Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Does anyone know where to track down the blue Nike Swedish Olympic jerseys from this year's Olympics? Neither Ice Jerseys nor NHL.com carry it. I found a version of it on the Swedish Ice Hockey Federation's site, but it looks like it is made out of the same weird material as my HV71 jersey and I'd like something that I could actually play in. Is there anywhere else where I could track down the Nike version of that jersey? I am looking for either a XXL or goalie cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Something like this?

http://www.hockeyjerseysdirect.com/hjd/k1-intas.asp

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

I'm looking for a crested jersey. I did nearly use K1 Swedish jerseys for one of my teams. I already have a yellow Swedish jersey from a couple years ago and just want to get one of the new blue ones to go with my leg pads.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Well, this was a game:
http://stats.rv.zev.net/oss-scoresheet.php?game_id=14008

It was by far the longest game I've ever played, minus the time or 2 we've had to wait for paramedics.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 7, 2014

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.
Pro shop is having a sale. Most stuff only 10% off but managed to get some pants and shoulder pads for less than American prices! I've read here you guys don't really wear shoulder pads(?) But for learners (at least) here its required. Pretty happy with that.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

xryokus posted:

Pro shop is having a sale. Most stuff only 10% off but managed to get some pants and shoulder pads for less than American prices! I've read here you guys don't really wear shoulder pads(?) But for learners (at least) here its required. Pretty happy with that.

I've played maybe 4 games without shoulder pads. I don't like it, I get cold. Also in my case I'm already wearing a sports bra so it's not like my upper half is otherwise unrestricted.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wear shoulders in games because the refs have been pretty nitpicky about "proper protective equipment" but I ditch them whenever I can.. the extra breeze feels nice.

Will probably regret that one day, but it hasn't happened yet.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I wear shoulders because I've skated with too many mans who've dislocated their shoulders from banging the glass and whanot. Also, I hate going to the gym, and wearing shoulders is like getting extra exercise.

These are like the Bauer über-lightweight foam and plastic cups shoulders, though.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 8, 2014

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I wear shoulder pads because I've had some experience with rotator cuff / shoulder separation type injuries and too many other freak sport injuries to risk combining the two. Shoulders are like the knee of the upper body - when you hurt them, it's like that entire quarter of your body becomes useless, and they take a long time to heal completely. No thank you. And I don't really notice any hindrance in terms of restricting my range of motion, and that's coming from roller where I didn't wear shoulder pads (and mine are definitely toward the upper end of the protective spectrum).

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I wear shoulders because I've come to accept that I'm not an agile spider monkey, and I sure as poo poo do not trust anyone else on the ice to not:

1) Accidentally run me into the boards
2) Accidentally take a head-hunting slapshot when I'm 7 feet in front of them
3) Accidentally slash my back trying to stop a breakaway
4) Accidentally step on my chest should I fall down in front of them

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.
Well I'm glad that clears that up!

Pretty excited at the moment, I'm enrolled in the Fast Track to Ice Hockey course which starts on the 26th of July. I have an ice hockey clinic on Saturdays and a learn to skate on Sundays. Took advantage of the sales and got the rest of the gear this morning. It's gonna be interesting the first time I try to skate with all that stuff on!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

only tryhards wear shoulder pads

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Gio posted:

I thought that was the cup. drat it, I've been doing it wrong all this time.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I wear shoulder pads because every once in a while someone will be skating at me to attempt to play the puck or make a defensive play and we will both choose the wrong direction while trying to avoid each other which results in a collision which may as well be a body check. I'd rather not take that without the pads. Also getting hit with shots, losing an edge and wiping out into the boards/goal post etc.

I am a tryhard

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Gio posted:

What's ironic about this, or the joke, is that in the ice leagues I play in, only the tryhards are the ones who don't wear shoulder pads.

love on the cheap
Aug 5, 2008
I played my first ever ice hockey games yesterday, after about 2 hours of trying to learn how to stop / general positioning lessons from our team leader. She's basically the best person ever and was super patient with me.

Our summer league has only 3 teams so we had a doubleheader about an hour after the practice. I can't even remember the amount of times I fell down but it was so, so much fun. Our team is so chill and helpful it kind of took me by surprise at first. Really wish I had the money for this when I was younger. I can't wait to get better at skating because I usually know the area I should be in, but can't skate well enough to get to that place in time haha.

We won both games (woohoo!) and I got one goal and a few assists! And just like the rest of you I can't wait to do it all over again next week.

Bonus jersey pic: fate gave me #3!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I bought more protective shoulder pads because that's just the smart thing to do if you've already separated your shoulder from hitting the boards.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

Deadly Intersection posted:

Bonus jersey pic: fate gave me #3!

Nice. Our league just buys practice jerseys in bulk, whatever color they can get their hands on, that looks a bit nicer. 3 is my lucky number, too!

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Pleads posted:

:lol: In trying to reschedule some of our ball-hockey games after the soccer centre we play in was used for evacuees from some northern forest fires, they scheduled 5 nights of games from the 8th through 12th. I will miss them since I am moving out of province on the 8th. Guignol please post a trip report of your slow decay into nothingness.

e: And a running tally of turnovers wafted into the slot.

My Slow Decay Into Nothingness - Day One
Day one saw us play a douchey team of tryhards in a poorly-officiated game that ended 2-1 in the shootout. Highlights include:
-A hand pass that was called as a high stick, because "part of the stick was above the shoulder" when the player hit it with his empty palm. Kids at home, can you tell me what the issue with this ruling is?
-Diving by one opposing douche (the current league leader in penalties) who'd take running leaps into the boards whenever someone came up behind him. This worked about 75% of the time, because the refs were scared to come near the benches where it was happening because of how much we were yelling
-Me missile-kicking the ball into the corner on an attempted shotblock that was actually pretty cool
-A reenactment of that Philly-Tampa series where they wouldn't forecheck so the defenceman just stood still with the puck for ten seconds. Defenceman was me, and I was very confused. Uhhh, who plays the trap in E league ball hockey?
-Goaltender anger!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turnovers wafted into the slot: 0, because I am snakebitten and won't pass in front of our goaltender anymore

love on the cheap
Aug 5, 2008

Brettbot posted:

Nice. Our league just buys practice jerseys in bulk, whatever color they can get their hands on, that looks a bit nicer. 3 is my lucky number, too!

Sweet! Yeah our team leader is going into graphic design and made the logo in a few hours. I'm pretty pumped about it.

Now that I'm in jerseychat mode, I wore my KTH jersey to a pickup game yesterday which was dope. #33

love on the cheap fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 10, 2014

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.
On the topic of jerseys, I only own one and it's my 2011 Stanley Cup Champions Tim Thomas jersey. If I play in it, remembering I'm learning, am I likely to damage it? Should I get something cheaper to wear?

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Hockey is very hard on jerseys. You will sweat in it, slide around on the ice on it, crash into things, etc. After 10-15 games or so it will look old. All the stitched stuff will be fraying. Seriously get a practice jersey for like $20. You can also go on ebay and get traitor jerseys (like Gaborik's Rangers jersey) for less than that.

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.

Blackjack2000 posted:

Hockey is very hard on jerseys. You will sweat in it, slide around on the ice on it, crash into things, etc. After 10-15 games or so it will look old. All the stitched stuff will be fraying. Seriously get a practice jersey for like $20. You can also go on ebay and get traitor jerseys (like Gaborik's Rangers jersey) for less than that.

Thanks, I'll see if I can order some from the states.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

xryokus posted:

On the topic of jerseys, I only own one and it's my 2011 Stanley Cup Champions Tim Thomas jersey. If I play in it, remembering I'm learning, am I likely to damage it? Should I get something cheaper to wear?
Yeah, get a cheapo one. You can probably get one for like 20 bucks at a pro shop.

edit: beaten

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.

shyduck posted:

Yeah, get a cheapo one. You can probably get one for like 20 bucks at a pro shop.

edit: beaten

Haha, you guys can get them for 20 bucks. Everything is borderline extortion for me.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Not NHL jerseys, they mean solid color lightweight mesh jerseys.

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.

Chemmy posted:

Not NHL jerseys, they mean solid color lightweight mesh jerseys.

Yeah I know. Looks like I'll be paying approximately $60AUD or $55USD.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jerseys hold up well in play, it's the washing that kills them. Wears off any crests or silk screening after a while. Most of mine still look pretty good after ~2 years of use but they are showing wear.

I think the issue with wearing an official NHL jersey would be it's too small to be comfortable once you pull it over pads, unless you bought it super huge.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i have a giant brown stain on my white jersey and i dont know what it is, thought i'd let you guys know

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Served as a sub in a johnnies c2 league. Played d all night (lefty on the left which I'm not comfortable with)

I broke my s19 on my first shot in the warm ups. Completely shattered in half. Rest in peaston.

Either way it felt good to play again. Could have sharpened my skates though as the ice was soft and my skates dull. I got two great shots on net one of which tagged sometimes calf.

Something weird happened as I was standing to the side of our net. Puck went by my feet. I stand still. Opponent curls right into me with his head down. I'm 5'10 and 160. He was about 6'2 and 200. He lost bad. Helmet to helmet contact. He fell back hard, stick went flying and his helmet popped off. He literally ran into me and lost. I helped him up as he seemed confused. He says to me "how did you hit me that hard? "

I immediately looked around expecting someone to think I tried to lay him out and seeing retribution. Their bench wanted a penalty. The ref says to their captain "you want me to penalize a 150 pound guy for standing still and putting a 200 pounder on his rear end? He needs to keep his head up"

We won 4-1. The d pairing on the last minute gave up a shutout in the last 30 seconds.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

xryokus posted:

Yeah I know. Looks like I'll be paying approximately $60AUD or $55USD.

Go to a field hockey shop and buy a goalie smock.

They're the same mesh like material but hopefully you'll be able to pay less than $30AUD for it.

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.

Zip! posted:

Go to a field hockey shop and buy a goalie smock.

They're the same mesh like material but hopefully you'll be able to pay less than $30AUD for it.

Smart thinking! Thanks for the tip :)

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

What size are you? I can probably mail you a box of old practice jerseys for that price.

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.

Chemmy posted:

What size are you? I can probably mail you a box of old practice jerseys for that price.

Thanks for the offer, looks like the goalie shirts are about the same price.

I'll be going into the pro-shop on Sunday so I'll check out their prices and see if the sale makes it less painful.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
The center I play at is doing stick and puck on M/W/F at times when people who work day jobs could actually attempt to go. At least for the month.

I'm taking advantage of the Wednesdays as much as I can. If I didn't have stuff going on Fridays I'd try to make one of the two.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Started a new clinic season last night. Word is we are going to have "NHL guy(s)" guest coach a session or two. It will probably be someone with local connections, so I am automatically assuming Chris Nilan

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
It's usually some guy you've never heard of who played one or two games after Uni and never made it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

What's harder than hockey is not playing for over a month. Crawling out of my skin here.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

Doctor Butts posted:

What's harder than hockey is not playing for over a month. Crawling out of my skin here.

So glad I found a stick & puck near my house. I missed my game last week because of work, I'm missing next week for the same reason, and then the rink is taking their ice out for two weeks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even going down to two skates a week for the past month has felt weird, a four day break feels too long and I start to regress on things I've been learning.

I wonder how much faster I'd learn poo poo if I got ice time every day, keeping a steady rhythm going really seems to help with momentum.