Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

VeXoR posted:

I'm looking for some feedback on my build that is going to be used for gaming (Dota 2, Marvel Heroes, Dark Souls 2, Any FPS) and minor video editing (tons of travel & gopro videos - also starting to dabble with Source Filmmaker.)

Are there any glaring errors or omissions? Should I be getting some cooling? Is any component particularly overkill for my needs? Is 620W enough power?

I'm also looking for guidance on a suitable case for this rig. Thanks very much!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: MSI H97 Guard-Pro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($103.42 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($99.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($155.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($107.79 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($449.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1237.14
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-05 18:51 EDT-0400)

What resolution will you be playing at? If it's 1080p-1200p the 290 seems way overkill.

You can get cheaper RAM, and I'm not too sure on the PSU. I don't know much about it but the word gamer in it throws me off, others in the thread will have more information that. Powerwise you'd fine 550-600w.

As for case, we're all gonna suggest something micro-ATX (Corsair 350D being one of the cheaper/better options), so you'd have to get a micro-ATX board which would be like $10-15 cheaper.

Also holy poo poo at Canadian prices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

drat NIGGA posted:

What resolution will you be playing at? If it's 1080p-1200p the 290 seems way overkill.

You can get cheaper RAM, and I'm not too sure on the PSU. I don't know much about it but the word gamer in it throws me off, others in the thread will have more information that. Powerwise you'd fine 550-600w.

As for case, we're all gonna suggest something micro-ATX (Corsair 350D being one of the cheaper/better options), so you'd have to get a micro-ATX board which would be like $10-15 cheaper.

Also holy poo poo at Canadian prices

The High Current Gamer series is one of the ones we recommend in the OP (or we did back in the old OP). They're a perfectly fine budget PSU.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 6, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Aw man, the last few parts I need for my build should be coming in tomorrow. It's been so long since I've upgraded my gaming poo poo, I'm super hyped. Only downside is that it's making it hard to get motivated to play anything on my current rig.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
I was thinking about getting another GTX 670 to SLI with my existing 670. Is this a good idea? I wouldnt mind the second card to be dedicated to running phyx processing if needed. I havent heard anything new down the nvidia pipeline.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
What is the rationale for not going Seagate?

I'm guessing the SSHD is a gimmick then??

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
In reading a review for the Fractal Design Mini

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2013/11/22/fractal-design-arc-mini-r2-review/4

I saw a mention of the TJ08-E, which is similar to the Fractal Design but also has a filtered front 180mm fan, which is amazing

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2011/09/07/silverstone-tj08-e-review/

But it has a "lateral" hard drive cage, which seems to mean that the hard drives will get in the way of the Hyper 212 cooler, and the only solution is to switch the Hyper 212 fan to the rear:

I assumed pull only with a cooler was a bad thing, but maybe it's ok if you have no other choice?

It seems you can also turn the hard drive cage 90 degrees, although this means securing it with velcro or something, which is kind of amusing but doable I guess. This might be an option as well.

Or is the Fractal Design Mini an overall better case aside from the lack of removable motherboard tray and dual front 120mm fans instead of single 180mm?

EDIT: There is also the Ximatek Aquilla or Aerocool Dead Silence, which both look like proper MicroATX versions of the Bitfenix Prodigy, rather than that weird cramped Prodigy-M thing

http://www.technologyx.com/featured/xigmatek-aquila-micro-atx-case/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTNfw0Knnns

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dead-silence-gaming-case,3640.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_uHdfQZ834

So it's got plenty of room for a couple hard drives and a Hyper 212 with nothing to get in the way. The downside is that front filter removal on the Aquila requires popping off the front panel and messing with some tabs, and the Dead Silence has no filter at all (I guess I can add a magnetic filter at least?)

If only someone made more of these Prodigy-style cases but with easy front filters, but I guess it's still a new idea so I can't expect much variety yet.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 6, 2014

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

CheeseSpawn posted:

I was thinking about getting another GTX 670 to SLI with my existing 670. Is this a good idea? I wouldnt mind the second card to be dedicated to running phyx processing if needed. I havent heard anything new down the nvidia pipeline.

Why do you want to do it? At 1080p your 670 is still pretty drat good. SLI is best reserved for resolutions higher, and being willing to deal with annoyances of dual card setup. Having a 2nd card dedicated to PhysX is a horrible idea.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

But it has a "lateral" hard drive cage, which seems to mean that the hard drives will get in the way of the Hyper 212 cooler
Iirc, if you're only using a 2.5" and a 3.5" you can fit them in them in the lowest two slots that are attached to the bottom of the case and then take out the drive cage.

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013
So I want to make a new build. I've been pricing everything out all week and came up with the below. At first I was willing to spend 2k, but then I realized after reading everywhere that there really is no such thing as future proofing and I guess I was trying to go overkill. At the same time, every part of me still reallyyyy wants to add another 780 GTX, but I know that's stupid as hell as I really don't play any demanding games. (Wildstar, CS:GO, and I do play the graphics intensive ones once in a while - Metro, Watch_Dogs, etc)

I will be running 3 monitors. My center is a Ben-Q XL2420Z (144Hz native) and either side will be Asus 24" LED 2ms delay screens.

I'd like to use triple monitors for gaming, I just know that right now I don't and I'm not sure how much in the future I would be as right now the games I usually play don't do better with 3 monitors.

I do use the 3 monitors for work purposes though.

How does the build look?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($76.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($479.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99)
Total: $1351.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-06 08:42 EDT-0400)

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

CheeseSpawn posted:

If you can score one for a good price, have the PSU for it, and have somewhere to go graphically then I'm always down for SLI. However if the resale is just too high, you're at 1080p, and/or if you have to buy new components (PSU) then consider selling yours and getting a better single card.

DirtyTalk posted:

So I want to make a new build. I've been pricing everything out all week and came up with the below. At first I was willing to spend 2k, but then I realized after reading everywhere that there really is no such thing as future proofing and I guess I was trying to go overkill. At the same time, every part of me still reallyyyy wants to add another 780 GTX, but I know that's stupid as hell as I really don't play any demanding games. (Wildstar, CS:GO, and I do play the graphics intensive ones once in a while - Metro, Watch_Dogs, etc)

I will be running 3 monitors. My center is a Ben-Q XL2420Z (144Hz native) and either side will be Asus 24" LED 2ms delay screens.

I'd like to use triple monitors for gaming, I just know that right now I don't and I'm not sure how much in the future I would be as right now the games I usually play don't do better with 3 monitors.

How does the build look?

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($76.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($479.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99)

-Wait for a 4690k. I'm assuming you want to overclock now or later, and this is a big deal for that (heat improvements).

-I agree on not future proofing and all that, but if there is a place to drop a little money for overclocking its the motherboard. I don't have any specific Z97 recommendations right now but perhaps start by looking at the ASRock Extreme6. Do you actually live near a Microcenter ( the CPU price here)? If so there will probably be bundle deals. Find a mobo with the slots and ports you need, with good power delivery, and with an Intec NIC. These are usually in the $150 range (for overclocking, just basing on k processor and higher end cooling here) and up so if you want to start around there.

-People don't like huge ram heatsinks but you are watercooled and that is 1866 mhz so I can't really fault it

-Power supply is overkill, however if you do want room to SLI another 780 then you could probably go for 800 or so. Others might know more about that. I'm not all that knowledgeable on 3 monitor gaming honestly so I can't really comment on how a single 780 is going to do here. It's usually blatant overkill for a single 1080p though

-I'd get an additional hard drive

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 6, 2014

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Unless there's some specific reason you want an Nvidia card the R9 290 has the same performance as the 780 and can be had for $100-150 cheaper right now.

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013

Ignoarints posted:

If you can score one for a good price, have the PSU for it, and have somewhere to go graphically then I'm always down for SLI. However if the resale is just too high, you're at 1080p, and/or if you have to buy new components (PSU) then consider selling yours and getting a better single card.

-Wait for a 4690k. I'm assuming you want to overclock now or later, and this is a big deal for that (heat improvements).

-I agree on not future proofing and all that, but if there is a place to drop a little money for overclocking its the motherboard. I don't have any specific Z97 recommendations right now but perhaps start by looking at the ASRock Extreme6. Do you actually live near a Microcenter ( the CPU price here)? If so there will probably be bundle deals. Find a mobo with the slots and ports you need, with good power delivery, and with an Intec NIC. These are usually in the $150 range (for overclocking, just basing on k processor and higher end cooling here) and up so if you want to start around there.

-People don't like huge ram heatsinks but you are watercooled and that is 1866 mhz so I can't really fault it

-Power supply is overkill, however if you do want room to SLI another 780 then you could probably go for 800 or so. Others might know more about that. I'm not all that knowledgeable on 3 monitor gaming honestly so I can't really comment on how a single 780 is going to do here. It's usually blatant overkill for a single 1080p though

-I'd get an additional hard drive

Thanks a lot for the input. You make some valid points so I'm definitely going to take another look again. I kind of really hate the "wait for X part" mantra in PC building, mostly because it very easily can turn into a vicious cycle. I 'waited' for a few things when I did my first ever build, and just remember that I waited 2 months for something that was a negligible improvement. On the other hand, this case I can see why it might benefit me more. With MMO's being processor heavy I'd like to have as much clean processor power as possible and I have heard that the current chips run pretty hot. I may have to just chill on this like you said.

I do live near a Microcenter and that's why the MSI Mobo is so cheap as well as the processor. They have great processor/mobo combos. If I do wait for the refreshed chip, I'm not sure if there will be a good discount as well, so that's something to consider again.

The PSU was with the possibility that I would go for another 780 in the future. I think there is also a Seasonic 850 out there somewhere that is supposed to be high quality and not much more expensive. I could look into that one.

The hard drive I was waiting on as I have a slave that I use in my current PC that I'm just going to migrate over. It's not that old (3 years old).

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

DirtyTalk posted:

Thanks a lot for the input. You make some valid points so I'm definitely going to take another look again. I kind of really hate the "wait for X part" mantra in PC building, mostly because it very easily can turn into a vicious cycle. I 'waited' for a few things when I did my first ever build, and just remember that I waited 2 months for something that was a negligible improvement. On the other hand, this case I can see why it might benefit me more. With MMO's being processor heavy I'd like to have as much clean processor power as possible and I have heard that the current chips run pretty hot. I may have to just chill on this like you said.

I do live near a Microcenter and that's why the MSI Mobo is so cheap as well as the processor. They have great processor/mobo combos. If I do wait for the refreshed chip, I'm not sure if there will be a good discount as well, so that's something to consider again.

The PSU was with the possibility that I would go for another 780 in the future. I think there is also a Seasonic 850 out there somewhere that is supposed to be high quality and not much more expensive. I could look into that one.

The hard drive I was waiting on as I have a slave that I use in my current PC that I'm just going to migrate over. It's not that old (3 years old).

The good news is you don't have to wait that long. But I don't know if they're doing bundles immediately (I'm just glad they're pricing them so well off the bat really). But it is completely and totally worth it for overclocking. Stock Haswell thermals are just really bad for this in particular.

Like Maxxbot said 290's are better for the money these days if you want AMD. I tend to assume people want a particular brand passed a certain price point but another thing to consider

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013
Yeah I've been seeing that R9 suggestion quite a bit. I guess it's just a certain amount of brand loyalty. I've gone Intel/nVidia for years, and all my nVidia cards were EVGA. I had one Radeon card and I felt like it just wasn't as compatible quick with drivers for games and I had more driver issues. $100 bucks is $100 bucks though.

edit: compatible wasn't the right word I'm stupid. I just remember having some instances where games I tried to play had certain issues with my card. (this is back in 2006 tho)

DirtyTalk fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 6, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DirtyTalk posted:

Yeah I've been seeing that R9 suggestion quite a bit. I guess it's just a certain amount of brand loyalty. I've gone Intel/nVidia for years, and all my nVidia cards were EVGA. I had one Radeon card and I felt like it just wasn't as compatible with other games and I had more driver issues. $100 bucks is $100 bucks though.
Game compatibility isn't a thing. Brand loyalty is silly because they all run the same code. Performance and value are what matter, and the 290 is the undisputed king.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

DirtyTalk posted:

Yeah I've been seeing that R9 suggestion quite a bit. I guess it's just a certain amount of brand loyalty. I've gone Intel/nVidia for years, and all my nVidia cards were EVGA. I had one Radeon card and I felt like it just wasn't as compatible with other games and I had more driver issues. $100 bucks is $100 bucks though.

Wasn't compatible with certain games? I have never seen that in my time with either NVIDIA or ATI (AMD) cards, to be honest.

Each has had lovely drivers at times, on Windows unless you want a specific feature, that's pretty much a wash, especially as far as single cards go.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

HalloKitty posted:

Wasn't compatible with certain games? I have never seen that in my time with either NVIDIA or ATI (AMD) cards, to be honest.

Each has had lovely drivers at times, on Windows unless you want a specific feature, that's pretty much a wash, especially as far as single cards go.

Brink and Rage come to mind. Rage was unplayable for maybe a week or so on AMD cards, and Brink released and died before it was playable on AMD. All of the Crysis games have always taken some extra fiddling for me to fullscreen properly at 1080p on AMD.

I keep telling myself my next card will be Nvidia as everything Just Worked™ when I had one, but I keep buying AMD as I always find one discounted and way ahead of the equivalent Nvidia card for the price. Good thing too since I don't remember any problems that seemed AMD-specific for quite a while; Rage is the last I can think of.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

DirtyTalk posted:

How does the build look?

That MSI gamer board has a Killer NIC. I presume that's still a source of instability that wasn't solely a Z87 problem?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

teh_Broseph posted:

I keep telling myself my next card will be Nvidia as everything Just Worked™ when I had one, but I keep buying AMD as I always find one discounted and way ahead of the equivalent Nvidia card for the price. Good thing too since I don't remember any problems that seemed AMD-specific for quite a while; Rage is the last I can think of.

Coincidentally, this was directly related to the OpenGL vendor rant posted a few pages back, AMD's OGL Extensions are hacks upon hacks upon hacks.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

deimos posted:

Coincidentally, this was directly related to the OpenGL vendor rant posted a few pages back, AMD's OGL Extensions are hacks upon hacks upon hacks.
Does anyone use OpenGL anymore though?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Any thoughts on computer speakers? I'm tired of the bass muffling out in the Hotline Miami soundtrack. I need something crisp and loud and preferably recommended by someone who knows to laugh when Monster Cables are brought up.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Josh Lyman posted:

Does anyone use OpenGL anymore though?

Thanks to things like Steam/Linux and PS4 development OpenGL is making a comeback. (Unity doesn't really count because it's back on 2.1 to cater to OSX.)

Also Intel's direct graphics drivers are actually sort of decent at OpenGL; it's just most people get Windows Update drivers which have literally no OpenGL acceleration (and everyone has bad OpenGL drivers on OSX because MacOS won't go to 4.anything).

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013

Cheekio posted:

Any thoughts on computer speakers? I'm tired of the bass muffling out in the Hotline Miami soundtrack. I need something crisp and loud and preferably recommended by someone who knows to laugh when Monster Cables are brought up.

Honestly the Logitech 2.1 system is not bad. I'm heavy into music (and previously music production) and they sound pretty crisp and you have that subwoofer for the extra bass if you need it (which can also be adjusted manually on the sub itself)

edit: these dudes - http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/speaker-system-z523?crid=47

DirtyTalk fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 6, 2014

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Cheekio posted:

There's a computer speakers thread here.

Basically, just buy either:
Audioengine A5+
Audioengine A2+
M-Audio AV40
or Klipsch Promedia 2.1

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Lolcano Eruption posted:

There's a computer speakers thread here.

Basically, just buy either:
Audioengine A5+
Audioengine A2+
M-Audio AV40
or Klipsch Promedia 2.1

Add KRK Rokits to that list also, I find their sound much better than the above alternatives.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

DirtyTalk posted:

I've generally been happier with nvidia drivers over AMD, but it's kind of splitting hairs. I've had more AMD cards than nvidia, and way back in the day I'd never buy an nvidia card. I've only stuck to them in the last 6 months because from January to May or so the prices were out of control on AMD and at the time I wasn't interested in crossfire in any card I was looking to buy. That has changed now but I guess I'm just on an nvidia bender (although, legitimately very happy with the driver support this year)

Buy whatever is best for the dollar. I like the idea of 290's a lot since they are all around better at handling memory intense features of games over a 780. That might be really apparent in a 3 monitor game setup too

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Does AMD have a Shadowplay equivalent now? Is it any good?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

fletcher posted:

No, there are no NVFBC and NVIFR analogues for AMD.

deimos fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 6, 2014

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
The onboard Ethernet on my current 1155 motherboard just went out, and in the course of looking at replacement options I see there are boards using Z77 and Z77A chipsets. Is this a marketing thing or is there an actual difference? I've tried searching but I just get drowned in motherboard reviews and none of them seem to acknowledge this.

This is for my main gaming PC so I'm really just looking for something with gigabit Ethernet, SATA6 and USB3 which pretty much everything already has. I don't overclock or anything like that.

Any help is appreciated!

Edit: forgot to mention, I'm running an i7-3770 and EVGA GTX770.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 6, 2014

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Peanut3141 posted:

That MSI gamer board has a Killer NIC. I presume that's still a source of instability that wasn't solely a Z87 problem?
Yes.

ShaneB posted:

:siren: Hey, don't get any of the MSI "Gaming" boards, which feature a network interface that can and will bluescreen your computer. :siren:

If you want ATX, go for a ASUS Z97-A motherboard. Alternatively, Corsair Carbide 350D MicroATX case (it will fit your H100i, "There’s room for a full-size liquid CPU cooler and two dual-length radiators,") + ASUS Z97M-Plus in order to save 35 bucks & some space.

Welmu fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 6, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yup, I got a motherboard with a Killer NIC earlier this year and I could not stop it from bluescreening. I hadn't had bluescreens in Windows for several years before getting that board. So I RMA'd it, got a different board and I haven't had a bluescreen since.

Do not buy a motherboard with a Killer NIC.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

H2SO4 posted:

This is for my main gaming PC so I'm really just looking for something with gigabit Ethernet, SATA6 and USB3 which pretty much everything already has. I don't overclock or anything like that.
ASUS P8H77-V for 85 bucks.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

deimos posted:

That alone would cause me to buy nvidia again over AMD, Shadowplay is loving awesome.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Fantastic. Thanks!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

fletcher posted:

deimos posted:

fletcher posted:

That alone would cause me to buy nvidia again over AMD, Shadowplay is loving awesome.
There's no free equivalent, but for $30 Mirillis Action will give you almost no performance hit recording straight to MP4 files just like Shadowplay via AMD's "APP Acceleration" engine on modern AMD cards.

http://mirillis.com/en/products/action.html

It can't do the "record a buffer of the last 30 minutes" thing that Shadowplay does though.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Cardboard Box A posted:

There's no free equivalent, but for $30 Mirillis Action will give you free recording straight to MP4 files just like Shadowplay via AMD's "APP Acceleration" engine on modern AMD cards.

It can't do the "record a buffer of the last 30 minutes" thing that Shadowplay does though.

Is the performance hit (or lack thereof) the same? That's what really blew me away.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

So if I'm looking to upgrade but can only do so in segments would it be best to start with the processor/motherboard or with the graphics card?

For reference my system is:
AMD Phenom 2 X6 1090T
8Gigs of Ram
Gigabyte AMD Raedon HD 7850 2gig

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

There's no free equivalent, but for $30 Mirillis Action will give you almost no performance hit recording straight to MP4 files just like Shadowplay via AMD's "APP Acceleration" engine on modern AMD cards.

No, it's not the same, that will have a big performance impact relative NVFBC/NVIFR, the only thing you're offloading is the video conversion (which, in this case is actually the easy part), not the frame buffer capture. NVFBC has such low overhead for fullscreen games that it seems magical, NVIFR has more impact but it still magic territory.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Elucidarius posted:

So if I'm looking to upgrade but can only do so in segments would it be best to start with the processor/motherboard or with the graphics card?

For reference my system is:
AMD Phenom 2 X6 1090T
8Gigs of Ram
Gigabyte AMD Raedon HD 7850 2gig

These days CPUs can easily last 4+ years while graphics cards still become out of date faster, so I'd buy the processor and mobo first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Cardboard Box A posted:

Which is the best part of Shadowplay in my opinion!

• Locked thread