Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

me in the op posted:

Australia has been lucky enough to be placed in a group where the question is less how many points can they realistically get and more will they have a single digit negative goal difference. There is a slight chance that a draw may be possible against Chile but expect farcical drubbings from both Spain and the Netherlands.

I said this and people still were optimistic. SMGDH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

For my triple post, in non national team news Carl Valeri has signed for Melbourne Victory.

Guess who else victory are about to sign. Anthony Crea #SAD

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

dj_pain posted:

Guess who else victory are about to sign. Anthony Crea #SAD

You're a Sydney fan yeah? What are your opinions on him, is he amazing or terrible or just another physio

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

Byolante posted:

I said this and people still were optimistic. SMGDH

Most people are clueless on just how bad we are. I have two $100 bets going with friends who think we will make it out of the group.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Flipside is that expectations are so low that if we score a goal the country will vote 5, go hog wild.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Bogan Krkic posted:

Anyone watch enough of him to know why he dropped completely off the national team radar?
He's barely been able to get on the park through injury. He'll have signed under the cap because he sees this as his last chance

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bogan Krkic posted:

6 A-League players is either a glowing representation of the strides the league has taken or a damning indictment of the state of our national team. I can't decide which.

Look at it more that five players from the qualifying squad are included in the whole team

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
I'm happy with this squad, and with this group. I'm an indefatigable optimist, particularly with football, and as such I'm glad we are where we are. Short of somehow moving the entire Socceroos to UEFA and bribing our way into getting spanked in the champions league week in week out I can't think of a better contest and potential foundation for something better to come in future.

I was one of the people who loving hated it when Ange signed on for the top job, but that was because I don't like Kevin Muscat and I wanted the coach we'd paid for - definition of club over country. But that said, short of getting Guus back Ange is the only person who I'd actually trust to rebuild the national team and do it in the way we've needed it for ages: play some loving new guys because even if they're only fringe players in poo poo leagues they're the best we've got and at some point in the future we'll be relying on these guys.

I'm seriously loving excited to see what the A league players can do, and if/when they get hosed up and turned inside out I won't give a poo poo because I'm really proud of them. I'm thinking back to when Melbourne and Brisbane and Central Coast were in the ACL I loving loved that too, even when we got spanked - if only for the minutes where we were competitive out of nowhere, and how much better the players were once they came back. The same thing will happen in Brazil and I'm pumped as all poo poo to see it happen.

I loving love the world cup :australia:

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
That is a great post and I agree with every element of it

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Aaaaaaah I'm so insanely pumped for the World Cup and Tongues' post is pushing all the right buttons, I'm doing all the moves

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Win loose or have all my icing sugar and flower snorted by bozza I will be happy with Australia because they are actually going to world cups now.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
hopefully they'll be kind enough to play the australia games in the pubs in brazil, otherwise I might only know of our results by the pointing and laughing of random civilians as i walk through the streets with my jersey donned.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Robbie Fowler posted:

hopefully they'll be kind enough to play the australia games in the pubs in brazil, otherwise I might only know of our results by the pointing and laughing of random civilians as i walk through the streets with my jersey donned.

You're going to Brazil but aren't going to watch any of our games? For shame.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

You're going to Brazil but aren't going to watch any of our games? For shame.

I missed out on TST tickets for Australia in the first release and shitted the bed, deciding to get tickets to some games rather than gamble and lose.

I do get to see Portugal V Germany though so that'll make up for it.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Surely there'll be someone outside a stadium selling tickets for one of the games where we get demolished, you've gotta go see us completely fail to defend, pass or score on the biggest stage of all.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
So. David Villa eh

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

He's going to loving dominate

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Shmoses posted:

So. David Villa eh

Literally flabbergasted

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

You're a Sydney fan yeah? What are your opinions on him, is he amazing or terrible or just another physio

If you players aren't fit he will get them fit quickly, but then you need to let him go. MV are going to have a crap load of injuries this coming season.

Also David Villa, 10 games tho so it will be interesting seeing how city cope after he leaves.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

David Williams will pick up the slack.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
As a Heart fan I'm fine with the name change, but glad they're not going baby blue. And the old red and white that prompted me to join will be used for away matches. And yeah, DV. Good times.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Yeah, I am down with this. Pretty good home strip but the away strip is still my favourite in the comp.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
I really wish City had just actively trolled the AFL and gone for black and white stripes. It would have been interesting to see if Eddie melted down or ditched his principles to try and buddy up to them and extract some of them sweet sweet petro-dirhams.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
That would have been amazing.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

This is only vaguely World Cup related, but I've signed up for a futsal World Cup tournament on Sunday, and if any other Melbourne based posters want to play some futsal and pretend to be Libyan for a day you're more than welcome to come and get pumped for the World Cup with me, NinjaSteve and dive in two footed on actual Libyans for an afternoon.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Bogan Krkic posted:

This is only vaguely World Cup related, but I've signed up for a futsal World Cup tournament on Sunday, and if any other Melbourne based posters want to play some futsal and pretend to be Libyan for a day you're more than welcome to come and get pumped for the World Cup with me, NinjaSteve and dive in two footed on actual Libyans for an afternoon.
Haha that sounds awesome. Where is it?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Shmoses posted:

Haha that sounds awesome. Where is it?

It's in the eastern suburbs at Eastern Indoor, and we'll be playing from midday onwards. If you're interested send me an email at underscore.dot.slash at gmail for deets

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Bogan Krkic posted:

It's in the eastern suburbs at Eastern Indoor, and we'll be playing from midday onwards. If you're interested send me an email at underscore.dot.slash at gmail for deets

Sounds pretty tits, any other time and I'd be all over it. Luckily for you I'm poo poo at indoor

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Australia looked decent against Croatia until the final ball which went to complete poo poo. Can really tell all our real striking options aren't there.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Periodic reminder that the Socceroo's will probably not win the world cup, but I will love them like a mama bird anyway.

May we all be soothed by Robbie Slater's dulcet tones and may he never forget that he spent the 90s looking like this:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Tongues posted:

Periodic reminder that the Socceroo's will probably not win the world cup, but I will love them like a mama bird anyway.

May we all be soothed by Robbie Slater's dulcet tones and may he never forget that he spent the 90s looking like this:

I love that kit on the left so much

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I'm going to set my alarm for 2am every morning and watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTxfGvT1nTM

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
This is amazing - but its even more amazing how close we came to sending drat near the exact drat squad for the third go on the trot.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

got up at 5am this morning and plan to the rest of the week. im training hard for the cup.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bogan Krkic posted:

I love that kit on the left so much

I love most 90's kits and want them to come back

Applecross WC.
Sep 13, 2004
Reverence and Disregard
This flew over Melbourne this morning. A giant Christ the redeemer in a Socceroos top. We have this one in the bag fellas.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

its official now then. we're going win it guys,

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
I can see why it would be in the interest of a sports betting company for its customers to have faith in the Australian team

Applecross WC.
Sep 13, 2004
Reverence and Disregard

Haters Objector posted:

I can see why it would be in the interest of a sports betting company for its customers to have faith in the Australian team

If Australia score a goal you get your back even if they lose the match. First game should be a comfortable 2 goal win for Aus though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
I'm sure a couple of you guys would have seen this, but if you haven't - prepare for a serious earworming. Melbourne band Vaudeville Smash has teamed up with Les "TISM don't know my nationality but my background is Hungarian" Murray to create an anthem talking about how good Zuzu is. Check that poo poo!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrOLGifnMJk

• Locked thread