Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Seriously, unless you want to study something related to Taiwan - language, politics, history, whatever - or maybe engineering/compsci, Taiwan's higher education system is a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

My grad school's (a US school, not harvard though!) Chinese pedagogy program was like 60% Taiwanese would-be Chinese teachers or professors. I dunno what that means but the joke in the department was they come to the US to learn how to teach Chinese then go back to Taiwan to teach Chinese.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Many of the foreign MBA students here at NCCU also take Chinese language classes, and most of the ones I know are from East and Southeast Asia and eastern Europe. Most of the undergrad students I know here are all from Honduras and El Salvador on five-year scholarships.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Heads up call for Poker - 10PM Tonight.

First deal at 10~, please arrive a bit earlier if you wanna eat, introductions etc.
Cash game, 1000NT$ buy in, repeat as necessary.

The usual guff:
Zhongshan N Rd. Section 2, Alley 115 No. 15
中山北路二段115巷15號

Name of the place is 川娃子

If you Google Maps the address it will show the proper place, more or less. There's a big red and white sign with 川娃子 on it out front. If you're going north on Zhongshan Rd, take a right at the tiny alley in front of Mr. Onion and it's just a bit down that alley. Prepare to buy-in for at least 1000NT. Beer and food are available for non-exorbitant prices. My number is 0970229902 if you get lost/need me to LINE you a location.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Come one, come all, witness the terrifying spectacle of the magical growing kitty, powered only by the forces of Infinite Rebuys At The Start Of The Game

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

quadrophrenic posted:

Come one, come all, witness the terrifying spectacle of the magical growing kitty, powered only by the forces of Infinite Rebuys At The Start Of The Game

Lol, that was a spectacle, ..., didn't pan out well for him. I think he left 10K down.
Which to be fair is pretty substantial for a fukn 500 game.

He said hes busy for the rest of the month, so I very much doubt any one will play that strategy tonight.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Stupid phone :|

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

url posted:

I think he left 10K down.
Jesus fuckin' Christ!

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

Jesus fuckin' Christ!

Conservative estimate. I walked with 7.5 after bills and having lent 5 to keep people in play.

E: Nothing quite like 1500 pre flop at 10:35 to set the tone of the evening :/

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

url posted:

I think he left 10K down.
Shameful.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Meh, I can deal with the "billy big stack" strategy. The tantrum on the way out the door was actually shameful though.

10K on the table, then xyz on beers, gin, whisky. They obviously had their own unique cumulative effects.

I felt bad for him, but then I bought a bottle of 12yo scotch with his cash and within 15 minutes all was right in the world.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

A whole poo poo-ton of people on skateboards carrying flags just went past my apartment. Anybody know what that's about?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

What flags?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

What flags?

No kind that I've seen before. They were red, white and blue and had a weird "T" symbol in the upper left.

EDIT: It sort of looked like the Trask Industries logo, so everyone be on watch for Sentinels.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 21, 2014

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Eh you have nothing to fear unless you're a 外省人

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Spanish Matlock posted:

Eh you have nothing to fear unless you're a 外省人
It's still Ma Time, so if the Sentinels show up it'd be more like

quote:

Eh you have nothing to fear if you're a 外省人

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I've never heard that term before. Google is telling me that's Mainlanders, but I assumed that would be 大陸人.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
外省人 "people from outside (Taiwan) province" are the (generally well-off and KMT-leaning) families who migrated to Taiwan from various parts of China in the Communist civil war era. The opposite would be 本省人 families who had already been on Taiwan before that, or 原住民 the true "natives".

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well that's a very clear explanation. Thanks!

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Also it should be noted that those terms( 外省人/本省人) are out of vogue right now with young people in Taiwan, because
1. They imply that Taiwan is a province(省) and not a country which is not how most Taiwanese people feel
2. 1949 was 60 years ago, most young people nowadays, even if their grandparents were so-called "外省人", are 3rd generation Taiwanese and it's kinda like calling a 3rd generation Chinese-American person Chinese. Like how long do you need to live in Taiwan before you're accepted as Taiwanese?
3. Many if not most Taiwanese people now are a mix of so-called 外省人、 本省人, Hakka, aboriginal or all of the above

Unfortunately, there's no politically correct term to replace these terms. At best, you can wait for people to offer up random trivia like "My dad speaks Hakka" or see which language with which they refer to their grandparents (阿公 阿嬤 are more likely to be so called 本省人 and 爺爺奶奶外婆外公 are more likely to be so called 外省人)

Also, not everyone who came from mainland China to Taiwan in 1949 was wealthy. That's an image that results from prominent 外省人 and their descendents such as Ma Ying Jeou, Lung Ying-Tai and even Lee Ang but a lot of the people were low level soldiers or even just straight up refugees.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

hitension posted:

Also, not everyone who came from mainland China to Taiwan in 1949 was wealthy. That's an image that results from prominent 外省人 and their descendents such as Ma Ying Jeou, Lung Ying-Tai and even Lee Ang but a lot of the people were low level soldiers or even just straight up refugees.

It was probably the greatest single migration of talent, wealth and capital over such a short period of time in the history of mankind. The only comparable situation I can think of is the founding of Israel and even that was on a much bigger timescale. Most of the migrants were probably poor and illiterate, yes, but the quantity of those who were not can't be understated.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Bloodnose posted:

It was probably the greatest single migration of talent, wealth and capital over such a short period of time in the history of mankind. The only comparable situation I can think of is the founding of Israel and even that was on a much bigger timescale. Most of the migrants were probably poor and illiterate, yes, but the quantity of those who were not can't be understated.

Which just goes to show that being smart doesn't really get you much sometimes.
For instance, proper drainage or central air.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Barto posted:

Which just goes to show that being smart doesn't really get you much sometimes.
For instance, proper drainage or central air.
Money might buy you a government, but it apparently can't buy you toilets that flush properly.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I know I never post here, but a small update from my life in Taiwan. My fiancee and I decided to extend our Hess contract for 6 months and we got a new place. We were pretty down on Taipei for awhile because our old place near Guting MRT was basically in the middle of the used furniture and appliance district, but we've moved to the Renai roundabout and things are much nicer (and pricier). Still, it was definitely a nice decision and one we should have made sooner since we weren't very happy with the first location.

The only problem now is that I saw a flying cockroach in the alley the other day and it brought back terrifying childhood memories which I had been repressing.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Slowpoke! posted:

I know I never post here, but a small update from my life in Taiwan. My fiancee and I decided to extend our Hess contract for 6 months and we got a new place. We were pretty down on Taipei for awhile because our old place near Guting MRT was basically in the middle of the used furniture and appliance district, but we've moved to the Renai roundabout and things are much nicer (and pricier). Still, it was definitely a nice decision and one we should have made sooner since we weren't very happy with the first location.

The only problem now is that I saw a flying cockroach in the alley the other day and it brought back terrifying childhood memories which I had been repressing.

http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%99%BD%E9%A1%8D%E9%AB%98%E8%85%B3%E8%9B%9B
Oh amigo, you still have wonders and wonders awaiting you. (But don't worry, they eat cockroaches!)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Barto posted:

http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%99%BD%E9%A1%8D%E9%AB%98%E8%85%B3%E8%9B%9B
Oh amigo, you still have wonders and wonders awaiting you. (But don't worry, they eat cockroaches!)

Is that a loving clock spider?

e: Nope, apparently clock spider was a huntsman, so thank gently caress that's not the same thing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TetsuoTW posted:

Is that a loving clock spider?

e: Nope, apparently clock spider was a huntsman, so thank gently caress that's not the same thing.

Click the English.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

hitension posted:

Also it should be noted that those terms( 外省人/本省人) are out of vogue right now with young people in Taiwan, because
1. They imply that Taiwan is a province(省) and not a country which is not how most Taiwanese people feel
2. 1949 was 60 years ago, most young people nowadays, even if their grandparents were so-called "外省人", are 3rd generation Taiwanese and it's kinda like calling a 3rd generation Chinese-American person Chinese. Like how long do you need to live in Taiwan before you're accepted as Taiwanese?
3. Many if not most Taiwanese people now are a mix of so-called 外省人、 本省人, Hakka, aboriginal or all of the above

Editor's note: There are still quite a few people who get reeeeal het up about the whole who got here first question, and violently self-identify as one or the other. To find out if the person you are talking to is one of these, you should casually refer to the 228 massacre as "That scuffle over the cigarettes".

Interesting side note I first learned the term waishengren after mispronouncing Halloween as "Extraprovincial Festival" and confusing the hell out of some guy.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jun 26, 2014

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Small stakes poker tonight 500NT$ buy-ins.

Zhongshan N Rd. Section 2, Alley 115 No. 15
中山北路二段115巷15號

Name of the place is 川娃子

If you Google Maps the address it will show the proper place, more or less.

http://goo.gl/maps/SnrDV

There's a big red and white sign with 川娃子 on it out front. If you're going north on Zhongshan Rd, take a right at the tiny alley in front of Mr. Onion and it's just a bit down that alley. Prepare to buy-in for at least 500NT. Beer and food are available for non-exorbitant prices. My number is 0970229902 if yo get lost/need me to LINE you a location.

Kick off around 10PM

Phone-posting, Unicode everywhere, vOv

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Figures a poker night finally lands on an evening when I'm not too tired and maybe actually feel like going out and doing something ... but have pink eye. The joys of being back in the classroom.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Moon Slayer posted:

Figures a poker night finally lands on an evening when I'm not too tired and maybe actually feel like going out and doing something ... but have pink eye. The joys of being back in the classroom.

Stay the gently caress away you diseased fucker.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I'd come but my blood test in the morning should probably be less than 30% alcohol.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'd come but my blood test in the morning should probably be less than 30% alcohol.

Boy do I know that feeling.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Boy do I know that feeling.
The feeling of a <30% BAC? I have doubts.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TetsuoTW posted:

The feeling of a <30% BAC? I have doubts.

Don't make me put a K-addicted spider in your closet.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Don't make me put a K-addicted spider in your closet.
I don't know, the one that's probably already in there could get mighty territorial.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

oh... so you ARE sick....
My boyfriend and I are going to Taiwan to visit my grandma in Muzha. The only thing I have planned is ancestral worship/visiting temples, because my grandma is super religious.

What else is there to do in Taiwan? I remember going shrimp fishing in a disgusting indoor pool when I was younger, and I would definitely like to do that again. Are there any other odd ball activities that you guys would recommend? My boyfriend is white, but he speaks Mandarin fluently because he lived in Beijing for four years. However, he really doesn't want to be in Taiwan so I'm trying to win him over by showing him some unique Taiwanese activities.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language

4R7 THi3F posted:

he lived in Beijing for four years. However, he really doesn't want to be in Taiwan

What
Don't worry, he will change this attitude around within like 5 minutes of getting off the plane

Fun stuff to do in Taiwan? It depends on what they're into. My standard route around Taipei is to take people to rent U-Bikes (or scootering if they're not too afraid of the traffic), show them NTU campus with the lakes and whatnot, YongKang Street (now is the perfect season for bubble tea and shaved fruit ice!! for dinner, Kao Chi高記 is way better than Ding Tai Fung),Ximending if they're into video games/Japanese stuff/shopping (unrelated, Wufenpu is another good place for shopping); night markets (my secret favorite night market is Tonghua because it's less touristy and has a bunch of pet stores nearby where you can play with animals, but Shilin and Raohe are the major tourist night markets and both solid choices), go to one of the two Cultural Parks (文創園區) -- Songshan or Huashan for free or cheap (maybe like $500 NTD) exhibitions, obviously Taipei 101 if they're into that touristy thing, National Palace Museum/CKS and SYS Memorial Halls if they're into the history things -- maybe if you're lucky when you're passing by CKS memorial hall there will be a protest!! From central ish Taipei take the riverside bike path either SOUTH to Muzha to see the baby panda (or Taiwan black bear, whatever floats your boat) at the Taipei City Zoo, or NORTH to Tamsui to see the harbor, eat a million free samples watch the sun set etc.

In New Taipei City, there's the Cat Village (侯硐), which is just a little village filled with very tame cats roaming about, Jiufen (where they based the cool night scenes in Spirited Away on, also famous for taro ball soup 芋圓), there's a good hiking trail at Sandiaoling, there's this park with these weird geological formations in Yehliu, or you can go to Pinghsi 平溪 to release a Sky Lantern on which you write your hopes and dreams (before the lantern crashes somewhere in a forest)...

Heading further away from Taipei, there's a museum about the history of Taiwan's democratization (insert ROC crying flag icon here) in Yilan, obviously Taroko Gorge in Hualien and... to be honest I just started thinking about all the non-Taipei places I could list and realized that this post would get way too long.
I could go on forever about special places to go in Taiwan!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

hitension posted:

What
Don't worry, he will change this attitude around within like 5 minutes of getting off the plane

If they're coming in summer I think they'll both want to turn around 5 minutes after getting off the plane once the AC stops and the humid, sticky, hotness that is a Taiwan summer takes hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenner116
May 15, 2009
I'm in Muzha. The big two attractions here are the zoo and Maokong gondola. You can also visit Zhinan temple on the way up to Maokong.

The super muggy weather has arrived, along with some big thunderstorms every afternoon. I still recommend riding YouBikes aling the river here but be sure to always carry an umbrella.