretty much same specs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
drat, got the OTA on my 2nd gen N7 last night. I've never gotten OTA's in a timely manner despite everything I own being a "Nexus".

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
What is this thread's thoughts about the new Galaxy Tab S's due to be released soon? The specs sound right, at least.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014
I love my note pro 8.4

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

FistEnergy posted:

Not really, no. The Nexus 7 is by far the best Android tablet. And the best value too.

I literally got my Nexus 7 2013 today, and after a few hours installing poo poo and messing with it this is true. It took too long to me to get it even if I still own an Asus TF201. This poo poo is awesome for gaming and bed surfing.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

frozenpeas posted:

What is this thread's thoughts about the new Galaxy Tab S's due to be released soon? The specs sound right, at least.

The kneejerk SA response will be "TouchWiz sux lol." But hey, try one out in a Best Buy and see how you like it.

I think TouchWiz isn't the prettiest interface, and it does have its quirks (like its famously confusing settings menu). But my use case is 99% idle web browsing on the couch, and I seriously doubt TouchWiz would ruin that experience for me or anyone else.

I'm going to be keeping an eye on the Galaxy Tab S's, but I'll also be on the lookout for Google's anticipated 8 inch tablet this summer. I love the idea of a nexus 7 but 7 inches is just a little too small for me.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

To be honest, i've seen samsung tablets and they're nice. I'm not a fan of touchwiz but they cover sizes and prices that nexus devices don't, and they're fine for a normal user.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
My normal response to TouchWiz angst is to mention rooting, but sounds like Samsung made that an issue.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you have to root your tablet to make it work properly, you bought the wrong tablet.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

If you have to root your tablet to make it work properly, you bought the wrong tablet.

It's more about personal preference though. If your tablet has great hardware but you modify the software a little, it's really disingenuous to say it was the wrong purchase.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It's more about personal preference though. If your tablet has great hardware but you modify the software a little, it's really disingenuous to say it was the wrong purchase.

goons gonna goon...

Rooting your device is not "modify[ing] the software a little", it's a pretty big step for Joe Average User. Going into settings a choosing a different them, that's modifying your software a little.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
For many people, changing the oil in their car is an advanced feature they don't need. The triviality of something is relative.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Seems google finally fixed some font scaling fuckery on Nexus 10. Now Something.apk looks better, and play store does not have overlapping text anympre.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

I don't root to make something work, I root to make something work better.

Rooting is really easy for a lot of devices. On my Nexus 7, I just booted to a custom recovery (TWRP), then rebooted again. Done.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xenomorph posted:

Rooting is really easy for a lot of devices. On my Nexus 7, I just booted to a custom recovery (TWRP), then rebooted again. Done.
This is not a valid description of how to root a Nexus 7.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Tunga posted:

Well he didn't have all the steps. You boot into the custom recovery, flash the supersu zip and then you're rooted.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Cojawfee posted:

Well he didn't have all the steps. You boot into the custom recovery, flash the supersu zip and then you're rooted.

Yes, but with TWRP recovery, this is done automatically on reboot, so that is all the steps.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

Yes, but with TWRP recovery, this is done automatically on reboot, so that is all the steps.
Whaaaaaaat for how long as this been true? So TWRP always has the latest SuperSU APK and binaries embedded in it?

(And the other missing step is unlocking the bootloader.)

Tunga fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 7, 2014

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Last time I tried TWRP was like a year ago and it did it then if I remember right.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Any good (cheap) places to get a TYLT Vu for a Canadian?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

wooger posted:

Does the tablet come with TWRP?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Don't do it! It's a trap!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Don't do it! It's a trap!

Can TWRP install a Task Killer application to my removable SD card?

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Can TWRP install a Task Killer application to my removable SD card?

Of course but it doesn't allow you to have a usage bar for your RAM on the screen at all times though.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Jliznel posted:

I love my note pro 8.4

I've been looking at getting a note 8 or a note 10.1 2014 edition, because I would like a tablet that can digitize my quickly taken notes and interface with office to some extent. I know nothing about the note devices, but after reading reviews it seems like the general consensus is that writing on them feels pretty natural. Does anybody have any cautions about the note tablets? I looked into if there was a decent handwriting solution for the N7 since I'd prefer the quality/pricepoint combination, but sadly it seems like there isn't really anything.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Have a look at the display on the 10" Note - it uses a pentile sub pixel layout which is quite obvious to some people (it looks awful to me).

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Tunga posted:

OK,

1) fastboot flash TWRP
2) load recovery
3) reboot

I've rooted a Nexus 7 (2013) three times, and it's been that quick and easy. The two Nexus 7 tablets I worked with already had unlocked bootloaders, so I don't list that process (which adds like two steps).

TWRP will install SuperSU when you go to reboot if it doesn't detect root.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

surc posted:

I've been looking at getting a note 8 or a note 10.1 2014 edition, because I would like a tablet that can digitize my quickly taken notes and interface with office to some extent. I know nothing about the note devices, but after reading reviews it seems like the general consensus is that writing on them feels pretty natural. Does anybody have any cautions about the note tablets? I looked into if there was a decent handwriting solution for the N7 since I'd prefer the quality/pricepoint combination, but sadly it seems like there isn't really anything.

You could also look into a Windows 8 tablet for this. Lots have pens and OneNote is great for note taking.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

Maker Of Shoes posted:

drat, got the OTA on my 2nd gen N7 last night. I've never gotten OTA's in a timely manner despite everything I own being a "Nexus".
My Nexus 5 and 10 still haven't got the update but my Nexus 4 and 7 that I gave to my mother got it nearly a week ago. Both the 5 and 10 claim even right now that they are up to date. I had this problem once about a year ago and someone here to me to delete or force stop something to get it to update and it worked but I can't remember what it was :(

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It's not a problem, they send the updates out in batches. If it was a few more days, or weeks, from now and it still wouldn't let you update then you'd have a problem. If you must have it now, just download and manually update it. The only thing it's not out for is the cellular N7-2013.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I went to play some NES games on my Nexus 7 and couldn't get my Wiimote to sync. NES.emu just crashed.

Apparently controller sync was broken on Android nearly 2 years ago. I thought one of the "advantages" of Android was easy Bluetooth controller sync. I guess I didn't think about all the people who made guides were using a really old version of Android. :(

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Xenomorph posted:

I went to play some NES games on my Nexus 7 and couldn't get my Wiimote to sync. NES.emu just crashed.

Apparently controller sync was broken on Android nearly 2 years ago. I thought one of the "advantages" of Android was easy Bluetooth controller sync. I guess I didn't think about all the people who made guides were using a really old version of Android. :(

Google replaced the bluetooth stack starting with 4.2. This broke the apps that allowed you to use Wii & PS3 controllers.

None of the apps for Wiimotes have ever been updated to work, however the "Sixaxis" app that allows PS3 controllers to pair was updated and works on the Nexus 7 with 4.4.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I got the update for my 2nd gen N7 a few days ago here in Korea.

Still nothing for my GS3 though because the Korean version of a Korean phone is the "international" version somehow.

I love paying a monthly bill for prematurely redundant technology.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

joedevola posted:

I got the update for my 2nd gen N7 a few days ago here in Korea.

Still nothing for my GS3 though because the Korean version of a Korean phone is the "international" version somehow.

I love paying a monthly bill for prematurely redundant technology.
Samsung makes a bunch of variants of phones. "International" variants basically just mean "not-US/Canada" and, more importantly, means it runs a Samsung-developed Exynos SoC rather than the Qualcomm Snapdragon SoC the US/Canada variants get. Samsung has to port Android to Exynos themselves while a lot of the Snapdragon work is done by Google since they're what some Nexus devices use. (I guess the Nexus 10 runs an Exynos, but it's a much different version so the porting is probably still not as straightforward.)

I'd say "don't buy Samsung," but you're in Korea so I'm guessing your choices are that or LG and in that particular Hell, you've made the better choice.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

stevewm posted:

Google replaced the bluetooth stack starting with 4.2. This broke the apps that allowed you to use Wii & PS3 controllers.

None of the apps for Wiimotes have ever been updated to work, however the "Sixaxis" app that allows PS3 controllers to pair was updated and works on the Nexus 7 with 4.4.

Could I pair 2 controllers at the same time?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

rock2much posted:

Could I pair 2 controllers at the same time?

Sixaxis app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dancingpixelstudios.sixaxiscontroller) says it supports up to 4. Requires root.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Endless Mike posted:

Samsung makes a bunch of variants of phones.

I know, it's the reason I can't really root my phone. I'd be interested to know if they were charging equivalent prices for these apparently inferior international versions of what's supposed to be the same basic phone.

Anyway, sorry for the phone derail.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Newegg has this Lenovo S5000 7" Android 4.2 Tablet on sale for $120. The Amazon reviews[ for it are good and the price is great for this model. But should I save my money for something else?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Ema Nymton posted:

Newegg has this Lenovo S5000 7" Android 4.2 Tablet on sale for $120. The Amazon reviews[ for it are good and the price is great for this model. But should I save my money for something else?

Yes.

e. The baseline for what you should be looking at in the sub-$400 range is the Nexus 7. You can get good deals on that around $200 if you look around for the 2013 version, and it's a genuinely good tablet.

Android 4.2 is already very old, and you'll notice you can't do a lot of things with it if you buy the Lenovo tablet.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Bummer.

There are affordable used Nexus 7s on ebay, but they don't have SD Card slots or dual cameras, which I want.