Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
C3 releases for May 23, 2014:

New! Acoustica C01 6-pack
  • Guns N' Roses - "You Ain't the First" (farottone)
  • Kansas - "Dust in the Wind" (Lowlander)
  • Paul McCartney - "Little Willow" (farottone)
  • POM - "Deep Shift"(GanonMetroid and AddyMilldike)
  • Queensr˙che - "The Lady Wore Black (Live from MTV Unplugged)" (farottone)
  • Winger - "Who's the One" (farottone)
New! John Fogerty C01 4-pack (ws54)
  • John Fogerty - "Blue Moon Nights" (incl. rhythm version)
  • John Fogerty - "Centerfield"
  • John Fogerty - "Deja Vu (All Over Again)"
  • John Fogerty - "Hot Rod Heart"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spooky Chris
Aug 18, 2003
Harleyite Extraordinaire
As someone who's not doing anything for the holiday weekend and loves playing vocals, I'm not too busy to say that an acoustic pack is super cool. Good job!

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

pksage posted:

Alex Rigopulos did an AMA on reddit yesterday. When asked what he thinks about C3, he said it was "amazing" that we've kept up the weekly thing. It's really inspiring just to hear from regular RB players that they like what we do, but for Rigopolcopter to say the same... :swoon::swoon::swoon:
I guess now C3 needs to come up with some kind of contrived kickstarter since A-Rig donated like $2,000 to ScoreHero for virtually no reason back in the day. The question is, with which author would he get to fly to the city of/eat dinner with/sleep on the floor of?

ixnay posted:

Online multiplayer is going to be a stretch goal
Now this kind of irks me... HMX is a real studio, not a starry-eyed Ed-Wood-of-videogames straight out of DigiPen trying to hype up their perpetually unfinished, you-have-to-donate-enough-to-get-it indie prison simulator game. Either it's coming out or it's not. If the goal isn't reached, online multiplayer will almost certainly come out post-launch as DLC. This stinks of just being a ploy for additional backers.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

HMX may be a good studio but it doesn't mean they can pull online multiplayer out of their asses for nothing!

Edit: the company isn't literally flat broke begging to eat, but a project only has as much money as the business can justify putting into it. They're running a Kickstarter because that amount in this case was zero dollars.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 24, 2014

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I thought the Kickstarter was to foot the bill for music licensing, but I saw a soundtrack list that appeared to be like 90% HMX bands. Or are they gonna start licensing more well-known acts now the the Kickstarter is done? I don't wanna turn into Methodis here, just curious.

Joshie
Oct 29, 2001

MAYOR OF PIGTOWN
The AMA definitely said that the Kickstarter goal was solely to cover salary for the team that would be working on Amplitude, and that the pursuit of licensed music would be based on the stretch donations. It was also said that they'll be investing a 'substantial' amount of additional funds into the game, which would worry me given that I imagine the majority of the audience for this game has already bought a copy at this point.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Sorta Rock Band question for you guys.

I've still got my Ion Drum Rocker sitting around and recently I've been working with some music creation tools and playing with MIDI devices and I'd like to have a MIDI drum set. Is there a recommended drum brain (or whatever the correct term for that is) that I could use to plug my current pads into and upgrade it to a MIDI drum set?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Fina posted:

Sorta Rock Band question for you guys.

I've still got my Ion Drum Rocker sitting around and recently I've been working with some music creation tools and playing with MIDI devices and I'd like to have a MIDI drum set. Is there a recommended drum brain (or whatever the correct term for that is) that I could use to plug my current pads into and upgrade it to a MIDI drum set?

I actually bought this upgrade kit which does just that. My only complaint is that the drum module is basic as gently caress, but hey, you get what you pay for. If you just want a fully functional drum set with a MIDI output, this is what you need.

CAVEAT EMPTOR, though. I've heard a lot of people complain about buying from RockBandParts.com. Lots of delayed/canceled orders and stuff like that. I had no trouble, but just thought you should know.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
C3 releases for May 30, 2014:

New! Bon Jovi C01 6-pack (DVDSmith)
  • Bon Jovi - "Bed of Roses"
  • Bon Jovi - "Blood on Blood"
  • Bon Jovi - "Dry County"
  • Bon Jovi - "Keep the Faith"
  • Bon Jovi - "Raise Your Hands"
  • Bon Jovi - "These Days"
New! Singles
  • A Perfect Circle - "Judith" (Lowlander)
  • Bad Brains - "Re-Ignition (Live)" (Lowlander)
  • Linkin Park - "Lost in the Echo" (BravoGangUS feat. Nightmare Lyra)
  • PrinceWhateverer - "Not Letting Go" (incl. rhythm version) (Nightmare Lyra)
  • R. Kelly - "Ignition (Remix)" (uSound feat. RyanHYK)
  • Sleigh Bells - "Run the Heart" (uSound feat. RyanHYK)
  • Temple of the Dog - "Hunger Strike" (Colonel 32dll and CrazyCanuck feat. Lowlander)
  • The Devil Wears Prada - "Still Fly" (uSound feat. Nightmare Lyra)
  • Van Halen - "Cathedral" (Lowlander)

I'M GON' HUNGREHHHHHHHHHHH (I'M GON HUNGREH-EHHHH)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

pksage posted:

I'M GON' HUNGREHHHHHHHHHHH (I'M GON HUNGREH-EHHHH)
I'm gon' play the hell out of this without shame. (And APC's Judith.)

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

pksage posted:

[*]R. Kelly - "Ignition (Remix)" (uSound feat. RyanHYK)

Well, that's it. Nothing will ever top this. Rock band 3 is now complete.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Huge fan of "Hunger Strike", thanks! Also, I always enjoy weeks where an author drops a bunch of songs by an artist they really love and then gives an in-depth explanation of what makes each track cool, so the Bon Jovi stuff is a lot of fun.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Awesome. Going to annoy the hell out of my wife with Hunger Strike. Good singles week.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

pksage posted:

A Perfect Circle - "Judith" (Lowlander)

:allears: gently caress yes.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
This is a great week. Judith, Bon Jovi, and Ignition (Remix)? Goddamn you guys are great.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Hunger Strike and Judith? Wish you posted earlier so I could have called into work today. Added bonus: I could sing myself hoarse and make it more convincing.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
I'm actually amazed. Dry County's like 9 minutes long. Never thought it'd be charted in a million years.

Everyone needs to play Keep the Faith, though. Always thought it'd be perfect for the game.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

That is an insane number of songs for a release day! Like you could have held onto these and released over weeks to cover any slow periods you had, but nope, throwing them all at once! You guys are amazing.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

The T posted:

That is an insane number of songs for a release day! Like you could have held onto these and released over weeks to cover any slow periods you had, but nope, throwing them all at once! You guys are amazing.

We're like Bill Gates. If we stop to think about when to release stuff, we actually author less songs. :D

farottone fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 30, 2014

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
C3 releases for June 6, 2014:

New! (Arguably) Funk C01 5-pack
  • Booker T & the M.G.'s - "Green Onions" (farottone)
  • Duran Duran - "Notorious" (farottone)
  • James Brown - "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag Part I" (farottone)
  • Lipps Inc. - "Funkytown" (farottone)
  • Primus - "Those Damned Blue-Collar Tweekers" (RyanHYK)
New! Super Mario Bros. C01 3-pack (Nightmare Lyra)
  • Koji Kondo - "Koopa's Theme" (from Super Mario 64)
  • Koji Kondo - "Slider" (from Super Mario 64)
  • Koji Kondo - "Super Mario 64 Main Theme" (from Super Mario 64)
New! Singles
  • Against Me! - "I Was a Teenage Anarchist" (RyanHYK)
  • The Beatles - "She Loves You" (Orange Harrison)
  • Chaotrope - "Yuukei" (Kcunningham04)
  • Devin Townsend Project - "Juular" (Nightmare Lyra)
  • X Japan - "Jade" X (AddyMilldike)

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Funkytown. Notorious. Beatles. Great week!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Tweakers and Juular? Yes. Double-yes.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Whoops, looks like Romsus doesn't have to work on Juular anymore

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tweekers is not what I would have expected for more Primus.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Welp, I think I can safely throw Slider into the list of guitar charts that I'll never be able to pass. :suicide:

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Hooray, we finally got to have a Rock Band party for the first time in a half year. Featured was a whole lot of Dream Theater, some Goyte, some other random bits thrown in, and Flagpole Sitta. Twice. :allears:

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

New download-only Dance Central game for Xbone:
http://www.harmonixmusic.com/blog/announcing-dance-central-spotlight/

This game would probably stand a better chance if Microsoft didn't remove Kinect from Xbox One a month ago.
And if there was a way to make a motion game not be on Xbox One.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 9, 2014

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
Not only is it a new Dance Central on Xbone, if you've bought any of the DLC for the 360 games those will transfer over to the new console.

quote:

Furthermore, for those who did buy downloadable songs for any Dance Central game on Xbox 360, those will be free to them in the Xbox One version. Weekly song catalog updates, a hallmark of Harmonix rhythm titles, are promised "for a substantial time" after release. Fifty additional downloadable songs will be available for Dance Central: Spotlight at its September launch.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

ixnay posted:

Not only is it a new Dance Central on Xbone, if you've bought any of the DLC for the 360 games those will transfer over to the new console.

That's actually fantastic. I wonder what the status of on-disc exports are (especially DC3).

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Amazing news for any potential Rock Band title on the XB1, too. Presumably all of the songs that remain licensed (i.e. not "Don't Stop Believing", Metallica, etc.) are licensed for all platforms, not just the 360.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

pksage posted:

Amazing news for any potential Rock Band title on the XB1, too. Presumably all of the songs that remain licensed (i.e. not "Don't Stop Believing", Metallica, etc.) are licensed for all platforms, not just the 360.

I have to wonder on the logistics of that. How do they track what you bought on the old console and resolve that with the new one?

I mean, if anyone can do that, it's probably Harmonix.

The only problem I have is if I was going to buy a next gen system it would probably be a PS4. This just might sway me though...

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

CzarChasm posted:

I have to wonder on the logistics of that. How do they track what you bought on the old console and resolve that with the new one?

I mean, if anyone can do that, it's probably Harmonix.

The only problem I have is if I was going to buy a next gen system it would probably be a PS4. This just might sway me though...

The Xbox 360 and Xbox One use the same gamertags/microsoft accounts, so presumably the bought content could somehow be applied across consoles. Presumably.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Orange Harrison posted:

This game would probably stand a better chance if Microsoft didn't remove Kinect from Xbox One a month ago.

Wait, I haven't been keeping up on my Xbox One news. Is the Kinect no longer a thing?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
It's still a thing, it's just that they're now selling a Kinect-less One for $100 less.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Little extra nugget for people who downloaded "She Loves You":
The song has a custom crowd sing-along audio track (ala old RB disc songs) for when the player's performance meter is high. A first for any RB custom ever, I believe.
Something that was very hard to make and I will likely never ever do again.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Aw, too bad that they're hard to make, I love those. :smith:

Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed that the singalong track for American Pie appears to be broken? I think it's charted as a crowd singalong, but the audio that plays is the generic crowd cheer/roar/clap noise instead so it sounds like butt.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
Harmonix just closed the alpha test of their music-based FPS, Chroma. On their Facebook page:

quote:

Based on the terrific feedback we got from all of you in the community, as well as our own analysis, we have concluded that Chroma will need some substantial retooling to be the game we want it to be. We remain passionately committed to the high-level vision, and we think there are some very successful mechanics and systems in the existing build. The team has, in fact, already started prototyping new directions for the game based on those successful mechanics. We look forward to sharing with you down the line, as Chroma evolves in new directions.

Doesn't sound too good...

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I was in the alpha, and yeah, the game wasn't exactly ready for prime-time. Interesting ideas, but they're trying to re-invent the FPS experience while not having any experience making FPSes, so it never really felt "right".

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if this got canceled unfortunately.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
It was fun, though! I think they captured their goal, which was "make a beat-based FPS", very well. I think the major problem was that even the optimal realization of that goal wasn't as engaging an experience as a traditional arena FPS.

whypick1 is right, though, that some polish would have gone a long way. We never got CTF, right? The checkpoint map was fun, but a 2fort-but-bigger CTF map would have been cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

2fort should be in as few games as possible.

• Locked thread