Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Advent Horizon posted:

Anybody else do their taxes yet? We found out last week that our rental needs a new roof, so a tax refund is high on the list of needs right now. I have no clue how we missed the AMT with all the credits and deductions this year, but TurboTax let me take the credit for installing an EVSE.

New roof: $8-11,000 depending on whether we do the tear-off and anything else needs repairing. Refund: $11,319. loving hell.

Oh, and per TurboTax, anyone taking the EV credit can't file until February 6th. FYI.

I owe almost $4,000.

First really profitable year my business has had. I really should be paying quarterly because this is gonna suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

angryhampster posted:

I owe almost $4,000.

First really profitable year my business has had. I really should be paying quarterly because this is gonna suck.

If you think that sucks wait until you are paying 25k 4 times a year when all the cash is going back into the business.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

If you think that sucks wait until you are paying 25k 4 times a year when all the cash is going back into the business.

Ouch. That's pretty rough. My business is a just a weekend thing I do a few times a year.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I bought a most assembled Open EVSE kit and it is pretty awesome. I can switch out the plug with a twist lock connector and charge on L1 or L2 depending upon what circuit I have available. I bought mine assembled except for the power cord and charge cable which I already had for 172 bucks, it would have been 150 without the lcd screen. https://code.google.com/p/open-evse/ The guy I bough mine from posts them on mynissanleaf.com. The forum is full of twits so go straight to the for sale section. You have been warned.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So apparently there's some rumors that a 2.0 of the model S is going to come out when the model X launches and will be AWD since it'll share the same motors with the performance model hitting 3.2 sec and updated seating. Anyone else hear anything about this?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ColoradoCleric posted:

So apparently there's some rumors that a 2.0 of the model S is going to come out when the model X launches and will be AWD since it'll share the same motors with the performance model hitting 3.2 sec and updated seating. Anyone else hear anything about this?

Only rumors. Some photos of the Model X test mule have been circulated, with a Model S having ballast on top and a version of the Model X undercarriage. It seems like an easy leap to a Model S P85++.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Looks like the AeroVironment network went to a pay model as of the 1st. The DC charger I've been using by my house since May wouldn't authenticate me. At first the number it gave me was for a totally different network, which threw me, but after I called AV, they let me know it's no longer free. Which is great, since the charger was frequently swamped around here. Problem is it's 7.50 for a single use or 20 for monthly unlimited. At my current driving mileage and efficiency for work, I'm doing about 4.5 miles per kWh and 44 miles a day and paying 0.10 a kWh for charging, so call it a buck a day. To break even at those prices, I'd need to pop over to the charger every day after work. I realize there's a convenience fee for how quick it is, but there's no incentive for me to lose 30 minutes of my day to not trickle charge at home and still pay the same amount.

The 7.50 one shot isn't terrible. It's cheaper than a fillup of gas I suppose, even when you account for the smaller "tank", and I'd only use that every month or two when I need to head north and can't get onto one of the metered ChargePoint hookups while watching a movie or shopping. If the monthly unlimited was a bit more competitive, I'd probably give it a go and rearrange my schedule to include charging up before work or something, but unless you need to use it multiple times in a day, I can't imagine it being worthwhile.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Chevy Volt realtalk: I was on break, taking a walk around the parking lot, walked right past my own car, AND DIDNT EVEN NOTICE IT WAS THERE.

gently caress me, it's boring.

parid
Mar 18, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Chevy Volt realtalk: I was on break, taking a walk around the parking lot, walked right past my own car, AND DIDNT EVEN NOTICE IT WAS THERE.

Your boring scale may need recalibrating. Have you driven an early 2000nds Toyota lately?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

parid posted:

Your boring scale may need recalibrating. Have you driven a n early 2000nds Toyota lately?

Fixed for you. :colbert:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

parid posted:

Your boring scale may need recalibrating. Have you driven an early 2000nds Toyota lately?

I did dry heave a little when I saw this commercial for the first time, if that counts.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

MrYenko posted:

I did dry heave a little when I saw this commercial for the first time, if that counts.

Why is the LFA in this advertisement? It hasn't been sold in a couple years..

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

angryhampster posted:

Why is the LFA in this advertisement? It hasn't been sold in a couple years..

It's the only thing about Lexus that is remotely exciting?

(Even the LFA, possibly one of the best supercars ever built, manages to be boring.)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

MrYenko posted:

Time for a paint job, then.

Break out the rattle-cans and some tape, and make your car DAZZLING!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of dazzling patterns and Volts: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/15/2016-chevy-volt-spy-shots/

So the 2nd Gen Volt will wear a new nose and the shape has less edges. Still looks to be a liftback but more rounded for sure.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Thwomp posted:

Speaking of dazzling patterns and Volts: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/15/2016-chevy-volt-spy-shots/

So the 2nd Gen Volt will wear a new nose and the shape has less edges. Still looks to be a liftback but more rounded for sure.

Hopefully they either get rid of that awful black trim thing or else turn it into a real window like on the concept.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I've been catching up on this thread, there's been some good data on cost comparisons, cheers for that. I've got some questions for owners about viability though (for my circumstance), as well as creature comforts. I'm going to be moving soon, for work, and the new work facility has EV charging points in the parking lot. I'll be working a 4x4 12hr/day shift pattern and won't have access to charging at home, at least initially. I'm going to need to buy a car, and the whole free charging at work thing has got my interest. I'd have at most a 40km (25 mile) each way commute, so say 50 miles total, and when I'm on nights I might look into taking the commuter train, and during the summer probably motorbike. How does, for example, a Leaf handle sitting outside without charging for days, possibly weeks at a time? Has anyone got any experience with them through year-round Toronto weather? The idea of sitting in a car in rush hour Greater Toronto traffic has me strongly biased towards creature comforts, so how's a Leaf to be stuck in? Comfortable? Good stereo? I'm saying Leaf because I have an old friend who's wife works for Nissan Canada, so I might be able to get a deal through them.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
This thread is looking pretty dead right now, but I figured I'd post anyway.

I am very interested in making my next car a full electric (or electric drive with on board gas generator like the volt). I'm trying very hard to squash the part of my brain that says the Tesla Model S is too much money, while at the same time checking my finances to see if it's at all feasible to afford. I wish there was more of a middle ground, i.e. Tesla power and range, but $40k cheaper with less (admittedly very cool) bells and whistles. The Model X also looks cool, but that's not available for at least another 15 months (compared to if I ordered an S today I wouldn't have it until September).

Does anything else come close for power and range with less of a wallet punch? Is it really that amazing of a car that it's worth a car payment a little over half what I pay on my mortgage?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
There's nothing else purely EV that's close. Are you looking at the 60kWh or 85kWh model?

BMW is coming out with a 3 series that's supposed to be the best MPGe out there, but it's only a modest increase in range over the Leaf, and still a large drop from either Tesla model. Keep in mind that a lot of the cost of the Tesla isn't just being a really nice EV - it's still a luxury cart at its heart, and you're paying for that the same as if you dropped cash for a 7 series BMW or other spendy luxury sedan. Do your driving habits routinely take you beyond the range that the standard EV cars can take you?

I love the Tesla, but for that price, I can get a loaded Leaf and a beater gas guzzler for longer trips and still pocket the 20-30k difference. It's a luxury car for people that want to drive EVs, but don't want to look like they're driving EVs.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Yeah that's kind of the conclusion I have been reaching. I can buy a fully loaded EV, along with a 4X4 Tacoma for longer trips/hauling poo poo, and still have extra cash left over. My current daily is fun as hell to drive, but chugs premium gas to the tune of an average 15MPG. My girlfriend just got a 2011 Rav4 to replace her '99 camry, so we can use her car for longer trips with the bikes and dogs and I would mostly be driving my 50 mile RT commute. I also have as 5kW solar setup on my house that will have paid for itself in a couple more months, so I wanted to take advantage of essentially driving for free instead of the $200/mo in gas I spend now.

It's sweet that I can preheat the car from my bed with an ipad interface, but I really just want a decent 0-60 time and either good electric range, or an onboard generator for when I unexpectedly need to drive an extra 100 miles one day or forget to plug it in at night.

Hillridge fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 5, 2014

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Well, for what it's worth, the Leaf with Carwings (SV and SL models I believe) can allow you to preheat the car from your phone and has all EV cars have a decent 0-60 time since there's no gearing, but doing so will suck your battery. I'm not going to win any races but I can dash off the line in my Leaf when I don't care about my mileage.

There's nothing to do about the latter one, though. I've gotten over my range anxiety after a year, and I've only ever forgotten to plug it in once.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The Rav 4 EV has a slightly better range then the leaf but no where near Tesla p85 range. That is the only non Tesla I would consider over a cheap used leaf. A prius is better then all of the EV though, buy a prius and a corvette.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Linedance posted:

How does, for example, a Leaf handle sitting outside without charging for days, possibly weeks at a time? Has anyone got any experience with them through year-round Toronto weather? The idea of sitting in a car in rush hour Greater Toronto traffic has me strongly biased towards creature comforts, so how's a Leaf to be stuck in? Comfortable? Good stereo? I'm saying Leaf because I have an old friend who's wife works for Nissan Canada, so I might be able to get a deal through them.

Sorry I missed this earlier!

I can answer some of this. We left our leaf in the garage, unplugged, for 8 days while gone at Christmas. The 12v battery died and we had to jump-start the car. The drive pack was still charged. Based on that, we plan to either disconnect or trickle charge the 12v batter when gone in the future. The drive pack is better left unplugged in such scenarios, according to Nissan.

The car does fine in the winter. At -10*F I've done 44 mile round trips up to the ski area without setting off the light at 17% charge remaining.

It's quite comfortable in traffic. No vibration, no engine to heat up the car when you don't want it. I have the stock stereo, I know some people upgrade the speakers or there's always the BOSE option Nissan offers. iPod control and bluetooth audio are nice to have.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Hillridge posted:

This thread is looking pretty dead right now, but I figured I'd post anyway.

I am very interested in making my next car a full electric (or electric drive with on board gas generator like the volt). I'm trying very hard to squash the part of my brain that says the Tesla Model S is too much money, while at the same time checking my finances to see if it's at all feasible to afford. I wish there was more of a middle ground, i.e. Tesla power and range, but $40k cheaper with less (admittedly very cool) bells and whistles. The Model X also looks cool, but that's not available for at least another 15 months (compared to if I ordered an S today I wouldn't have it until September).

Does anything else come close for power and range with less of a wallet punch? Is it really that amazing of a car that it's worth a car payment a little over half what I pay on my mortgage?

I know this is probably a strange suggestion, but have you looked into the Spark EV? 327 ft-lbs, but the range isn't near as good. Pretty cheap, though.

http://www.chevrolet.com/spark-ev-electric-vehicle.html

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I don't think I'd want to go much smaller than the Volt. I'll definitely take a look at it if the Chevy dealer has any in stock though. Is there a good resurce for what will be available in 2015? Those models generally start selling Q3-4 of 2014, right?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Looking on the web site it says California and Oregon only for the Spark. :(

Definitely drive the Volt though if you haven't. I think it's a really nice car, though not the fastest thing.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I find sport mode in the Volt to be plenty peppy. Not Telsa-smack-into-the-seat fast but still quick.

As to the 2015, they've dropped the price each year for the last 2-3 years so it may be in for one last minor price drop before the new 2016 model is shown off.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Ford has a couple offerings that look nice, but it seems the general consensus is that they underwhelm for the price. I have a friend with the Volt that loves it, and I'll see if he'll let me drive it a bit. Even though it's way more efficient than anything I've ever owned, I'm still hoping I can find something that's pure electric so I never have to do any ICE related maintenance on it ever (gently caress exhaust work on New England cars). I may keep my current car for long trips/power outages and get a reasonable pure EV like the leaf for commuting/short trips. Also, I don't get how a car called the leaf isn't available in green. It has like 4 shades of silver, 2 of white, red, black, and grandma blue.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Hillridge posted:

Ford has a couple offerings that look nice, but it seems the general consensus is that they underwhelm for the price. I have a friend with the Volt that loves it, and I'll see if he'll let me drive it a bit. Even though it's way more efficient than anything I've ever owned, I'm still hoping I can find something that's pure electric so I never have to do any ICE related maintenance on it ever (gently caress exhaust work on New England cars). I may keep my current car for long trips/power outages and get a reasonable pure EV like the leaf for commuting/short trips. Also, I don't get how a car called the leaf isn't available in green. It has like 4 shades of silver, 2 of white, red, black, and grandma blue.

We've had our Ford Fusion Energi right at a year now and are very happy with it. My wife makes mainly short trips and has burned about 35 gallons of gas in that time. That includes a weekend road trip with no access to charging, and the 80 mile trip home from the dealer we bought it from.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I test drove a leaf over lunch today. It's small, but bigger than I thought, and not too bad overall. I'm going to check out other stuff, but I'd definitely consider it.

I think I'm going to look for a pure electric vehicle and do a 36mo lease on it (depending on terms). The technology is new and advancing quickly, so I'm willing to bet that the cost of the lease is less than the depreciation I'll see in 3 years if I buy outright and try to resell. Plus in 3 years Tesla may actually have it's gen 3 car they've talked about.

I'll keep my daily for long trips, or sell it for a 4x4 truck (can finance at 1.24% through my credit union). 2 new vehicles for $40k less than a Tesla sounds like not so bad an idea :)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

Sorry I missed this earlier!

I can answer some of this. We left our leaf in the garage, unplugged, for 8 days while gone at Christmas. The 12v battery died and we had to jump-start the car. The drive pack was still charged. Based on that, we plan to either disconnect or trickle charge the 12v batter when gone in the future. The drive pack is better left unplugged in such scenarios, according to Nissan.

The car does fine in the winter. At -10*F I've done 44 mile round trips up to the ski area without setting off the light at 17% charge remaining.

It's quite comfortable in traffic. No vibration, no engine to heat up the car when you don't want it. I have the stock stereo, I know some people upgrade the speakers or there's always the BOSE option Nissan offers. iPod control and bluetooth audio are nice to have.

good info, thanks! I think I'll look into one once we've settled in and bought somewhere, rather than dealing with battery issues while renting an apartment. I'll definitely take one for a test drive when I get a chance.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Test drove a Leaf yesterday. The dealership was out of 2014s, and while they're getting the 2015s in next week, they don't have them yet, so I was stuck with the 2012 SL they use as a demo car.

It was still so nice. Possibly my expectations are unduly low because I'm used to driving really barebones cars like the Golf and Yaris (and have never driven an EV of any kind), but holy poo poo that is a comfortable car. And the inside looks like science fiction.

The biggest issue I had was speeding, actually, because it is so quiet and the ride so smooth that I don't realize just how much acceleration it has. I was merging into traffic thinking "man, the Leaf doesn't have nearly as much power as I had been told" and then glanced at the speedometer and I was already doing 65.

It's twice the price of the next most expensive car I'm looking at, but I'm seriously considering it.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
What area are you in? I didn't think 2015's were coming out until a few more months, but if the dealer is going to have them soon that means I can either lease a nicer car or get a better deal on a 2014.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget to average in gas savings when thinking about purchasing the Leaf (or any EV really) versus other ICE cars out there. Depending on where you live, it can be even cheaper than run than in eco-conscious California.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ Yeah, long-term (5-10 years) the Leaf comes out ahead once you factor in gas costs and maintenance costs. Something like the Yaris might still beat it, depending on how much you assume for maintenance costs, but you could plausibly argue it either way, and for something that needs more fuel or costs more out of the box it's pretty unambiguous.

Right now, though, $32k is a bunch to be spending on a car. The main other car I'm looking at, the Mazda 3, can be had very lightly used for $10-15k in these parts. (Used Leafs basically don't exist here.)

Hillridge posted:

What area are you in? I didn't think 2015's were coming out until a few more months, but if the dealer is going to have them soon that means I can either lease a nicer car or get a better deal on a 2014.

Ontario, Canada. The dealership in question is the main Leaf distributor in Ontario, and does a brisk trade in them, so they're getting a few shipments of 2015s early since they ran out of 2014s sooner than expected.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

ToxicFrog posted:

...does a brisk trade in them, so they're getting a few shipments of 2015s early since they ran out of 2014s sooner than expected.

I like hearing that. The more they sell the better they'll get.

I'm really not sure why people say the interior looks so futuristic? It looks pretty normal to me. It also feels to me like it's put together better than, say, a Prius. At least Nissan hid fasteners in such a way that the door handles don't have removable carpet thingies.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Advent Horizon posted:

I'm really not sure why people say the interior looks so futuristic? It looks pretty normal to me.
You push a power button and it plays a little tune! The gearstick returns to the center and lights up a light instead of locking into different positions! That's some Jetsons poo poo!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Advent Horizon posted:

I'm really not sure why people say the interior looks so futuristic? It looks pretty normal to me.

This is the interior of an '04 Corolla, aka the fanciest and most technologically advanced car I have ever driven until yesterday's test drive.

Grey and black, big chunky shifter, big chunky dials, big chunky buttons, big chunky instruments. Everything is analog and looks a bit boxy.

This, on the other hand, is the interior of a 2014 Leaf:

Everything is smooth, off-white curves framing glossy black digital displays and flat touch panels. It is full of things that light up and go "bing" and instead of a shifter it has something that looks like it belongs in a UFO.

Maybe I'm just behind the times and this is the standard aesthetic for cars these days, but coming from what I normally drive, it looks like something from 2114 crash-landed on Nissan's lawn and they used the cockpit as the design inspiration.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I drove my friend's 2012 Volt tonight, and it's definitely roomier and a touch sportier than the leaf. The high belt line is a bit annoying, but I got used to it fast enough. There were some other weird things like the stereo was always on when the main display was active, but I think those have been fixed by 2014. I'm definitely going to head to the dealer next week, test drive a 2014 model, and see what their lease terms are like. I looked at the BMW i3 as well, and may stop by the dealer to drive one, but I get the feeling it's got the usual "privilege of driving a BMW" tax and that while it's better, it's not $15k worth of better.

Other than those, I think I'm down to the couple cars ford offers as far as possibilities. Am I forgetting anything (not interested in the Prius)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The only really, actually annoying thing I've found with my Volt so far is the goddamned default 8A charge mode. You can force it to charge at 13A, but every time you shut it down, it reverts to 8A.

It's an annoyance mostly because I hate it when things are catered to the lowest common denominator. (IE: the retard that plugs their car into a 10A circuit, wonders why the breaker keeps tripping, forces the breaker closed, and burns their house down.)

My '13 has a Volt logo on the main display when the stereo is off, and all the other screens work as normal, for what it's worth.

• Locked thread