Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EroticBlacksmith
May 13, 2010

Coldbird posted:

The scaling problem in boss design is there, but there's plenty of better solutions than invuln phases just by themselves. Stuff like adds, breaking the invuln by doing something specific like smashing a cable on the wall or carrying a bomb to a specific spot, etc. You can even kludge your way out of scaling problems by making the boss only take significant damage from static exploding barrels near him or whatever.

Stuff like Simon Says mechanics, bosses with parts you need to shoot or chop off, even dumb "don't stand in the fire" WoW mechanics all were common ten years ago, but seemingly are too difficult to put in without breaking the game somehow.

Lephantis is straight up the most fun boss in the game, and also the one players are least likely to see. What I'd love to see are bosses that force you to use the parkour elements to avoid attacks and hit weak points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Pierson posted:

Looks like we get a tasty new shotgun too as a warm-up to the new Prime stuff. Oh DE just when I think I'm out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFlaJA8fAB4

What's that saber-like thing he has?

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Nami Solo. It's not very good.

I'm impressed by how lazy the new secondary's model is though. They must have nearly everyone working on the new player ship and pvp stuff for that to be pushable.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I'm seriously considering buying Hydroid, since I don't want to grind forever like I did for Zephyr and I don't want to poo poo up chat with Vay Hek requests endlessly.

fake edit: Yeah, don't get Nami Solo. Nami Skylar is loving amazing. Reached level 22 on it without mods.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

zgrowler2 posted:

All the Loki parts will be gated behind T4 keys with waves of Hyena packs that shoot teslas and chase you through a maze of Grineer doors. Also every room has that new infested lobber thing because why not.

Or just make a terrible shitfest of laser projectiles and box traps that only an invisible Prime frame can safely navigate.

No need for that, it already takes 10 argon crystals to build.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Wait, people like the hyena pack battle? I haven't done it in a while, but that's because all of my experiences with the fight since the revamp have been "enter room, instantly get all energy stripped and HUD wobbled, run around shooting at the one hyena who goes near me until it's dead, chase down the other hyenas humping the rest of the team one-by-one and hope the magnet hyena dies fast enough that I might be able to regain enough energy to use my 1 power once before the battle ends."

I too would love to see some kind of innovation beyond "same enemy you've fought since the first two planets but now with more damage/hp!" and "boss who toggles invincibility at random points."

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

ElegantFugue posted:

Wait, people like the hyena pack battle? I haven't done it in a while, but that's because all of my experiences with the fight since the revamp have been "enter room, instantly get all energy stripped and HUD wobbled, run around shooting at the one hyena who goes near me until it's dead, chase down the other hyenas humping the rest of the team one-by-one and hope the magnet hyena dies fast enough that I might be able to regain enough energy to use my 1 power once before the battle ends."

I too would love to see some kind of innovation beyond "same enemy you've fought since the first two planets but now with more damage/hp!" and "boss who toggles invincibility at random points."

Keep in mind that for any frame that isn't Rhino/Nova/Loki/Ash, the Hyena Pack battle is "enter room, instantly get all energy stripped and HUD wobbled, die." (If the magnetic one spawns, it's hard for most frames; if both magnetic and fire spawn, it's impossible for most frames.)

I do that one in Online mode in Loki just to watch pubbies die.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ElegantFugue posted:

Nah, even with a Rhino, my only experience with the pack was just that. Horrifying.

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012
Much (if not all) of the challenge some of the fun bosses provide (stalker, g3, hyena pack) is taken away by specters, health/energy/shield packs.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
I throw Bastille around and then they don't do anything and then I murder them. :shrug:

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012
Assuming one has Vauban and plays it all day erry day. Save for ODD or DSD, I rarely play the dude.

Warkak
Dec 21, 2010

Cheesefoot-
Don't kink shame
Speaking of Vauban, Vauban systems alert is up for 44 minutes as of now.

VV:Its on PC.

Warkak fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 5, 2014

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

Warkak posted:

Speaking of Vauban, Vauban systems alert is up for 44 minutes as of now.

Oh man the only part I need. Tell me it's PC and not PS4. Stuck at work. Gah.

Terbulus
Apr 7, 2009

The corpus enemy design contest winner

were going full metal gear rising now lads

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Terbulus posted:

Yup, literally a MGR enemy, which is great because the more similar Warframe is to MGR the more I will play it.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

We'll either be able to kill it before it stands up, or it will be invincible until it stands up.

Terbulus
Apr 7, 2009

Only after you push it down a corridor mind

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
If penetration applies to it's riot shields, Shred is going to make that enemy beyond trivial. Or any kind of Penetration mod.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
That thing is not going to work on any ship tileset.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Then it's a perfect DE feature to have it bug out.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
It's going to end up like that one Doctor Who competition where someone drew a concept for a monster-of-the-week, and was disappointed when it turned out to be suspiciously human-sized instead of three storeys tall.

Except the Riot Moa is going to be the size of a roller.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
A roller-sized GRAD would be kind of cute.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kyte posted:

A roller-sized GRAD would be kind of cute.

Give it a little pat on the head as it nudges your ankles.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

necrobobsledder posted:

Then it's a perfect DE feature to have it bug out.
It tanks up facing the wrong direction.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Give it a little pat on the head as it nudges your ankles.
We need these for the dojo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
We actually need tiny versions of every enemy type in the dojo by the hundreds. Running into walls, boosting each other up stairs then sliding down in an endless cycle, hanging precariously off of the ceiling, getting stuck on their backs and helplessly flailing their limbs in the air, attempting unsuccessfully to ride all of the quadruped corpus robots like horses, etc.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Why isn't there Corpus mounted infantry come to think of it? I want MOA-Riders than charge and try to lance you.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

After making an Oberon (and I'm sure this goes for many frames) the game is now 'walk into room, press button, win'. It is good but awful at the same time, I try to spare it as a get out of bad situations card.

Croccers posted:

Why isn't there Corpus mounted infantry come to think of it? I want MOA-Riders than charge and try to lance you.

This would make a great boss. Maybe a Grineer/Corpus crossover.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Enemies die so fast in this game that it's better for DE to focus more upon how they die than what they do when alive. Can't remember the game where the developers mentioned that but it's a big part of why we can't make pretty interesting fights in general. Most of the brawlers like Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, and even MGR are basically arcade games with single player experiences and enemy density about 1/10 of what we have. There's some solutions that I'd consider viable like different game modes where enemies are much tougher and lesser while dropping more loot or rewards for the unit of time spent. But given how they were so lazy with the stealth mission I don't have a whole lot of faith on a really arcade style game flow mode that I thought the game would be from the first few missions on Mercury.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I kinda want to get myself some new guns, been running with the boltor which is hard to use against moving enemies and the lex.
Any suggestions? I just don't want to get a gun that is poo poo. I'd like something that's useful mid-range, the secondary could be close range only.
I'm also only rank 2 so some stuff is still locked for me.

Warkak
Dec 21, 2010

Cheesefoot-
Don't kink shame
I would suggest the Karak for your primary which remains decent for quite some time and as for your secondary try the Vasto, the quick reload time, good rate of fire, and possibility of making the Akvasto made it a decent, fun secondary. This is what I ran with for a decent time in the beginning.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

necrobobsledder posted:

Enemies die so fast in this game that it's better for DE to focus more upon how they die than what they do when alive. Can't remember the game where the developers mentioned that but it's a big part of why we can't make pretty interesting fights in general. Most of the brawlers like Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, and even MGR are basically arcade games with single player experiences and enemy density about 1/10 of what we have. There's some solutions that I'd consider viable like different game modes where enemies are much tougher and lesser while dropping more loot or rewards for the unit of time spent. But given how they were so lazy with the stealth mission I don't have a whole lot of faith on a really arcade style game flow mode that I thought the game would be from the first few missions on Mercury.

A big part of that also comes down to fundamental game design issues. For example, if you have a game that is primarily purposed around ranged combat (like Warframe) there are certain design restrictions you have to keep in mind to create a playable game. Basically, you either have to provide a means for players to avoid most of the damage from incoming fire while whittling down the opposition (re: cover-based shooters) or you have to allow the players to put out so much damage that they can down enemies in just a few shots, often buffered with generous health totals and some degree of regeneration (re: Halo and other shooters before the advent of cover design). Devil May Cry and other spectacle games use different mechanics and totals because the vast majority of enemies in them are melee attackers, which makes it easier to track incoming threats (melee attacks are far more telegraphed than gunfire by requiring some degree of body movement and having travel time before damage is applied), so you can have fewer enemies with considerable amounts of health and high damage totals. Doing the same with Warframe enemies would just result in frustration as players would have no universal way to mitigate the damage incoming while still returning damage in turn.

tl;dr version: ranged games and spectacle fighters are not mechanically equivalent.

I don't know how much of heresy it might be to say, but truthfully I'm of the opinion that the way to fix Warframe would be to look to the ME3 multiplayer.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Is the angstrom very good? I built the ogris which rocks, and I'm building the penta to try it out.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Is the angstrom very good? I built the ogris which rocks, and I'm building the penta to try it out.

The angstrum is amazing. It's a charge gun, and when you release the trigger it takes the percentage you charged up and fires that percent of the magazine as rockets. It has a base mag size of 3, but with multishot mods and magazine expanders I currently have mine at the point where a full charge shoots 13 rockets. They're not especially accurate but when you have that many explosives at once it doesn't matter.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
Angstrum is billed as a gun, but it's actually an assisted suicide machine. It has only raw damage going for it. It's easily the least controllable and most random explosive weapon in the game.

That being said, it's also the only real explosive secondary unless you count Castanas which is really a whole another thing. If you just want to blow yourself up, build the Penta, it's a lot more fun to use and far more effective, and your inevitable suicides will look better too!

Bonus - Penta also more useful with Nyx Absorb.

Coldbird fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 6, 2014

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes
Any PS4 crew on this afternoon and tonight, I plan on running through my numerous T1 and T2 keys (also the few T3) keys I still have. If you want in jump in my party or invite me to one (Steamshovel_Dan).

gently caress that noise, the lovely RNG and rear end in a top hat drop tables for prime parts is too much.

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

Golgozor fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 7, 2014

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS

Coldbird posted:

Angstrum is billed as a gun, but it's actually an assisted suicide machine. It has only raw damage going for it. It's easily the least controllable and most random explosive weapon in the game.

this is comically wrong, angstrum has a 100% predictable spread pattern even with maxed out multishot flinging 9 rockets at a time.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Assisted suicide machine sounds perfect, I already blow away my own iron skin with the ogris, which has finally given me a use for energy on rhino.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
I hit rank 16 the other day.

Still leveling the Angstrum and grinding for Ankyros prime. I dunno what to do after that. No more weapons.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
welcome to my world.

The only thing to do now is to scoff at the codex scanner, help newbies, and maybe grind out the more annoying rare stances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Terbulus posted:

I was just thinking that this could be used for comical effect to bulldozer away the piles of dead enemies in defense missions.