Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Shbobdb posted:

It's definitely a mixed fermentation of some sort. He mentions using a lot of overripe bananas for his dunder while other people will use all kinds of crazy stuff like bats. Bananas make sense as a great source for sugars and esters to keep both the culture happy and kickstart all those good flavors. Just curious to see what more there is to it.

Yeah I'm sure that's part of it then. There's been some similar studies into how terroir falls into play for wine and cheese and from what we know so far it's to do with the microbiological residents on the grapes or on the cheese rinds which can be different in different areas vs others. This is why you can have the same initial ingredients and very different flavor outcomes. Same for sourdough starters from different locations. I didn't know that was a thing for rum too, pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Anyone in the trade (or with access to booze related journals -- I'm looking for ic davis or siebel people gère) gavé any papiers on this?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Shbobdb posted:

It's definitely a mixed fermentation of some sort. He mentions using a lot of overripe bananas for his dunder while other people will use all kinds of crazy stuff like bats. Bananas make sense as a great source for sugars and esters to keep both the culture happy and kickstart all those good flavors. Just curious to see what more there is to it.
He talked a bit about why he used bananas in response to a review. Sounds like it started as a time savings measure but if done right should have a much more controlled and repeatable result.

quote:

My job as a distiller is to give my customers the best product I can – period. Knowing I wanted to tackle the high-ester world, meant going down the strange rabbit hole of dunder.
While you are correct that traditionally the dunder pits are years in the rotting, if I had taken that traditional approach I would have had to offer my customers incomplete product while I waited for the pit to rot. Furthermore, I would have had one heck of problem with the local health inspector – and I would need dead bats inoculate my bacteria. : )
To solve these issues I asked the question of what is the purpose of the dunder. The answer is volatile acidity. The carboxylic acids made by the bacteria while working on the dunder are precursors to yummy esters made in the fermentation.
The next question is why does this take so long? The answer is that the waste from the still is already very acidic (with low volatility acids that wont help our ester process) and bacteria multiply extremely slowly in high acid environments. Therefore if we could give the bacteria a food they could work on more efficiently we could get the same results without waiting for years. Enter overripe bananas (by the way they do this with banana and jack fruit in Jamaica as well).
This begs the final question, which is can we control this! Classic dunder pits are grown using wild bacteria. Since each acid gives a unique ester and flavor, each bacteria strain would make a totally different rum. From there I was able to ask the question of what types of eatery flavors do I want in the rum?
I arrived at a target group of esters and thus a target group of acids, and then read papers looking for bacteria strains that would produce those acids in high concentrations, be safe to work around, and also be able to thrive in my “dunder.” Once I isolated a few strains, I grew them in the lab and then raised them in my bananas. This process achieved a target acidity, with great efficiency and allowed me artistic control by choosing my bacterias and thus flavors – something I could never get with wild bacteria.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

That sounds really loving fun.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah that dude sounds like a really smart guy who loves his job. It's fortunate for us that the end result of him loving his job and being a smart guy is delicious rum.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
This thread makes me want to buy even more rum, which is frightening since I am running out of room in my home bar.

I have a deep rooted love of rum. The first time I ever tried rum was 21yr old El Dorado rum when I was 15. Honestly, I thought all rum tasted like it did. The next rum I had was Bacardi Gold,which was quiet a shock.

Now my rum collection keeps growing.

Rum - Aged:

Ron Zacapa 23
El Dorado 21 Year Old
Angostura 1824
HAVANA CLUB SELECCION DE MAESTROS
BACARDI RESERVA LIMITADA
Flor de Cana 18yr
Barbancourt 15yr

Rum - White:

El Dorado 6 Year Old Silver Rum
Leblon Cachaca
DOMAINE DE MARQUISAT DE STE MARIE RHUM LONGUETEAU

Rum - Spiced:

Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
Cruzan No. 9 Spiced Rum
Hurricane Harry’s Spiced Rum
Sailor Jerry’s

Rum - Standard:

Mount Gay Rum
Blackwell Gold Rum
Diplomatico Reserva
Grand Reserve Plantation Rum
Mount Gay XO
Angostura 1919
El Dorado 12 Year Old
Cruzan Single Barrel

Devoz fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 2, 2014

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
How do you like that Cruzan Single Barrel compared to their other offerings? My latest bottle was the Cruzan 151 and it reminds me quite a bit of scotch.

I don't know why I never thought of it before but I stopped in my local liquor store and asked about special ordering stuff. Gave her my name, number and the three I was looking for (Smith and Cross, El Dorado and that Lost Spirits stuff). It's been the better part of a week and no call back yet though. :smith:

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Devoz posted:

This thread makes me want to buy even more rum, which is frightening since I am running out of room in my home bar.

How's the Bacardi? I've seen their "8" and "Ron Solera" but never could make myself try them, mainly because the name.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

How do you like that Cruzan Single Barrel compared to their other offerings? My latest bottle was the Cruzan 151 and it reminds me quite a bit of scotch.

Uuuauu god man, the single barrel is so much better than any of their others. I think it may be my favorite rum overall. Funny thing about the 151 is that it's brutal, but compared to Bacardi 151 it's not only cheaper, but far more drinkable. I remember doing ill-advised 151 shots with my friends years back and the Cruzan one caused about 75% less violent coughing than Bacardi, and became an equally ill-advised household staple for a while.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If you are gonna rock high proof rum, you've gotta go with Stroh "80". 80% alcohol baby! Wray & Nephew is 63% booze and ain't shabby. But Stroh baby, gotta love them Austrians.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

If you are gonna rock high proof rum, you've gotta go with Stroh "80". 80% alcohol baby! Wray & Nephew is 63% booze and ain't shabby. But Stroh baby, gotta love them Austrians.

A shot of stroh was only mildly better than a shot of diesel. How they drink that with dr pepper I do not know

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006

krustster posted:

How's the Bacardi? I've seen their "8" and "Ron Solera" but never could make myself try them, mainly because the name.

Uuuauu god man, the single barrel is so much better than any of their others. I think it may be my favorite rum overall. Funny thing about the 151 is that it's brutal, but compared to Bacardi 151 it's not only cheaper, but far more drinkable. I remember doing ill-advised 151 shots with my friends years back and the Cruzan one caused about 75% less violent coughing than Bacardi, and became an equally ill-advised household staple for a while.

I have only tried the Cruzan single barrel, and it is a drat fine rum. For the money it is one of the best rums you can find in my opinion.

The Bacardi rum is an amazing rum, with an incredible depth. The taste was more toffeeish/caramelly and very dry from the woodiness, with a spicy finish that lingered for a long time.

It is unlike anything else from Bacardi, in a very good way.

poliander
Oct 31, 2013

krustster posted:

Whatever floats your boat man, but I can't imagine adding more sugar to something that's already essentially made of sugar in the first place. What's your rum of choice for this diabetic concoction?

Captain Morgan .... If i wasn't a retard i would be able to link an image ... sigh ... But yeah. Cheap rear end entertainment :).

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

poliander posted:

Captain Morgan .... If i wasn't a retard i would be able to link an image ... sigh ... But yeah. Cheap rear end entertainment :).

Jeez, you know you could just have a rum and coke with the handy 8oz cans they sell now, and end up consuming less sugar? And once you're there, Captain Morgan is pretty pleasant in a Cuba Libre, if you don't mind paying crazy prices for limes right now.

(Of course, you could also get a nice sipper like Plantation Barbados in roughly the same price range, but you could also stick to sugary cocktails and improve on that.)

poliander
Oct 31, 2013

cbirdsong posted:

Jeez, you know you could just have a rum and coke with the handy 8oz cans they sell now, and end up consuming less sugar? And once you're there, Captain Morgan is pretty pleasant in a Cuba Libre, if you don't mind paying crazy prices for limes right now.

(Of course, you could also get a nice sipper like Plantation Barbados in roughly the same price range, but you could also stick to sugary cocktails and improve on that.)

Oh for sure :). Thing is i do not eat much raw sugar (or rather sugar as in cakes and such), so when i do something like that i tend to overdose :).
I do enjoy rum and coke a lot. Only problem with that is that i never have any coke around when i need it (or usually, i really don't do much of fizzy drinks ... quite odd)

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Hello you Rum lovers! I got invited to this Rum place tomorrow, alot I've seen before but they tend to be the basic ones. Was wondering if you could recommend any of these for me to try when I go there?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

They've got a decent selection there. I'd try the Coruba (which is listed as Ron Coruba, even though it shouldn't be, since Jamaica is an English-speaking Island), Plantation Barbados 5 year, Banks 5 Island, and Pusser's. Beyond that the Mt. Gay XO will be nice to try, as would Pampero Anniversario and Angostura 1919.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Fluo posted:

Hello you Rum lovers! I got invited to this Rum place tomorrow, alot I've seen before but they tend to be the basic ones. Was wondering if you could recommend any of these for me to try when I go there?

Where is this?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Kenning posted:

They've got a decent selection there. I'd try the Coruba (which is listed as Ron Coruba, even though it shouldn't be, since Jamaica is an English-speaking Island), Plantation Barbados 5 year, Banks 5 Island, and Pusser's. Beyond that the Mt. Gay XO will be nice to try, as would Pampero Anniversario and Angostura 1919.

Cheers I missed Pusser's as I got a bottle at home but tried everything else. :D

Wachter posted:

Where is this?

The Cuban, they got one in Bristol and one in Camden (London). The food I've never touched but always got recommended it for the drinks. :D The one I went to was in Bristol is good but there is better rum places about the UK! :D

Fluo fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 9, 2014

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Lost Spirits recently released a 'Polynesian inspired' rum with the same mash bill as the Navy Style, but engineered to be light and fruity. Details are here: http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2014/5/7/more-poly-rum-info.html

The Navy Style is incredibly deep and rich, so I'm curious what the results will be when they tweak the process to make something lighter.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh man it feels like the craft guys are finally getting into rum in a serious way. This is exciting, but also a little bit worrisome, because I've already seen rum prices creep up across the board in the last year, for really the first time in like 5 years. Flor de Caña Extra Dry for $17! I guess that's just life.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Run to Brandy. That is still super cheap. A regular go-to drink for both drinking and cooking is E&J XO. It is ~$9-$12 depending where I can pick it up in the Bay Area and is deliciously oaky. Sure, that oakiness is hiding some cheap higher alcohols but, hey, a good drink for under $15 is a steal! French brandies are also undervalued. Trader Joe's has a good one for under $15 and if you look you can find world class ones for $20-30. It's a good way to save on cash while deliciously destroying brain cells.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Can anyone suggest a rum that will give me an instant palette to understand what the hell you guys are talking about?

I have a bottle of Appleton's 250th Anniversary that my dad purchased before he passed (2005) unopened and I would love to actually enjoy it someday.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Honestly I've never been a particular fan of Appleton, and I'm a rum fiend. What is your background in spirits tasting? Lots of people need to learn the proper technique to enjoy a spirit, since it's not necessarily intuitive. Like, there's a physical technique to tasting that can be taught. You take a small sip, and hold it on your tongue, near the tip. Then after a moment you let is disperse over the broad of your tongue. Sometimes you can "chew" it a bit, to move it around your mouth a little – I do this about half the time. Then you slowly swallow it, and then exhale back over your tongue. It's amazing what that process does for your access to complex flavors. Beyond that it's about developing a flavor vocabulary for understanding what the spirit is doing. The most important thing in that respect is to not feel ashamed. If you taste wood shavings, let yourself taste that. If you smell coconut, say coconut. If you find yourself thinking about a grassy field in summer, you may be tasting that grassy field. It's okay.

Shbobdb posted:

Run to Brandy. That is still super cheap. A regular go-to drink for both drinking and cooking is E&J XO. It is ~$9-$12 depending where I can pick it up in the Bay Area and is deliciously oaky. Sure, that oakiness is hiding some cheap higher alcohols but, hey, a good drink for under $15 is a steal! French brandies are also undervalued. Trader Joe's has a good one for under $15 and if you look you can find world class ones for $20-30. It's a good way to save on cash while deliciously destroying brain cells.

Sorry man, I'm familiar with Easy Juice, and it's not worth the entry fee for me. I know there are some undervalued French brandies, but it's mostly of the "this $35 brandy should cost $50!" variety, rather than the "this is a fantastic spirit for $15" variety. Rum is still the place to go for inexpensive quality, it's just becoming a bit less so in the last couple years.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 11, 2014

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
That was actually great advice and I will try that!

I'm not a huge fan or normal Appleton estate either but from what I've gathered this particular bottle was pricey and I would like to enjoy it the way it's meant to be and not just throw it in cocktails like I would Captain Morgan or something similar.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So I need a recommendation for a lovely rum for a prank.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Herr Tog posted:

I mean, bottom shelf bacardi? :shrug:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Herr Tog posted:

Whatever's cheapest? Ron Rico or Castillo if you don't want the overwhelming smell of rubbing alcohol.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I would rather drink Ron Rico than Bacardi. I have no pallet and still know Bacardi is terrible.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Stultus Maximus posted:

Whatever's cheapest? Ron Rico or Castillo if you don't want the overwhelming smell of rubbing alcohol.

Oh no I want whatever is worse that rubbing alcohol.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Herr Tog posted:

Oh no I want whatever is worse that rubbing alcohol.

Buy cheap rum, drinkin half, replace half with everclear.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
Bacardi 151 is a special kind of terrible.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

St. Elmo

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

This may be heretical on multiple counts (and I'll admit I've never even had Gosling, :quebec:) but of everything I've tried with Smith & Cross, a dark and stormy with the right kind of ginger beer (i.e. strong but not overpowering... I like some kinda "Old Jamaican" in a green bottle, gonna try to make my own sometime) is amazing.

Now I think I used 2oz/3oz/0.5oz lime but... I don't really remember. I ran out a couple of months ago and have to wait until I go visit the states to get a single bottle (border crap, duty on extras would be like 60 bucks per), they don't have it up here at all. :smith:

Also makes for an interesting float on a Stormy Mai Tai (i.e. the "let's drink straight-up bitters" cocktail... obscure but delicious). And I know these are both things where a less special rum can generally do the job, but I'm really into how its funky nature dukes it out with other strong flavours without tasting like rear end or barrel the way some other strong rums do.

Anyway, I did get some Flor de Cana 12 year from a friend who couldn't find the S&C though. It's really pleasant to sip on. I'm curious, can it mix with anything at all? I haven't tried because it seems way too delicate, but maybe that's just because it's my first non-Jamaican or Martinique.

Culinary Bears fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 15, 2014

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

St. Elmo

Perfect

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Glad I could be of service. I guess.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
I just popped the bottle of Havana Club 7 that I brought back from my honeymoon last year because what the hell. This stuff possesses notes that I didn't know were possible in rum.

Aroma: Fresh-baked apple pie. Seriously.

Taste: An initial hit of clover honey and sweet spice giving way to fresh melon and coconut water.

Finish: A big hit of cloves, baked apples (there's the apple pie again!), and bourbon vanilla.

Summary: A bright, lively spirit, and a great contrast to the more refined rums in my collection (Barbancourt 15, Abuelo 8). Next up: The Flor de Cana 7 that I brought back from a more recent trip to Florida.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I just popped the bottle of Havana Club 7 that I brought back from my honeymoon last year because what the hell. This stuff possesses notes that I didn't know were possible in rum.

Aroma: Fresh-baked apple pie. Seriously.

Taste: An initial hit of clover honey and sweet spice giving way to fresh melon and coconut water.

Finish: A big hit of cloves, baked apples (there's the apple pie again!), and bourbon vanilla.

Summary: A bright, lively spirit, and a great contrast to the more refined rums in my collection (Barbancourt 15, Abuelo 8). Next up: The Flor de Cana 7 that I brought back from a more recent trip to Florida.

Looks like I'm picking this up with my next paycheque then. This month was Diplomatico Exclusiva Reserva. Last month was Smith & Cross.

I love this thread.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Man, Lemon Hart 151 is something else. Really amazing in a daiquiri.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
So, I thought it would be interesting try to a vertical review of a rum distillery. El Dorado rum was the best choice, as I have the most options for the tasting.

What is interesting about El Dorado is that they use a number of different stills to make the rum blends. They are nice enough to give you a general idea of what stills are featured in what rum. See below:

Based on what I had on hand, I picked out El Dorado 8yr, 12yr, 15yr and 21yr.

In terms of which order I would rank them, after tasting them all blind, would be #1) 21yr, #2) 8yr, #3) 15yr, and #4) 12yr. That is not to say the 12yr is a bad rum, it is actually very good.

8yr old: compared to the other rums, it had very little in the way of wood notes. Pecans, brown sugar and molasses. It is a very smooth and light rum. This makes a very good mixer or sipping rum.

12yr old: brown sugar, notes of wood, vanilla and cinnamon would be the major flavors I tasted with this rum.

15yr old: the driest of the four rums. Tastes of maple syrup and chocolate notes.

21yr old: this is one of my favorite rums, it is wonderfully smooth. Toffee, brown sugar and oak. If you get a chance, try this rum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I bought a bottle of the Lost Spirits Polynesian rum today. It's cask strength and made with banana dunder and baking molasses like their Navy Style rum, but aged in Riesling seasoned oak barrels instead of sherry seasoned ones. The difference between the two is obvious before you even open the bottle as the Polynesian is much lighter than the Navy Style, which is almost black. First thing I think of when tasting the Polynesian is light brown sugar, maple syrup and freshly cut grass like you would get from an Agricole. Also some hints of guava or some other delicate tropical fruit. Intensity of the flavors and aromas is off the chart and the mouthfeel is thick and smooth. Surprisingly smooth in the mouth for being 132 proof, but not quite as smooth as the Navy Style. I've read that it was engineered to be served on ice or mixed, but I haven't had a chance to try it that way yet.

Overall I think it's definitely worth the money and a fun contrast to the Navy Style.

• Locked thread