Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dr. VooDoo posted:

685 coins in Club Nintendo and nothing to drop them on :smith: I wish we got the cool poo poo the Japan Club Nintendo gets
Don't worry, the Platinum rewards will probably be announced soon and I'm sure they'll be the same virtual console offers as last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Famous TV Dad posted:

It really is a feature unique to water based racing games that really differentiates them. Unfortunately no one makes those anymore.
I think there was a mobile game that had it :effort:

(Before anyone mentions Sonic, the water surface was fluid but iirc wasn't dynamic or simulated)

Edit-vvvvv yeah wasn't sure of the word usage but that's what I meant. It was like a scripted moving surface but didn't react to racers and stuff.

japtor fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 7, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

japtor posted:

I think there was a mobile game that had it :effort:

(Before anyone mentions Sonic, the water surface was fluid but iirc wasn't dynamic or simulated)

Sonic Transformed WAS dynamic, or at least "cycled". I dunno if player actions affected it, but there were waves and poo poo.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Wii U is doing just fine in the water department

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I bet that guy went wild over MK8.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

axleblaze posted:

I think it's a rumor based on this latest "leak"

Which is accurate would be the most underwhelming E3 ever. I'm kind of doubting it though because it doesn't include that Mario Maker thing that's in that much more believable booth image (unless Mario Maker is park of "Nintendo U").

Has there EVER been one of these loving lists that has been in any way accurate?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Wii U Discussion - Yes, it has nice water

Nice.

poo poo, I'd love to see a Mario Sunshine HD remake or sequel. The first New Year's Eve I spent with my wife we got hammered on cheap champagne and took turns playing it. :3:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

axleblaze posted:

I think it's a rumor based on this latest "leak"

Hahah "XenoMech Saga". Yeah, I don't think so, Tim.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Everyone knows X is going to be called Xenobots.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Fei Fong Wong, Shut Up and Jam! Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the XenoMech SaGa

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I'd appreciate an HD remake of Sunshine if only so I could finally play it. I owned/played most of the big stuff on Gamecube, but just...never got around to Sunshine for some reason. I even borrowed it once from a friend in college who insisted I had to try it out, but I ended up getting super busy and just giving it back to him.

Opinions on it seem pretty divided, but I'd like to see for myself, even though it's very much after the fact.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

RumbleFish posted:

I'd appreciate an HD remake of Sunshine if only so I could finally play it. I owned/played most of the big stuff on Gamecube, but just...never got around to Sunshine for some reason. I even borrowed it once from a friend in college who insisted I had to try it out, but I ended up getting super busy and just giving it back to him.

Opinions on it seem pretty divided, but I'd like to see for myself, even though it's very much after the fact.

If you don't care about 100% it's a fine game, as has been said it's biggest problem are the blue coins which are entirely possible to ignore completely if you just want to see the end credits.

BingeHooligan
Dec 24, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

Everyone knows X is going to be called Xenobots.

Nah, Xenomorphs.

Fake Edit: holy poo poo the new title ahahaha

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

njsykora posted:

If you don't care about 100% it's a fine game, as has been said it's biggest problem are the blue coins which are entirely possible to ignore completely if you just want to see the end credits.

I've kind of wanted to LP Sunshine over in the LP forum, if only to show off some of the loving crazy blue coins in that game. Like, holy poo poo.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
Sunshine is definitely worth playing, but yeah everyone's right about the blue coins. Though like people have mentioned it's something that could be handled better in an HD remake, but who can say whether Nintendo's going to do that or not?

Sorry to interject, but ordered a refurbished Wii U + Wii Remote Plus thanks to this thread and the Super Mario 3D World LP thread. I understand I'm going to want to pick up a charging cradle from GameStop for $6. I found ZombieU online for $15 (+$5 shipping), which seems like good deal. The best price I can find on a Pro Controller is $40 from Toys R Us, though there are third party ones for less but I think I'd like to get the real one. Has anyone seen a better price for a Pro Controller?

Going to buy Mario Kart 8 (Pikmin 3 for the free game) and 3D World at whatever price local shops have them, unless there's some sale going on I'm not aware of (Target used to have 3D World for $40 but it looks like that's no longer the case).

All and all that's the system, couple of controllers and 5 games for ~$400. Am I making out okay here or are there deals going on I should be looking out for?

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

CatsPajamas posted:

I found ZombieU online for $15 (+$5 shipping)
Amazon has it for 13.39$ Prime eligible http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00897Z27C/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2CPCK7Q8JTEOS

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Has there EVER been one of these loving lists that has been in any way accurate?

No. And when this list was posted days ago for the first time plenty of people pointed out how fake it was.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hmmm... I'm torn. I have enough coins on Club Nintendo for a free game and I wanna get more stuff for my new Wii U, but I dunno if I should go for Super Metroid now or wait a few days to see what'll be in stock then. Also, when does the Club Nintendo year end? I wanna know how much time I have left to get platinum.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Hmmm... I'm torn. I have enough coins on Club Nintendo for a free game and I wanna get more stuff for my new Wii U, but I dunno if I should go for Super Metroid now or wait a few days to see what'll be in stock then. Also, when does the Club Nintendo year end? I wanna know how much time I have left to get platinum.

End of June is the rollover date.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Random Stranger posted:

No. And when this list was posted days ago for the first time plenty of people pointed out how fake it was.

I like how the version posted in this thread has been cropped a bit so it's not obvious that the photo was taken in front of someone's bed.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

CatsPajamas posted:

Sorry to interject, but ordered a refurbished Wii U + Wii Remote Plus thanks to this thread and the Super Mario 3D World LP thread. I understand I'm going to want to pick up a charging cradle from GameStop for $6. I found ZombieU online for $15 (+$5 shipping), which seems like good deal. The best price I can find on a Pro Controller is $40 from Toys R Us, though there are third party ones for less but I think I'd like to get the real one. Has anyone seen a better price for a Pro Controller?

Going to buy Mario Kart 8 (Pikmin 3 for the free game) and 3D World at whatever price local shops have them, unless there's some sale going on I'm not aware of (Target used to have 3D World for $40 but it looks like that's no longer the case).

All and all that's the system, couple of controllers and 5 games for ~$400. Am I making out okay here or are there deals going on I should be looking out for?
From 6/8-6/14 at Target if you buy a preorder card for any of the qualifying games(Destiny, Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, Skylanders Trap Team, Assassin's Creed Unity, Madden 15, Super Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U) for $1 you get $15 off any game that is $39.99 or more. Zombi U is cheaper on Amazon as decoy octopus said. There was a time months ago when Best Buy was selling pro controllers for $25 and it was cool but aside from that the current $40 sale is as cheap as I've seen them in a long time. Make sure you buy them from reputable sources(Amazon, Toys R Us, Best Buy, etc) because there are counterfeit Chinese versions that are cheaper but they completely suck. If you want a steering wheel for Mario Kart 8 you get one free if you buy the game at Target(tomorrow is the last day of that deal). If you live near a Toys R Us, Kmart or Walmart you should check to see what they have, some people have found Wonderful 101 for $12(TRU) and other random clearance Wii U deals at stores.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I really love Metroid Prime a whole lot, but the Chozo Ruins are really bland and uninteresting to look at, as are most desert ruins in video games.

Some of the indoor areas were real cool looking imo, and there were those halls with sunlight pouring in and cool water pipes on the walls.

But then you saw the exact same hall over and over :(. At least it was good level-design wise.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

deafmute posted:

From 6/8-6/14 at Target if you buy a preorder card for any of the qualifying games(Destiny, Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, Skylanders Trap Team, Assassin's Creed Unity, Madden 15, Super Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U) for $1 you get $15 off any game that is $39.99 or more. Zombi U is cheaper on Amazon as decoy octopus said. There was a time months ago when Best Buy was selling pro controllers for $25 and it was cool but aside from that the current $40 sale is as cheap as I've seen them in a long time. Make sure you buy them from reputable sources(Amazon, Toys R Us, Best Buy, etc) because there are counterfeit Chinese versions that are cheaper but they completely suck. If you want a steering wheel for Mario Kart 8 you get one free if you buy the game at Target(tomorrow is the last day of that deal). If you live near a Toys R Us, Kmart or Walmart you should check to see what they have, some people have found Wonderful 101 for $12(TRU) and other random clearance Wii U deals at stores.

You guys are both awesome! I'll definitely take advantage of the Target preorder deal for Smash Bros. if it's just a straight $15 off MK8 or 3D World. I'll look around this weekend to see if there are any good prices nearby ($12 for Wonderful 101 would be great).

Otherwise, thanks a lot for mentioning the Amazon price decoy octopus! If I can't find them cheaper, I'll probably get ZombieU and Wonderful 101 on Amazon for $37 and Free Shipping.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Random Stranger posted:

I think I'm the person most down on it and my feeling is just "Not quite as good as the Galaxy series". I don't think I've ever heard a harsh word about it.

I felt this way until I got to the end of the game and replayed all of the levels to collect the green stars. After playing each level several times in a row I began to understand how well crafted 3d World actually is. The spectacular level design is what sets 3d World apart from all of the other games for me. None of the green stars were super frustrating either compared to some of the maddening precision required in Galaxy 2.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'd love to see a Super Mario Sunshine HD remake, because I never played the original, because I never owned a Gamecube. Now a third of this thread hates me.

Part of me kind of scoffs at Nintendo, because they already rehash enough poo poo (see: a majority of Nintendo IPs) but at least they're choosing great games to remaster.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

This is dumb and all, but how do I download the Filsamech Mii onto my Wii U?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

MykonosFan posted:

This is dumb and all, but how do I download the Filsamech Mii onto my Wii U?

Go to the WaraWara Plaza (the big Mii convention-looking thing on the Wii U Menu) and look for a highlighted Mii in the center crowd. Tap it and it'll give you an option to download the Mii into the Mii Maker.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

DoctorWhat posted:

Go to the WaraWara Plaza (the big Mii convention-looking thing on the Wii U Menu) and look for a highlighted Mii in the center crowd. Tap it and it'll give you an option to download the Mii into the Mii Maker.

Thanks! Had to log in with a different Wii U user for him to show up but got him.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

MykonosFan posted:

Thanks! Had to log in with a different Wii U user for him to show up but got him.

Yeah, same here. Only special person hanging around my plaza was Miyamoto who'd run from one side of the screen to the other, hang out, then run back again. Logged onto the kid's profile and there was Filsamech and some grandma looking notification lady but you can't save her mii.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Game & Wario is pretty cool guys

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

enojy posted:

I'd love to see a Super Mario Sunshine HD remake, because I never played the original, because I never owned a Gamecube. Now a third of this thread hates me.

Part of me kind of scoffs at Nintendo, because they already rehash enough poo poo (see: a majority of Nintendo IPs) but at least they're choosing great games to remaster.

Why not remake a legitimately great game if one is going to go through the effort of making a remake?

How about Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii-U? The original was an unbelievably beautiful game considering it was running on a souped up gamecube. Imagine how it would look with hardware a full generation more powerful. Sensory overload :pcgaming:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Super Mario Universe :haw:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Mr Interweb posted:

Why not remake a legitimately great game if one is going to go through the effort of making a remake?

How about Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii-U? The original was an unbelievably beautiful game considering it was running on a souped up gamecube. Imagine how it would look with hardware a full generation more powerful. Sensory overload :pcgaming:

SMG doesn't need to be remade, its graphics are fine and it can be played on the Wii U as-is because of backwards compatibility. You are essentially asking Nintendo to waste its time.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cliff Racer posted:

SMG doesn't need to be remade, its graphics are fine and it can be played on the Wii U as-is because of backwards compatibility. You are essentially asking Nintendo to waste its time.

Shadow of the Colossus/Jak and Daxter/God of War/Beyond Good and Evil/Devil May Cry/Dragon Ball Z Budokai/Hitman/Killzone/Kingdom Hearts/Medal of Honor/Metal Gear Solid/Prince of Persia/Okami/Ratchet and Clank/Resident Evil/Silent Hill/Sly Cooper/Tomb Raider/Tony Hawk/Zone of the Enders doesn't need to be remade, its graphics are fine and it can be played on the PS3 as-is because of backwards compatibility. You are essentially asking Sony/Capcom/Insomniac/Konami/Namco/Ubisoft/Sega/Square Enix/Bandai to waste its time.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Shadow of the Colossus/Jak and Daxter/God of War/Beyond Good and Evil/Devil May Cry/Dragon Ball Z Budokai/Hitman/Killzone/Kingdom Hearts/Medal of Honor/Metal Gear Solid/Prince of Persia/Okami/Ratchet and Clank/Resident Evil/Silent Hill/Sly Cooper/Tomb Raider/Tony Hawk/Zone of the Enders doesn't need to be remade, its graphics are fine and it can be played on the PS3 as-is because of backwards compatibility. You are essentially asking Sony/Capcom/Insomniac/Konami/Namco/Ubisoft/Sega/Square Enix/Bandai to waste its time.

To be fair only some early PS3s are backwards compatible. As much as I'd love to see Galaxy 1+2 HD without pointing and motion controls, I'd much rather get a Sunshine HD first.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
A lot of those were PS1 or early PS2 games and let me assure you their graphics were not "fine" by 2007 standards. Look at Mario Galaxy compared to the games of today, it would not look out of place on a sizzle reel with Nintendo's current output, HD or no. I'd rather get a Sunshine remake, I'd rather get a 64 remake. I don't need any of the Wii stuff remade except, perhaps, to rip out shoddy Wii controls and put in button presses. Hmm actually maybe we should remake Galaxy then.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Cliff Racer posted:

A lot of those were PS1 or early PS2 games and let me assure you their graphics were not "fine" by 2007 standards. Look at Mario Galaxy compared to the games of today, it would not look out of place on a sizzle reel with Nintendo's current output, HD or no. I'd rather get a Sunshine remake, I'd rather get a 64 remake. I don't need any of the Wii stuff remade except, perhaps, to rip out shoddy Wii controls and put in button presses. Hmm actually maybe we should remake Galaxy then.

Except Galaxy had great controls? :confused:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

PerrineClostermann posted:

You'd have to go out of your way at this point to find a PS3 that's specifically backwards compatible with PS2 games, and most of these collections have the advantage of giving you multiple games, new, not used, for a fairly low price. Sunshine would see a bump down in the cost that you could find a new copy for - Galaxy would see a bump up. In addition, I believe that the Wii U scales Wii games up while the PS3 did not scale PS2 games up, but I could entirely, completely wrong about that*.

*edit: I am totally wrong about that. Even still, Sunshine would see a considerably bigger improvement with an HD remake than Galaxy.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Except Galaxy had great controls? :confused:
He doesn't like the waggle.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 7, 2014

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

Do you think WW HD was better looking than the original?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Mr Interweb posted:

Do you think WW HD was better looking than the original?

No, I wasn't a fan of the "clay" art style, at least in pictures, I haven't played the remake so I can't say how it looks in motion. But apparently the sail improved game play and its not like Windwaker is playable on Wii U otherwise.

• Locked thread