Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

yeah, especially after that big speech she makes before hand about him being their prince and making the Bolton pay the iron price, then they show up and she's like oh drat he's gone crazy, gently caress'em let us bounce.

I'm of the opinion that there's only so far she's going to go for Theon and decided to gently caress off and kill some farmers or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Like, how does that sequence even work?

She finds Theon in the dungeon. Ramsay appears, wearing literally nothing. Theon won't leave. Then, instead of attacking Ramsay, she sits there and hurf-durfs, even while Ramsay is just standing there unlocking the dog cages.

Cut straight away to her on getting into a canoe on the beach, with no Bolton men in sight. So they just agreed to let her go? What?

It was just bad all over the place.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I wanna say this in a way that isn't a spoiler, so say that maester guy theon killed in Winterfell was bent over the chopping block at the end of the episode, theon cocking back his sword. then say someone says "yeah this moment didn't even happen till the end of book 3 crazy." then say another person says or has said at one point in the thread "yeah he's still alive in book 5", 2 things that it in themselves aren't spoilers, but together they make it a spoiler that home dude doesn't get his head chopped off right now because he's clearly alive in book 5 and this event happened in book 3.

Your example makes no sense and doesn't sound applicable to what people were talking about. Saying "this character doesn't die yet" definitely is a spoiler.

Saying 'X storyline is on book 5, way ahead of Y storyline which is only on book 3' is under no sane definition a spoiler, and implies nothing about which characters survive. Characters from either storyline can die.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Keith Allen is ridiculously obscure. It's pretty funny that his kid is now a hundred times more famous than him for a single role.

He's certainly more famous for being a coke addled dickhead who hangs out at the groucho club than he is for any role he's done.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

She finds Theon in the dungeon. Ramsay appears, wearing literally nothing. Theon won't leave. Then, instead of attacking Ramsay, she sits there and hurf-durfs, even while Ramsay is just standing there unlocking the dog cages.

Cut straight away to her on getting into a canoe on the beach, with no Bolton men in sight. So they just agreed to let her go? What?

The Iron Islands don't charge you the iron price for adopting a rescue, they just want them to have a good home.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
at very least she could've mercy killed Theon, now I'm thinking he's gonna kill her somehow.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

at very least she could've mercy killed Theon, now I'm thinking he's gonna kill her somehow.

Him killing the only person in Westeros who still cares about him would be an appropriate fate. gently caress Theon. gently caress the Iron Islands. Balon is definitely gonna win the War of the 5 Kings. I mean, only 2 remain, and Stannis keeps actually doing things!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

marktheando posted:

Saying 'X storyline is on book 5, way ahead of Y storyline which is only on book 3' is under no sane definition a spoiler, and implies nothing about which characters survive. Characters from either storyline can die.

Yeah, that doesn't make logical sense. If Character X is, in the show, on the equivalent of page 900 in book 3 and Character Y is, in the show, on the equivalent of page 150 in book 5, X could die on page 901 and Y could die on page 151 and both would be presumably shown in the next aired episode. It's equivalent to saying "Knowing they're alive on the show tells me that they're still alive on the show, which spoils me for the show."

That said, I err on the side of caution, even when people PM me or I PM them to answer questions from the thread. Better to reveal too little than too much, even if it seems clearly innocuous. I think people I've pm'd would vouch that I do a good job of informing just what they want to know and no more.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
The Ironborn are pretty pragmatic. While I'll admit the edit was poorly done and the whole fight was a bit confusing, I think it was pretty clear to her that any Theon in there was dead. If Balon was ready to chuck him into the ocean for wearing a medallion, how do you think he'd respond to a filthy eunuch begging to return to his beloved Ramsay?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kasonic posted:

The Ironborn are pretty pragmatic. While I'll admit the edit was poorly done and the whole fight was a bit confusing, I think it was pretty clear to her that any Theon in there was dead. If Balon was ready to chuck him into the ocean for wearing a medallion, how do you think he'd respond to a filthy eunuch begging to return to his beloved Ramsay?

I'd like to see that scene play out but I'd also prefer to keep Alfie Allen on the show. The way he starts falling apart at the beginning of this clip is excellent, for instance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whIP8dCR3QU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Kasonic posted:

Logically, that makes sense. The execution of that idea on the show was terrible and hilarious, especially because the built it up so much at the end of season 3.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Kasonic posted:

She had just finished saying "If they can gently caress with our prince with impunity then being ironborn means nothing"

Encounter Theon. Decide he's either been tortured / brainwashed / killed, all things that are embarrassing to have done to your prince. Rescue or not, there needs to be punishment. She should (as in what makes sense) have tried to kill Ramsay. Anything else is baffling.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vehementi posted:

She had just finished saying "If they can gently caress with our prince with impunity then being ironborn means nothing"

Encounter Theon. Decide he's either been tortured / brainwashed / killed, all things that are embarrassing to have done to your prince. Rescue or not, there needs to be punishment. She should (as in what makes sense) have tried to kill Ramsay. Anything else is baffling.

I honestly thought she'd try to kill Theon. i.e. "He's a lost cause, but at least they can't do anything more to him now." Just bolting and leaving his rear end alive was hilarious.

In particular with the jump cut and my normal expectation of GoT. The second he started bringing up the big, vicious dogs and his sister was just STARING at him while he was fumbling with the key, I figured the next scene would be the Ironborne getting mauled to death by horrifying dogs and Ramsey.

Instead the next shot is them all hilariously booking for the boat. The last thing I expected is that they'd just.. give the gently caress up.

ED: Also I could not help but think "SMITHERS, RELEASE THE HOUNDS!" during the whole scene.

Not just her, but literally all of her men too. If it was just her I'd think we had another Winterfell "missing scene" kind of cut it was so awkward, like she made a deal or something. But as it is, I think she and her men were running away while Ramsey was still loving with the dog cages, because nobody in the scene was competent right then.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 5, 2014

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
The other crazy cut like that was in an earlier season when Dany's brodawgs go and try to infiltrate that city. They kill a guard, and then OMG 6 guards come and they just BARELY kill those 6 guards, luckily dodging attacks & saving each other's asses & relying on enemies missing & tripping over poo poo randomly. Then 50 guards enter the room. Cut to ... Dany owns the city.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Yeah that whole scene was bad, I just tell myself the door to Ramsays dungeon has a lock on he outside. Oh and I guess the rest of the Boltons in the castle a deaf.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Woden posted:

Yeah that whole scene was bad, I just tell myself the door to Ramsays dungeon has a lock on he outside. Oh and I guess the rest of the Boltons in the castle a deaf.

It's unfortunate because the fantasy special-ops sequence proceeding the bizarre ending of the whole sequence was actually really well done. It only went to poo poo when Ramsey showed them the key.

I really wish it ended differently because it was like Medieval Navy SEALS for the first couple minutes.

ED: Speaking of Theon, given the previews did anyone think last week that Reek was going to use him to kill Balon? Been waiting for that since the leech, was kind of shocked (but thought it was neat) they instead used him to just mop up Ironborne defense points.

Vehementi posted:

The other crazy cut like that was in an earlier season when Dany's brodawgs go and try to infiltrate that city. They kill a guard, and then OMG 6 guards come and they just BARELY kill those 6 guards, luckily dodging attacks & saving each other's asses & relying on enemies missing & tripping over poo poo randomly. Then 50 guards enter the room. Cut to ... Dany owns the city.

Didn't they say after that the 2nd wave that showed up decided to throw down their arms and help them open the gate? i.e. it was meant to end on a "They're hosed!" note and then find out that the guys surrounding them defected later. They were enslaved fodder-soldiers or something I think, weren't they?

I could be wrong here, but that's what I seem to recall.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 5, 2014

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

sforzacio posted:

Jon Snow is the final Cylon.

There must be some kind of way out of here

Said the Mad King to the thief

There's too much confusion

Oh god I've been stabbed by Jaime Lannister send help

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

marktheando posted:

He's certainly more famous for being a coke addled dickhead who hangs out at the groucho club than he is for any role he's done.

I heard coke addicted rear end in a top hat and Allen, wasn't sure who you were talking about, and had to google it out of curiosity. I expected Tim Allen's father.

the posted:

There must be some kind of way out of here

Said the Mad King to the thief

There's too much confusion

Oh god I've been stabbed by Jaime Lannister send help

I cannot even fathom a way to end GoT more terribly than BSG.

At least GoT is post-LOST. BSG wanted so hard to be LOST and to keep hyping "the mystery" when there was none. If this show was made 6-8 years earlier you'd probably have SHOCKING TWISTS about the white walkers.. every single episode.. often with information that can't add up in the end anyway.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 5, 2014

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Shath Hole posted:

Was this part of Theon's torture? Holy gently caress what is that?!

Real Talk: Lily Allen rules and has ruled for many years.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Vehementi posted:

The lack of budget to create a vibrant high fantasy world over on Dany's side of the water is really hurting that storyline, too. It's been reduced to an endless series of characters telling, rather than showing.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Vehementi posted:

Oh god, that scene. It didn't help that this was juxtaposed against the Red Wedding at the end of last season.

Someone compared the Yunkai infiltration to a level from Streets of Rage. It is dead accurate, and now I want that game.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

I cannot even fathom a way to end GoT more terribly than BSG.

At least GoT is post-LOST. BSG wanted so hard to be LOST and to keep hyping "the mystery" when there was none. If this show was made 6-8 years earlier you'd probably have SHOCKING TWISTS about the white walkers.. every single episode.. often with information that can't add up in the end anyway.

Ronald D Moore's GoT would have "the whitewalkers have a plan :smug:" in the intro, and at the end we find out the plan was hoping someone forgot to lock the door to the Wall or something.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

quote:

quote:

Bobo the Red posted:
The Mountain re-intro. The weird rape they never meant to be a rape. The background rapes at Craster's
I'm sending you a PM, no spoilers, just something interesting about that.

Could you send it to me, too?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I'm of the opinion that there's only so far she's going to go for Theon and decided to gently caress off and kill some farmers or something.

It's funny that a a plotline about a brother doing everything to avenge his sister was juxtaposed against a plotline about a sister who just gives up on her brother and goes, "Oh well I guess you win this one"

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
To be honest Theon was an rear end in a top hat even before he was broken. Plus he only went to 3rd base on the incest train, hardly a brother worth saving.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
I'm imagining a world in which Tyrion has to fight the Mountain himself and selects a crossbow as his weapon of choice. Or a pitcher of wildfire.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Globo-Hitler III posted:

I'm imagining a world in which Tyrion has to fight the Mountain himself and selects a crossbow as his weapon of choice. Or a pitcher of wildfire.

Tyrion wins the fight by cutting The Mountain's leg off with an axe like at the start of the siege battle. Cut to a shot of Tywin vomiting all over Circe as she looks on in shocked disbelief.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Tyrion wins the fight by cutting The Mountain's leg off with an axe like at the start of the siege battle. Cut to a shot of Tywin vomiting all over Circe as she looks on in shocked disbelief.

And then a man walks up and hands Tyrion a crisp $100 bill as the crowd erupts in applause.

That man's name? Albert Einstein.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

PantsBandit posted:

Haha seriously what in the gently caress. That girl has a strange relationship with her brother.

Aw, that was cute. Good thing he took her advice too.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Stepping out of this thread due to too many people not knowing where the line is. Might come back after the season.

But seriously, talking about sacrificing Shireen like it's a done deal? It's possible, but that's not the only thing the red god might want with her. Maybe he just needs another priestess. Melisandre started fairly early, right?

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
http://wegeekgirls.com/2014/06/04/game-of-thrones-4-new-stills-from-season-4-episode-9-the-watchers-on-the-wall/

Stills from the upcoming episode, if anyone is interested.

edit: A bunch more here

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/06/04/pictures-game-thrones-season-4-episode-9-watchers-wall/

Zippy the Bummer fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 5, 2014

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Elephanthead posted:

To be honest Theon was an rear end in a top hat even before he was broken. Plus he only went to 3rd base on the incest train, hardly a brother worth saving.

True. Still, you don't just cut another man's dick off. That's not cool bro. :colbert:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Stonefish posted:

Stepping out of this thread due to too many people not knowing where the line is. Might come back after the season.

But seriously, talking about sacrificing Shireen like it's a done deal? It's possible, but that's not the only thing the red god might want with her. Maybe he just needs another priestess. Melisandre started fairly early, right?

Maybe, but can you really blame this thread for assuming the worst?

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Stonefish posted:

If he needs another priestess, she could just loving say that. Not that we know for sure what Mel wants to do (or wants in general), but assuming Shireen is gonna be okay requires ignoring pretty much everything Melisandre has ever done on the show.

SoFarGone
Nov 2, 2011
Living well is the best revenge.

Yes it was a really bad scene. But I think maybe Ramsay let Yara go because killing/enslaving both Greyjoy heirs might provoke all out war with Balon and he was afraid of how Roose might react to that. He'd already taken enough of that risk just loving with Theon.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Don't think I've seen this

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I just think it was badly done, I don't think you can really rationalize it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SoFarGone posted:

Yes it was a really bad scene. But I think maybe Ramsay let Yara go because killing/enslaving both Greyjoy heirs might provoke all out war with Balon and he was afraid of how Roose might react to that. He'd already taken enough of that risk just loving with Theon.

Roose Bolton is Warden of the North, meaning that the Ironborn are at war with them. Hence the business at Moat Cailin (a strategically important fortress without which Roose cannot control the North).

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Lycus posted:

I just think it was badly done, I don't think you can really rationalize it.

This post works in regards to Peter Dinklage's massive mullet as well.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

SoFarGone posted:

But I think maybe Ramsay let Yara go because killing/enslaving both Greyjoy heirs might provoke all out war with Balon and he was afraid of how Roose might react to that. He'd already taken enough of that risk just loving with Theon.

I don't think Ramsay gives a gently caress about all-out war with the Ironborn. Every interaction he's had with them has involved breaking his promises of leniency, and then flaying them alive. The Boltons basically already are at war with them, and I'm pretty sure Ramsay welcomes the prospect of more.

On that point, I can't see Ramsay letting Yara go out of any consideration for Balon. He mailed Balon his son's genitals and called all Ironborn scum. He literally doesn't give a gently caress what they think or how angry they get.

And this is assuming Balon cares enough about Yara to go after her. He clearly didn't care about Theon (especially after being castrated.) And even if he respects Yara more, it's not like she's going to propagate the Greyjoy name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Yeah, that really was just wretched. My friend thought that she ran back to the boat because Ramsay released the dogs and they were being chased, but even if that's true, it still makes ZERO SENSE that she just stood there while he was talking/unlocking the cages. And those were the best men she had? Jesus Christ.

• Locked thread