Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Elucidarius posted:

I'm kind of curious as to the opinions of the people in this thread. One of the finalists from Rupaul's Drag Race released an album that is actually fairly decent pop. Everyone keeps saying things about how she could be the first to breakthrough to the mainstream side of things outside of Rupaul but I'm curious as to what you guys think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmV62-f-xnU

Personally, I love it and think it's catchy as hell. I could see it becoming popular for sure.

Oh hey it's Adore! Considering her alterego first came to national attention on American Idol, I'm not at all surprised at the quality here. She has legit pipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Here's a not-as-good Cheryl Cole song - 'Crazy Stupid Love' (featuring the word 'dickmatized').

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XEXIGUhk1I

I've sat and tried to accept that some of my favourite pop artists will make bad music sometimes, but oh man, this Cheryl song is so atrocious. The lyric video sounds like a weird leaked demo. I thought something was wrong with my headphones when I first listened to it. Interested in seeing what the album is like if this is the lead single.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Right now I'm 0/3 in liking stuff from LDR's Ultraviolence. It's all just dulcet moans just barely above sing-talk that goes nowhere lyrically, musically (Shades of Cool isn't guilty of this), or emotionally. What a disappointment.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I honestly think West Coast is one of her best songs, the chorus is so wonderfully dreamy

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Lana's unreleased stuff is always way better than her studio stuff. Hollywood's Dead would be a massive hit!

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I think all of Lana's music sounds exactly the same. It's interesting the first time you hear it, but she doesn't seem versatile or interesting as an artist to me. Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I've heard everything is low moans and whispers. It got old quick, but I'd love to be wrong, maybe she will surprise me.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
[quote="Sprat Sandwich" post="430503676"

Here's a not-as-good Cheryl Cole song - 'Crazy Stupid Love' (featuring the word 'dickmatized').

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XEXIGUhk1I
[/quote]

At first I thought that it didn't sound so bad. Just being that generic pop song number 1 million. But then the worst effort trumpets kicked in and I couldn't stop laughing. Who produced this?

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WZmxAWnrvE

Actually she is a sardonic, brooding sort of genius and this song in particular owns--more power to her for trying to break out of pop

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Lana's unreleased stuff is always way better than her studio stuff. Hollywood's Dead would be a massive hit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sbUnk_-XGE

Which is how this song came about, I guess . . .

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 7, 2014

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Stalins Moustache posted:

At first I thought that it didn't sound so bad. Just being that generic pop song number 1 million. But then the worst effort trumpets kicked in and I couldn't stop laughing. Who produced this?

Quite honestly, I think the trumpets are pretty awesome. They give the whole thing a weird, off-beat quality that actually saves the song from being too generic.

EDIT: And I looked it up. The producer is Wayne Wilkins, who produced her previous hit "Fight For This Love" and has some other high profile work under his belt (Beyoncé, Natasha Bedingfield, Jordin Sparks).

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 7, 2014

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Went on a Janet Jackson binge this morning, I'm not sure why she's not up there with Madonna, Whitney, Mariah, etc. She is massively underrated.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Went on a Janet Jackson binge this morning, I'm not sure why she's not up there with Madonna, Whitney, Mariah, etc. She is massively underrated.

Unfortunately, we all know why she's not up there, don't we? That Superbowl show killed her career, and her last couple of albums were simply too bad to resurrect ist.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Crying For No Reason really is one of the best pop songs of the past few years. Am I the only one hearing a distinct Pet Shop Boys influence? It reminds me a lot of Untouchable by Girls Aloud, which IIRC was written by the Pet Shop Boys.

edit: I'm dumb, I mean The Loving Kind, though it does sound a bit like Untouchable too now that I think about it

PUGGERNAUT fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 9, 2014

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

She kills it on Still, too. (Katy B chat)

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

the truth posted:

She kills it on Still, too. (Katy B chat)

Top 5 Katy B songs:

1. Crying For No Reason
2. 5 AM
3. Still
4. Perfect Stranger
5. Aaliyah

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

DominoDancing posted:

Quite honestly, I think the trumpets are pretty awesome. They give the whole thing a weird, off-beat quality that actually saves the song from being too generic.

I've listened to it some more and it has grown on me a bit, but that doesn't change that it doesn't have a proper chorus and while I don't mind some brass I feel like trumpets (or at least these trumpets) are a poor fit for this song. I don't know if it's a mixing or recording issue but it sounds off. Like when someone composites and doesn't blend it properly and it looks like they just pasted something on top of another.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Top 5 Katy B songs:

1. Crying For No Reason
2. 5 AM
3. Still
4. Perfect Stranger
5. Aaliyah

I'm OK with this.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I've listened to it some more and it has grown on me a bit, but that doesn't change that it doesn't have a proper chorus and while I don't mind some brass I feel like trumpets (or at least these trumpets) are a poor fit for this song. I don't know if it's a mixing or recording issue but it sounds off. Like when someone composites and doesn't blend it properly and it looks like they just pasted something on top of another.

I'm OK with this.

They definitely aren't trumpets. Some sort of midi saxophone I think. They make the song sound like a bad demo version.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

My friend Rachel got a new track produced by Timbaland on this Pepsi Beats album that came out today. It's actually quite good, I'm not promoting her really, I'm just really impressed. It's a good track.

"Whoever We Are"

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/whoever-we-are-feat.-rachel/id873283028?i=873283374

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Man, at least link a free stream somewhere

edit:

e.g. http://www.hiphopearly.com/Timbaland-ft-Rachel-Assil-Whoever-We-Are-t23944.html

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Ah cool, thanks!

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

somnambulist posted:

My friend Rachel got a new track produced by Timbaland on this Pepsi Beats album that came out today. It's actually quite good, I'm not promoting her really, I'm just really impressed. It's a good track.

"Whoever We Are"

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/whoever-we-are-feat.-rachel/id873283028?i=873283374

That is awesome! I love Timbaland.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

This is a pretty bangin song from Tove Stryke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCcYl9E73nI

TheIndividual posted:

They definitely aren't trumpets. Some sort of midi saxophone I think. They make the song sound like a bad demo version.

Yeah, they sound real bad.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
For once, I'm actually enjoying most of the summer music being played on the radio. Problem, Am I Wrong, and Sing own. I guess I'm liking the return to a more soulful pop. Should I be thankful for Robin Thicke and Def Jam from last year?

Though it's annoying that in the back of my mind, the artists seem to be pushed on us.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Problem and Fancy would be better if they had Kesha instead of Iggy Azalea.

I miss Kesha :(

bryn987
May 31, 2014
I'm late to the party but I've been digging Lorde lately

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

somnambulist posted:

I think all of Lana's music sounds exactly the same. It's interesting the first time you hear it, but she doesn't seem versatile or interesting as an artist to me. Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I've heard everything is low moans and whispers. It got old quick, but I'd love to be wrong, maybe she will surprise me.

No, that's really her thing and I can understand that it's not going to appeal to everyone. It's especially true in her new album Ultraviolence. She has said in interviews her singing reflects her emotional state, so her songs are pretty personal pieces.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I said come in! posted:

No, that's really her thing and I can understand that it's not going to appeal to everyone. It's especially true in her new album Ultraviolence. She has said in interviews her singing reflects her emotional state, so her songs are pretty personal pieces.

I understand that, but wouldn't......most musicians (real ones) say that and still do interesting things?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

bryn987 posted:

I'm late to the party but I've been digging Lorde lately

Quite late, my girlfriend and I are both sick of her album after at least half of it has gotten constant radio play. Even Adele had more staying power.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

somnambulist posted:

I understand that, but wouldn't......most musicians (real ones) say that and still do interesting things?

Some, sure. I don't know about most. There is a very high volume of musicians and writers out there who put out tons of songs that all sound more or less the same.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Lana has to be one of the most genuinely interesting people around--or unique, anyways http://radio.com/2014/06/12/lana-del-rey-interview-maleficent-ultraviolence/

quote:

In your current cover story with The Fader, you talked about having a keen interest in science and technology.

I majored in metaphysics in college, that’s what I got my degree in. And the reason I chose that was because the Jesuits who were teaching that subject, they weren’t just theologians, they also had backgrounds in science. Obviously the quest for peace, the quest for knowledge of something bigger is…that’s the end game. That’s what I’m really interested in. But technology, I believe, is bringing us closer to maybe figuring out some of those questions, and I think we’ve really seen that in the last ten years. I’m interested just like probably anybody else is. I guess meeting people like Elon Musk and people involved in the tech world in different ways has been interesting to me.

I wanted to ask you about the Ultraviolence song, “F—-d My Way Up to the Top”…

Oh, God.

In an interview with Grazia in Germany, you inferred that it was in part a response to another popular female artist who’d said derogatory things about you in the press.

What do I say… I put so much time in putting a narrative to the track listing together, and then I’m so stupid because I should just know that it’s totally gonna be disregarded because I just set myself up. Let me put it this way, every track that I put on there and every track name and the order that it’s in tells a story that is important to me. In my mind, the narrative for this record ends with the last track, not the bonus deluxe stuff, all that business. It ends with the cover of Nina Simone’s “The Other Woman.” And without even really saying more about that, the decision to end with a cover of a jazz song and the content within that, it’s kind of telling in its own way.

And so is “Having F—–d My Way Up To The Top” being toward the end of the track listing. I would say the track having more of a hip hop heavier beat, whereas the rest of the album is live and organic…it kind of drives this one particular point home. It’s hard when you’re doing something in the studio, you kind of feel like your story about it is going to end there, but then in interviews you’re never really sure how far to elaborate…there’s not much I can really say about it that’s going to help you understand. I’ll just wait for you to listen to it.

She hasn't been digging Lorde lately

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I said come in! posted:

That doesn't make her special.

Hopefully the rest of the album doesn't put me to sleep.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Her writing certainly hasn't gotten any better, but you can hear the Auerbach all over it and by proxy the Danger Mouse. It almost sounds kind of like that album "Rome," but with Lana and The Black Keys instead of Norah Jones and Jack White. Born to Die was so huge and had so many big tracks, I imagine a lot of people are going to be disappointed. I'm also very curious to hear how she is going to tour the album, I saw her about a month ago and it was so loud you couldn't hear her or the band a lot of the time.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Here's a good Charli XCX song - 'Boom Clap' (featuring clips from some movie).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOPMlIIg_38

Just heard this. What a great hook.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Quite late, my girlfriend and I are both sick of her album after at least half of it has gotten constant radio play. Even Adele had more staying power.

I'm pretty sure every New Zealand radio station played her back to back for about the last 6 months+ so I can totally totally relate there...

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Guys, you gotta help me, I can't stop listening to Ultraviolence. It's so brooding and torch-singer-y and haunting and lovely, it's great.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Yoshifan823 posted:

Guys, you gotta help me, I can't stop listening to Ultraviolence. It's so brooding and torch-singer-y and haunting and lovely, it's great.

It's so much better than Born To Die. Holy poo poo.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

I've had the opposite reaction to Ultraviolence. First listen really bored me, and while subsequent listens have made it grow on me I don't think I'll ever like it as much as I like Born to Die (which I absolutely love).

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I started listening to 'Ultraviolence' but at that moment something incredible was released and I ascended onto a higher plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okC1XE0jX2U
Jessie Ware - Tough Love

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Oh my god oh my god oh my god. I didn't even know she had something new coming out.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Oh my god oh my god oh my god. I didn't even know she had something new coming out.

Yeah she announced the 'world premiere' last week but it was kinda low-key I guess but then yesterday happened and pack your poo poo up everyone you tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I'm halfway through the main part of Ultraviolence (not including bonus tracks - just the core album) and think it sounds better as a whole than as a gaggle of promo singles. It might be good for traffic jams, but I haven't heard anything that really grabs me like a handful of songs on Born To Die did.