Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
it just feels wrong, man. like, just wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Thought I'd try my hand

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 6, 2014

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

An interesting headline.

An even more interesting headline

Anidav fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 6, 2014

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

:siren: THE ADULTS ARE BACK IN CONTROL :siren:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Turnbull went from 8.00 to this.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
If Scott Morrison ever became prime minister I would stand outside the glass windows of the Sunrise set and commit seppuku on live television

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Turnbull went from 8.00 to this.

What are the numbers for Someone Else?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Shadeoses posted:

What are the numbers for Someone Else?

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
Apple retail staff in Australia to get < CPI pay increases over the next few years (at 2%), including technical staff.

http://www.afr.com/p/technology/what_an_apple_genius_worth_XylpfNr9PhwS50YQOkChmN

What grubs. Sitting on top of a cash pile in excess of what some countries make in a year, can't pay their staff a decent wage. Disgusting.

This is what happens when you don't have a union negotiating for you collectively.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Mattjpwns posted:

Apple retail staff in Australia to get < CPI pay increases over the next few years (at 2%), including technical staff.

http://www.afr.com/p/technology/what_an_apple_genius_worth_XylpfNr9PhwS50YQOkChmN

What grubs. Sitting on top of a cash pile in excess of what some countries make in a year, can't pay their staff a decent wage. Disgusting.

This is what happens when you don't have a union negotiating for you collectively.

Wow, 1700 out of 2300 employees agreed to it?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Transfield, literally employing child molesters.

quote:

Evidence that a child asylum seeker detained on Nauru was sexually assaulted by a member of the detention centre staff has raised further questions about the safety of children held in Australia’s offshore detention regime.

A number of witness accounts and the final investigation report obtained by Guardian Australia reveal that in November last year a cleaner employed by the detention centre manager Transfield Services grabbed the genitals of an asylum seeker boy understood to be in his mid-teens.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/06/evidence-nauru-cleaner-sexually-assaulted-asylum-seeker-boy

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Those On My Left posted:

Wow, 1700 out of 2300 employees agreed to it?

It's amazing what you'll agree to when you think it's a privilege to work for your Lord and Messiah.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Mattjpwns posted:

A Shitlord posted:

Australian Retailers Association executive director Russell Zimmerman said the pay deal only just exceeded the minimum award standards, which was surprising, but set a new and welcome benchmark.

“It is perfectly realistic and one we should be looking forward to seeing in the future from other retailers,” he said.

Mr Zimmerman said wages were a big burden on retailers who were also battling to improve service.

jfc

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Haters Objector posted:

If Scott Morrison ever became prime minister I would stand outside the glass windows of the Sunrise set and commit seppuku on live television

You should [redacted because of Xylo rules] instead.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hypation spotted IRL

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Mattjpwns posted:

quote:

He also noted that the agreement traded away an entitlement under the award for double time on Sundays in favour of time and a half.

I'm wondering if the employees even knew what they were voting for...

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Haters Objector posted:

A reminder that at the time the idea of Health Minister and serial fuckup Anthony John Abbott ever becoming the Prime Minister was utterly absurd and would simply reflect how far Australian politics had fallen

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Burn us down.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

So 1916 people decided to collectively bargain, and no one was represented by a union? Then they bargain down basic penalties because the store discount would make up the difference? Then it gets ratified by the Fair Work Commission. As long as you are a bit over the minimum wage you can gently caress about with penalties; How is this legal?

They don't like that the industry has higher awards then the minimum, so they incrementally dilute new agreements until its at minimum? Its hosed up that the workers don't seem to mind.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Previously working at a shithole like Umart, the dominant attitude seemed to be " A job's a job mate"

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Well sure it sounds like the workers have been hosed over, but that's because you're a communist who doesn't understand that we are all Homo Economicus.

Educate yourself

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Next Up:
Supermarket staff vote to add a condition where they can take home day old pastries and poo poo that expires the next day (in lieu of meal allowances and weekend penalties).

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/5625-preferred-leader-l-np-alp-june-2014-201406060420

lol

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I used to work at an unnamed bakery in Australia and they refused to pay for the time we had to stay after work to clean up beyond 15 minutes, when it ALWAYS took at least a half hour.

I would make up for it by helping myself to tasty deserts because the owners were too lazy to stay until we were done cleaning.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Ragingsheep posted:

Nah, they probably didn't. When I worked for a supermarket sometimes they'd put proposals through to us, explain a little and we would have to agree yes or no to them. I can't remember what any of them were about, except for one which was where if you were working 6 hours, you could take your mandatory 30 minute break at the end of your shift so you'd be working 5.5 hours straight or something.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Working for Apple is a privilege you should pay for.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Mattjpwns posted:

Didn't you hear that Apple Australia makes barely any profits? That's what they tell the ATO.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

adamantium|wang posted:

Yes but they won't be able to tell you why.

They wouldn't be able to tell you, but the reasons are pretty clear. If you don't follow politics it's easy to have a simple good guy/ bad guy narrative about the major parties. And it's not a good thing when somebody is betraying the team you've chosen to blindly support is it.

Sorcery
Jul 3, 2012
Adult government.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
In medieval times the apprentice would work for their master in the trade, and also pay them.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

Mattjpwns posted:

You mean you get a deal greater than the award?

Apple's lowest paid workers starting from a base that exceeds the award by 6.5%.

The agreed 2% pa pay rises is 1% lower than the minimum wage case of 3%. So for the entire 4 year length of the agreement they remain ahead of the award assuming it increases at the same rate as the minimum wage case.

Also the example discussed was the workers on the lowest paid jobs. The $750 per week quoted amounts to $20.55 x 36.5. But there is no mention of what happens with salaries for other staff affected who include: "salespeople as well as those stacking shelves, doing repairs and providing technical assistance." It also does not mention the commissions that sales guys get.

Meanwhile the union guy threw in a spurious comparison with Coles: "By comparison, the bottom rung for retail workers at Coles was $773.70 a week and the basic award minimum for shop assistants was $703.90" - This is problematic for several reasons - it does not say whether the Coles' working week is the same length as Apple's, and it does not say who the $773.50 gets paid to - so you could end up comparing the in-store sales assistant with shelf stackers and it doesn't say pay rises Coles staff will get. Assuming 36.5 hours per week the number comes out to be $21.20 per hour.

Here: http://www.glassdoor.com.au/Salary/Woolworths-Limited-Salaries-E7481.htm
are rates from Woolworths as low as $16.09 per hour. You wouldn't think that they would have such differences between their pay rates.

More data would be able to provide a more accurate assessment.

Foundry Dancer
Apr 21, 2005

Ragingsheep posted:

What do you think?

Financial Review posted:

The deal was struck with employees without the involvement of a union and was signed on behalf of employees by a senior human resources executive at the company.

The deal was signed by an Apple exec "on behalf" of the employees.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Navy vessels to be built offshore, with Australian shipbuilders not able to bid posted:

New navy refuelling ships will be built offshore, with the Abbott government giving first preference to Spain and South Korea.

Defence minister David Johnston has announced the tender process for the urgently needed replacements of replenishment vessels HMAS Success and HMAS Sirius – but Australian shipbuilders won't be able to bid.

Instead, the battle will be between Spain's Navantia and South Korea's Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering.

Johnston says the low productivity of domestic shipbuilders in the troubled air warfare destroyers program means the government has to look elsewhere to get value for money.

And the ships may not be the only projects to go overseas, with the government warning that if local shipbuilders don't lift their game, eight new future frigates may go offshore as well.

The future frigates will replace the navy's existing Australian-made Anzac frigates next decade, and the government has pledged $78.2m for preliminary work.

But at the same time, the government will review Australia's shipbuilding capabilities.

"No responsible government could consider providing further work to an industry that is performing so poorly," Johnston said on Friday. "This is not a blank cheque."

Johnston said decisions about replacing navy ships should have been made by Labor years ago, in order to avoid the domestic industry "valley of death" – the gap between current and future projects when workers are laid off.

Unions were quick to condemn the refuelling vessel decision, accusing the government of showing a lack of vision.

Denying Australian shipbuilders the chance to tender for work stifles the shipbuilding sector at a time when preference should be given to Australian manufacturers, they say.

"Offshoring is an insidious move that undercuts the works of Australian shipbuilders," Manufacturing Industry Workers Union national assistant secretary Glenn Thompson said in statement.

However, he was pleased to see that 20 new patrol boats would be built on home soil, which would lift the confidence in shipyards.

"If the government is aiming to create a shipbuilding industry that's up to international benchmark standard, ensuring there is work is a good first step," he said.

Open for International Business.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Hypation posted:

You mean you get a deal greater than the award?

Apple's lowest paid workers starting from a base that exceeds the award by 6.5%.

The agreed 2% pa pay rises is 1% lower than the minimum wage case of 3%. So for the entire 4 year length of the agreement they remain ahead of the award assuming it increases at the same rate as the minimum wage case.

Also the example discussed was the workers on the lowest paid jobs. The $750 per week quoted amounts to $20.55 x 36.5. But there is no mention of what happens with salaries for other staff affected who include: "salespeople as well as those stacking shelves, doing repairs and providing technical assistance." It also does not mention the commissions that sales guys get.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Inc.

quote:

Revenue US$ 170.910 billion (2013)[2]
Operating income US$ 48.999 billion (2013)[2]
Net income US$ 37.037 billion (2013)[2]
Total assets US$ 207.000 billion (2013)[2]
Total equity US$ 123.549 billion (2013)[2]

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anidav posted:

Open for International Business.

Good luck getting them into the country.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

The idea that workers in a company that has over $100 billion of equity are doing okay if they get below CPI increases and barely 6.5% above the minimum wage is loving idiotic, and by defending it you're basically saying you're perfectly okay with the rich getting fantastically richer at a fantastically faster rate while the poor should thank their lucky loving stars they aren't being paid the minimum wage.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Those On My Left posted:

The idea that workers in a company that has over $100 billion of equity are doing okay if they get below CPI increases and barely 6.5% above the minimum wage is loving idiotic, and by defending it you're basically saying you're perfectly okay with the rich getting fantastically richer at a fantastically faster rate while the poor should thank their lucky loving stars they aren't being paid the minimum wage.

AAPL have paid out ~$12 billion in dividends in the last 12 months. Maybe if the workers weren't so drat greedy, it could have been $15 billion.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Those On My Left posted:

Blah blah know it's not fair blah blah negotiate individually blah blah risk of capital blah blah they should start their own global technology company

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Hypation posted:

More data would be able to provide a more accurate assessment.

You don't think it's crazy that staff working for a highly profitable company would agree to conditions that will see them worse off in real dollars as well as trading away penalty rates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Listen thread, I need your help with something. WRT to indigenous life expectancy, who gets counted for this? Just anybody who ticks the box in the census? I'd like to know about what the life expectancy is for culturally First Nations people, not just Whitey McLiberal who claims ancestry but has never been a part of community.

• Locked thread