Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Captain Pissweak posted:

Tell them to watch Utopia and if they don't go "oh I was wrong" tell them to hang themselves.

These are probably the same sort of people who complained about having to watch Rabbit Proof Fence in school because it made them feel ashamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Endman posted:

Should've chosen to be born white obviously.

She's Indian (and a Mormon):eyepop:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
How does that even work

I thought the church didn't let swarthy folk in

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Her dad might be white, I don't even know man, I've met some weird race-religion combos at university.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Shadeoses posted:

How does that even work

I thought the church didn't let swarthy folk in

Nah, God changed his mind about black people in 1978 (to paraphrase a line from the Book of Mormon, which is a musical I desperately want to see).

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The CBD is populated with Asian Mormons on a Friday. Also I heard gangs of them are around at all hours in Sunnybank, annoying various asian colleagues of mine.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

bell jar posted:

Hey Melbourne goons:
If you're interested in IT and looking for work there's a spot open at my work at the moment. Customer facing support role in webhosting, pretty good money and hours, send me a PM or email me if you're interested.

Hi what is your email address?

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Wait is she Mormon or Seventh Day Adventist? Because the Adventists have spent a shitload of money converted people of colour over the years. I legit never heard of a non-white Mormon, she sounds like a dumb racist unicorn.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
loving Queensland.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

So are those awkward white guys I see on the train sometimes trying to convert Chinese people Mormons or Adventists?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

On closer inspection, her Facebook religion was recently changed. It went from Latter Day Saint to Raelism. What an odd person.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Fruity Gordo posted:

I legit never heard of a non-white Mormon, she sounds like a dumb racist unicorn.

More than 3/4 of the Mormons I've seen around (inner South) Brisbane appear to be of Asian or Islander descent. I'm not sure if that's just a Brisbane thing or not, but yeah, there are a lot of non-white Mormons.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Mormonism in Australia has always struck me as kind of odd. More often see a black or asian Mormon preaching on the streets than a white one. Atleast here in Brisbane.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Jonah Galtberg posted:

So are those awkward white guys I see on the train sometimes trying to convert Chinese people Mormons or Adventists?

I get the adventists at my work some times asking to door knock the building.

edit: Footscray, for clarity.

There's an old chinese lady who lets them in so she can talk to them to practice her english.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Fruity Gordo posted:

Ask them whether they agree with Lang Hancock that we should just sterilise the lot of them and breed the black out.

The best thing is that as soon as you have one white ancestor people can completely discount your opinion.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

The Courier Mail.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Codename Victor Surge.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

according to experts*

*my teenaged '14 reg son

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I work at a petrol station. I regularly pocket the change that customers don't take and eat the hot food instead of throwing it out like I'm supposed to because the 15 mins before and up to half hour after my shift are unpaid. gently caress the manager, hes a oval office and thats what he gets.

Legit question for you here - are you worried about what's going to happen when the Libs force tens of thousands of young people into desperate poverty and what that is going to mean for you in your job?

Fuel theft, store theft and armed robberies are going to go through the roof, I expect.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Palmersaurus posted:

Good luck getting them into the country.

:smug: :respek: :smug:

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Guess which one of the world leaders at the 70th Anniversary of the D-Day landings couldn't stay awake and had their sleeping arse plastered all over FrenchTV, CNN, BBC and Sky on live TV?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ler posted:

Guess which one of the world leaders at the 70th Anniversary of the D-Day landings couldn't stay awake and had their sleeping arse plastered all over FrenchTV, CNN, BBC and Sky on live TV?

It's pretty obvious that um... well sh*t happens sometimes doesn't it? :australia:

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Ler posted:

He's not sleeping, he's praying!

Dec 30, 2008

Anidav posted:

Well then, Facebook why.

National Inquiry into the Separation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children from Their Families posted:

A three-year longitudinal study undertaken in Melbourne during the mid-1980s revealed the numerous differences between respondents removed in childhood (33%) and those who were raised by their families or in their communities (67%). Those removed were,
• less likely to have undertaken a post secondary education;
• much less likely to have stable living conditions and more likely to be geographically mobile;
• three times more likely to say they had no-one to call on in a crisis;
• less likely to be in a stable, confiding relationship with a partner;
• twice as likely to report having been arrested by police and having been convicted of an offence;
• three times as likely to report having been in gaol;
• less likely to have a strong sense of their Aboriginal cultural identity, more likely to have discovered their Aboriginality later in life and less likely to know about their Aboriginal cultural traditions;
• twice as likely to report current use of illicit substances; and
• much more likely to report intravenous use of illicit substances (Dr Jane McKendrick, Victorian Aboriginal Mental Health Network, submission 310 page 22).

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Ler posted:

Hey man, being open for business is pretty tiring work.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Has that been reported anywhere?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Gorilla Salad posted:

Legit question for you here - are you worried about what's going to happen when the Libs force tens of thousands of young people into desperate poverty and what that is going to mean for you in your job?

Fuel theft, store theft and armed robberies are going to go through the roof, I expect.

Fuel theft is already a thing that happens regularly because the dumb fucks who run the store have the camera pointing at the sides of cars, rather than the number plates, and a monitor above the counter showing the security camera footage to anyone waiting in line to be served. It's gotten to the point where I make sure I look at the cars so when the boss looks at the footage of me on the till, he can't yell at me for being inattentive, but I don't write down number plates on driveoff reports so I don't have to stay back (unpaid) after work to talk to policelink.

I haven't been held up but if someone does do it, I'm just going to put the till on the counter and walk away, there's no barrier and I'm not getting stabbed for $400.

E: It sounds bad but without a recording that shows their numberplates, the cops can't and won't do very much, and it means my 8 hour shift doesn't turn into a 8.5 or 9 hour one.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 6, 2014

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Gentleman Baller posted:

The Courier Mail.

Surprised that someone hasn't done some slenderman photoshops of the crimescenes, or him near the accussed.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Confusion clouds Tony Abbott’s Washington meetings

LAURIE OAKES
Herald Sun
June 07, 2014 12:00AM

THERE was some consternation among bureaucrats in Canberra this week when word spread that Tony Abbott had decided against meeting three of the most important economic policy figures in Washington during his forthcoming visit.

Arrangements had been made for the Prime Minister to meet Jack Lew, the US Treasury Secretary. He was also scheduled to hold talks with Christine Lagarde, managing director of the International Monetary Fund, and World Bank president Jim Yong Kim.

The meetings were locked into the diaries of those key officials. Then the arrangements were cast into doubt by Abbott’s office.

The likely cancellations were particularly surprising because Australia is host of this year’s G20 summit. The leaders of the 20 major economies will assemble in Brisbane in November for what is probably the most high-powered international gathering ever held in this country. According to the Budget papers, the whole G20 exercise is costing Australia almost half a billion dollars — $476.7 million to be precise. That is an indication of its importance.

Lew, Lagarde and Kim are crucial to the summit. Lagarde and Kim are involved in much of the preparatory work and will be there at the table alongside the leaders. And reform of the IMF is one of the items on the summit agenda.

Lew’s advice will play a major role in how Barack Obama approaches the summit and its success will depend heavily on an engaged US President.

You might think that Abbott, who will chair the summit, would seize any opportunity to tap into the thinking of those people and use the opportunity, if necessary, to try to influence them towards the outcomes he wants. But, given that the Lagarde and Kim meetings are no longer in his program and the session with Lew is up in the air, that is apparently not the case. Also, given America’s influence on the world economy, previous prime ministers have regarded meeting the US Treasury Secretary as a high priority in a Washington visit.

It seems extraordinary that there is any equivocation at all about an Abbott-Lew meeting. The puzzlement in Treasury ranks is not hard to imagine. One Canberra hand, who has been involved with such meetings in the past, says this could suggest that Abbott is not taking the G20 summit as seriously as he should “and that’s a worry”.

There is plenty of room for speculation about the reasons top-level economic meetings seem to be treated as optional in Abbott’s Washington program. Some critics will home in on his 2003 comment that left the then treasurer, Peter Costello, hugely unimpressed.

Abbott told an interviewer he found economics “a bore” and added, laughing: “I have never been as excited about economics as some of my colleagues. I find economics is not for nothing known as the dismal science.”

But as Prime Minister, Abbott has appeared to jettison what former Liberal leader John Hewson, who once employed him, characterised as a lack of interest in economics.

He has not only thrown himself into the defence of Joe Hockey’s Budget, but played a leading part in developing the tough policies that were central to it.

Another theory is that the risk of disagreement and embarrassment over climate change could be a major factor. I wrote last week that there was concern about the potential for the climate change issue to cause difficulties for Abbott when he meets President Obama at the White House on Wednesday.

Obama has committed himself to strong new measures to counter global warming. He and the Australian PM, who once described climate change science as “crap”, have little common ground on the matter.

Now, more information has emerged. The Americans have let it be known that Obama is annoyed because Abbott refuses to allow climate change to be part of the G20 agenda. The PM has argued publicly that discussion of climate change would “clutter” an agenda that should concentrate on economic growth.

THE President, however, sees climate change as a massively important economic issue, one that is already imposing heavy costs on the US economy. He is expected to press this strongly when he and Abbott get down to brass tacks in the Oval Office.

Lew would also be bound to lean on Abbott to change his mind. The PM might be reluctant to have the same argument twice.

Both Lagarde and Kim, and the institutions they head, have been engaged in climate change debate and policy. Before a G20 finance ministers meeting in February, Lagarde had a swipe at the Abbott Government’s attitude to climate change.

Australia, she said, had been “at the forefront” on the issue under previous governments, and “I would hope that it continues to be a pioneer”. Climate change issues, she added, were “critical and not just fantasies”.

Now that information has leaked about the on-again-off-again meetings, the line from the Abbott camp is that all three just might be on again.

It is, I was told yesterday, “a matter of aligning schedules”.

I think Mike Carlton hit the nail on the head when he said that Abbott hasn't lost the plot, he never had one to begin with.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Hi what is your email address?

belgaer at belgaer dot net

NARCISSISM

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

the whole G20 exercise is costing Australia almost half a billion dollars — $476.7 million to be precise.

Jesus Christ.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Lol this government is loving humiliating and I don't even believe in high finance.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Fruity Gordo posted:

Lol this government is loving humiliating and I don't even believe in high finance.

It's probably in retaliation for the IMF coming out and saying that greater economic equality is better for growth.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

It's extra sad that while the miserable US is starting to rebound to the left and now trying to get its act together a little on climate change, Abbott is years behind and trying to mimic all the absolute worst things from America. Spending too much on defense, slashing any social safety nets, increasing wealth inequality, etc.

And now he can't even be bothered to meet with these important figures from his role model country? He probably figures we bought their shootyplanes, that's more than good enough!

For once, I am really excited to see the US throw its bigass weight around at somebody. Abbott thinks he can set the agenda and tell Obama the biggest global issue is just "clutter"? I hope he gets his rear end handed to him.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

adamantium|wang posted:

I think Mike Carlton hit the nail on the head when he said that Abbott hasn't lost the plot, he never had one to begin with.

Maybe ASIO said it wasn't safe.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Eyes out of navels!

Scott Morrison having lost his moral compass asks his department for one. They can't find one either:

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2014/s4020834.htm

quote:

Morrison: Leo Seemanpillai's famliy face 'very real difficulties' getting visas for funeral

Alexandra Kirk reported this story on Saturday, June 7, 2014 08:01:00

ELIZABETH JACKSON: The Federal Immigration Minister Scott Morrison says the family of Leo Seemanpillai face "very real difficulties" in obtaining visas to attend his funeral in Australia next week.

The Tamil asylum seeker died last Sunday after setting himself on fire. His closest relatives, who fled with him from Sri Lanka back in 1990, continue to live in a refugee camp in India. Mr Morrison has offered to send the body back to Sri Lanka or India, but the family says they fear for their safety if the funeral was held in either of those countries. A friend of the family says there's confusion now about whether the relatives will be granted a short-term visa to come to Australia and attend the funeral.

The Immigration Minister Scott Morrison spoke to Alexandra Kirk in Canberra.

SCOTT MORRISON: My department has explained to the family - the father - about the process that needs to be followed to make an application for a visa to come to Australia, and that requires travel documents as well. And we've also had our post instructed to get in contact with the father to explain again this process. So there's a very clear application of visa law here, and that is something that is administered by the department. And the visitor visa would be the most obvious application that one would apply for, and they would have to satisfy all the normal visitor visa rules.

ALEXANDRA KIRK: And is that possible, considering that they are living in a refugee camp, they are Sri Lankans living in India?

SCOTT MORRISON: Well this presents very significant challenges, like people in many other places around the world that may seek to apply for a visitor visa who are in places - it could be in Syria or any number of places - and the department has to assess their applications in the same way. This is why I took the initiative, knowing the difficulties that are likely here, to repatriate the remains to enable a funeral with the parents.

ALEXANDRA KIRK: But the friends and the family say that relatives in Sri Lanka, and the more immediate family who fled with him to India, that they fear being targeted by Sri Lankan authorities if they attended Leo's funeral there. So do you accept that that isn't an option?

SCOTT MORRISON: Well, these facts have not been presented to me, and again, these are matters that would have to be considered. But the offer to repatriate the man remains - it was done at my initiative on the basis of compassionate circumstances, and that is within my ability to make that offer. Now if there are difficulties in doing that, I accept that we would have to work through that. I mean, obviously we'd have to work those issues with the government of India as well in these circumstances, and we would be happy to try and work through those issues. The parents, I understand, have been living in Tamil Nadu for some period of time and that is where we were hoping that the remains might be able to return to, to enable that funeral to take place. But the visa laws are our visa laws, and it's important that they are applied.

ALEXANDRA KIRK: So what is the likelihood then of the immediate family - that is, the parents and perhaps the siblings - to be able to get a visa to come to Australia for the funeral next week?

SCOTT MORRISON: Well, the visa application process has been explained to the family. I think there are very real difficulties with this, and that's why I made the offer that I have.

Now the family have rejected that offer, I understand - that's what I've been told - and that's a matter for them. And I can only make the offer in these circumstances, I can't insist that people take it up. The visa process here is very clear and the department will have to assess that application. It's not available to the minister to instruct the department in issuing a visitor visa in circumstances like this, and they'll have to apply the law as it stands.

ELIZABETH JACKSON: That's the Immigration Minister Scott Morrison speaking to Alexandra Kirk in Canberra.

STOP THE BOATS (being built in Australia).

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-06/navys-new-supply-ships-will-be-built-overseas-johnston-confirms/5505736

quote:

Navy's new supply ships will be built overseas; AMWU condemns decision as 'insidious'

By political reporter Latika Bourke - Updated 10 hours 58 minutes ago

Two new Navy supply ships will be built overseas, sparking a political fight over the Federal Government's commitment to local manufacturing. The Federal Government says Spain's Navantia and South Korea's Daewoo will compete for the tenders to replace HMAS Success and HMAS Sirius. Defence Minister David Johnston says putting the jobs out to tender is the only way the Government can ensure the ships are built quickly enough.

The Australian Manufacturing Workers Union (AMWU) has condemned the decision to offshore the shipbuilding, describing it as "insidious". "We should be giving preference to Australian manufacturers," the AMWU's Glen Thompson said in a statement. "Offshoring is an insidious move that undercuts the works of Australian shipbuilders."

However, the union has welcomed the Government's decision to build 20 new Pacific Class patrol boats at home. Senator Johnston says he wants the local industry to build the next fleet of frigates and has allocated $78.2 million for design work. The new supply ships will replace HMAS Success (pictured) and HMAS Sirius. But he says he will send the work offshore if the local industry does not lift its game.

"No responsible government could consider providing further work to an industry that is performing so poorly," Senator Johnston said. "This is not a blank cheque." Earlier this week the minister placed the Air Warfare Destroyer project on the "Projects of Concern" list. In 2007 the then-government contracted ASC and Raytheon to build three new Air Warfare Destroyers. They were due for delivery in June 2017 but are running at least two years late and $300 million over budget. Opposition Leader Bill Shorten says the Government has "torpedoed" thousands of Australian defence industry jobs. "We have a reckless decision which puts our shipbuilding capacity at risk in the future and our defence capability, this did not need to occur," he said. "Today thousands of Australian shipbuilding jobs have been torpedoed by the Australian Government."

We're open for business! The dumbest ways possible.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Cartoon posted:

Eyes out of navels!

Scott Morrison having lost his moral compass asks his department for one. They can't find one either:

:eyepop: How can you be so lacking in empathy? (I know I know he's an LNP minister)

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

A government doesn't make anything (in australia).

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Cartoon posted:

Eyes out of navels!

This really distresses me. Self immolation would be an absolutely horrific thing to endure, and I can't imagine the desperation that would drive someone to commit such an act.

The thing I find most troubling though is Australia's response. People just don't seem to care. The story of the monk setting himself on fire in Vietnam spread throughout the globe and captured the world's attention. Self immolation in Tunisia kick started a series of revolutions.

This happened in Australia and it barely registered a blip in the news. People are just like "whatever". It's absolutely hosed and I can't understand what is wrong with people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

They're great manufacturers of farce though.

• Locked thread