Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
It's really kinda baffling how many comments and such I've seen since Stardust started airing about how "Hamon" was way better and more interesting, and "why doesn't Joseph teach it to Jotaro, it'd be more useful than a Stand".

I mean, Stands are the iconic JoJo power, and have been really influential and whatnot. So it's weird that people are acting like the show is "less original" now than it was in Parts 1 and 2. Now I'm curious how Japan reacted when the manga switched to Part 3 and Stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
From what I understand, the reaction was much the same. Araki made the stat pages to help them understand Stands more so that the transition was easier.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

RubberLuffy posted:

"why doesn't Joseph teach it to Jotaro, it'd be more useful than a Stand".

The hell? People are actually saying this? Did they even consider that it would be pointless since they aren't fighting vampires anymore?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The hell? People are actually saying this? Did they even consider that it would be pointless since they aren't fighting vampires anymore?

You can do a lot of other stuff with Hamon too! Like shoving a whole pigeon down someone's throat :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Well, aside from DIO (and Vanilla Ice), anyway.

Of course, that would still require Joseph, who has already been said not to have kept up with his training and only learned the Ripple by being thrown into a death trap, to teach Jotaro a technique that will only work on one specific person while they're constantly traveling to get to a place in under two months.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
People said it in the thread earlier, it's died down since then and they have gotten used to stands which is not surprising. I would not be surprised to see it brought up again, especially once Joseph fights Dio and everyone starts whining about how useless the ripple has been despite Joseph having not trained it in 50 years.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Uh, is the Jorge Joestar novel canon? Is Dio Brando actually Jesus Christ?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

It's not Canon.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

all I'm seeing is Jotaro's face with a silly pompadour.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87urCLdnvo0

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

It is more pointless because hamon cannot hit stands.

Beef Waifu posted:

People said it in the thread earlier, it's died down since then and they have gotten used to stands which is not surprising. I would not be surprised to see it brought up again, especially once Joseph fights Dio and everyone starts whining about how useless the ripple has been despite Joseph having not trained it in 50 years.

Besides, the first 10 or so stands do not really have the kind of wtf? powers that we all have learned to love. As soon as more interesting powers (like the hanged man) become more common everybody will realize how good can they be.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 7, 2014

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

Iggy had the saddest death in part 3. Can't wait to see people react to him having the poo poo kicked out of him. Assuming all the other dog brutality hasn't desensitized them, holy gently caress.

Iggy got off light compared to how he died in the ova.

Butt Ghost posted:

No but yes

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

RubberLuffy posted:

It's really kinda baffling how many comments and such I've seen since Stardust started airing about how "Hamon" was way better and more interesting, and "why doesn't Joseph teach it to Jotaro, it'd be more useful than a Stand".

I mean, Stands are the iconic JoJo power, and have been really influential and whatnot. So it's weird that people are acting like the show is "less original" now than it was in Parts 1 and 2. Now I'm curious how Japan reacted when the manga switched to Part 3 and Stands.
Even if you thought Stands were bland at this point, and I can see how that might come to light, the implicit way the fights are structured has been real good. It's making em appreciate them all the more. J. Geil and Hol Horse are yucking it up in large part, I imagine, because they know how Kakyoin and Polnareff work.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Johnny's reaction. :allears: I really like Johnny.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

Butt Ghost posted:

Funny Valentine
Funnier Valentine
The Funniest Valentine

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Why didn't Joseph use Hamon during D'arby's glass game?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It would've been pretty hard for Daniel to not see sparks flying out of Joseph's hands.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 7, 2014

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Plus D'Arby was surely informed about Hamon from Dio.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Better yet, how did no one notice the chunk of chocolate sitting under the cup?

Edit: Why is Tamami so small now? What the gently caress?

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 7, 2014

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Dude got humbled the gently caress out by Koichi. I like him better this way.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

Better yet, how did no one notice the chunk of chocolate sitting under the cup?

Edit: Why is Tamami so small now? What the gently caress?

D'Arby did, didn't he? He blocked the sun from melting it so it would melt on Joseph's turn.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Daniel put it there to begin with.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Wait, did Joseph slip in the chocolate? I thought D'arby was the one who did that.

edit: oh, nvm. I'd still assume that people would notice if there was a chunk of chocolate stuck under the glass.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It was D'arby.

The D'arbys are basically Pegasus from Yu-Gi-Oh.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah, I got some mad Yu-Gi-Oh vibes from the D'arbys. It reminded me of the earlier arcs from before the series was focused on the card games. Early Yami was pretty hosed up.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Butt Ghost posted:

Yeah, I got some mad Yu-Gi-Oh vibes from the D'arbys. It reminded me of the earlier arcs from before the series was focused on the card games. Early Yami was pretty hosed up.

Early Yugioh was amazing before the whole thing became about cards. It was essentially a manga entirely about D'Arby battles in a part 4-ish setting. There was definitely more than a passing Jojo's influence and it shows.
It's been a while since I've read it but I definitely recommend it to anyone here looking for something to read while you wait for Jojolion.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Don't forget the influence of the Ken Oyanagi battle, AKA Xtreme Rock Paper Scissors.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus christ Manga Yugi is loving crazy.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The 1st Volume of Yugioh was just batshit insanity

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Worth noting that if you lose against Yugi you either die or are disabled for life. He set a dude on fire once.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

RatHat posted:

Worth noting that if you lose against Yugi you either die or are disabled for life. He set a dude on fire once.

He did, and it was pretty hosed up.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Old Yu-Gi-Oh was hosed in all the right ways. I wish the didn't drop Yami being a loving sociopath in favor for marginalizing the card game, but that poo poo makes too much mad cash for them not to do that, so :shrug:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yu-Gi-Oh literally becomes Card Games JoJo's Bizarre Adventure so how you are mad it became that is baffling.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
The first big chunk of the cards part of the manga is pretty good too.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

Yu-Gi-Oh literally becomes Card Games JoJo's Bizarre Adventure so how you are mad it became that is baffling.
Does Yami set anyone on fire?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

Does Yami set anyone on fire?

Actually, yes.

He also blew up a guy.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Well then...

Also, I should probably elaborate, I'm not angry about the premise of Yu-Gi-Oh changing or anything, and I'm not saying what it became was awful. Just disappointed that such an interesting concept was pushed aside, that's all.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Selling knives for children to stab themselves with has poor marketing potential compared to trading cards.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

On the other hand, selling knives to children far more metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Yu-Gi-Oh was still pretty drat metal even when it was about card games.

The loser of this duel will sink to the bottom of the ocean.

• Locked thread