Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Coughing Hobo posted:

This is like the best outfit Geralt's ever worn.

I don't think there was an outfit I truly hated in W2. They were all awesome.

The chainmail thing he wears in he trailer is just *so boring*. I'm almost assuming that it's a placeholder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Rdubs posted:

I'm curious how many casual players will make that reference. Ciri is barely mentioned at all in the first two games, if I recall an innkeeper tells a story in the first game and that's about it. Yennefer was mentioned slightly more, but odds are only the most devout fans know who Ciri is or why she's important. That the trailer would make such a reference is frikkin awesome.
Knowing stuff from the books helps, but I feel like there are a lot of pieces to put together in the games if you really pay attention.

Witcher 1
1) For some reason, the Wild Hunt keeps an eye on you throughout W1.
2) For some reason, the Wild Hunt wanted to take Alvin/Jacques, someone born with powerful magic abilities.

Witcher 2
3) For some reason, the Wild Hunt had let you go after you spent some time with them.
4) Ciri was a young girl that was close to Geralt and was powerful enough to save Geralt and Yennefer's lives.
5) The elves from the other world need Elder Blood to travel between worlds.

I cannot remember if they talk about what Elder Blood is beyond that.
e: Apparently, there's an in-game lore book that talks about Elder Blood.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 6, 2014

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Ice Fist posted:

The chainmail thing he wears in he trailer is just *so boring*. I'm almost assuming that it's a placeholder.

Incentive to find something better asap :getin:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
For anyone that thinks Tywin Lannister is too British sounding to be the Emperor of Nilfgaard (I've seen it brought up a few places):

Remember he spent a ton of time in his youth in the Northern Kingdoms as Duny, and clearly picked up the accent well enough that he was never outed as a Nilfgaardian. Since they're not speaking Nilfgaardian in the trailer, Emhyr is affecting a flawless northern accent.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

The Sharmat posted:

For anyone that thinks Tywin Lannister is too British sounding to be the Emperor of Nilfgaard (I've seen it brought up a few places):

Remember he spent a ton of time in his youth in the Northern Kingdoms as Duny, and clearly picked up the accent well enough that he was never outed as a Nilfgaardian. Since they're not speaking Nilfgaardian in the trailer, Emhyr is affecting a flawless northern accent.

Charles Dance is a brilliant enough actor that even if I knew beforehand he was supposed to have a different accent, I wouldn't care.

I do wish the alien elves had something stranger than a Mouth of Sauron affectation though. They could probably find a nice Polish voice actor to make them stand out.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
In the trailer a sound effect plays when the screen transitions to the crows exploding out of the hangman's tree that set my nostalgia circuit haywire. I think it's a sound effect from Witcher 1 that plays when you went to the in-game menu for the Witcher 1. It made me feel so badass just to change options.

Rdubs
Jun 2, 2014

Lycus posted:

Knowing stuff from the books helps, but I feel like there are a lot of pieces to put together in the games if you really pay attention.

Witcher 1
1) For some reason, the Wild Hunt keeps an eye on you throughout W1.
2) For some reason, the Wild Hunt wanted to take Alvin/Jacques, someone born with powerful magic abilities.

Witcher 2
3) For some reason, the Wild Hunt had let you go after you spent some time with them.
4) Ciri was a young girl that was close to Geralt and was powerful enough to save Geralt and Yennefer's lives.
5) The elves from the other world need Elder Blood to travel between worlds.

I cannot remember if they talk about what Elder Blood is beyond that.
e: Apparently, there's an in-game lore book that talks about Elder Blood.

Agree completely. I guess my point was, I wonder how many people outside of this forum would know who the girl being referenced by the emperor is. Anyone paying attention should know that the Wild Hunt exists, and that it is bad. But how many know who exactly returned after all these years. So no doubt that Ciri will play a pivotal role, heck it's looking like the main quest will be to find her and save her from the Hunt.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
I've only played Witcher 1 and 2 and I don't know who the hell Yennifer or Ciri is aside from what people are saying here. I didn't realize the books were that popular.

Also I thought the Nilfgaardians were the enemy in the Witcher 2, although I didn't finish the last act.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

theDOWmustflow posted:

I've only played Witcher 1 and 2 and I don't know who the hell Yennifer or Ciri is aside from what people are saying here. I didn't realize the books were that popular.
Witcher 2:

Ciri is the "young girl with ashen hair" in the report about the riot that Roche reads at the beginning of the game. Geralt identifies her by name in a later flashback, she saved Geralt and Yennefer after they apparently died in the riot.

Yennefer is the dark-haired sorceress that "died" with you at the riot. In later flashbacks, she's taken by the Wild Hunt and Geralt goes on a journey to find them, where he meets Letho & friends. In an even later flashback, you learn that when you all found the Wild Hunt, Geralt traded himself for Yennefer. Geralt was taken away by the Wild Hunt. At the end of the game, Letho tells you that he and his friends took care of Yennefer until they were captured by the Nilfgaardians. That was the last time he saw her.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 6, 2014

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Palpek posted:

Things changed a lot in Warsaw. I lived there for a few months not that long ago and it's just fantastic how many new cool places have been created in the last few years. Night life really owns.

I'm not a huge night life person, but I'm big on concerts. It's not as good as LA by any measure, but it's not terrible. I'm going to see St Vincent next week!

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

theDOWmustflow posted:

They aren't, it's survey bias. We are on a nerdy forum for nerds who like the Witcher games enough to be posting about them a year before the new one comes out and like two years after the last one.

theDOWmustflow posted:

Also I thought the Nilfgaardians were the enemy in the Witcher 2, although I didn't finish the last act.

Geralt generally tries to stay out of politics as much as he can. His response to "but the Nilfgaardians might take over" is usually "ehhh whatever."

He's really only after Letho(depending on your choices) or Triss(Depending on your choices) which potentially requires the death of a bunch of Nilfgaardians that are in your way.

But Nilfgaardians aren't his enemies, a lot of them were/are his friends. Shilard and Renuald aep Matsen though? You bet.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Trailer was awesome!
I'll probably get a collector's edition, assuming it's not prohibitively expensive.
Also: 'sup Warsaw goons

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Ice Fist posted:

Chainmail pauldrons on top of a chainmail shirt might just be the dumbest armor I've ever seen, except perhaps boobplate.

Game developers: Pauldrons are always stupid garbage stop putting them on everything.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Basically, the enemy in the final act isn't about politics, which Geralt doesn't really give a poo poo about, it's about who's holding the person you're trying to rescue, of which there are three options. Nilfgaardians are one possibility.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 6, 2014

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I can't activate my W1 steam key on GoG for the discount and don't have the printer needed for the replacement key procedure, am I stuck with the expensive version of W3?

Norsu
Mar 16, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I'm curious who the man in the iron mask is.

Cynthia from Witcher 2 perhaps?

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Jesus that trailer :stare:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I think the Operator's mask looks different but that's the first thing I thought of.

New girl seems oddly familiar to me, does anyone think she resembles a particular actress?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jun 6, 2014

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Leb posted:

Yennefer:

This photobomb is awesome.

I will not reveal the wu-tang secret, but there is another semi-photobomb in the trailer that someone just pointed out to me. It's near the start.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Lycus posted:

New girl seems oddly familiar to me, does anyone think she resembles a particular actress?
The brunette? Looks like the actor from game of thrones, the one with curly hair helping bran.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think Yennefer slightly resembles Kate Beckinsale myself.

EDIT: The other photobomb is Letho.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 6, 2014

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

The Sharmat posted:

I think Yennefer slightly resembles Kate Beckinsale myself.

EDIT: The other photobomb is Letho.

I can neither confirm or deny, but it's not the one I was talking about. There is another character that everybody is missing.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I can neither confirm or deny, but it's not the one I was talking about. There is another character that everybody is missing.

The deformed dwarf in Geralt's horse?

I read the books time ago, is he from the books or an original character?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

The deformed dwarf in Geralt's horse?

I read the books time ago, is he from the books or an original character?

Holy poo poo, I've tried to spot something, went second by second in that part with dark forest, and I've missed that... I'd be funny if that's doppler Tellico Lunngrevink Letorte.

Rdubs
Jun 2, 2014

Well if it's the scene where they are all on horseback, there is one guy who looks like he was the older fellow riding with Geralt when they save that woman in the other trailer about to be hanged. The scene with the Witcher Friends going to work, Vesemir and Lambert and I think Eskel but they were already called out. Coen died at Brenna and not sure we ever knew what he looked like. There aren't a lot of scenes early on left after those. The guy overlooking Kaer Morhen is probably Geralt but if someone can figure out that it is someone different, I bow down.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I have no idea who the other photobomb is but I am guessing maybe Siegfried is one of the mounted people.

Rdubs
Jun 2, 2014

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

They aren't, it's survey bias. We are on a nerdy forum for nerds who like the Witcher games enough to be posting about them a year before the new one comes out and like two years after the last one.

Exactly this. And trying to figure out who the girl was in the beginning and being referenced to by the Emperor also seems to have even stumped Erik Kain of Forbes, who is probably more like the average Witcher fan who hasn't read the books. He also seems to think that the woman being referenced to by the Emperor is Yennefer. It's easy to understand because Geralt actually asks about her and she's mentioned a lot more than Ciri is in the game, especially towards the end of the second. Also, you see the comic-book pictures of Yen holding Geralt in the flashbacks in TW2.

No doubt CDPR is going to write some great material bringing these less-than-Superfans up to speed on who Ciri is and why she is important. Especially the prophecy.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/06/05/the-witcher-3-new-e3-trailer-screenshots-and-release-date-announced/

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm kind of hoping that after TW3 comes out they go back and redo the first game to the standards of the other two. It's such a hard game to get back into after playing TW2. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the devs now. :allears:

This photobomb is awesome.

I will not reveal the wu-tang secret, but there is another semi-photobomb in the trailer that someone just pointed out to me. It's near the start.
Is it Vesemir?

E: Just noticed the loving Noonwraiths. Oh god no.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 6, 2014

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Wow, just saw the trailer! I guess we should say "I'm gunna know her!"

Haha

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

I'm kind of hoping that after TW3 comes out they go back and redo the first game to the standards of the other two. It's such a hard game to get back into after playing TW2. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the devs now. :allears:

Is it Vesemir?

I hope for some other IP, honestly. I'd rather wait another 5-10 years and have them redo whole trilogy on one engine.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

alex314 posted:

Holy poo poo, I've tried to spot something, went second by second in that part with dark forest, and I've missed that... I'd be funny if that's doppler Tellico Lunngrevink Letorte.

Was watching the IGN Rewind video and was surprised they spotted him too.

I had to stop the video at 1:59 because I thought I saw monster :dong:. 0.25 speed reveals it was just legs :eyepop:.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Yeah, the one I'm talking about is the "deformed dwarf" riding w/ Geralt. I can't say anything about that character, but I noticed that no one seemed to have spotted him yet.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Not surprising given what happened in the Witcher 2: EE epilogue, but that's totally the throne room in Vizima you meet Emhyr var Emreis in:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Now that this thread is up here... what's the opinion in the FCR2 mod for Witcher 2? I read mixed impressions in they day, but since then it has been patched a pair of times.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Turin Turambar posted:

Now that this thread is up here... what's the opinion in the FCR2 mod for Witcher 2? I read mixed impressions in they day, but since then it has been patched a pair of times.

I would say it sucks, skip it.

It does some interesting things but also breaks a bunch of other stuff.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Yeah, the one I'm talking about is the "deformed dwarf" riding w/ Geralt. I can't say anything about that character, but I noticed that no one seemed to have spotted him yet.

I did, and my guess it's a dopler.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Oh man, glad I kept my old boxed PC games in the closet. I had to dig it out to find Witcher. Give me that sweet, sweet 20% discount GoG.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

hopterque posted:

It does some interesting things but also breaks a bunch of other stuff.

This is pretty accurate; I just recently had to quit a playthrough because the game was indeed becoming thoroughly broken by the mod. Yes, it makes combat quite a bit more fluid (really liked the auto-blocking and increased roll speed) but at the expense of taking a crowbar to elements like crafting, quest rewards, and the merchants, in the end making them completely irrelevant. It was telling that I was still using the save import items (the swords and Raven's Armor, specifically) halfway into Chapter 2 because there was nothing even approaching the stats of those items, even in unique craftables like the meteorite swords.

One could say I simply should had played on a difficulty higher than Normal, and they definitely could be right on that, but nevertheless I feel that FCR really savages that sense of progression; yes, I know you're supposed to be an all-powerful witcher lore-wise, and the mod makes you really feel like one. Problem is, it does it at great expense to the actual game mechanics.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Am I the only one wishing CD Project would make a Game of Thrones game after watching the Wild Hunt trailer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

mcbexx posted:

Am I the only one wishing CD Project would make a Game of Thrones game after watching the Wild Hunt trailer?

There's probably quite a few nerds who don't like originality and like wasting incredible talent on derivatives that would love this idea.

• Locked thread