Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Does anyone know how much fat is in yogurt whey? I make my own Greek yogurt, and I was wondering if all the whey going out of it is the lean part of the milk while the leftover strained stuff is the fat, or at least how much of it is fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Whey still has like 1/10 of the fat and 1/5 of the protein of yogurt. Carbs are roughly the same. (If you compare portions of the same weight.) So most of the fat and proteins stay in the yogurt.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Because I'm short on time and also like to know exactly what I'm eating (I track all my meals), I poach a bunch of chicken breasts on Sunday night that I eat throughout the week. Is there some way to prep already cooked chicken in interesting ways? I usually chop it up and mix with rice, veggies, beans, etc (kinda like Chipotle). Last night I sauteed it in a pan to crisp it up with some garlic and white wine and that turned out pretty good, just not sure if I'm missing anything. And yes, I like poached chicken breasts and it's a super cheap and easy way to get my protein!

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
I just watched Bourdain's episode of Parts Unknown where he traveled to northern Thailand and it makes me want to try Laab (Larb, or whatever, meat salad). I've never had it before and want to try making it myself since I think most of the thai food where I live sucks. It looks rather simple from what google tells me, but I'm wondering if you guys have tried a recipe which is exceptionally good or have a family recipe?

Should I just give it hell and try to make it on my own? What is it supposed to taste like?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Susical posted:

Because I'm short on time and also like to know exactly what I'm eating (I track all my meals), I poach a bunch of chicken breasts on Sunday night that I eat throughout the week. Is there some way to prep already cooked chicken in interesting ways? I usually chop it up and mix with rice, veggies, beans, etc (kinda like Chipotle). Last night I sauteed it in a pan to crisp it up with some garlic and white wine and that turned out pretty good, just not sure if I'm missing anything. And yes, I like poached chicken breasts and it's a super cheap and easy way to get my protein!

You could probably shred it, which opens up all the possibilities for shredded chicken. Chicken salad, stuff like enchiladas and quesadillas would be great...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Susical posted:

I shred it and toss with some ginger, minced celery, red onion, pecans and cilantro with sesame oil and it makes a nice chicken salad to toss on stuff.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Susical posted:

Have you tried chicken thighs? They do have a bit more fat but they also have a TON more flavor, and you can slow-cook them til they fall apart and make really good stuff with them--pulled pork style bbq chicken, roasted chicken with a bunch of garlic and gravy, slice it thin and put it on a sandwich, etc. Thighs also tend to be cheaper than breasts. If you find you're getting bored of the breasts, maybe grab a packet of thighs and work with that. Thighs also don't suffer from reheating and re-cooking, unlike breasts.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Is there a thread on presentation somewhere? I'm just a home cook, and a novice one at that, but I like to make my food look sexy when I plate it, especially if I'm cooking for guests.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I just watched Bourdain's episode of Parts Unknown where he traveled to northern Thailand and it makes me want to try Laab (Larb, or whatever, meat salad). I've never had it before and want to try making it myself since I think most of the thai food where I live sucks. It looks rather simple from what google tells me, but I'm wondering if you guys have tried a recipe which is exceptionally good or have a family recipe?

Should I just give it hell and try to make it on my own? What is it supposed to taste like?
There are actually a lot of variations on larb, from very elaborate affairs involving raw meat and blood to what amounts to stir-fried minced meat tossed with greens.

I've never made larb myself, but in general with Thai cooking about 75% of getting the dish `right' is getting the right spice balance. There are roughly a billion different standard spice mixes used in Thai cooking and they tend to have regional variations. In many cases if you have an Asian market nearby and a good memory, a lot of patience, or a handy moon-sigil reference on your phone you can pick up jars of most of the common spice mixes. Alternately you can buy the individual ingredients and get some practice using a mortar and pestle (which is nearly obligatory to get the right consistency in the pepper pastes frequently used in the Thai kitchen).

But that's just general advice. I don't have a favoured recipe for larb so I can't help you there. I do see that there are a few recipes in David Thompson's Thai Food which I like in general for other things, so that might be a place to start.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

SubG posted:

There are actually a lot of variations on larb, from very elaborate affairs involving raw meat and blood to what amounts to stir-fried minced meat tossed with greens.

I've never made larb myself, but in general with Thai cooking about 75% of getting the dish `right' is getting the right spice balance. There are roughly a billion different standard spice mixes used in Thai cooking and they tend to have regional variations. In many cases if you have an Asian market nearby and a good memory, a lot of patience, or a handy moon-sigil reference on your phone you can pick up jars of most of the common spice mixes. Alternately you can buy the individual ingredients and get some practice using a mortar and pestle (which is nearly obligatory to get the right consistency in the pepper pastes frequently used in the Thai kitchen).

But that's just general advice. I don't have a favoured recipe for larb so I can't help you there. I do see that there are a few recipes in David Thompson's Thai Food which I like in general for other things, so that might be a place to start.

Reading more about it and speaking with my Thai friend at work, Ive noticed the huge/regional/etc variations on recipes and spice mixtures. I normally dont care for thai food because every iteration and dish I have eaten is way too sweet for me. I was really interested in Larb because it seems like it might be a bit more balanced. Thanks for the tips, I will check that book out.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

guppy posted:

Is there a thread on presentation somewhere? I'm just a home cook, and a novice one at that, but I like to make my food look sexy when I plate it, especially if I'm cooking for guests.

Might as well post photos in the "I bring a camera to the table" thread, ask for feedback.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Larb is wonderful. Makes an awesome lunch to take to work, especially if you are trying to stay light on carbs because cavemen. I make it at least once a fortnight in summer.

Essentially, it tastes like spicy, salty, minty chicken.

We went to an little cooking school on a farm near Chiang Mai (shameless plug because they were awesome girls: http://www.cookingathome-chiangmai.com/) and they taught us their way of doing it - it seems to be one of those things that everyone has their own variation, and different regional variations can be miles apart. A lot include galangal or ginger, lemongrass occasionally, and some fry the meat instead of boiling - I don't think it works as well, but ymmv.

Measurements are all rough, since I don't think Thais measure anything ever.
---------
200g chicken/pork mince (although any non-seafood works here)
1/2 - 3/4c (ish) water or (pref) chicken stock.
30g shallots (red onion works well too)
20g spring onions (or more, because spring onions rock)
20g culantro (or cilantro, if you cant find it - adjust the amount to taste)
20g mint (i usually double this - again, to taste)

~30g chilli powder (depends how hot you want. i wouldn't make it without, even for the most epic chilli wuss. it's one of the key flavours)
2tb fish sauce
2tb lime juice
5g white sugar (to taste - more if you make it too hot or sour)
10g ground roasted rice powder (which acts as a thickening agent and gives a bit of toasty flavour - you can find it at most asian supermarkets. or make it. just toast some sticky rice or 1:1 sticky rice and longrain/jasmine rice until nutty, then grind. or make a cornflour slurry if you want to seriously roundeye it)

Bring water/stock to a light simmer. Add mince, cook for a couple minutes, til..uh...cooked. Don't drain, since the Hot Chicken Water forms the base of your sauce.

Stir shallots/spring onions/cilantro/mint into chicken.

Separately, mix fish sauce, lime juice and white sugar til it tastes awesome. You are looking for a good balance between salty and sour. Stir through chicken mix.

Stir in ground rice til it thickens. If it turns into a sticky goo, you added too much.

Add chilli powder til you hit the right heat level.

Serve it with a little mound of chilli powder and sugar on the side, so you can adjust it to taste. Lettuce or cabbage leaves to use as pockets are optional. Green beans are traditional, too.

Garnish some leftover mint/cilantro leaves, diced chilli, cucumber wedges, sliced radish, etc.

Optional: tell everyone you learned how to make it in a small village while backpacking/working with Médecins sans Frontières/etc through southeast asia. if they ask where, claim that it's pretty obscure and they wouldn't have heard of it.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 3, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

BrosephofArimathea posted:

Larb is wonderful. Makes an awesome lunch to take to work, especially if you are trying to stay light on carbs because cavemen. I make it at least once a fortnight in summer.

We went to an little cooking school on a farm near Chiang Mai (shameless plug because they were awesome girls: http://www.cookingathome-chiangmai.com/) and they taught us their way of doing it - it seems to be one of those things that everyone has their own variation, and different regional variations can be miles apart. A lot include galangal or ginger, lemongrass occasionally, and some fry the meat instead of boiling - I don't think it works as well, but ymmv.

Measurements are all rough, since I don't think Thais measure anything ever.
---------
200g chicken/pork mince (although any non-seafood works here)
1/2 - 3/4c (ish) water or (pref) chicken stock.
30g shallots (red onion works well too)
20g spring onions (or more, because spring onions rock)
20g culantro (or cilantro, if you cant find it - adjust the amount to taste)
20g mint (i usually double this - again, to taste)

~30g chilli powder (depends how hot you want. i wouldn't make it without, even for the most epic chilli wuss. it's one of the key flavours)
2tb fish sauce
2tb lime juice
5g white sugar (to taste - more if you make it too hot or sour)
10g ground roasted rice powder (which acts as a thickening agent and gives a bit of toasty flavour - you can find it at most asian supermarkets. or make it. just toast some sticky rice or 1:1 sticky rice and longrain/jasmine rice until nutty, then grind. or make a cornflour slurry if you want to seriously roundeye it)

Bring water/stock to a light simmer. Add mince, cook for a couple minutes, til..uh...cooked. Don't drain, since the Hot Chicken Water forms the base of your sauce.

Stir shallots/spring onions/cilantro/mint into chicken.

Separately, mix fish sauce, lime juice and white sugar til it tastes awesome. You are looking for a good balance between salty and sour. Stir through chicken mix.

Stir in ground rice til it thickens. If it turns into a sticky goo, you added too much.

Add chilli powder til you hit the right heat level.

Serve it with a little mound of chilli powder and sugar on the side, so you can adjust it to taste. Lettuce or cabbage leaves to use as pockets are optional. Green beans are traditional, too.

Garnish some leftover mint/cilantro leaves, diced chilli, cucumber wedges, sliced radish, etc.

Optional: tell everyone you learned how to make it in a small village while backpacking/working with Médecins sans Frontières/etc through southeast asia. if they ask where, claim that it's pretty obscure and they wouldn't have heard of it.

:swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Steve Yun posted:

Might as well post photos in the "I bring a camera to the table" thread, ask for feedback.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I don't really feel like I know anything, though. I did find some articles online, so maybe I'll school myself then present my work to be savaged. :)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Here's an alternate laab recipe from a cookbook my Thai mother-in-law brought me back from Thailand:

quote:

200g minced raw chicken
1tbl fish sauce
1tbl finely chopped lemongrass (can get this frozen already chopped in bulk at Asian stores)
3tbl water or chicken stock
1.5tbl lime juice
1 onion, finely sliced
1 tbl chopped shallots (spring onions)
1tbl finely chopped coriander leaves (aka cilantro)
4tbl fresh mint leaves
2tbl rice, dry-fried to golden, then ground
1 tsp chili powder (optional, make it Thai birdseye chili powder for maximum authenticity/mouth pain)

Garnish
lettuce leaves
fresh mint leaves
fresh coriander leaves
chili flowers
shallot curls

In a saucepan over medium heat, gently cook minced chicken, fish sauce, lemon grass and water, stirring to separate chicken mince to an even texture. If necessary add more water or stock to keep about 3tbl liquid in the pan.

Remove from heat after 5m or so, when chicken is cooked through but still moist.

Add lime juice, onion, shallots, coriander and mint leaves

Toss gently. Taste to see if extra fish sauce or lime juice is needed. Sprinkle in golden ground rice. Toss again gently. if you want the dish to be spicy, add chili powder or serve some in a side bowl.

Arrange on a bed of lettuce leaves. Add garnish. Serve at room temp or slightly chilled. Serves 4.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Shallots aren't spring onions.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hey man, I'm just quoting the cookbook. That part confused me too.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Chemmy posted:

In some places in the Commonwealth shallot and scallion are used interchangeably.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Chemmy posted:

In Australia, people are retarded.

Real world : AU

Shallot : Eshallot, or 'french shallot'
Spring onion: shallots, sometimes spring onion, sometimes green onion
Scallions : shallots, sometimes spring onions, sometimes green onion

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

^^^ That explains it, I think the translator for the book was Australian.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

BrosephofArimathea posted:

*Recipe*

Oracle posted:

Here's an alternate laab recipe from a cookbook my Thai mother-in-law brought me back from Thailand:

Thanks everyone for the recipes, I cant wait to try this. I am thinking of using pork instead of chicken, whatever I have I suppose should work.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I picked strawberries today, and bought a pint of heavy cream. I also have a tupperware full of homemade mint-infused simple syrup. This seems like a natural combination.

Any advice on the ratio I should use if I want to sweeten the cream with the syrup? I've only ever done whipped cream plain or with a little granulated sugar. Or am I better off just eyeballing it while whipping the cream?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
If you are doing the whole pint of cream, I'd say a tablespoon or two of the syrup would probably do it for most of the sweetness and mint flavor, but you may need another tablespoon or so of just sugar.

Biff Johnston
Mar 28, 2010

You're crocked, aren't ya?
Can anyone give me tips on what to add to alfredo sauce to spice things up? I normally make my own with milk, butter, cream cheese, parmesan, and just a lil bit of salt and pepper. It usually turns out great but I'm sure I can do much better. So yeah, tips, tricks, hints?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Biff Johnston posted:

Can anyone give me tips on what to add to alfredo sauce to spice things up? I normally make my own with milk, butter, cream cheese, parmesan, and just a lil bit of salt and pepper. It usually turns out great but I'm sure I can do much better. So yeah, tips, tricks, hints?
Nutmeg. White pepper instead of black, for that matter.

And, well first a disclaimer: I don't care about authenticity. Make it however the gently caress you want. But. A really traditional Alfredo is just an al burro with extra butter. Al burro is just roughly equal parts butter and grated p. reggiano tossed with the pasta; the original Alfredo di Lelio recipe just triples the butter.

If you really want to go for a more Americanised Alfredo, I'd use cream instead of milk and I have no idea what that cream cheese is doing in there.

But honestly adding more milk or cream just dilutes the flavours. The best way to get more flavour out of it is to just go with some good butter and cheese---a nice aged parmiginao-reggiano is going to contribute more than anything else you're going to throw in there, so the `trick' to making it more assertive is to not drown it out with a bunch of milk.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
On the topic of adding flavors to sauces, I was just given a tub of regular soysauce. It's amazing because I swear I can just drink it down like pickle juice, I love that stuff.

Aside from delicious wasabi what are good, common things to mix into it that would give me some interesting tastes? Would I have to warm up the soysauce to add flavors to it?

I rarely use soysauce on my own, but I have a lot of rice and vegetables and stuff that I'd like to try it on.

Help?

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Drifter posted:

Aside from delicious wasabi what are good, common things to mix into it that would give me some interesting tastes? Would I have to warm up the soysauce to add flavors to it?

I rarely use soysauce on my own, but I have a lot of rice and vegetables and stuff that I'd like to try it on.

I like ginger, garlic and black vinegar. Maybe slice in a scallion too, if I have one laying around.

Or, even though it's become an internet meme, Sriracha.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Anyone have a solid recipe for a Thai cucumber salad? I'm grilling sriracha wings and pork satay this weekend at a big bbq cook-off and want to serve it as a side.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
If I'm using a crockpot and trying to make a healthier version of pulled pork, is it okay to use pork tenderloin? If not that, what are the leaner/less calorie dense pork cuts that would be good for a lower calorie pulled pork? Maybe boneless loin roast? Sorry guys, I almost never eat pork so I'm not really familiar with it. Thanks!

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Psychobabble! posted:

If I'm using a crockpot and trying to make a healthier version of pulled pork, is it okay to use pork tenderloin? If not that, what are the leaner/less calorie dense pork cuts that would be good for a lower calorie pulled pork? Maybe boneless loin roast? Sorry guys, I almost never eat pork so I'm not really familiar with it. Thanks!

From what I understand you want tougher meat with a good amount of fat so that slow cooking doesn't dry it out and makes it delicious and 'pulls apart'. You go too lean and you'll just have something that's super dry or cooked down to mush?

I've seen recipes for it that are literaly just 'throw pork in crock pot with your favorite bbq sauce' but I also have very little experience with pork and have never done it myself.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Comic posted:

From what I understand you want tougher meat with a good amount of fat so that slow cooking doesn't dry it out and makes it delicious and 'pulls apart'. You go too lean and you'll just have something that's super dry or cooked down to mush?

I've seen recipes for it that are literaly just 'throw pork in crock pot with your favorite bbq sauce' but I also have very little experience with pork and have never done it myself.

I think it depends. I cook a lot of chicken breast in the slow cooker and it comes out delicious, and it's really lean obviously(pork tenderloin is on a comparable level of lean-ness afaik). Hence why I'm not really sure, and recipes are all over the place on what kind of pork to use for healthier pulled pork.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

Anyone have a solid recipe for a Thai cucumber salad? I'm grilling sriracha wings and pork satay this weekend at a big bbq cook-off and want to serve it as a side.

I make this from time to time: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/11/andy-ricker-thai-cucumber-salad-recipe-from-pok-pok.html

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Psychobabble! posted:

I think it depends. I cook a lot of chicken breast in the slow cooker and it comes out delicious, and it's really lean obviously(pork tenderloin is on a comparable level of lean-ness afaik). Hence why I'm not really sure, and recipes are all over the place on what kind of pork to use for healthier pulled pork.

If you're looking for a healthy recipe, don't make pulled pork. Seriously. A tenderloin is just going to become dried out leather if you cook it that long. The magic of pulled pork is that it's made from big, fatty, tough meats that render all their fat and connective tissue into a lip-smacking goodness. When all that poo poo is rendered, that's what makes it easy to "pull" with a couple forks. Not to poo poo all over your idea but it's like trying to make "healthy" mac and cheese or something.

Also, how do your chicken breasts not dry the gently caress out in a slow cooker? That's like the worst way to prepare them. I kind of get the feeling that you are just used to eating dry meat but don't realize it. Try chicken thighs next time, if you must use a slow cooker, or cook the breasts in the oven until they're about 155-160 (I do 150 myself but that might be a bit low for you).

EDIT:

Boneless country style pork ribs cooked in a slow cooker for 10 hours. Pork removed and shredded, liquid reduced in a pan then tossed with the shredded pork. Delicious. Fatty.

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 6, 2014

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
^^ The Midniter just posted everything I was about to post and better.

Seriously, Psychobabble, don't do it. If you're craving pulled pork, just make pulled pork. There is no way to make pulled pork healthier without making it a different texture. The fat and connective tissue on shoulder or country spare ribs or whatever cut you use are integral to the dish. Swapping out the meat for something lean (and expensive!) like tenderloin will just result in disappointment.

That said, if you happen to have pork tenderloin and want to use it, I'm sure we can come up with something tasty for you.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
To add to that, you can make pulled pork a bit healthier by removing all of the fat pieces or strain the fatty liquids after you've cooked it.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Two questions:
I've heard you guys talk about using a thermapen to "sacrifice" a single egg in a batch of boiled eggs in order to get them cooked just right. What temperature do you guys go with? I'm going for just past a fully-cooked yolk.

Anybody have a good base chicken stir fry marinade recipe? Most of the recipes I find online look too sweet or rely on pre-mixed sauces or don't look spicy enough. I generally work with garlic paste, oyster sauce, sesame oil, mirin, light soy sauce, and grated ginger. But I don't think I'm getting the proportions correct.

edit: I lied, I have a third question. I use the Fagor electric pressure cooker that's popular among us to make my sticky rice, but I'm not entirely happy with how it turns out. The texture just seems off somehow in a way that I have trouble quantifying. All I do is rinse the rice well, then put it in with an equal amount of hot water, and pound the rice button. Is it maybe because I generally cook just for myself and rarely go above a cup or two, so there's not enough rice mass? I don't add salt or anything, but I'm thinking of trying that next time.

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 6, 2014

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

BraveUlysses posted:

I have a cucumber relish recipe (Ajat) that is pretty amazing and I eat by the spoonful. Plus it's super simple. You could probably just slice the cucumbers instead of dicing them if you wanted it more salad-y.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Any recommendations for a pair of kitchen scissors?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

sharkattack posted:

I have a cucumber relish recipe (Ajat) that is pretty amazing and I eat by the spoonful. Plus it's super simple. You could probably just slice the cucumbers instead of dicing them if you wanted it more salad-y.

This looks great and simple, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I don't feel like making a mess of my stove tonight by searing a steak. How poorly do consumer level oven gas broilers work for this? I rather make a mess than have a disgusting pale steak, and also rather not waste a steak experimenting on what will probably be a disappointment. The broiler is configured like this:

edit: gently caress it, pan action was worth it.

geetee fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 7, 2014