Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Nope, I really like my Shark, never met anyone that complained about theirs either. Solid helmets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Shimrod posted:

Nope, I really like my Shark, never met anyone that complained about theirs either. Solid helmets.

Ditto. I've had my shark S800 for going on five years now. I'm sad that it's time to retire it.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
My shark speed-r is awesome.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Did some at-speed tests on the way home, and figured out something important about the RF 1100: if you have all the vents open and get a "whooshing" sounds, close the top 2 back vents, and it'll likely stop right away.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
I have a Shark S900C. It's got all the bells and whistles, internal sun visor, chin curtain, pin lock, air pump cheek pads. Probably the most comfortable helmet I tried with regard to wearing glasses and they don't interfere with the sun visor. Super easy rachet/buckle strap too.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I'm looking for a way to listen to music for longer trips. My old earbuds just broke yesterday, so I'm also looking for a replacement every day workout/conference call/airplane headphones. I'm thinking about these JayBirds. Do you guys think this will block out enough sound of my DR650 to keep me from going deaf, or should I look into something like a helmet rig to wear with earplugs?

edit: It does say it has "PureSound In-ear white noise and listener fatigue reduction. Eliminates the white noise and delivers a clean audio experience offering hours of pure enjoyment." So it blocks out some sound, but I don't know if that means jack on a motorcycle.

Professor Wayne fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 1, 2014

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Professor Wayne posted:

I'm looking for a way to listen to music for longer trips. My old earbuds just broke yesterday, so I'm also looking for a replacement every day workout/conference call/airplane headphones. I'm thinking about these JayBirds. Do you guys think this will block out enough sound of my DR650 to keep me from going deaf, or should I look into something like a helmet rig to wear with earplugs?

edit: It does say it has "PureSound In-ear white noise and listener fatigue reduction. Eliminates the white noise and delivers a clean audio experience offering hours of pure enjoyment." So it blocks out some sound, but I don't know if that means jack on a motorcycle.

My brother has those, I'll go test them out for you right now. I know in the gym I can barely hear weight clanging if at all when I have music going at a decent level but I haven't tried them out on my bike yet.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I ended up with a pair of the Bose ones (thanks to a friend who got me a ridiculous discount, otherwise gently caress their prices). Sound-cancelling is the absolute TITS for a motorcycle. I used Hearos before I got the Bose ones, and they were great, but if you want to listen to music/Sena/navigation stuff, earbuds are the way to go.

One thing, though. I know for some people, the helmet fit can make having anything in/over your ears excruciating after an hour of riding, so whatever you end up with, be sure to get something you can get a refund on if they turn out to hurt.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Ok so trip report. Getting them to stay in my ears was kind of a bitch while putting my helmet on, but once I did that they were fine and didn't fall out or anything. They have kind of a protruding design so YMMV, although I do have a pretty large head (I wear an XL shoei neotec).

As far as sound goes, they worked pretty drat good from what I could tell. I rode a CTX700 though so it's not a particularly loud or torquey bike. I was still able to hear the engine at higher revs but between the helmet and headphones it was pretty quiet and the music was still clear and enjoyable. Wind noise was next to nothing although I didn't go much faster than 55 and also my helmet is pretty quiet on its own when the visor is closed.

All in all, they are a nice product. I wish I could tell you more about the battery life but I just don't use them that often as they are my brother's.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Cool. Thanks for checking it out. I just ordered them, so we'll see in a few days how they work.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
For earbuds, getting something like an UnderArmor balaclava really helps them stay in. I had a thermal one for winter that was handy for that (also keeping my face from freezing), think I'm going to pick up one of the summer ones soonish too.

I might have lost one of my gloves (left all my gear at a friends' place, couldn't find it when I was packing up to come home yesterday), a pair of perforated leather Rev'It Monsters. I've been kinda thinking of replacing them anyways, as my hands get pretty sweaty in them summer. (Probably wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have bark busters blocking a lot of the wind, can't remove just the plate thingie that does most of the blocking though). On the other hand, not sure how good non-leather gloves are going to be in a crash, or how much (if at all) cooler they'd be. Any thoughts?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I had a pair of dainese MIGs that were supposed to be great summer gloves with leather/mesh hybrids and only poly knuckle guards for armor. After a month the stitching came loose in the palm for the leather and mesh join so instead of exchanging them for another pair I upgraded to a more protective glove. Reason being the summer gloves didn't really feel all that airy, although I like you have barkbusters that block most windflow over my hands. So they were pretty sweaty after riding anyway.

I ended up upgrading to a pair of 4-stroke evos: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-4-stroke-evo-gloves

And while they're definitely less comfortable they feel about as hot as the others while offering a lot more protection.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Pompous Rhombus posted:

For earbuds, getting something like an UnderArmor balaclava really helps them stay in. I had a thermal one for winter that was handy for that (also keeping my face from freezing), think I'm going to pick up one of the summer ones soonish too.

I might have lost one of my gloves (left all my gear at a friends' place, couldn't find it when I was packing up to come home yesterday), a pair of perforated leather Rev'It Monsters. I've been kinda thinking of replacing them anyways, as my hands get pretty sweaty in them summer. (Probably wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have bark busters blocking a lot of the wind, can't remove just the plate thingie that does most of the blocking though). On the other hand, not sure how good non-leather gloves are going to be in a crash, or how much (if at all) cooler they'd be. Any thoughts?

I've got a set of alpine drystars. They breath well and even with it being 90 today with no wind my hands weren't really sweating at all. Armored Knuckles and leather palms, reenforced finger padding, etc. No complaints really. Good gloves.

Not as good as a full race gauntlet but thats not really practical on the street.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
What's the CA Hivemind's opinion on motorcycle shoes?

I've got a pretty good pair of boots (Dririder Storms), but I'll only ever wear them when it's actively raining out because they suck to walk in and I have to take a pair of actual shoes with me (and a backpack to put them in). Would be nice to just have something like these that'd be comfortable to actually wear and would pass as normal shoes so I could have them on in the office.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Shouting Melon posted:

I've got a pretty good pair of boots (Dririder Storms), but I'll only ever wear them when it's actively raining out because they suck to walk in and I have to take a pair of actual shoes with me (and a backpack to put them in). Would be nice to just have something like these that'd be comfortable to actually wear and would pass as normal shoes so I could have them on in the office.

Why not just keep a nice pair of shoes at work and switch over in the morning? I don't see a need to transport boots and shoes back and forth every day.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
Because logic. :colbert:

Thought about doing that, but I ride to the train and then walk about a kilometer to work from the station, and even that gets kind of painful (lots of stairs, slippery tiled floors, etc.). It's really to just encourage me to wear more bike-appropriate footwear when the weather isn't poo poo.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Shouting Melon posted:

I've never seen a pair of motorcycle -shoes- in person, but doesn't the complete lack of ankle protection kind of almost defeat the purpose? That said, you're probably alot less likely to see your foot ground into a fine paste with those on vs. a pair of old chucks.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I have bike "shoes", but they do cover my ankles. They look a little like a pair of Chucks, actually. They're the cheapo waterproof Cortech Vice. I really like them. After they got broken in, they're pretty comfy to walk around in, and they are surprisingly waterproof for their price ($90).

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Professor Wayne posted:

Got the headphones in today. They're pretty great. They do stick out just enough to be slightly uncomfortable with a helmet, but I got used to it after five minutes or so. On a related note, I upgraded my Spotify account today. I should be working right now, but I'm too busy making playlists for rides. Hopefully these will last me a while; I'm sick of buying new headphones every six months.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Got stuck in broiling hot traffic yesterday and as I was sitting there, I began to hear the sweet siren's call of the squid. Please CA, help me resist hurtling towards my death in shorts, flip flops, and a sideways baseball cap :ohdear:

I'm one of them poors, so would something like this Xelement Jacket be adequate for 90 degree, 90% humidity weather?

Along the same lines, what's a good compromise between the full leather gauntlets I have now and fingerless mechanics gloves?

Edit:Fixed link

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 4, 2014

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

OSU_Matthew posted:

Got stuck in broiling hot traffic yesterday and as I was sitting there, I began to hear the sweet siren's call of the squid. Please CA, help me resist hurtling towards my death in shorts, flip flops, and a sideways baseball cap :ohdear:

I'm one of them poors, so would something like this Xelement Jacket be adequate for 90 degree, 90% humidity weather?

Along the same lines, what's a good compromise between the full leather gauntlets I have now and fingerless mechanics gloves?

Edit:Fixed link

I've never heard of that particular make before, but it seems to be pretty good quality from the looks and specs. You may want to look for mesh pants as well. Vented leather gauntlets are a thing too.

For extraordinarily hot days I've had good luck with dumping a bottle of water around my neck, chest, and arms. Gives about 20-30 minutes of an extraordinarily refreshing evaporative cooling sensation. There are cooling neck wraps with a gel substance on the inside that you soak in water. Supposedly they take longer to evaporate but I don't have any first hand experience with it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Xelement make excellent saddlebags for what it's worth. I would trust their quality.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

OSU_Matthew posted:

You may also want to consider Rev'It for reasonably priced hot weather gear. My Rev'It Airwave jacket and pants were fine in 85 degree weather today and should be good for much higher. I know they have mixed reviews for durability on advrider and I also know that the Rev'It Sand line has not tested very well in RiDE for abrasion protection so keep that in mind.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 4, 2014

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

OSU_Matthew posted:

Moisture wicking compression gear helps a lot but like most perf gear, you need air flow to cool off. If you arent moving, you arent being cooled. At 90% humidity, the compression gear might not help out either. There was some nice pdf circulating around talking about being cooled on a bike, wish I had the link for you.

Correction:

If the wind isnt evaporating from the compression gear, you arent being cooled.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I live in an area like that now, and the only thing you can really do is ride late night/early morning. :(

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I just picked up an Arai RX-Q for $359.99 shipped on closeout. I just wanted to point that out if anyone else is interested in a good deal on the RX-Q. There is only one graphic available at that price and I'm not sure the manufacture date.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/47598/i/arai-rx-q-vibe-helmet

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Yuns posted:

You may also want to consider Rev'It for reasonably priced hot weather gear. My Rev'It Airwave jacket and pants were fine in 85 degree weather today and should be good for much higher. I know they have mixed reviews for durability on advrider and I also know that the Rev'It Sand line has not tested very well in RiDE for abrasion protection so keep that in mind.

I'll throw my 2 cents in that while the Airwave jacket vents well, they cheaped out on the zipper and it barely lasted a season. I can still wear it, but only if I leave the side adjustment straps way out so it's really baggy/doesn't put any kind of lateral force at all on the bottom of the zipper. Would not buy again, probably goes for any Rev'It jacket.

The Airwave pants have been great though, and I'm pretty sure I lost one of my Monster's (Rev'It's perf'd leather gloves) this weekend, probably going to replace it with their newer Bomber... if I can find them in stock in a Large anywhere, that is.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 5, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

M42 posted:

I live in an area like that now, and the only thing you can really do is ride late night/early morning. :(

Bonus: there's no traffic late night / early morning.

Although you're in DC, so no traffic means near-gridlock.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

What kind of helmet is good for a moped? My friend got one and I want her to have a helmet, but she's being really goddamned stubborn about it. Bicycle helmet? 3/4 helmet? Full face? I'm not sure if it's a moped or scooter, not that it matters.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Schroeder91 posted:

What kind of helmet is good for a moped? My friend got one and I want her to have a helmet, but she's being really goddamned stubborn about it. Bicycle helmet? 3/4 helmet? Full face? I'm not sure if it's a moped or scooter, not that it matters.

Fullface is always the answer (cue that graphic with the impact zone percentages), but it sounds like you might have a really tough time selling her on it.

Anything is better than nothing, find something that appeals to her sense of style if you can. Bicycle helmets will provide the least protection and look universally dorky, so that's not really a good starting point.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Full face helmet. Show her this video she should stop being stubborn. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_0fUTO6JH8 (open face helmet)

If she still doesn't go for it, maybe a modular will be an easier sell.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Full face all day. If she's worried about how it looks maybe find one that matches the paint

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Really push a full face but ultimately this:

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Anything is better than nothing, find something that appeals to her sense of style if you can. Bicycle helmets will provide the least protection and look universally dorky, so that's not really a good starting point.

You gotta buy the gear you'll wear. A full face helmet is worthless on the shelf at home.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Schroeder91 posted:

Get her into one of those new bells that's all hipstertastic but full face. It's a nice helmet from just handlin' it.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I'll take her to cycle gear and find something. Unfortunately she can't afford it right now so I'll be buying it and I can't afford anything special. I'll push full face, but I bet she'll want a ¾.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I know a moped guy -- and I'd like to stress how much of a moped guy he is, he buys and fixes and sells mopeds, owns like 5, started a moped club which is now fairly well attended I believe -- and he rides with a modern full face.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Not to pile on, but I am going to pile on. People get weird about gear because it isn't fast relative to other vehicles. Skin and bone isn't built for moped speeds.

Imagine sprinting balls out. I mean everything you have into a run, and that's going to be like 15 miles an hour unless you're a runner.

Now imagine tripping and face planting on concrete.

Now double the speed.

Full face is the way to go.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Or imagine getting hit by a car blowing a red light at 30 mph.

Imagine the same thing happening on a moped.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Been using an HJC CL-16 for three seasons now and I'm ready to step it on up. Not quite ready to jump into $300+ territory though. I'm looking at the HJC FG-17 and I'm liking it. Can anyone share their experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

nsaP posted:

You gotta buy the gear you'll wear. A full face helmet is worthless on the shelf at home.

Yeah, this is essentially it. I realized it sometime in college when I was sick of wearing a helmet on my bicycle cause they always felt heavy and fit like crap, and I decided to buy a really nice one, and suddenly I had no problem wearing a helmet any more.

Schroeder91, have her at least get a 3/4 helmet but I agree with z3n -- the retro-styled full-faces are going to be leagues better than any 3/4 or half helmet, and only worse than a more sporty-looking full-face in marginal or theoretical ways. That Bell Bullitt helmet for instance would be great.

If you get a 3/4, make sure to get one with a really strong-looking visor that goes down all the way to the bottom of her chin. It's not as good as a chin bar but it might break the impact or help her head roll better should she crash on her face with the visor down and locked. Better than nothing.

If the attitude is less "I don't want to look like a motorcycle racer" and more "I don't want to wear a helmet at all", I would start encouraging her to not have a moped. Fun fact: if you are six feet tall, and you're standing upright in place not moving, and someone kicks your feet out from underneath you, your head is travelling fast enough when it hits the ground to fracture your skull and kill you. "I'm not going very fast" is never an acceptable argument for not wearing a helmet while on an open moving vehicle.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 6, 2014