Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erebro
Apr 28, 2013

I Am Just a Box posted:

I'm more of a gonzo-goofy Pentex type, as is obvious from my post (I got suckered in by the Subsidiaries book, that book is great), but I do think it's worth pointing out if anybody in the thread cares about this that this is executed pretty well from what I saw, too. The Black Spiral material avoids immature pitfalls (or I must have skimmed past any parts that didn't) and provides a basis for a more thoughtful take on them while still leaving plenty of room and support for a more traditional black-and-white portrayal.

That, and they finally up and said "You know how Spirals say they're the real heroes here, balancing natural order of entropy? That's exactly as much bullshit as it sounds like, they're just a bunch of homicidal, vengeful lunatics (literally)."

Also, points for giving us two different kinds of Gorehound - there's the splatterpunk thugs, of course, but also the Jigsaw-esque mastermind torturers...who are just as pathetic and shortlived as their thuggish cousins. Neat satiric shooting down of "smart" serial killer archetypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Everything I know about Black Spirals comes from stuff published in relation to Rage, so I never thought they were anything besides Garou who ate too many paint chips.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I think this might be my current favorite sentence in a sourcebook.

quote:

Social media sites became the new battleground for blistering debates between the hidebound artistic vision of the aging developers and their increasingly pathological fans.

Edit: No wait, it's the Space Accountant sentence now.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The Guardian has an in-depth article on what happened to the WoD MMO. Short version: CCP have only the barest idea of what they're doing.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Pope Guilty posted:

The Guardian has an in-depth article on what happened to the WoD MMO. Short version: CCP have only the barest idea of what they're doing.

Interesting that Blood didn't like diablerie. Probably for the best it didn't happen, but part of me does think it'd be cool to play a gangrel with an Assassin's Creed-esque parkour system in a game.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Does Onyx Path have any intention to do anything with Changeling: the Lost?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Loomer posted:

Interesting that Blood didn't like diablerie. Probably for the best it didn't happen, but part of me does think it'd be cool to play a gangrel with an Assassin's Creed-esque parkour system in a game.

I just want a current-gen Vampire: Bloodlines.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Loomer posted:

It's kind of an indictment of that entire industry, really. A bunch of really cool ideas, usually poorly connected, hamstrung by poor management in one form or another.The Vision© was a running gag in Everquest, but with a project that scale you really need everyone to be in lock-step with one clear vision in mind to keep the whole thing from being a monumental shitheap. It's the difference between a game like World of Warcraft and, say, Warhammer Online.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Pope Guilty posted:

Does Onyx Path have any intention to do anything with Changeling: the Lost?

Rich was asked that in an interview published today! If the Chronicle Books continue doing well (ie, Werewolf and Mage keep up the success of Vampire), then we'll keep doing them. Which would mean Changeling, eventually.

http://twistedtalesevents.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/rich-thomas-interviewed-by-david.html

Lost has a Chapter in Dark Eras same as all the other games - Ethan developed it, and I think it's pretty cool.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

quote:

“Not once could he answer any question about moment-to-moment gameplay or areas of focus,” says one source. “Instead, he preferred to deliver buzzword-laden rambles… It was not uncommon for him to communicate in onomatopoeia.

"I once saw him looking over the shoulder of a programmer at some bit of User Interface the poor guy had hacked together. He straightened up, put fingers to lips and said, ‘No, this isn't it at all. Make it more... psssshhhh’ He hissed on his loving fingertips, like the air coming out of a bicycle tire, and then just walked away.”

This is top class project management.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there even a tiny chance this is good news for VtES?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Rich was asked that in an interview published today! If the Chronicle Books continue doing well (ie, Werewolf and Mage keep up the success of Vampire), then we'll keep doing them. Which would mean Changeling, eventually.

Well, as long as the Chronicle books continue to be really good and keep up the good work of producing nWoD 2nd Edition, this sounds good to me.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

moths posted:

Is there even a tiny chance this is good news for VtES?

The best shot for a VtES revival would've been in the form of an LCG by Fantasy Flight Games. Richard Garfield let slip that they were working on it, but the CEO of FFG said they ultimately decided not to move foward.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

While I would love an update of C:tL, I know that the game plays smoothly; I think play-ability upgrades for Promethean and especially Wraith/Giest would have more value.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I just want a current-gen Vampire: Bloodlines.

Seriously, I ever win the Lottery, I'm spending all that money getting this made.

Probably a good thing I don't actually play the lottery.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Okay but it has to be in the Requiem setting and let you join one of the five covenants and unlock special covenant powers. I'll never stop writing this post each time the subject comes up btw.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Okay but it has to be in the Requiem setting and let you join one of the five covenants and unlock special covenant powers. I'll never stop writing this post each time the subject comes up btw.

It still blows my mind that anybody thinks that this idea isn't a small bucket of cash waiting to be dumped over their own heads. It's not like Bloodlines was a massive success or anything but it's cult following is rabid.

I think part of the problem is that Bloodlines brought in a ton of Masquerade fans who then associated the games hilarious foibles (Malkavians, looking at you) with Masquerade. Every time I see a "What happened to the Malkavians?" thread I think, "Bloodlines, I love you, but I hate you. But mostly love."

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 6, 2014

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Ferrinus posted:

I just don't know why it hasn't been done. It's a fairly popular IP, lots of good backstory to sift and filter through and so on.

I just wonder if a Mage game could be made in the same spirit if they capped the powers before things get really fuckshit crazy.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Loomer posted:

Apparently he got on with some of the folks I know, but I was puzzled by this--the ability to loot another character's abilities seems to have pretty straightforward appeal.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

crime fighting hog posted:

I just don't know why it hasn't been done. It's a fairly popular IP, lots of good backstory to sift and filter through and so on.

I just wonder if a Mage game could be made in the same spirit if they capped the powers before things get really fuckshit crazy.

Much like Malkavians in Bloodlines, the opportunity for fuckshit crazy Mage powers is part of the appeal!

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Mendrian posted:

I think part of the problem is that Bloodlines brought in a ton of Masquerade fans who then associated the games hilarious foibles (Malkavians, looking at you) with Masquerade. Every time I see a "What happened to the Malkavians?" thread I think, "Bloodlines, I love you, but I hate you. But mostly love."

I'd have no problem with an "Infected with Malkavia" character option for a Requiem Bloodlines game.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I Am Just a Box posted:

By the way, I don't think Idigam Chronicle is really slated to have anything Kickstarted, but the same general philosophy has considerably raised my interest in seeing how that book turns out as well. First edition Forsaken was arguably my least favorite nWoD line primarily due to a lackluster execution, but the previewed second edition material really looks to turn around a lot of that.

We're not planning to kickstart at this point, but getting material out in front of people so they've got an idea of what we're doing and where we're coming from is really goddamn helpful. The feedback from people who read the open development stuff is informing what we do just the same as playtest feedback.

quote:

I'm more of a gonzo-goofy Pentex type, as is obvious from my post (I got suckered in by the Subsidiaries book, that book is great), but I do think it's worth pointing out if anybody in the thread cares about this that this is executed pretty well from what I saw, too. The Black Spiral material avoids immature pitfalls (or I must have skimmed past any parts that didn't) and provides a basis for a more thoughtful take on them while still leaving plenty of room and support for a more traditional black-and-white portrayal.

Erebro posted:

That, and they finally up and said "You know how Spirals say they're the real heroes here, balancing natural order of entropy? That's exactly as much bullshit as it sounds like, they're just a bunch of homicidal, vengeful lunatics (literally)."

It's a take on the Black Spirals that I hadn't thought of before but that made so much goddamn sense as soon as I read it. Best part of being a developer, hiring smart people and watching them be smart.

quote:

Also, points for giving us two different kinds of Gorehound - there's the splatterpunk thugs, of course, but also the Jigsaw-esque mastermind torturers...who are just as pathetic and shortlived as their thuggish cousins. Neat satiric shooting down of "smart" serial killer archetypes.

It wasn't really something we could let pass, not when the Gorehounds are right there.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Part of the problem, I think, with getting people on board with "let's spend money to make another Bloodlines!" is that it's an existing IP (even if you do move to Requiem), and the official sales numbers are pathetic. Add to that that probably nobody knows the full sales numbers (boxed plus Steam) to date and it just doesn't look that much better to an investor.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Also important to note: the company that made Bloodlines is infamous for amazingly written bug-riddled flops. It's why they folded.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Mors Rattus posted:

Also important to note: the company that made Bloodlines is infamous for amazingly written bug-riddled flops. It's why they folded.

Bloodlines is very much like Arcanum- expansive world, amazing writing, well-developed characters, a plethora of character customization options, and buggier than a week-old corpse. If only Troika's tremendous creativity and ambition could've been matched by their QA.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Woah what the heck?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Mage: the Awakening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1siWHmKV5c

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

They sent out the candidates for the Pentex Board of Directors position. A lot of them are pretty interesting from a lore standpoint / black comedy standpoint, like the demon (or Qashmallim?) and the health insurance market libertarian. I particularly enjoyed the "work-as-family" Silicon Valley guy.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
One of my friends is starting up a changeling game soon (maybe) and is looking for input on house rules. I know I'm going to suggest GMC style xp costs/chargen and some manner of fix to Autumn mantle, but what else should I suggest?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

moths posted:

Woah what the heck?

Looks like a crowdfunding for the translated edition of V20.

edit: I live in Spain so I might actually get this.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

There's this too:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-05-layoffs-hit-eve-online-studio-ccp

The 49 job losses, confirmed by CCP after an initial Polygon report, are said to affect the company's publishing organisation.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Pimpmust posted:

The 49 job losses, confirmed by CCP after an initial Polygon report, are said to affect the company's publishing organisation.

Onyx Path, which makes the tabletop books, aren't CCP's "publishing organization," it's a separate tiny company that licenses the tabletop rights from CCP and hires the writers on a freelance basis. It was a different wave of transfers and layoffs that devastated the in-house CCP White Wolf folks; I'm pretty sure the formation of Onyx Path was in part a reaction to that earlier wave.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Hahah, White Wolf sent out an email for blood nativity. I haven't thought of that thing in years. It was the only Vampire supplement Atlas ever released, and it was actually written by White Wolf staff anyway. It was less nonsensical than the first official supplement, though - Alien Hunger.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Yawgmoth posted:

One of my friends is starting up a changeling game soon (maybe) and is looking for input on house rules. I know I'm going to suggest GMC style xp costs/chargen and some manner of fix to Autumn mantle, but what else should I suggest?

Either reduce the impact of Clarity via houserules or encourage your ST to include Jupiter dreams as a major feature of the game. My recommendation would be to include dreams as a major feature of the game from the jump.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Great marketing for Book of the Wyrm from the Idiots on Social Media thread:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Heirs to Hell just got sent out to Demon KS backers.

Overall, I'm liking it! I don't accept the idea that the entire conflict with demons is just to produce more demon-bloods for the God-Machine to use, but fortunately that is just an option rather than the gospel truth.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Mors Rattus posted:

Heirs to Hell just got sent out to Demon KS backers.

Overall, I'm liking it! I don't accept the idea that the entire conflict with demons is just to produce more demon-bloods for the God-Machine to use, but fortunately that is just an option rather than the gospel truth.

I don't particularly like it as the only reason for the conflict, but it's a fantastic explanation or conspiracy theory to explain why the Machine just lets some things slide. Really, that's a good part of why I like Demon - the God-Machine appears infallible to shallow inspection, but the cracks in the logic that make it work allow for big honkin' blind spots and flaws. Angels, by nature, have to be susceptible to the Fall, because the God-Machine needs a way to parse interactions with humanity, so "patching out that bug" would leave it with a completely useless tool that can't give it useful feedback. Infrastructure has to have a weak spot. Its power has to come from somewhere, some arcane combination of action and ritual that can be disrupted. Its innermost workings have to be accessible, no matter how sequestered, so they can be maintained.

It allows for a game where the entire world is out to get you, but you don't feel like it's only Storyteller fiat keeping you from "rocks angels fall, everyone dies," and the reasons why that is are vague enough that you can infer some incredibly unsettling possibilities like the demon-blood farm paradigm.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've recently been reminded why Hunter is probably one of my all time favorite WoD games. At the end of the day, when the crazy weapons and magic are gone you're just kinda a gang of sociopaths who think you're better than the monsters because your poo poo is more narrow in scope. That works for stuff like Demons and Vampires but when you're ripping a Mage's tongue out for the crime of 'maybe did something weird' and your group is having a heated argument about if it's ethical to hold a Changeling responsible for her crimes when she's basically a magic battered wife the next day when you find out it was her instead, the game kinda takes this weird, interesting, turn for WoD. In a series full of black and white stuff it's really fun to play a guy who goes 'ok I know we just shot a guy in the face back there but maybe we handled that wrong?' and dealing with all the flavors of weirdo bitter victim the hunting life attracts.

I think Hunter adds a very important depth to the world where it presents the victims of the 'bigger' games and puts them in a role where at the end of the day they have to decide if they're going to continue the cycle of blind violence based just on 'because we can' or if they're going to take a more nuanced view of a hosed up world they're not a part of.

Also I really like that I can make a piece of poo poo old money Ashwood member who's main goal in life is to find a way to make a werewolf coat and be on the same 'level' as an ex-Marine monster hunter dealing with PTSD and a priest struggling with his faith, and also some random chick who just kinda watched a vampire kill her husband and now wants payback. I really dig that all those are valid options and putting them together in the back of a van with a bound and gagged mage makes really fun roleplaying.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I've recently been reminded why Hunter is probably one of my all time favorite WoD games. At the end of the day, when the crazy weapons and magic are gone you're just kinda a gang of sociopaths who think you're better than the monsters because your poo poo is more narrow in scope. That works for stuff like Demons and Vampires but when you're ripping a Mage's tongue out for the crime of 'maybe did something weird' and your group is having a heated argument about if it's ethical to hold a Changeling responsible for her crimes when she's basically a magic battered wife the next day when you find out it was her instead, the game kinda takes this weird, interesting, turn for WoD. In a series full of black and white stuff it's really fun to play a guy who goes 'ok I know we just shot a guy in the face back there but maybe we handled that wrong?' and dealing with all the flavors of weirdo bitter victim the hunting life attracts.

I think Hunter adds a very important depth to the world where it presents the victims of the 'bigger' games and puts them in a role where at the end of the day they have to decide if they're going to continue the cycle of blind violence based just on 'because we can' or if they're going to take a more nuanced view of a hosed up world they're not a part of.

Also I really like that I can make a piece of poo poo old money Ashwood member who's main goal in life is to find a way to make a werewolf coat and be on the same 'level' as an ex-Marine monster hunter dealing with PTSD and a priest struggling with his faith, and also some random chick who just kinda watched a vampire kill her husband and now wants payback. I really dig that all those are valid options and putting them together in the back of a van with a bound and gagged mage makes really fun roleplaying.

One of the things I want to do with a Hunter game one day is, after throwing all sorts of supernaturals at them, throw a bunch of normal humans at them that are being spooky and horrible. No ghosts, no spirits, no inhuman superpowers. Just pure human evil like the Countrycide episode of Torchwood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it's good to toss in the occasional twisted human, I'm almost positive this polygamist compound my group is about to take down is just normal perverts pretending to do magic and that should be interesting after our previous mage shenanigans. Of course it could be genuine, basically we have even odds of taking fire bursts in the face or just finding a sad old crazy dude, and that adds some interesting dynamics that prevent it from being simple "let's just burn his house down" stuff.

• Locked thread