Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

The base game doesn't offer switchable gearsets anywhere that I can't see, does it? If not is there an addon out there already?

If I can't switch my Medic's role at the drop of a hat I will be sad :(

That's planned for the "future" but it's not in officially. Could've sworn I saw an addon for that on Curse though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Ciaphas posted:

The base game doesn't offer switchable gearsets anywhere that I can't see, does it? If not is there an addon out there already?

If I can't switch my Medic's role at the drop of a hat I will be sad :(

Best you can do is turn off inventory sorting and leave your second set of gear at the bottom for fast swapping. Yes it's stupid.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I am sad :(

Oh well, I'm gonna be too busy loving around with picking a class and path in my seven days to worry about group content, I guess.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I had excess renown so I went and bought a scanbot vanity. Now its a bunnybot. Being a scientist is fun.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My GMG code still doesn't work, tells me its expired :(

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.

Velveteen posted:

I had excess renown so I went and bought a scanbot vanity. Now its a bunnybot. Being a scientist is fun.

It looks like you ripped the ears off an Aurin and hotglued them on your scanbot.

Which I totally approve

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Sab669 posted:

How does EXP gains work when you down-level to do an instance, or something?

I did the 15 adventure at 32 and got 1.5% of a level but a shitton of renown it might need to be tested but I think you get more for downleveling like that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Are my fellow Esper healers having to shoot out maximum healing output at all times to keep tanks up in dungeons? I was in a group that had to quit at the second boss of Stormtalon because I'd go oom roughly halfway through the fight. My insight was just at the second notch on my stat screen, while our stalker tank's tech was about halfway between the first and second so maybe our stats weren't sufficient. I was using a blue support weapon equal to my level, though.

Meditate wasn't helpful because I never really had an opportunity to use it. If I stopped healing for more than 2 ticks or so someone would die.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

You look like literally every roleplayer. :colbert:

I'm not an aurin, though. So I've got that going for me.

Kawakami
Jul 18, 2005
Got my ginvite, was told to post here as well. In game name is same as forum name.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Am I correct in guessing Engineers are the pet class of this game, with all the attendant problems of MMO combat pets (aggro risk, poo poo AI, micromanagement, questionable usefulness, etc)?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Ciaphas posted:

Am I correct in guessing Engineers are the pet class of this game, with all the attendant problems of MMO combat pets (aggro risk, poo poo AI, micromanagement, questionable usefulness, etc)?

If you set the bots on defend, they don't pull adds and/or attack things you're near. They all have passive dps and an active ability you can hit, plus they can come with some great buffs if you skill them up. Overall, I think that they are pretty unobjectionable compared to a lot of other MMO pets.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Edit: Nevermind, I don't know much about the pet class stuff yet.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 6, 2014

Lionguild
Sep 5, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Yes Engineers are the pet class.

Aggro risk? Very much so, luckily engineers do really good at aoe dps so pulling a bunch of dudes while questing can be beneficial.
poo poo AI? Of course.
Micromanagement? As someone who is poo poo at micro, "controlling" Engi pets has been no problem. They provide some passive dps and while active they provide a cd skill that functions like any other skill.
Usefulness? You should at the very least use one and using two is well worth it imo.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Just finished the Stormtalon dungeon. Gotta say, felt sort of...unrewarding for time spent? Like, it took 2 hours, and the stuff that dropped was a pair of claws for the stalker-tank(which he desperately needed apparently) and a Statue of Osiric for housing. Didn't feel like much in the way of money dropped, and most of the loot all round up amounted to about a gold once sold. Most of which was spent on repairing gear.

I mean drat it was fun and pretty drat hard, but the payoff was a little lackluster. Will probably do it again, though. :shobon:

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
My lady and I just bought the game, was wondering what the consensus was about what the class tiers are shaping up to be. I think she's gonna tank and I'm going to heal, so we're thinking engineer/medic, unless that sounds like a bad idea for some reason I cannot know yet.

Trudis fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 6, 2014

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Played for a while today after my GMG code started working.

In as a Chua / spellslinger / settler. TKFourTwoOne on Warbringer / Dominion.

I know Goon Squad is full, but are people dropping their alts off the clan so that more people with mains can get in? Or are we setting up another PVP guild?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

How are people finding this for performance? I'm running a Geforce GTX 760 (2GB I think), 8GB RAM, I5-4570 at 3.2GHz, and at 1920x1080 (native res, my monitor hates resolution changes) I can't quite hit 60 FPS even at ultra low detail settings. I know my system's not top of the line or anything but as assy as ultra-low looks I thought it'd do better than that. :(

(drat 120Hz monitor's going to waaaaste)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I've seen a decent boost in framerate over the course of beta, but they still have a ways to go.

However, they've already released some optimization patches this week and plan to do more.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

How are people finding this for performance? I'm running a Geforce GTX 760 (2GB I think), 8GB RAM, I5-4570 at 3.2GHz, and at 1920x1080 (native res, my monitor hates resolution changes) I can't quite hit 60 FPS even at ultra low detail settings. I know my system's not top of the line or anything but as assy as ultra-low looks I thought it'd do better than that. :(

The game runs fine for me until it decides to not run fine anymore. Then I get massive stuttering in the single digit frames on certain areas or activities. That sort of poo poo infuriates me.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Trudis posted:

My lady and I just bought the game, was wondering what the consensus was about what the class tiers are shaping up to be.
Well, if goons are to be believed:
Best healer: Medic
Best DPS: Medic
Best tank: Medic

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Ciaphas posted:

I forced DX9 on my two year-old laptop and at least get 30fps on medium to low settings, whereas I was getting mid-teens before that. Just add -dx9 to the end of the shortcut.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Stormtalon seems to be entirely over tuned for what your general MMO player can handle.

Instead of there being a mode properly tuned for PUGs, and a mode tuned for non-PUGs, the just tuned it to 'most players will just quit, the remaining players won't have a game to play because we will have no money and 1999 EQ sub levels can't pay for a game this expensive to make'.

So far the game is just better than WoW in every way except when it is trying to slit its own throat for no reason.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Cyclomatic posted:

Stormtalon seems to be entirely over tuned for what your general MMO player can handle.

Instead of there being a mode properly tuned for PUGs, and a mode tuned for non-PUGs, the just tuned it to 'most players will just quit, the remaining players won't have a game to play because we will have no money and 1999 EQ sub levels can't pay for a game this expensive to make'.

So far the game is just better than WoW in every way except when it is trying to slit its own throat for no reason.

I think that's a bit of an overreaction. Most of the playerbase is people very much used to standard MMO combat, which is a huge no-no in this game because you have to be constantly moving and dodging and aiming all of your poo poo, so it'll take some getting used to for everyone to get on the ball.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Fat Aggression posted:

It should work as long as you stay in the same zone. The cooldown changes depending how far from it you are, but unless they changed it that's how it works. Any sort of teleporting does seem to erase it though (if you transmat to somewhere else in the zone for example).

I've been using the explorer ability to port back to where I was after taking a scientist summon to kill a rare or group quest or whatever - it lasts through that teleport for me, at least.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ryan_woody posted:

I forced DX9 on my two year-old laptop and at least get 30fps on medium to low settings, whereas I was getting mid-teens before that. Just add -dx9 to the end of the shortcut.

Didn't improve performance any, though alt-tabbing got a lot smoother, so uh, thanks? :v:

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

The Shortest Path posted:

I think that's a bit of an overreaction. Most of the playerbase is people very much used to standard MMO combat, which is a huge no-no in this game because you have to be constantly moving and dodging and aiming all of your poo poo, so it'll take some getting used to for everyone to get on the ball.

That worked out really well for Blizzard when players got on the ball when they released Cataclysm.

Which is to say that expansion did terrible terrible things to their sub base.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Cyclomatic posted:

That worked out really well for Blizzard when players got on the ball when they released Cataclysm.

Which is to say that expansion did terrible terrible things to their sub base.

That's a pretty different situation. You're talking about a game that was already well established, and then changed. This is a new game that people just have to get used to. It's not like they're pulling the rug out from anyone.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

The Shortest Path posted:

Pretty sure most people have no idea how to tank.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there really no way to turn off sound while the game's in the background? (Besides muting it manually but :effort:)

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I thought adventures were much easier than dungeons after running the lv 15 and lv 25 one compared to the lv 20 dungeons. Then today I ran the lv 30 adventure in a PUG (I am stupid I know) and we got absolutely destroyed by everything. Some of the bosses were fairly easy and simple like the warbot and the medic. Then suddenly you meet this Aurin Esper that looks harmless at first with really weak attacks, then suddenly starts chain casting telegraphs targetted under a player. If you were to get hit by the telegraph you will get disoriented making you run/roll in all directions(onto your team) and sometimes back into the telegraph causing a chain reaction of death. Then there was this Granok Engineer who summoned a lot of bots and killed everyone. We were told we were supposed to interrupt the cast but we never manged to pull it off and then the group broke apart. The health pool of the bosses were really high as well so fights took a long time and our healer ran out of focus.

I'm not sure if its because I'm bad at tanking, the pugs I ran that were bad, or the dungeon is extremely hard for an uncoordinated pug. Maybe its a mixture of all three. Anyone know of how to tackle the dungeon? Or maybe some tips on how to tank as an engineer.

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."

Ciaphas posted:

Is there really no way to turn off sound while the game's in the background? (Besides muting it manually but :effort:)

Not yet. Either mute in game or mute it in the volume mixer.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:toot: Just hit 30. How many goons are level capped? Does the quantity of quests slow down later on? In the early / mid 20's I was fairly starved for quests then it picked back up again. Completely ran out at 29 then I decided to check Illium randomly and had a few that sent me to other places. Farside is so beautiful.

Bought this game on a whim to play with friends, 1-20 didn't wow me in any shape or form but the past 10 levels have been pretty fun. No ragrets.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
How do people 'run out of quests' when the map screen will literally tell you how many quests are left for you to do in the current zone?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

By completing or outleveling my active quests (usually this one) then not getting something that sends me to the next hub. So then I just wander around until I find something.

Garbo
May 30, 2011

Velveteen posted:

I thought adventures were much easier than dungeons after running the lv 15 and lv 25 one compared to the lv 20 dungeons. Then today I ran the lv 30 adventure in a PUG (I am stupid I know) and we got absolutely destroyed by everything. Some of the bosses were fairly easy and simple like the warbot and the medic. Then suddenly you meet this Aurin Esper that looks harmless at first with really weak attacks, then suddenly starts chain casting telegraphs targetted under a player. If you were to get hit by the telegraph you will get disoriented making you run/roll in all directions(onto your team) and sometimes back into the telegraph causing a chain reaction of death. Then there was this Granok Engineer who summoned a lot of bots and killed everyone. We were told we were supposed to interrupt the cast but we never manged to pull it off and then the group broke apart. The health pool of the bosses were really high as well so fights took a long time and our healer ran out of focus.

I'm not sure if its because I'm bad at tanking, the pugs I ran that were bad, or the dungeon is extremely hard for an uncoordinated pug. Maybe its a mixture of all three. Anyone know of how to tackle the dungeon? Or maybe some tips on how to tank as an engineer.

The level 30 adventure is an utterly unbalanced shitshow, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just skip it until 35 and Skullcano, which is a much better tuned Dungeon (even though it gets kinda trash heavy in parts).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Garbo posted:

The level 30 adventure is an utterly unbalanced shitshow, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just skip it until 35 and Skullcano, which is a much better tuned Dungeon (even though it gets kinda trash heavy in parts).

Speaking of Skullcano, I know the Yogscast folks are, as a rule, Bad At Video Games, but how representative was their video of Skullcano as far as, say, difficulty with a pick up group goes?

(the video)

Garbo
May 30, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of Skullcano, I know the Yogscast folks are, as a rule, Bad At Video Games, but how representative was their video of Skullcano as far as, say, difficulty with a pick up group goes?

(the video)

Low but still a little bit representative. They're terrible and play badly and miss obvious boss cues, but they do accurately reflect that you will probably die on the bosses a few times as you learn their patterns and stuff. Once you do that, though, the dungeon feels 100% doable and not very bullshitty. The run I did all of our deaths came from misplaying mechanics and not overtuned auto attack damage or something else.

-edit- The worst I can say is that Skullcano is super trash heavy on the backend. If they cut all the trash after the lava run by half you wouldn't lose much.

Garbo fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 6, 2014

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm thinking about jumping into this game tomorrow. I'm kind of sucked in by the art style and setting while wanting to be a sentient mech wearing heavy plate armor and a giant sword.

How are the goon guilds doing? I assume this is shard based from having seperate PVP/PVE servers. I assume I'll be joining the US PVE goon server, since I am mainly in this to PvE and make my house look pretty. How are you guys in the guild doing? Active, friendly, goony?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daemonlasher
Dec 31, 2012

SOULS?
So looking at this: http://i.imgur.com/NaNBVbE.jpg I have to ask people who are actually playing the game. How hard is this? Do you have to this this in sequential order? How bad is the poopsock truely. I really want to like Wildstar, I do; but I don't know if I can justify playing a sub-based game when I spend a lot of time practising League to stay competetive and have school/IRL obligations as well.

• Locked thread