Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Oh man, Scrapdragon is great. I can't wait to see what kind of poo poo he has to say. The personalities on all the spirits so far have been great, and Scrapdragon just seems great so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
After this page I am much more willing to believe that scrapdragon is an ancient spirit capable of temporarily taking over a spectral. Because, uh, :stare:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Oh wow! Mayview has a really nice lake close by, isn't that cool!

Also, Max's spirit is really huge.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I love that alt text I love this comic that's all

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Uh you've got a little food on your mouth there

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Scrapdragon is apparently roughly the size of the train. Long-lost relatives? :haw:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, half-called that there wouldn't be talking today. Oh well. This page is awesome anyway because, as people have said, the garbage-snake is huge. And also covered in junk. And kind of wormy as well as snakey. Trashworm, garbagesnake, scrapdragon, junk... Can't think of a fourth, dang.

Edit: In addition to the chain-beard it has going on, it also has a bunch of drills and other spikes protruding off of it like horns. Looks a lot more dragon-y with its armor on.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 6, 2014

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
That last panel is amazing. I'd buy a print of it as is.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roland Jones posted:

Trashworm, garbagesnake, scrapdragon, junk... Can't think of a fourth, dang.
Serpent?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just had a thought. If a spectral can surprise a spirit in their inner demesne like this, wouldn't that imply that the spirit is "active" like this all the time? Or at least while near or in a spectral?

If so, are they slowly dragged around by the spectrals daily movements :haw:?

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 6, 2014

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

It would be funny if it turned out scrapdragon talks completely different then possessed Max and it turns out there is a second spirit on the grassy knoll.

Edit: I found a thing

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 6, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whitenoise Poster posted:

It would be funny if it turned out scrapdragon talks completely different then possessed Max and it turns out there is a second spirit on the grassy knoll.

Funnily enough, while the arguments in this thread didn't change my opinion at all, seeing the spirit like this made me think, "...drat, that doesn't look like a 'schemer' that talks like Max did to the Doorman." It's downright monstrous.

Edit: That alt-text is still the best.

Edit again: Going back to compare the garbage-snake's size then to now (a comment was wondering if it looked bigger) has me rereading the comic. I just realized that Max probably stole Isaac's key here with his magnet powers; I knew he was using them throughout the chapter elsewhere but that particular moment passed me by in my earlier readings.

Max's first act after discovering his new powers was to use them to steal his sort-of friend's stuff. PJ was right, Max is a villain, creating his own evil history of superpowers.

Edit the Third: "Boy Undergoing Horrific Transformation Into Pot Correctly Identifies Color of Kettle" is still my favorite line in the comic.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 6, 2014

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I really wonder if in that last panel, ol' Scrappy is actually being aggressive. I mean the dude was just caught lounging around naked. He's probably just issuing a flustered greeting. It's hard to smile nervously at a guest when your face looks like that, though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tollymain posted:

Just had a thought. If a spectral can surprise a spirit in their inner demesne like this, wouldn't that imply that the spirit is "active" like this all the time? Or at least while near or in a spectral?

If so, are they slowly dragged around by the spectrals daily movements :haw:?

I'm personally inclined to believe that Max isn't surprising Scrapdragon at all. The author comments are just a joke, in all likelihood.

Scrapdragon is just big on first impressions.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Okay guys, let's not go crazy here.

That might not be Scrapdragon.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's clearly the train communing with Max using its alternate form.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Slime posted:

I really wonder if in that last panel, ol' Scrappy is actually being aggressive. I mean the dude was just caught lounging around naked. He's probably just issuing a flustered greeting. It's hard to smile nervously at a guest when your face looks like that, though.

I'm starting to think that Mediums/tooled-up Spectrals might get yanked into their spirit's world instinctively whenever they're having a near-death experience. If that's the case, Scrappy's probably annoyed. It's the second time in two days, geez.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Something no one's brought up yet, but scrapdragon's got 2 sets of eyes. One red, and one blue. Currently, it's using the blue set. I wonder if it uses a specific set to show a specific set of emotions and speech patterns. In other words, I wonder if it's...

Bipolar?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Paranatural: punch ghosts real hard while appreciating the struggle of teenage mental health problems

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm personally inclined to believe that Max isn't surprising Scrapdragon at all. The author comments are just a joke, in all likelihood.

Scrapdragon is just big on first impressions.

Yeah, I actually have to agree with this. We won't know until Monday, probably, but I think it's more "Scrapdragon is trying to look cool" than "Scrapdragon is legitimately surprised" it could just be taken either way and the latter makes for a funnier joke.

Roland Jones posted:

Funnily enough, while the arguments in this thread didn't change my opinion at all, seeing the spirit like this made me think, "...drat, that doesn't look like a 'schemer' that talks like Max did to the Doorman." It's downright monstrous.

That said, I'm pretty much both ways about this. On the one hand Scrapdragon really doesn't look like a "schemer" at all, but on the other hand he's big and monstrous enough that I'm pretty cool with buying him being capable of some hardcore poo poo that could get Doorman shaken up.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

neogeo0823 posted:

Something no one's brought up yet, but scrapdragon's got 2 sets of eyes. One red, and one blue. Currently, it's using the blue set. I wonder if it uses a specific set to show a specific set of emotions and speech patterns. In other words, I wonder if it's...

Bipolar?

Looks to me like the eyes can change color freely between red and blue. In the central panel there's red on top, blue on bottom. In the last panel everything is blue. If you hover on the link banner gizmo, it's blue on top, red on bottom.

Rethy
Feb 24, 2014

Here to Party
Scrapdragon honestly looks more like a huge, dopey animal in this page than a powerful, malevolent spirit. In the first panel with his eyes open it looks like spectral energy is leaking from its mouth, like it's hanging its head upside down, and the top set of eyes in the final panel are smiling and all blue. I don't think the top slit in panel 4 can be another set of eyes because there's not an extra slit in the final panel unless it can freely swap whether a segment contains eyes or a mouth, which is unlikely and mildly horrifying.

Of course, this is just me trying to read a really stylistic face and his personality will probably come out more in the next page, but this is the first time I've had any real doubts about SD being the mysterious body-controller since the original page. Just a big ol' imposing baby.

Rethy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 6, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's a dragon. Dragons always show off.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Its expression on panel 4 does give off a certain "the gently caress are you doing here" vibe.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Unrelated to Snakechat, I was reading through the archives again and finally noticed R.J.'s AMAZING coif of hair in panel eight here, bottom right. Good lord.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Unrelated to Snakechat, I was reading through the archives again and finally noticed R.J.'s AMAZING coif of hair in panel eight here, bottom right. Good lord.

Yeah, I noticed that last time I read too and meant to post it. That's just some epic drat hair. Shame to keep it tucked up under a hood all the time.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

What I just noticed on that page is RJ's face isn't just covered in shadow, they actually seem to have some black cloth wrapped around it.

Or maybe I'm just misreading their eyes as creases. Screwy lighting if so, though.

eta: Was Lucifer always on the cast page?

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 6, 2014

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Tenebrais posted:

What I just noticed on that page is RJ's face isn't just covered in shadow, they actually seem to have some black cloth wrapped around it.

Or maybe I'm just misreading their eyes as creases. Screwy lighting if so, though.

I think it's just shadow. You can see part of their shaved head and skin on the same panel as their glorious hair. And, obviously, the color and sparkles on the hair means RJ is possessed by an epic grass spirit because

(I'm joking, please don't take it seriously.)

I don't think so, not last time I looked anyway.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I kind-of like the idea that the snake can take over Max's body and is A-Okay with doing that just to intimidate some rival's ghost, but when the host dares to descend into his world, then it catches him by surprise and he's vaguely annoyed. Kinda highlights a lot of personality there, of a self-centered dick, which kind of goes with the vibe of the ghosts being somewhat asinine. That is, if I'm reading all the details right. :ohdear:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
:speculate:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I enjoy the tiny hand and face, signifying fear.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

That said, I'm pretty much both ways about this. On the one hand Scrapdragon really doesn't look like a "schemer" at all, but on the other hand he's big and monstrous enough that I'm pretty cool with buying him being capable of some hardcore poo poo that could get Doorman shaken up.

Oh yeah, I'm still leaning towards it being the only spirit. I just thought it was funny that, after the debate in here, this page got me thinking, "hm, okay, maybe I can see what they were saying actually being true".

And yeah, Lucifer's a pretty new addition to the page. One that just let me notice that, in addition to the bird/face thing his body has going on, his cage is shaped like a light bulb.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Roland Jones posted:

Funnily enough, while the arguments in this thread didn't change my opinion at all, seeing the spirit like this made me think, "...drat, that doesn't look like a 'schemer' that talks like Max did to the Doorman."

Not a schemer? He's got six times the normal allotment of shifty eyes. Doppler-shifty eyes, at that.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tenebrais posted:

Was it ever explicitly mentioned in the comic that the shades are Spender's tool, or was I just supposed to guess this from the fact that he's never without them (or by reading the cast page :v:)?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

Was it ever explicitly mentioned in the comic that the shades are Spender's tool, or was I just supposed to guess this from the fact that he's never without them (or by reading the cast page :v:)?

It's heavily implied, but never stated, that Spender's sunglasses are a tool containing Lucifer and he is himself possessed by an evil shadow spirit, and that he never removes his sunglasses so that Lucifer can keep the shadow spirit from getting out.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Heavily implied in the middle of this page. Plus little things like this page, where he uses his glasses to anime in some light to use.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

neogeo0823 posted:

Heavily implied in the middle of this page.

What's really neat about the middle of that page is Spender is swirling up both light and dark, not just light. It's a neat little early hint that he's dual-wielding spirits.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I was going through the archives for funsies, and I noticed this poster in Isabel's room... which struck me as kinda odd for someone who has a fear of dogs. Or is it Grandpa's twisted form of immersion therapy?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I'm half-expecting scrapdragon to never actually talk, just communicate entirely through long, meaningful stares and the accompanying feelings of terror and awe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So he really is a magnet snake. Red and blue for the opposing polarities of a magnet. Will he have split personalities too?