Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

The Sisko posted:

I was wondering if any of you have an idea or technique to make metal look heated (ie a sword just pulled from a forge, the Extremis Virus from Iron Man 3)? The Captain in my brothers army has the Burning Blade and I wanted that kind of effect for his sword.

Red, purple, blue and yellow/sepia washes after one another from the heat source and outwards. GIS metal heat discoloration.

E: on second reading of your post, that might have not been what you asked for. For something still-glowing I'd go with bright yellow/whit centre and gradually more orange to red at the edges.

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

PyroDwarf posted:

Return of the friendliest destroyer.

Still needs touchups around the emblem, namely between the "coffin" edges and the crevice in the sternum, but it looks good! Sup, :wave:cron?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Not a viking posted:

Red, purple, blue and yellow/sepia washes after one another from the heat source and outwards. GIS metal heat discoloration.

E: on second reading of your post, that might have not been what you asked for. For something still-glowing I'd go with bright yellow/whit centre and gradually more orange to red at the edges.

Thank you. I'll try the 2nd method tomorrow and post the results in here.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

How do I liven up this Iron Warrior? In general, I feel like I have to add something that isn't metallic. I also have no idea how to base him, to provide any contrast to the dark silver. Any critiques or suggestions are appreciated.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Deino posted:

How do I liven up this Iron Warrior? In general, I feel like I have to add something that isn't metallic. I also have no idea how to base him, to provide any contrast to the dark silver. Any critiques or suggestions are appreciated.

-Hazard stripes on one/both of the shoulders?

-Some gold somewhere on the helm/faceplate?

Those are the two things that leap to my mind. I have no idea whether they're super 'correct' for IW though :shobon:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Deino posted:

Throw some yellow or hazard stripes on the shoulder and then sponge weather it back down. Actually it would go with your scheme to sponge weather the gun too if you wanted. You could also try some blood effects, I use them often when I paint things that are very monochrome just to break up the colors. If you think you can pull it off you could also try doing hazard stripes on the faceplate, otherwise I'd just paint it bronze.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Deino posted:

I feel like his weapon needs to be significantly different in color to him just to make it clear they aren't one mass, particularly around the area where his hands are holding the gun. There's just not enough contrast and it looks kind of tin-man-y. Something's gotta happen with that gun to make him look more like a model that's holding a gun and less like a statue.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Finished up my final Chimera:

Here it is with it's passengers, a veteran squad:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Deino posted:

Paint the fields of his shoulder pads black. On his left, put the chapter badge, and on the right do caution stripes or company markings. Do the same with one of his kneepads, and try to paint the lenses of his helmet in.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
That's one of the things I like so much about Iron Warriors: simple Legion insignia. It's not, BWARRG, WE'RE CHAOS! >:E and can be used for both pre and post heresy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You can also paint the gun a dark grey, which will help distinguish it from the marine.

Edit: autocorrect

moths fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 6, 2014

mastergeebo
Sep 26, 2004

Via con Dios, el Dingo
I always added some blue to my Iron Warriors. Something small like wires or ammo pouches.

Ratflinger
Jul 1, 2010
Hm, anyone got experience with painting stuff purple? I am about to start painting some Tau, and had an idea about trying to rip off the colour scheme of Mass Effect's 'Geth'. I was thinking I would prime them in black and drybrush them lightly so I get a very dark shade of purple. Is this a decent idea or will I end up with a bunch of pinkish stuff?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ratflinger posted:

Hm, anyone got experience with painting stuff purple? I am about to start painting some Tau, and had an idea about trying to rip off the colour scheme of Mass Effect's 'Geth'. I was thinking I would prime them in black and drybrush them lightly so I get a very dark shade of purple. Is this a decent idea or will I end up with a bunch of pinkish stuff?
I feel like Tau wouldn't take too well to drybrushing since they're so rounded. Your models will only look pinkish if you use a pinkish purple. There are some nice dark purples GW puts out now.

Ratflinger
Jul 1, 2010

SRM posted:

I feel like Tau wouldn't take too well to drybrushing since they're so rounded. Your models will only look pinkish if you use a pinkish purple. There are some nice dark purples GW puts out now.

All right, cheers! I picked up a bunch of purple colours from GW the other day, so I will give regular painting a shot. Could perhaps even try posting the results when I am done if I am not far too embarassed ny them!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Ratflinger posted:

Buy Reaper's Imperial Purples triad. It's a shade/base/highlight set.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

And make sure to test it out on old models or sprue first. Purple can look very different wet in the jar than when it's dried.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

mastergeebo posted:

I always added some blue to my Iron Warriors. Something small like wires or ammo pouches.

Great idea, I did this with the bionic parts. Here, let me dig out some minis and actually post some photos.

Jesus, this "modern" smart phone is worse than my model that was designed in 2005. Well, uh ...

I've talked to some new painters, saying you have to start somewhere. Right to left is more or less where I started and where I am now. The first models I painted, other than a goofy Space Marine I made from spare parts, were yellow base coated Guardians with some armor plates painted black. Still, the Dark Reaper Exarch was within that same army, only a bit of practice:

1. No blending, just base colors applied over a black undercoat. The "flashiest" part is when I painted red "war paint" on his skull mask.
2. Repaint a year or two later, did some thick paint wet blends, practically dry brushing. Lots of blending and far more attention to the overall "look" of the model but still not very clean.
3. Very clean Baharroth with three or more part highlights all over. I didn't feel like spending forever on painting him, though, had an Apocalypse game coming up. His gun is just lazy metal topped with a wash.
4. Fuegan shows what my skill level is at. I came up with the "purple embers in air" scheme for his armor, greenstuffed and painted his fist to be burning, did a kinda crummy scenic base (I hate basing). The weapon is still lazy style.

Supposed to point out that things like a red skull (I'm obsessed with "your skull is red") to make something on an Iron Warrior stand out:

Iron Warrior sorcerer from a WHFB mini, blue skull to make him stand out even more: (I think I made his magic beat stick from the old Chaos Spiky Bits sprue)

You can't even see it on this lovely photo, but I used Mythril Silver or Chainmail as a base on the bionics then put Blue Ink over the top. Creates a nice, bold effect.
Another way to make Iron Warriors stand out: war trophies. He has taken a power fist from a slain Imperial Fist.

BLUD WING. The banner is in ye olde gang script.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 6, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Remember the Facebook group 'Eavy Metal that got shut down by GW recently? I think I may have a clue why it happened.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
People who paint stripy pants on their Orks are insane.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That squig targeter is loving great.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Silhouette posted:

Buy Reaper's Imperial Purples triad. It's a shade/base/highlight set.

http://www.reapermini.com/pdf/CW18_PaintLikeMaster.pdf

They don't seem to sell the 'three bottles in a pack' triad anymore, but they still have a list of them. There's a few decent painting tips in there too, though the skin tones were used on one of their stripper-ish models which is...yeah.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The metals are blowing my mind on that Ork.

Ratflinger
Jul 1, 2010

Slimnoid posted:

They don't seem to sell the 'three bottles in a pack' triad anymore, but they still have a list of them. There's a few decent painting tips in there too, though the skin tones were used on one of their stripper-ish models which is...yeah.

I actually have a hard time of getting hold of any reaper mini stuff. I am sure I could find it online somewhere, though. I know of places that carry Vallejo, Army Painter and Citadel. If I were to send for some, know of any online store that delivers to Sweden?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Ratflinger posted:

I actually have a hard time of getting hold of any reaper mini stuff. I am sure I could find it online somewhere, though. I know of places that carry Vallejo, Army Painter and Citadel. If I were to send for some, know of any online store that delivers to Sweden?

Nah, unfortunately I don't. Amazon has a bunch on there though, so maybe go that route?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Slimnoid posted:

Here you go. You just have to know where to look. When they go at retail, from what I've seen, Reaper prefers to sell 'em in the triads. The specific triad you're referring to is actually called Royal Purples. Confusingly, there's also a Royal Purple triad, which has somewhat darker purples. For even more fun, their SKUs are identical, except one ends with 80 and the other in 08.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

JackMann posted:

Here you go. You just have to know where to look. When they go at retail, from what I've seen, Reaper prefers to sell 'em in the triads. The specific triad you're referring to is actually called Royal Purples. Confusingly, there's also a Royal Purple triad, which has somewhat darker purples. For even more fun, their SKUs are identical, except one ends with 80 and the other in 08.

Son of a bitch. You'd think they'd make that easier to find.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Fuegan posted:

Hate to repost the same models but I added a little more weathering around the hands (as suggested in here) and then remembered I had a pile of Dragon Forge bases that I ended up not using for an old project!

This is going back a ways but what do you use for your green?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Slimnoid posted:

Son of a bitch. You'd think they'd make that easier to find.

I think it's because it's easier for them to package individual paints when they're shipping directly. No need to include the card and blister. So, they encourage people buying direct to buy one or two bottles at a time. It's about a two-cent difference in the price. On the other hand, the triads make more sense when selling at retail. If nothing else, it's a lot easier for merchants to put the blisters on a rack than individual bottles.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
I'm at a loss with how to paint this arco-penitent's shoulder pads. I was also going to paint her halo bronze, but now I'm thinking it might look good as whatever color her shoulders end up being. What do you all think?

She's still got a little ways to go, so ignore the big swath of yellow on the purity seal.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Thread, check your local Michael's. Mine is clearancing all its Liquitex spray paints.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Beerdeer posted:

Thread, check your local Michael's. Mine is clearancing all its Liquitex spray paints.

Never again. When Michael's Arts And Crafts closed they had a 90% off sale. I still have plastic plants for terrain to this day, the sale was about a decade ago.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ratflinger posted:

All right, cheers! I picked up a bunch of purple colours from GW the other day, so I will give regular painting a shot. Could perhaps even try posting the results when I am done if I am not far too embarassed ny them!
Post pictures for critique, it's the best way to get better!

CyberLord XP posted:

People who paint stripy pants on their Orks are insane.
The best kind of insane.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Post 9-11 User posted:

Never again. When Michael's Arts And Crafts closed they had a 90% off sale. I still have plastic plants for terrain to this day, the sale was about a decade ago.

I won't pretend addiction isn't a problem.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
No-effort plague is pretty easy to make it look gross thanks to the model detail

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 8, 2014

nuggets
May 14, 2003

signalnoise posted:

No-effort plague is pretty easy to make it look gross thanks to the model detail

Mega Gross! What are you using for that goopy red?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

WIP shot of my Helbrute. For some reason the photo is really whitewashed , its definetley alot more colorful than shown here. Also I did try the technique suggested and it turned out ok , I just have to fine tune it to what I want.

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 8, 2014

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Currently TDY to Nevada for an exercise. Was told we'd be going straight to the hotel after we landed. Brought my travel painting kit with a large selection of paints. Ended up going to several briefings while our luggage was left on a truck out on the flightline. Hoping that my paints are still good.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

nuggets posted:

Mega Gross! What are you using for that goopy red?

That is Miniatiare Ghost Tint Fresh Blood on top of Minitaire Lust Pink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I finished my first test skorne models today:

I'm really happy with the result, the scheme is easy and fast to paint, differs from the traditional scheme a bit and looks great and pronounced. Only problem is that I used a dip that I had lying around, and I dislike how dips goop up the miniature. Next time I'll probably wash the entire mini in Agrax Earthshade (or Gryphonne Sepia?) before highlighting instead. Hope the results will be similar.

• Locked thread