Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

GMarshal posted:

So, my collection is pretty satisfactorily large right now (not as large as I'd like, but we're never getting to that point ever, and I don't play enough as is), I'm at a point where I'm looking for a couple "filler" games, the type that can be played between rounds of heavier games, ideally not too competitive and super rules light. Our current go to for that is Last Night on Earth, which is a meh game, but one of our players really likes it.

So what I'm looking for in order is:

1.) Easy rules
2.) Easyish setup
3.) Quick play time

If its a competitive game, a team aspect would be nice, but its not a deal-breaker either way. You guys usually have fantastic suggestions, so I figured I'd ask.

Edit: A kick rear end theme would be really helpful for the guy who isn't super into board games.

For 3-4(4 preferred) players, Love Letters is super easy to pickup and quick to play and there's no setup beyond, shuffle the deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played Caverna tonight after finally picking it up for about $71.50. Even after coming from Agricola, it's pretty nuts. Going to have to maybe look up a couple strategies, it's a little overwhelming at all the options, especially the huge number of furnishings you can get. Also weird coming from Agricola is the scoring, where all animals are worth the same, and even Dwarves are only worth 1 point too. It was fun though, but not the fastest - 2 people took a little over a couple hours to play, plus setup. I am genuinely curious at the chaos that 7 people would bring.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Broken Loose posted:

Without knowing the rest of your collection, Avalon is my kneejerk recommendation. What all do you have?

Space alert, Last Night on Earth, Galaxy Trucker, Dominions, Chaos in the Old World, Battlestar Galactica, Arkham Horror, Smallworld, Devastation of Indines, Diplomacy, Carcasone, Catan, and probably one or two that are slipping my mind because they don't get played enough.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Malloreon posted:

You want Las Vegas. Everyone should play Las Vegas.

It's a fast competitive dice rolling press your luck game. I have introduced it to more than 30 people and a good 30% have already bought copies for themselves and their friends. It's the perfect filler.

How does it stack up to Can't Stop?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Le Havre is pretty cool you guys.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Does anyone around here still play Heroscape? Does it qualify as a "board game" or is it closer to a tabletop wargame like Warmachine and its ilk?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Glukeose posted:

Does anyone around here still play Heroscape? Does it qualify as a "board game" or is it closer to a tabletop wargame like Warmachine and its ilk?
I'd say it's fine here. No less a board game than, like, Descent or Axis and Allies (bad examples, but whatever).

I had one of the big boxes way back when, but got rid of it before I realized the magic that a set of plastic interlocking hexagonal terrain tiles could have given me. It is, for example, absolutely perfect for making BattleTech maps. Very space-intensive ones, but still.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 7, 2014

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

bowmore posted:

Le Havre is pretty cool you guys.

There's so many bits that I like. The double-sided resources. The way that the building order gets randomized, but in a controlled way. The round cards are a bit noisy, but the modular way that they adjust to different numbers of players is kind of brilliant. And marching your cows over to the Abattoir is so much more satisfying than just cooking them in a fireplace.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'd say it's fine here. No less a board game than, like, Descent or Axis and Allies (bad examples, but whatever).

I had one of the big boxes way back when, but got rid of it before I realized the magic that a set of plastic interlocking hexagonal terrain tiles could have given me. It is, for example, absolutely perfect for making BattleTech maps. Very space-intensive ones, but still.

Several friends and I have compiled all the Heroscape poo poo we could possibly scrounge up so that we can create some really awesome boards. I've organized a campaign with them where we run themed army lists and fight for control of a wellspring. It's such a shame the game got discontinued, Amazon prices are absolutely insane for the tiles and minis.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

The timer doesn't need a house rule; it needs players willing to flip it.

It was more in comment to having someone in the group that dislikes timer limited games.

I think flipping it quick is good fun.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

For fillers I like to not have to think strategically, so I would recommend something like Geistes Blitz (the german name is better, but needs creepy pronunciation). It's a quick reaction game where a card is flipped over and you grab a wooden figure. The only trouble is that some people seem to be better than others, and experience does help a lot.
Otherwise I like Timeline, which really is a history trivia game, but done well and with a short playtime. It tends to get very uncompetitive. It is also great for non-gamers.
Finally, if you have 4+ players you might like Tsuro if you can find it cheap. It supports up to 8 players, and has everyone laying down path tiles on the same board, which their pieces must follow. The goal is for your piece to stay on the board while everyone else is off. It's very simple, and with 4+ players it's impossible to do a proper strategy.

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow
SU&SD posted a review of Warhammer: Diskwars ... and pretty much immediately retracted it. I just bought the game myself yesterday and haven't had a chance to play it yet, but thought there was something odd about their second big issue with the game... Because they weren't playing it right. I'm curious what they thought the abilities that remove Activation tokens (ie Rally) are good for if you wiped all the tokens right after one command. Also curious to see if the difference this makes to the turn structure will reduce their complaint about the random ranged attacks (Since your potential to make ranged attacks would be about 1/4 as frequent and melee units would be able to respond tactically much more easily).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Wow. They went through all that, but never thought "we miiiight have gotten a rule wrong"? Good job guys, glad to see you're not phoning any of this in at all. :downsbravo:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I kinda agree with their placeholder disclaimer - It was bound to happen eventually. They've been making videos and posting articles for years now, and while I don't always agree with them in terms of either mechanics or thematics (~*~A Few Acres~*~), I've never found them just being flat-out wrong. I don't think this is a matter of phoning something in, and more just a misunderstanding. I actually thought this was one of the stronger videos in a while in terms of mechanical diagnosis -- It was just wrong, haha.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Does anyone have any experience with Battle Beyond Space? I've got an itch for spaceship combat in addition to X-Wing, and the art looks deliciously 1960's Star Trek-esque. Eclipse also looks tempting, but the large price tag is prohibitive...

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow
If it was going to happen, it was going to happen with an FFG rulebook. I also thought it was one of their better videos in a while, shame about the confusion.

Though, when I think about it one of their favorite things about the game may also be downplayed when the rules are followed correctly - Instead of having to puzzle out how to use 2-3 units to deal with a Big Meany, you'll have ~12 to work with before the turn is resolved.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Poison Mushroom posted:

Wow. They went through all that, but never thought "we miiiight have gotten a rule wrong"? Good job guys, glad to see you're not phoning any of this in at all. :downsbravo:

Sure, it can happen. You've not played a game one way for ages until someone points out that you've made a mistake in scoring?

They admitted they've made an error and are working on correcting it. Any of the other review shows done that?

Edit: Like legitimately asking, I know tabletop always gets flack for screwing up rules, they ever act on it.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Rahdo's always making errata to the way he played something but it's kind of forgivable since he's a one-man-and-a-handicam show.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ineffable posted:

I probably should sell Arkham - I swore to myself I'd never play it again after I spent my last game of Lost in Time and Space for something like eight consecutive turns.

You can't be LiTaS for eight turns in a row. You stay one full turn after you move there, then move to any area in Arkham.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Cassa posted:

Sure, it can happen. You've not played a game one way for ages until someone points out that you've made a mistake in scoring?

They admitted they've made an error and are working on correcting it. Any of the other review shows done that?

Edit: Like legitimately asking, I know tabletop always gets flack for screwing up rules, they ever act on it.

I think Tabletop had a disclaimer ahead of their Fortune & Glory play-through, but more to the effect that “we threw everything in, so some things were bound to be wrong”, but that's about it.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Cassa posted:

Well its not a review show but watch it played is always willing to step up a admit to any mistakes, even if in one case in meant the entire second half a a video had to be replayed.

Rumda fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 7, 2014

Bungeyjump
Nov 9, 2003
Bungeyjumpingpeopledie

GMarshal posted:

So, my collection is pretty satisfactorily large right now (not as large as I'd like, but we're never getting to that point ever, and I don't play enough as is), I'm at a point where I'm looking for a couple "filler" games, the type that can be played between rounds of heavier games, ideally not too competitive and super rules light. Our current go to for that is Last Night on Earth, which is a meh game, but one of our players really likes it.

So what I'm looking for in order is:

1.) Easy rules
2.) Easyish setup
3.) Quick play time

If its a competitive game, a team aspect would be nice, but its not a deal-breaker either way. You guys usually have fantastic suggestions, so I figured I'd ask.

Edit: A kick rear end theme would be really helpful for the guy who isn't super into board games.

Hanabi is pretty good filler, co-op. Dobble is super quick and light, in a similar style to geistes blitz

Ineffable
Jul 4, 2012

Jedit posted:

You can't be LiTaS for eight turns in a row. You stay one full turn after you move there, then move to any area in Arkham.

Right, sorry, it's been a while. On further reflection, I think it was probably something more like I got sucked into a gate, spent two turns in the outer worlds then got lost in time and space. Wherever I moved next, I got sucked into a gate again, and spent two turns there, made it through the outer world, closed the gate (but couldn't seal due to lack of clues) and another gate opened in the same location immediately, so I got sucked in again.

So I wasn't missing turns entirely, but I certainly wasn't making meaningful decisions.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ineffable posted:

On further reflection, I think it was probably something more like I got sucked into a gate, spent two turns in the outer worlds then got lost in time and space. Wherever I moved next, I got sucked into a gate again, and spent two turns there, made it through the outer world, closed the gate (but couldn't seal due to lack of clues) and another gate opened in the same location immediately, so I got sucked in again.

This is exactly why you play Eldritch Horror instead. Same(ish) game, no getting removed off the board for half the game in a row.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

What's the goon consensus on Wiz-War?

I watched the SUSD Let's Play and it looked like a fun Beer & Pretzels-style game, but seems like it could have some problems overstaying its welcome, especially with player elimination.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

First meeting of the board game group I'm starting is in an hour. Here's to hoping someone shows up!

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

I've just got Dungeon Roll and I'm enjoying it, I think it'll make a nice little filler. However, I don't think I've ever read such terrible instructions - I'm still not sure if I'm playing it right!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

I watched the SUSD Let's Play and it looked like a fun Beer & Pretzels-style game, but seems like it could have some problems overstaying its welcome, especially with player elimination.

I like Wiz Wars, but it's super swingy. It's never really overstayed its welcome for us, because we just play a game or two of it every once in a while.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

I've only played the 80s version rather than FFG's rerelease, but I always hated that you have all these crazy spells to fling at one another, but what the game is actually about is just stealing each other's treasure and so you're better off interacting with the other players as little as possible. Maybe Fantasy Flight fixed that, but it didn't seem like it from their video.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Countblanc posted:

How does it stack up to Can't Stop?

It's much better than Can't Stop, and I like Can't Stop. More control.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

GMarshal posted:

Space alert, Last Night on Earth, Galaxy Trucker, Dominions, Chaos in the Old World, Battlestar Galactica, Arkham Horror, Smallworld, Devastation of Indines, Diplomacy, Carcasone, Catan, and probably one or two that are slipping my mind because they don't get played enough.

Yeah, get Avalon. It takes 15 minutes, is team-based, and teaches very easily.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Stelas posted:

This is exactly why you play Eldritch Horror instead. Same(ish) game, no getting removed off the board for half the game in a row.

I was somewhat bummed when they brought back lost in time and space, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was and you get the side benefit of being able to pop out wherever you want on the map, which is actually semi useful with how much slower movement is.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Lorini posted:

It's much better than Can't Stop, and I like Can't Stop. More control.

Thank you for chiming in; I haven't played Can't Stop.

Seriously, though. Las Vegas. It's not expensive and takes 5 minutes to teach. Blind buy it. Everyone will love it.

And next year the US gets the expansion. Can't wait.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Diosamblet posted:

SU&SD posted a review of Warhammer: Diskwars ... and pretty much immediately retracted it. I just bought the game myself yesterday and haven't had a chance to play it yet, but thought there was something odd about their second big issue with the game... Because they weren't playing it right. I'm curious what they thought the abilities that remove Activation tokens (ie Rally) are good for if you wiped all the tokens right after one command. Also curious to see if the difference this makes to the turn structure will reduce their complaint about the random ranged attacks (Since your potential to make ranged attacks would be about 1/4 as frequent and melee units would be able to respond tactically much more easily).

This was a pretty good review up until the half way point where he "gives us the bad news". Pretty hilarious that their problems with the game stem from playing it incorrectly but I can cut them some slack. I assume they tried to play using the rule book; which isn't the most clear thing in the world. For any game I play I'll usually watch a couple tutorial videos and just use the rules as a reference. I'm guessing as game reviewers themselves (and having a huge amount of different game to play) they are reluctant to do that.

Diskwars is a very nice game. It's just such a great value, only about $30. From just the basic set you get 4 factions with 3 generals each and enough minions to use them all (in a 4 player battle royale if you wanted). A bunch of different deployment/command/objective/terrain cards that make every game unique. The box is really compact too which makes it easy to carry around in a backpack so you can play a quick game on a lunchroom table.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

No one showed up. :( If a hot chick can't encourage guys to come play board games for free that I'm providing I guess my town is just a bust with trying to start a group here.

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow

ashez2ashes posted:

No one showed up. :( If a hot chick can't encourage guys to come play board games for free that I'm providing I guess my town is just a bust with trying to start a group here.

Meetup groups can take a while to build up. My local ones may have 1400 members, but individual meetings may only have 3 people show up some nights, or 30. It may take a few months before you get more than one or two people.

Also, if you were just starting the first time, I hope you had a sign or a really obvious pile of board games. It becomes easy to spot a meetup once they're lively and people recognize each other, but with just one person it's a random stranger who maybe is part of this?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ashez2ashes posted:

If your towns gamer nerds are anything like mine an attractive girl may have been intimidating. That would mean they would need to shower and put on their cleanest MLP tshirt and for some people that's just too much effort for a game of Catan.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The only reason I ever ended up going to my uni's group for the first time is because I happened to meet the president and talk about games beforehand, and found out that there were a few people who played games I cared about. I was worried everyone would either be playing wargames/tcgs, tabletop rpgs, or hyper-light party games like CAH - and I was pretty much right, probably 60-80% of everyone present on a given day is doing that - but there were enough folks who wanted to play medium weight stuff that I went along. I guess what I'm saying is maybe make it clear what sort of things you'd like to play (If you didn't already), since "board game" is such an absurdly broad category that you can't meaningfully figure out what people actually want out of it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Gutter Owl posted:

Looks good, though the VP seals in the bottom right are a bit hard to read (and will be worse at a distance or with bad lighting. I'd darken the depressed part of the seal a few shades and/or highlight the number a bit more.

Made a couple small tweaks to hopefully make them more legible:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'd still highlight the VP more, or darken the depressed area more. Because both colors are darker, the contrast needs to be greater than with the coin, if you want it to be clear in less-than-perfect lighting.

• Locked thread