Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Just wanna say I was laming it out with Elena a full day before JWong used her (but I'm totally stealing most of the stuff he used :ninja: ).

Was there a huge player/viewer bump like this for the AE2012 update?

EDIT

vvvvvv D'oh. Shows what I know. Did that side tourney get 15K viewers though? vvvvvv

Static Rook fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

JWong used her in prerelease, dude, even winning the USF4 side tournament at UFGTX with her.

Also, repost for the new page, Kazunoko is playing Decapre: http://www.twitch.tv/godsgarden

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Static Rook posted:

vvvvvv D'oh. Shows what I know. Did that side tourney get 15K viewers though? vvvvvv
Probably more because it was during a major and on during finals day

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

TaurusOxford posted:

We already have the best USF4 moment that will ever happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XqJtYc5ZS4

How many hits of armor does EX Meat Squasher have?

Also is Maximillian capable of using words that aren't superlatives?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Nativity In Black posted:

How many hits of armor does EX Meat Squasher have?

Also is Maximillian capable of using words that aren't superlatives?

According to people last night, it has literally infinite armor until just before the EX hits.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Lets buff Rufus because Eg uses him and they're an E sports company and nerf guile/Sagat the 2 main characters the 2 main members of Empire Arcadia use (Sanford/Dieminion). Lets buff Dudley because we like Smug and his highlight vids and lets buff Abel because we like Rico. Yay.....

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Really good game.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

HoneyBoy posted:

Really good game.

Between this image and the video someone posted earlier, I still don't get it. The video seemed to take place in practice mode, so I am not sure what it had to do with anything? Is it some kind of exploit to use a character 3x in normal play? How is it relevant since no tourney would ever allow it anyway? Or is it because people online are doing it more often?

With regards to nerfs, I will never understand why devs nerf characters and then buff others, instead of just buffing characters. Unless a character is straight broken, I don't see why you would nerf it. This applies to any game where balancing is a thing.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
What's there to get? It's a funny thing in a silly game that obviously would not be allowed in any sort of competitive environment. Yes, it lets you select multiples of the same character by editing the team preset file or something. It's popping up now because it was just discovered within the past few days.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

quote:

With regards to nerfs, I will never understand why devs nerf characters and then buff others, instead of just buffing characters. Unless a character is straight broken, I don't see why you would nerf it. This applies to any game where balancing is a thing.

If you nerf every character the game becomes more about system mechanics, if you buff every character it becomes more about character-specific intricacies and matchups (the limiting case being hard-read-into-touch-of-death characters like ST Hawk). Presumably developers want to keep a balance.

edit:

quote:

Lets buff Rufus because Eg uses him and they're an E sports company and nerf guile/Sagat the 2 main characters the 2 main members of Empire Arcadia use (Sanford/Dieminion). Lets buff Dudley because we like Smug and his highlight vids and lets buff Abel because we like Rico. Yay.....
man you should really source quotes like these I thought you were serious

Redmark fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 5, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
New York, literally the only place in the world that matters when it comes to balancing SFIV

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

New York, literally the only place in the world that matters when it comes to balancing SFIV

Combofiend was secretly east coast all these years, greatest plot twist ever.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
If you don't want to see more games like Zeus' Vega vs. Sabins' Dhalsim, you've actually hated good fighting games all along.

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

ToastyPotato posted:

Between this image and the video someone posted earlier, I still don't get it. The video seemed to take place in practice mode, so I am not sure what it had to do with anything? Is it some kind of exploit to use a character 3x in normal play? How is it relevant since no tourney would ever allow it anyway? Or is it because people online are doing it more often?
It's probably pretty annoying if you're trying to get some actual games online.

ToastyPotato posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_creep

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

MrXmas posted:

It's probably pretty annoying if you're trying to get some actual games online.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_creep

you meant http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_creep

but it's definitely possible to nerf too much and end up with a game where nothing is fun

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
there is a myriad of other reasons other than power creep:

*anti-fustration design, where you nerf somthing that may or may not be powerful, is extremely frustrating to fight, which causes fast low end player drop off. if you remember in skullgirls mike z didnt want to nerf that one assist or whatever because it was balanced, it was loving obnoxious nad no one liked playing against it. nerfint these things has a direct influence on your playerbases' numbers.

*making room for a buff. also called "burfing" (lol) where you nerf something on a character so you can give them a buff. usually in this case the buff is supposed to end in a more fun experience of the character being burfed. like, if you nerf the frame advantage on a certain move so you can give a character a powerful new tool that would otherwise cause an imbalanced situations if the nerf didnt go throgh.

*nerfing localized power that causes imbalances that only affect a situation. for example, if x character has y button that absolutely destroys z charcter, but is otherwise useless or of marginal power in other matchups, and x character has a 7-3 matchup vs z character, this is one of the easiest ways to balance a game.

*purifying design: sometimes a character doesnt fit the design you had in mind, and a tool just sort "doesnt work". like if you gave dhalsim a move that makes him move forawrd and is +0 on block, thatd be cool, but it makes more sense on rufus or something. sometimes these sorts of power levels can muddy a characters intent and playstyle to the point where players get "married" to something that shouldnt be there in the first place.

*that character needs a nerf. maybe they do. maybe they're op and its faster to just nerf a dude than buff 40 other dudes. this happens.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i hope you enjoyed that washed up design barf of some old idiot

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

http://www.twitch.tv/deadly_bison is streaming some Ultra from the Arena in Long Island. I dunno if LI Joe is there or not.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

canoshiz posted:

What's there to get? It's a funny thing in a silly game that obviously would not be allowed in any sort of competitive environment. Yes, it lets you select multiples of the same character by editing the team preset file or something. It's popping up now because it was just discovered within the past few days.

Also Galactus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdDmO04412o

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

I enjoyed reading it, thanks for writing it :)

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

I'm surprised that even works but holy poo poo.

...What happens if Galactus v Galactus occurs?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

The best part is that this actually buffs Galactus, since the game can't handle him doing a Team Hyper Combo, so the opponent freezes, Galactus' finger lasers freeze, then when the animations finish, all of them stack and go off, getting their 200+ hits on the opponent simultaneously for essentially an OHKO.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

it owned, please post more, you're a pretty cool guy.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also depending on how you balance a game, nerfing downward can be far more predictable than nerfing upward when the power is focused in less variables. similar to "sometimes they need a nerf", when balancing a game lets say you're playing a game with

2 S tier character
1 A tier character
2 B tier characters
5 C tier characters
6 D tier characters

naturally you're gonna go "well buff everyone up, its obvious", but when the power is so condensed upward, you have to change less variables (nerfing 3 characters condenses 3 whole tiers of power, while buffing 6 condenses 1). every time you make a game balance change, you can't predict every effect it will have on gameplay, as much as any person on the internet will tell you how great their design choices are. because of this, you can create a lot of chaos because the more variables you change, the less your predicted outcome of a design is, so nerfing downward in that scenario will create a more predictable atmosphere that is easier to control.

for every change you make, there will be unintended outcomes, and if those unintended outcomes interact with other changes, your predictions will be even less accurate, and if unpredicted outcomes also interact with unpredicted outcomes, there's almost zero accounting for the actual result. this can be especially chaotic in buffs because you're not only dealing with "well now character x loses y tool vs z" you now have to deal with "now character x has y tool that didnt exist before because these two interactions never created z in the first place, and z now trashes q character, who we didnt change mucbecause they were A tier".

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
what im saying is balancing video games is literally voodoo

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Stop trying to balance videogames just put out something fun and hope it sticks.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Brett824 posted:

Stop trying to balance videogames just put out something fun and hope it sticks.

or you could do both like someone competent, but nevermind that, brett824 is weighing in with his valued opinion on video games here

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
http://www.twitch.tv/iebattlegrounds has arcade 3rd Strike from Super Arcade tonight.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Sanford officially on hunger strike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_YU_T_MecY

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Brett824 posted:

worked for marvel 2

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Parallax Scroll posted:

worked for marvel 2

For all the poo poo people talk, Marvel 2 was a mechanically balanced game (with poor overall character balance and pretty decent intra-tier balance). It was a bit of a hackjob, but a lot of work was put into the game to prevent pretty much all the stupid bullshit that plagued the Vs. series up until that point, even if some of that work resulted in more stupid bullshit like guard breaks.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I'm at the CT New Challengers tournament today, Dieminion is here along with Team PIE Smug and Zeus. Stream should be up soon- twitch.tv/newchallengers

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Reminder that Curleh Mustache 10: Southern Edition is today also. It starts at 2pm CST and while I can't find a stream listing I'm gonna take a guess it'll be on teamsp00ky.

Toasta
Jan 18, 2006
All shall fade to black.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Reminder that Curleh Mustache 10: Southern Edition is today also. It starts at 2pm CST and while I can't find a stream listing I'm gonna take a guess it'll be on teamsp00ky.

Yes, I believe Spooky mentioned it during NLBC. I'm pumped! I love the Curleh events!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Whoah, Valle is in New York? Hopefully that means a lot more west coast players are there besides EG.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Curleh stream is live: http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Apparently Sanford's salt has reached critical levels. He tweeted recently that he's not participating in the King of New York league.

e:https://twitter.com/SanfordKelly/status/475307887200186368

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
What a baby.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Valle is playing Rufus? What the gently caress??

edit: Oh, they switched the names somehow in the last round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Apparently he's had to go to the hospital. Like, Smug joked about stealing Sanford's food money but apparently Sanford is actually malnourished now.