Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I'm thinking of this, I stopped playing WoW ages ago but feel like I missed playing a rogue which seemed fun. Is the Stalker like the Rogue in that you can stealth around forever?

Any other easy class comparison for WoW or something else? I always liked classes that could solo silly amounts of things, like early unholy DKs just spreading disease everywhere, or burning crusade warlocks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Count Bleck posted:

I can't play a character for more than a day because I can't figure out which race I even like.

Exiles have nothing I care for and yet my friends are on it, Dominion has cool dudes like Draken and Mechari that I can't get behind because their class combos make me feel weird.

I don't want to play a tall robot stealth duder.

Also the problem with living in North America and being on a European server is now becoming apparent.

And this is all on my guest pass account and :aaaaa:

What do I do?!

I live in Europe and play on NA and haven`t had much trouble. WTFast helps a little.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Soothing Vapors posted:

Soothe (mobile charge thing) and Bolster (not spammable)

Spellslingers are infinitely more mobile.

Speaking of, I was watching a stream of people doing veteran dungeons. There was a boss that was constantly moving with twisters and poo poo everywhere that required constant movement and more than one hit of anything would kill a dps. How the gently caress do espers even exist in this game? It seems like any mechanic that requires you to stand still with their game design is, well, retarded.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

Oddity posted:

As far as I can tell, there are no race-specific bonuses, unlike in WoW. Completely cosmetic, it does affect your starting area though, and the classes available to you. But that's it I think.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, onto my issue!

Just a quick question about what I should upgrade on my computer to make Wildstar run smoother. The main issues I have is that I have to have the settings down real low to run at a comfortable level, and even then I get these laggy moments, where it slows down for 1-2 seconds.

My friend built this for me, so some of the things I know the specs of, some I just have general info.

CPU: Intel i7 960
GPU: NVIDIA GeGorce GTX 560 Ti x2 (SLI)
RAM: 4gb Crucial PC3-10700
MOBO: EVGA X58 SLI FTW3
SSD: 64gb Intel
HDD: 1tb (dunno manufacturer)

Off the top of my head, I'd say the RAM is the first thing to upgrade - 4gb is bare minimum, right? The 2 GPU's provide 2gb, and I get 4 from the stick in there. Would going up to 16gb be retarded or could I actually utilize that much? If not I'd just do 8gb.

Would these be decent 8g buys?

Same for buying 2 sets of those if I want 16. My motherboard has room for 6 sticks, so I could do that, right?

And last question - it's not good to mix different types of memory, so I should probably just pick up a new set and take the old one out, right?

Thanks for anybody who takes the time to answer, I'm pretty dense when it comes to this.

I'd say ram. Everything else looks fine to me. I'm running one 560 and my fiancee is running a 460 and they both are running well. Turn off shadows and you probably will get much better performance.

You can mix memory, but it's not a good idea. Some memory is sold as a "kit" and they need to be in specific spots and memory can have different latency and speed. Most of the time if your Mobo sees memory of different speeds, it defaults to the slowest. Memory is so cheap just buy the most you can to go in your computer and use that other memory for an HTPC or sell it. By the next time you'll want to upgrade your memory again it will probably be DDR9 or something else that will require a new motherboard anyways. I'm running 16 gigs now and I want 32 (I use a lot of memory for work test machine VMs... also because I can).

Edit:

Don't order from Newegg. They have a terrible return policy. This is what I have in my PC: Amazon Link.

I looked up your motherboard and here's info you should know about when looking for memory:

Your motherboard can take the following

Triple channel: Some memory is sold as a kit where they work together. You dont have to get it, but you can support it.
DDR3: The memory generation your motherboard supports. You cant put in DDR2 or future DDR9 (whatever the new generation will be named)
Speed: 1600 mhz. There's a lot that goes into memory performance. The timings, the frequency, the channels... I won't pretend I know what's the best. Last I looked there were arguments as to whether 1600 mhz really could outperform 1333 mhz memory. Who knows. I got 1333 and I see no problems.

mrbass21 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 7, 2014

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010

Oddity posted:

As far as I can tell, there are no race-specific bonuses, unlike in WoW. Completely cosmetic, it does affect your starting area though, and the classes available to you. But that's it I think.

Starting areas are only really affected by fations, when you reach the split between the two starting areas you can do either one.

Adding to the guy above, I'm pretty sure RAM is your only issue, everything else should be able to run the game very well unless SLI support is poor at the moment. Also, if you downloaded a bunch of addons you could check those out; I was using Bijiplates(sp?) a few days ago and it was causing memory leaks so I had to remove it.

e: very few addons should cause performance issues, Biji is the only one I knew of that was popular

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."

mrbass21 posted:

I'd say ram. Everything else looks fine to me. I'm running one 560 and my fiancee is running a 460 and they both are running well. Turn off shadows and you probably will get much better performance.

You can mix memory, but it's not a good idea. Some memory is sold as a "kit" and they need to be in specific spots and memory can have different latency and speed. Most of the time if your Mobo sees memory of different speeds, it defaults to the slowest. Memory is so cheap just buy the most you can to go in your computer and use that other memory for an HTPC or sell it. By the next time you'll want to upgrade your memory again it will probably be DDR9 or something else that will require a new motherboard anyways. I'm running 16 gigs now and I want 32 (I use a lot of memory for work test machine VMs... also because I can).

If you are running the same GPU (single) and having better performance than me, than most assuredly more RAM would be the way to go!

The 8gb RAM I linked, would I be ok getting multiple sets of that? like I said my MOBO has 6 slots.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A guy named DaMoose on Evindra has a pretty cool plot setup. It's made to look like a back alley in a city.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Oddity posted:

Off the top of my head, I'd say the RAM is the first thing to upgrade - 4gb is bare minimum, right? The 2 GPU's provide 2gb, and I get 4 from the stick in there. Would going up to 16gb be retarded or could I actually utilize that much? If not I'd just do 8gb.

Would these be decent 8g buys?

Same for buying 2 sets of those if I want 16. My motherboard has room for 6 sticks, so I could do that, right?

And last question - it's not good to mix different types of memory, so I should probably just pick up a new set and take the old one out, right?

Thanks for anybody who takes the time to answer, I'm pretty dense when it comes to this.

Have you tried one video card only?

teacup posted:

I'm thinking of this, I stopped playing WoW ages ago but feel like I missed playing a rogue which seemed fun. Is the Stalker like the Rogue in that you can stealth around forever?

Yes, they can stealth around forever. They are like a WoW rogue like that but just 10x more mobile with their dashes and jumping around. Can also restealth in combat if needed. Oh yeah and they can also TANK.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/CRB_Non/status/475113221116801025 holy poo poo :lol:

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Search is down and I can't find the mumble information. Can someone show me the thread?

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Someone also left a sandwich in a plastic container there, presumably from lunch.

It was also signed.

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."

PaganGoatPants posted:

Have you tried one video card only?

I wouldn't even know how to do that. I am not a smart man.

edit: Is there a ceiling in plots, and if so is it pretty high? Somebody in the goon Rift guild made a pretty ridiculous guild house, but part of the effect was how tall it was.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

Oddity posted:

edit: Is there a ceiling in plots, and if so is it pretty high? Somebody in the goon Rift guild made a pretty ridiculous guild house, but part of the effect was how tall it was.

Be sure and read my edit to my post. Don't buy Newegg. A buddy got burned by their terrible return policy.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Oddity posted:

Just yank one out, nothing can go wrong...probably.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
Malgrave trail is cool but hard on Veteran.

all our dudes are dying :(

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Cyster posted:

Someone also left a sandwich in a plastic container there, presumably from lunch.

It was also signed.

The sandwich or the container?

Or both?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Well, about ten minutes with Spellslinger and I like this a lot more than Esper and Medic. Should have just tried it I guess! :v:

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

Thanks for mentioning about Wildstar possibly not supporting SLI. I checked, and my drivers were pretty out of date- the new drivers that I'm downloading now explicitly state that they included a SLI profile for Wildstar. Everything I'm reading shows huge gains. We'll see! I still want to get some RAM too.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
How are people deciding on what AMPs and abilities to go for? Just experimenting? I'm an MMO newbie and feel really lost with picking the ideal stuff for my Warrior Tank.

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

So far the driver update improved my FPS/stuttering issues IMMENSELY. I don't know if it was just the SLI support or just optimization in general (my drivers were pretty old), but I'm getting way better FPS now, and so far no stuttering.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
behold the clownsuit

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Aphrodite posted:

A guy named DaMoose on Evindra has a pretty cool plot setup. It's made to look like a back alley in a city.

This is cool. Is he a goon? I have a 14 exile toon on evindra and will need new housing footage soon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

a cock shaped fruit posted:

This is cool. Is he a goon? I have a 14 exile toon on evindra and will need new housing footage soon.

Nope, just someone people were talking about in the zone chat.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Doctor Albatross posted:

How are people deciding on what AMPs and abilities to go for? Just experimenting? I'm an MMO newbie and feel really lost with picking the ideal stuff for my Warrior Tank.

Just feel it out and experiment with skills as you unlock them. The only way to get a sense of what is "effective" for you is to see how well you use the abilities optimally.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Just got to 20/21 and ran through the Stormtalon dungeon. Really liking how bosses are designed; they punish idiots/people not paying attention super hard and generally require constant movement. Pretty fun despite our tank dying over and over.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
The op mentions that some great gear comes from crafting, is this simply armour or is it also weaponsmithing? The consumable tradeskill looks cool but don't want To gimp myself

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Are there any costume vendors in illium? If yes, where?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Bah. I am level 8 on my Engineer but I got the altitis bad; I want to give Esper another fair shake, or maybe warrior, or try out Medic, Stalker, or Spellslinger a fair shake.

For now, though, Esper.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh man Spellslinger is so much fun in that battleground. :swoon:

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I haven't seen nearly enough pillow forts in goon houses. You guys really need to get on that. :colbert:

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias
Wsgoons will be fucky for tonight/tomorrow for some. Be sure to flush your DNS etc.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

What level do you finally get to one of the main cities? 15 or so?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Virigoth posted:

What level do you finally get to one of the main cities? 15 or so?

14 is when you get the quest.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Man I was mostly joking earlier about entertaining the idea of Lopp = Eldan, but I've gotta say, it's really sticking to me

Like, the Lopp are just conveniently everywhere. They show up even more commonly than Protostar. Their quests aren't (always) gimmicky, either -- in Wilderrun, the Lopp quest series is pretty relevant to the state of the planet Nexus.

Most importantly, the only way to gain Rep with the Lopp is by giving them shinies, whereas any other faction will give you Rep just for completing their quests. Lopp don't care about you. They only care about shinies. And why is that..?

...Ancient Eldan artifact shinies.

They're totally using us to rebuild their Eldan society!!!

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Has anyone found anything like an Outfitter/GearSwapper addon yet?

Or even any kind of elegant inventory management solution?

That's my biggest time suck right now is trying to plow my way through my bags and find my gear for my two specs and check for upgrades and crap.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Libertine posted:

Has anyone found anything like an Outfitter/GearSwapper addon yet?

Or even any kind of elegant inventory management solution?

That's my biggest time suck right now is trying to plow my way through my bags and find my gear for my two specs and check for upgrades and crap.

... Don't people keep saying that the majority of their Assault/Support power comes from their weapon? Why not simply have one set of gear for whatever non-DPS role your class has, then carry a DPS weapon and a role weapon. Then you only have to swap out one item and tada you're set.

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

A small bug I noticed: If you equip "+Max Shield" gear, and then remove it, you keep the higher max shield amount. So theoretically you could build a Max Shield set, and swap out of it right before a pull. Only helps at the beginning, but if you tell me people haven't done worse for a small advantage I'd call you a bald faced liar.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Little bit off topic, I suppose, but the game's chugging framerate-wise is bugging me. Is there any real way to tell what hardware in my system might be the biggest bottleneck for this thing, besides sheer trial and error and/or blatant guessing? (Assuming it's not the game itself needing optimizing--which it might very well be, but I'm bored enough to try anyway.)

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Damiya posted:

behold the clownsuit

They better have cheesy 70s disco music as one of the house music options.

Or a DJ machine or jukebox in general where you can buy new albums or something.

Also - is it just me or is the mumble server down? If so, what are we using now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
I just participated in an impromptu Karaoke.

This game. :allears:

• Locked thread