Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I would say that Mario 3D World actually is pretty 3D, and a lot moreso than 3D Land. 3D Land feels like the old Crash Bandicoot days of 3D platformers that ran on a track. The platforms are pretty thin, you're encouraged by design to go in one direction at a time for much of the game so that you don't fall, and it switches between sidescrolling and north-south almost exclusively throughout the game. While you don't get full camera controls in 3D World, the level design is a lot fuller, a lot more open, and feels more like a legit 3D Mario that just happens to be going for a more strict and abstract design philosophy than the "building in scope" mission design of the Galaxy games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock

AllisonByProxy posted:

So this is supposedly a leaked image of Nintendo's E3 booth.

Whoa. Mario Maker looks like a level editor for SMB1.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I'm more interested in that Animal Crossing banner. I sure hope the Wii U gets an Animal Crossing. Someone sure does have a horrible camera.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I want the Wii-U to get a Punch-Out.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

whaley posted:

I'm more interested in that Animal Crossing banner. I sure hope the Wii U gets an Animal Crossing. Someone sure does have a horrible camera.

While I sure that the Wii U will get an Animal Crossing game, that banner is for Smash.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

whaley posted:

That's his smash bros art.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
This seems the closest to a Wii thread we have, so:

Any tips on how I should get any enjoyment out of Metroid Prime Trilogy? I loved the 2d games but the first Prime is really boring so far. The areas are visually uninteresting, the fights are dull and the Wii controls clunky as hell. What am I missing? Don't say "scan everything" because that got tedious as early as the tutorial.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Any tips on how I should get any enjoyment out of Metroid Prime Trilogy?

what kind of question is this

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

try using the disc as a frisbee or something, idk

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
If you haven't turned up the controls to "Advanced" in the options, do that, it should help with the control issues. Otherwise I don't know what to tell you. Metroid fights have always been dull and secondary to the goal of just exploring around, and I don't want to tell you that the areas are going to get a lot more interesting without knowing where you are, but if you're not enjoying it by Phendrana, you might as well just stop playing because it's not going to get any better.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Speaking as a guy who arranges trade shows for a living, I can confirm that that picture is legitimate because there's still random poo poo all over the booth and none of the lighting is done even though we're only four days out from the show :argh:

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Renoistic posted:

Any tips on how I should get any enjoyment out of Metroid Prime Trilogy? I loved the 2d games but the first Prime is really boring so far. The areas are visually uninteresting, the fights are dull and the Wii controls clunky as hell. What am I missing? Don't say "scan everything" because that got tedious as early as the tutorial.

Metroid isn't for everyone.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I thought MP had very beautiful visual/art design, but I guess if you're still in the starting Chozo Ruins that are all sandstone-looking it might seem the same. The lava and especially ice areas are pretty neat, and eventually you get to some pirate labs and a sunken ship.

Perhaps I'm conflating what I thought was great level design with visual interest though.

e: Don't bother scanning anything you don't have to unless you care about ~lore~ or you're a completionist, it will just bog you down.

But yeah, if Prime is visually uninteresting then Super Metroid is like a muddy canvas.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 6, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Renoistic posted:

I...I can't even...

Visually uninteresting? I have no words. I guess the best thing I can reccomend is that you go back to your ship in game, turn teh volume up, load and smoke a bowl, and listen to the Tallon Overworld soundtrack, and just BE Samus.

Otherwise, please sell me that trilogy so I can do that instead.

Prime has kinda tough boss fights in the last half, but is largely fairly easy. Prime 2 has MUCH harder combat and encounters, but more tedious exploration, and Prime 3 I never played and SERIOUSLY how can you find Prime 1 visually uninteresting I can't even

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Renoistic posted:

Yeah I played Prime and found it to be boring as poo poo. Definitely don't understand why people treat those games like the second coming.

For the record I really liked the only other Metroid game I've played, Fusion, so it's not like I have a hate-boner for Metroid in general.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 6, 2014

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I know it's a Nintendo thread but I guess it's also the bad opinion thread too.

I've actually been in the mood to replay Prime 1, now I might actually go do it out of spite!

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

Cheesegod posted:

Whoa. Mario Maker looks like a level editor for SMB1.

That seems like a useless feature: 1-1 already exists in SMB, so what is everyone gonna make with the editor?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

tidiox posted:

That seems like a useless feature: 1-1 already exists in SMB, so what is everyone gonna make with the editor?

Knowing the creativity most games exhibit when presented with such tools, there will be a ton of Green Hill Zone.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I dunno what your standards for video games are if you think Metroid Prime is bland and uninteresting.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lemming posted:

I dunno what your standards for video games are if you think Metroid Prime is bland and uninteresting.

A game where you don't spend 90% of the time walking around and 10% shooting at bugs?

I'm just poking the beehive at this point though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

A game where you don't spend 90% of the time walking around and 10% shooting at bugs?

Well, obviously. The relatively slow pace is a legitimate issue with the game, not that I think it's inherently bad, it just might not be for you. To say the visuals are boring is, however, either disingenuous or an indicator of unreasonably high standards. The art direction of the game is phenomenal.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Look guys I get a little mad when someone shits on my favorite games but it's okay to not like Metroid Prime. BTW if you poo poo-talk DKC by Retro or Deus Ex: HR you're loving dead buddy

E: also Super Mario Sunshine and FFX

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

PantsBandit posted:

Sounds like you'd enjoy the various space pirate bases due to their being unrelenting assholes, but they're pretty deep into the game.

Also I think you might actually be someone like Hitler or Death.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Hobo Siege posted:

Sounds like you'd enjoy the various space pirate bases due to their being unrelenting assholes, but they're pretty deep into the game.

Also I think you might actually be someone like Hitler or Death.

Actually I was Hitler but when I shot myself and Death came to take me, he fell off the roof of the bunker and died. Little did I know this caused me to become the new death.

What I'm trying to say is it's been a wacky ride.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

As I owned most of the games in the Mario Kart 8 promotion, I decided to get Game & Wario, and I'm really enjoying it. Definitely not worth the full priced release it was due to a shallow amount of content, but I would've eaten this up as a small downloadable title.

Tension flew high as me and my brother played the Fronk Slingshot game, and after much strategy and deception, we were blown away when on the last turn we tipped over the tower. Was not expecting that at all.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Austrian mook posted:

E: also [...] FFX

How do you even make it through the day, then?

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I always thought a lot of the areas in the Prime games were bland and uninteresting, too. :shrug:

I still like the games though, and the first area is always the ugliest and least interesting so keep pressing on!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I played it some more and it's gotten a little better. Some thoughts:

I think it's neat how Samus' visor is affected by cold / heat or bug splatter.

"Hey you just unlocked the elevator perhaps you should go there. Whoops nope you'll die if you don't have the correct suit." Thanks for wasting my time, game. You could have told me this before I went there. It is a Metroid game so I should have seen it coming, I guess.

I got the morph ball bombs and managed to grab an upgrade by using my bombs to reach higher which felt nicely nostalgic.

The plant boss looked pretty impressive but then I beat it by doing the exact same thing four times. At least it wasn't three times :v:

The music would have been REALLY cool if it had been a N64 game. Reminds me of Ocarina of Time.

It's pretty impressive how they managed to make the platforming pretty painless even though it's an FPS.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Plant Boss is the only real "Do [X] [Y] times" fight. The rest are more the "evade and wait for an opening" kind.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think the plant had the suit you need to go to lava land.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Renoistic posted:

I played it some more and it's gotten a little better. Some thoughts:

I think it's neat how Samus' visor is affected by cold / heat or bug splatter.

"Hey you just unlocked the elevator perhaps you should go there. Whoops nope you'll die if you don't have the correct suit." Thanks for wasting my time, game. You could have told me this before I went there. It is a Metroid game so I should have seen it coming, I guess.

I got the morph ball bombs and managed to grab an upgrade by using my bombs to reach higher which felt nicely nostalgic.

The plant boss looked pretty impressive but then I beat it by doing the exact same thing four times. At least it wasn't three times :v:

The music would have been REALLY cool if it had been a N64 game. Reminds me of Ocarina of Time.

It's pretty impressive how they managed to make the platforming pretty painless even though it's an FPS.

Just wait till you get to Phendrana Drifts - The first true "WOW" moment and arguably the Trilogy's greatest area.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

Just wait till you get to Phendrana Drifts - The first true "WOW" moment and arguably the Trilogy's greatest area.

100% agree. The music and atmosphere in that area is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbbUv1hz6mE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE6mgczeQRo

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I really love Metroid Prime a whole lot, but the Chozo Ruins are really bland and uninteresting to look at, as are most desert ruins in video games.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I picked up Wonderful 101 last night and so far I'm loving the atmosphere and style...but am confused on how to not die 3 or 4 times to each of those Hoedown Armored Tank things. They just completely wreck me every time. Any tips?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

So I picked up Wonderful 101 last night and so far I'm loving the atmosphere and style...but am confused on how to not die 3 or 4 times to each of those Hoedown Armored Tank things. They just completely wreck me every time. Any tips?

In the beginning it's just best to buy the reflective jello shield-thingy move and bounce their projectiles back at them so they're stunned so you can beat on them.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

jivjov posted:

Did you buy Unite Guts and Unite Spring from the Wonder Mart?

Silent Potato
Sep 7, 2011

Did you buy Unite Guts? It can deflect everyone of the Hoedown's attacks.

edit: welp.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Monkey Fracas posted:

In the beginning it's just best to buy the reflective jello shield-thingy move and bounce their projectiles back at them so they're stunned so you can beat on them.

Also do that when they charge at you. Anything else you should dodge.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

jivjov posted:

If there is more than one at a time it will be difficult, but always keep them onscreen. When you see them preparing to attack, get ready to use guts to counter attack. Once they're flipped over, wail on them, or if you don't really care about points, draw a circle around them to pick them up and throw them with Y for huge damage. If you see one of them charging up some blue stuff, quickly switch to unite sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

TaurusOxford posted:

I just went past that part and it definitely was the nicest area so far. I always enjoy some nice snow effects. The shell monsters were more involving to fight than the other monsters as well. I kept thinking of it as the "ice temple" coming straight after the "fire temple" though.

I just mastered the half pipe and got the double jump ability. I've backtracked to the first area - does that mean I've seen most of areas of the game already?

Seing Samus' eyes reflected on the visor is pretty cool by the way. And kind of unnerving.

• Locked thread