Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I like Dragon Age Origins, it's a good game and I enjoy replaying it. I hope this game is more like it and less like 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Average Bear posted:

I like Dragon Age Origins, it's a good game and I enjoy replaying it. I hope this game is more like it and less like 2.

Right. I see no reason to shun a company for making one bad game. Of course you should be careful: If you preorder, do it with the risk that Inquisition could be a flop in mind. I will only buy the game after it's been out at least a week and more credible sources than "games journalists" can comment on how good or bad the game really is. I can still decide to buy it then.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I suppose it will all come down to how much Bioware did or did not learn from DA2 and ME3. Fingers crossed, but I'm not preordering.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah basically I'm probably gonna buy it no matter what, I'm not kidding myself. But I am gonna wait a week or two most likely and then if it seems okay I'll buy it full price, otherwise it's time to wait till it's on sale.

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011
Reading these threads makes me enjoy these games a lot less. Some of you make an art form out of hating these games. (Incoming half-witty comment about the games not being art)

Can't there be one thread for discussing the game and one thread for specs and nerdy min/maxing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I loved ME3 (except the ending) and I thought DA2 was only mediocre, not really particularly bad at all. I mean I played through the whole thing and it must have been at least 20+ hours and I can't recall being bored with it

it had a lot of room for improvement though

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 6, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zzulu posted:

I loved ME3 (except the ending) and I thought DA2 was only mediocre, not really particularly bad at all. I mean I played through the whole thing and it must have been at least 20+ hours and I can't recall being bored with it

it had a lot of room for improvement though

I played ME3 only after the ending got adjusted and all the DLC was out. I came away perfectly happy even with the ending.

Kai Leng was the dumbest thing though. HE HOLDS HIS SPACE KATANA...BACKWARDS?!

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN
So is the Witcher worth playing or what?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Shadow gamer posted:

The first one? God no. God no. The second one might be depending on how you like the characters and setting though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kajeesus posted:

"Serah" is a title in Dragon Age, though

My favorite part of the Witcher was when I brought the cop dude to someone's house party.

:ninja: "Hey guys, this is Sigurd or whatever. He saved me from sewer monsters and told me I was a cool dude when I saved some folks from literal terrorists." (the terrorists were elves who sorta aimlessly kidnap and murder people because racism exists)

:mad: "Holy loving poo poo, Geralt, you're a racist shiteater. I can't believe we're friends."

Such deep, grey morality.

what are your feelings on the IRA

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yeah uh "because racism exists" is a pretty bad, American way to read the elven situation in the Witcher. We aren't talking 20th century American racism towards blacks, that's not the situation elves deal with. Witcher elves are essentially at any given moment one riot gone wrong away from being ethnically cleansed by their neighbors.

Doesn't take much to get a peasant mob fixing to go murder and rape and torture some elves (and/or dwarves).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Shadow gamer posted:

The first one has some parts that will really test your patience but if you can stomach those parts the rest of the game is pretty good.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Lotish posted:

The first one has some parts that will really test your patience but if you can stomach those parts the rest of the game is pretty good.

Same can be said about the second game. The problem isn't quality though, games' great from the start, but it's pretty tough and unforgiving at the start too which turns a lot of people off. I think they fixed that with the gigantic "extended edition" patch though, adding a tutorial and adjusting the early parts of the game.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm referring to the one specific sidequest where they grab some random peasants and lock them in a tomb full of monsters. I recall them explicitly stating that none of the peasants had ever actually done anyhing; they just really felt like murdering up some humans.

Alouicious posted:

what are your feelings on the IRA

eh, i didn't find their situation that believable

the "british empire" was some grrm poo poo

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Shadow gamer posted:

To be fair, this question is better asked in the Witcher thread. I've only played TW2.

It's not a party-based game like DA, so it's just you fighting poo poo (with very, very few occasions where someone will help out.) The game has a somewhat steep learning curve, and kind of throws you into the middle of a story and expects you to either figure it out or just go with the flow. It has some of the trappings of games from the time when it was released, like stealth segments (which aren't implemented well since it isn't a stealth game) and quick-time events. There's a decent amount of reactivity in the game depending on your choices - not as much as Alpha Protocol but a lot compared to most games. The interfaces can be pretty cryptic. I'd just play the game on easy which makes a lot of my criticisms mute.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Shadow gamer posted:

I bought 2 in a steam sale and gave up extremely early on because combat was so poo poo. Try a demo or something if you can imo

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Penakoto posted:

Same can be said about the second game. The problem isn't quality though, games' great from the start, but it's pretty tough and unforgiving at the start too which turns a lot of people off. I think they fixed that with the gigantic "extended edition" patch though, adding a tutorial and adjusting the early parts of the game.

I don't know if I'd even call Witcher combat legitimately tough. It's more that there's a right way and a wrong way to fight. The right way is to use Quen, even after the nerfs. The wrong way is to not use Quen.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Eh, I had the most fun upgrading the crowd style and just using it on 90% of fights. Draw as many monsters together as you can and hit them with your rhythm stick.

Oh, wait, second game. Yeah, I didn't get far enough in that game to even really explore the level up system.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Captain Oblivious posted:

Witcher elves are essentially at any given moment one riot gone wrong away from being ethnically cleansed by their neighbors.

Not to detract from the statement or anything... but how does a riot go right?

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
The issue that comes to mind about Witcher 2 is that the difficulty doesn't really stay steady through the game. It felt much harder in the beginning when you have less skills, which would make sense, but later in the game when you're much higher powered the monsters don't seem to get harder to compensate, so you end up destroying everything easily.

I still liked it though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

BenRGamer posted:

Not to detract from the statement or anything... but how does a riot go right?

Well it usually goes one of two ways: Either you get a band of angry motherfuckers and go (attempt to) gently caress up the people who are legitimately responsible for your problems (most likely the aristocracy) or you go and round up a bunch of people who are even more powerless than you to kill them, because it's by far the easiest way for the peasantry to feel powerful and in control of their destiny.

In the Witchers case the latter scenario refers to elves but it could be any whipping boy minority. Eastern European Muslims, Jews, etc.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Sera looks like Genesis P Orridge.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Overbite posted:

Sera looks like Genesis P Orridge.

Holy poo poo, you're right. Now I can't unsee it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

IPlayVideoGames posted:

The issue that comes to mind about Witcher 2 is that the difficulty doesn't really stay steady through the game. It felt much harder in the beginning when you have less skills, which would make sense, but later in the game when you're much higher powered the monsters don't seem to get harder to compensate, so you end up destroying everything easily.

Except for the boss at the end of Act 2, gently caress that guy.

I think the dumbest part of TW2 for me was during Act 2 on Roche's path, when you head to Vergen and then have to get the Sword of Whatever to lift the curse. You have to crawl through an entire dungeon, not to defeat some monster to get the sword, but to talk to the person who has the sword. The person who lives in Vergen. Why don't they just come back and meet me in town instead of sending me through Orzammar Junior? Stupid padding.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
As far as character customization- yes, I appreciate being able to play as a female, even if it is cosmetic. Although, with voice acting, it does become more than cosmetic for me- I loved my female Shepard. I could take or leave female Hawke, but I'm hoping the announcement of Gwendolyn Christie means she's voicing the protagonist.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah if some of the voices are good/bad that will be a big factor in choosing my Inquisitor's gender. If we can be Brienne Inquisitor that would probably make me play a woman.

We heard a little bit of the male English accent Inquisitor on that gameplay video, and it wasn't that great, sounded a lot like male Hawke.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Meanwhile the whole reason I beat DA2 multiple times is because I loved FemHawke's VA. Funnily enough, she is also the VA for the IA in Swtor, and is the best VA in the game.

Not a huge Hale fan, meanwhile.

Also, I am doing my hardest to find the best combination to break dialogue in my Origins run - dwarf human noble mage. So far it hasn't gotten too weird. Cailan did do the "Oh, you are a dwarf right? I haven't ever met a dwarf!" Line, then went on to ask me about how my family was doing up at the estate.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

KittyEmpress posted:

Also, I am doing my hardest to find the best combination to break dialogue in my Origins run - dwarf human noble mage. So far it hasn't gotten too weird. Cailan did do the "Oh, you are a dwarf right? I haven't ever met a dwarf!" Line, then went on to ask me about how my family was doing up at the estate.

Wait...how are you doing a dwarf HUMAN noble mage?

Also, Iron Bull is confirmed:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Some sort of hacking, I would assume, since all of those are mutually exclusive :v:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm using the uh "All Origins" mod, which lets any race be any class with any origin.

:v: It's amusing, and lets me play a mage without playing the mage origin for the 5th+ time

Leelee posted:

Well gosh, Iron Bull, if you aimed a horizontal slash at them and got both arms, you'd get four pieces. How have you never just considered doing that?

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

KittyEmpress posted:

I'm using the uh "All Origins" mod, which lets any race be any class with any origin.

:v: It's amusing, and lets me play a mage without playing the mage origin for the 5th+ time

I hate the mage origin out of all of them- I know people don't like the Dalish origin, but at least it's short. The mage one seems to drag on and has...Jowan. I hate Jowan- his whiny voice just grates on me.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Leelee posted:

Bioware sure loves their quirky dialog. What a crazy thing for a character to say!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Leelee posted:

I hate the mage origin out of all of them- I know people don't like the Dalish origin, but at least it's short. The mage one seems to drag on and has...Jowan. I hate Jowan- his whiny voice just grates on me.

Yeah, I really find the Mage Origin to be my least favorite. Yet it's my most played one because mages are literally the most fun to play.

I'd probably rank the Origins as Dwarf Noble > City Elf > Human Noble > Dwarf Commoner > Dalish Elf > Mage.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Leelee posted:

Ah, The Black Whirlwind is back I see.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

At least his head looks like it might be the right size now.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Lotish posted:

At least his head looks like it might be the right size now.
Seriously, I still have no idea what the gently caress with that picture. :psyduck:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Ah, The Black Whirlwind is back I see.

Also Minsc, Korgan, Wrex, Grunt, Vega, and Oghren.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Sweet. I love those guys.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah, I really find the Mage Origin to be my least favorite. Yet it's my most played one because mages are literally the most fun to play.

I'd probably rank the Origins as Dwarf Noble > City Elf > Human Noble > Dwarf Commoner > Dalish Elf > Mage.

During the Mage Origin, I wish there was a dialogue choice that was along the line of, "gently caress you all, I'm glad I'm gone from your stupid tower," after Duncan recruits you. But yeah, Mage Origin is bad because essentially you're dragged into a plan that wasn't going to end well from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

That line actually gives be hope that IB is more like a qunari-flavored Jayne than Sten 3.0.

• Locked thread