Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Devor posted:

Please critique my draft

1 Cogwork Grinder (Enters play as 41/41)
39 Islands

Monoblue. Should hold up fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Bugsy posted:

And new promo time!

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/news/20140605
Queue up the Liliana of the Veil reprint speculation.

e - has the Chain Veil always been an upside down planeswalker symbol?

So for a WMCQ I just roll up with 300 PWs from one of the last two seasons right? There's one coming up at Dark Sphere in London and for a Geist it seems well worthwhile.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

BizarroAzrael posted:

So for a WMCQ I just roll up with 300 PWs from one of the last two seasons right? There's one coming up at Dark Sphere in London and for a Geist it seems well worthwhile.

If I am reading it correctly for England all you need is 300 in the yearly part on your PWP page.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Events.aspx?x=mtg/event/worldmagiccup/qualifiers

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Everblight posted:

League of Legends handled this brilliantly by locking you out of playing more games until the one you ragequit ended. A similar cooldown timer would be nice, though random disconnects being one of MODO's most enduring 'features' probably makes that unworkable.

It costs you literally seconds to find a new game if someone ragequits online. I hope to God they don't try to lock you in to 45 minute obligation slogs like a lovely MOBA game.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
Obligatory complaint about location of the wmcqs goes here.

Edit : oh god the closest one is now 14 hours away.

Shavnir fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 7, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

By the way guys, that whole modding DotP 2014 thing mentioned earlier? It's fantastic. I managed to find one hilarious deck which is just putting big blue things down.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mezzanon posted:

I just had to get into the conspiracy spirit. I recommend everybody do the same whenever possible. On the penultimate turn I leaned to one of the guys I had messaged and whispered "now is the time, take out Mason." So he swung all out at the other guy I had texted, killing most of his blockers. And in return I killed the first player who had tapped most of his attackers, and then killed the second opponent next turn. Evil mastermind all day.

I actually killed all 3 of my opponents with a bolder intimidator and a 17/17 ignition team

Yeah Conspiracy rules, even if every time I tried played my Hydra Omnivore it got countered, because people are dicks and didn't want me to win.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Bugsy posted:

More or less, yeah. That's a little more emphasised than normal, but it's always had the five hanging parts of lengths 1-2-3-2-1 and that strap over the head to look like the tail on the planeswalker symbol.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
My friend just pulled foil Brainstorm from a Conspiracy pack. We checked TCG and...$80!?!?

Sweet Jesus. I know Legacy players can't wait to bling out their deck, but drat.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Sleep of Bronze posted:

More or less, yeah. That's a little more emphasised than normal, but it's always had the five hanging parts of lengths 1-2-3-2-1 and that strap over the head to look like the tail on the planeswalker symbol.
I'm not sure how comfortable I am with how silly it looks. It kinda reminds me of a bad Davy Jones mask.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Picked up the Deck Packs for D14 since gently caress it it's $2. Holy jesus is the R/W Metalcraft deck terrible to start with.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

This might've been asked before, but does Ogre Slumlord stack with itself?

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Nomadic Scholar posted:

This might've been asked before, but does Ogre Slumlord stack with itself?
By "Stack with itself" I assume you mean that it's ability activates when it dies, my understanding is No? It specifies "another" creature, and if it would die, the fact that it died would come into play before the stack triggers. Unless you're asking whether if you have two Ogre Slumlord's in play and one dies, in which case, yes. The other creature is the slumlord, and the effect triggers like normal.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I'm asking if you played multiple Slumlords, would they all trigger off of one creature dying? Sorry for the poor wording

Nomadic Scholar fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 7, 2014

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I'm asking if you played multiple Slumlords, would they all trigger off of one creature dying? Sorry for the poor wording

Yes, they would.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Yes, they're all separate triggers from each other.

Edit: that in mind I wonder how a monoblack deck centered around slumlords, dictate of erebos, and a sac outlet would fare? Whats a good standard sac outlet other than cartel aristocrat?

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I'm asking if you played multiple Slumlords, would they all trigger off of one kill? Sorry for the poor wording
I'm FAIRLY sure the answer is Yes? Because each Ogre Slumlord trigger is a different trigger, much like how the +1/+1 counter from Predatory Sliver stacks for each Predatory Sliver, the rat token effect stacks for each Slumlord, and they get multiple Deathtouchs from each Slumlord. But since Deathtouch doesn't really matter beyond the first Deathtouch, that doesn't matter.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Thanks for the answer. Someone made a modern rat deck. I should probably ask him for the list since he wants me to help him get some of the cards.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jonked posted:

I'm FAIRLY sure the answer is Yes? Because each Ogre Slumlord trigger is a different trigger, much like how the +1/+1 counter from Predatory Sliver stacks for each Predatory Sliver, the rat token effect stacks for each Slumlord, and they get multiple Deathtouchs from each Slumlord. But since Deathtouch doesn't really matter beyond the first Deathtouch, that doesn't matter.

Predatory Sliver doesn't give +1/+1 counters and doesn't have any triggers attached to it, but the rest of this description is correct.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
Just got home from an Conspiracy draft tonight. As a group our pod decided that we wanted to play it as 2-headed-giant instead of free for all. This was decided before started the draft, and you were paired up with the person farthest from you in the pod so you couldn't easily feed the person you were paired with.

Man was it a ton of fun. Ended up having 3 really long games, but was definitely worth it. Some of the most fun I've had playing magic in a while. Lots of random interactions, some really giant creatures. Was just a lot of fun. It makes the voting a little more straightforward, although getting an extra vote becomes rather important. If you can talk the rest of your group to try it, I say it's worth a shot.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Yes, they're all separate triggers from each other.

Edit: that in mind I wonder how a monoblack deck centered around slumlords, dictate of erebos, and a sac outlet would fare? Whats a good standard sac outlet other than cartel aristocrat?

Are we talking about in competitive Constructed? Because this deck sounds fun but awful, you need a bunch of mediocre 5 mana cards and then even more stuff in order to not even insta-win the game.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Doing a swiss cube. First picked Channel, second picked Show and Tell, third picked Opposition.

Unfortunately the deck turned out pretty bad in the end, but I won the first round against a much better U/G deck because I drew Channel in 2 of the games. That card is insane. Second game I channel into Ulamog turn 3, third game he taps out on turn 5, I go Channel into Myr Battlesphere, into Gaea's Cradle for a Deranged hermit, Edric Spymaster and Elvish Mystic, from an empty board.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bugsy posted:

And new promo time!

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/news/20140605
Queue up the Liliana of the Veil reprint speculation.

Does something that limited even really count as a reprint?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Elyv posted:

Are we talking about in competitive Constructed? Because this deck sounds fun but awful, you need a bunch of mediocre 5 mana cards and then even more stuff in order to not even insta-win the game.

Fun but awful sounds right. It would work with deso demon and pack rat at least. Probably could make it for next to nothing on modo.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

ManiacMatt posted:

Just got home from an Conspiracy draft tonight. As a group our pod decided that we wanted to play it as 2-headed-giant instead of free for all. This was decided before started the draft, and you were paired up with the person farthest from you in the pod so you couldn't easily feed the person you were paired with.

Man was it a ton of fun.

I always enjoyed 2HG way more than regular multiplayer. It avoids the usual 'ignore me, I'm not a threat' politics of multiplayer, and no one is out until it's over.

Wizards should have thought of this for Conspiracy.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

This is just silly.

Game 1 he destroyed me with discard and an absurd amount of 2 for 1s, game 2 I played Opposition, then Channel into Battlesphere, then Phantasmal Image copying Battlesphere. Game 3 I snap keep 4 lands, Looter, Apprentice, Ulamog. Obviously I draw the Channel turn 2.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If the MTGO beta is showing the round time at over 50 mins and still ticking up, what the gently caress's going on? Should I reboot the client because it's started the next round without me, or is something else going on?

e: never mind, it's going to the next round. MTGO is just garbage as usual, carry on.

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

Entropic posted:

If the MTGO beta is showing the round time at over 50 mins and still ticking up, what the gently caress's going on? Should I reboot the client because it's started the next round without me, or is something else going on?

The 50 minutes doesn't count time for sideboarding. If a game's going down to the wire it can go a few minutes over 50.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ManiacMatt posted:

Man was it a ton of fun. Ended up having 3 really long games, but was definitely worth it. Some of the most fun I've had playing magic in a while. Lots of random interactions, some really giant creatures. Was just a lot of fun. It makes the voting a little more straightforward, although getting an extra vote becomes rather important. If you can talk the rest of your group to try it, I say it's worth a shot.

Yeah, the best way for me to describe Conspiracy is like drafting a mini-EDH deck. They jam-packed so many wacky interactions into this set. Super long games, lots of different interactions.

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

Everblight posted:

League of Legends handled this brilliantly by locking you out of playing more games until the one you ragequit ended. A similar cooldown timer would be nice, though random disconnects being one of MODO's most enduring 'features' probably makes that unworkable.

This would be awful. Concessions aren't always "rage quits." Even pro players concede matches they know they can't win. I don't understand you morons who think like this.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

So I enjoyed conspiracy a lot more than I thought I would but everyone at my thought would rather do something else.

They are a pretty chill and fun crew and people still had fun but the overwhelming consensus seemed to be that while the draft mechanics were fun, playing long durdly games of limited was not what most people wanted to be doing which I think is understandable.

I was personally surprised that it managed to be more interesting than I first thought but I don't think ill ever draft it again.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
Oh man, I just came back from Conspiracy draft and it was fun as hell. Me and another guy got the Lore Seeker, and we both added 2 more Conspiracy packs to the pool, with the one I got having an Exploration in it. Since I was drafting some GRw vanilla stuff/ramp, I took that. Also got passed a Stifle :stare:
I was passed an IGG several times but never took it - however, I did get it in a prize pack. Is that still used in a Storm variant?
So far since I was drawing some lands and decent creatures, I was talking my way out of being targeted, mainly talking about killing this one guy first (I also told everyone to cut black since he'd play it; not only did they take my advice, but he was looking forward to draft black! :dance: ) - that ruse worked, especially when someone landed a Magister of Worth, and I convinced everyone to choose Grace. Just as planned, not only did I keep my big dudes, but I started ramping up due to Sakura Tribe Elder and Elvish Abomination. It got really crazy with the Parley dude that makes your attackers get +1/+1 for each nonland shown that way, and him along with that 1/1 for G that untaps your dudes when it attacks. So I took out my first target, and since he was out of the way, I killed the other two with ease. Felt good being a complete rear end in a top hat.

I also traded a shitton today, got a LED (essentially mint!), Korean Liliana of the Dark Realms, Gemstone Mine, and a River of Tears for 4x Thalia, 3x Tec Edge, 1 HP Wasteland, and two Leonin Arbiters. I'm so glad that I'm slowly progressing towards ANT, I love that deck so much.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Entropic posted:

Does something that limited even really count as a reprint?

WMCQ promos aren't very limited at all. This will be affordable.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Somehow I got Magister of Worth, three Brago's Representatives, 2 Compulsive Research and 2 Fact or Fictions (as fifth and sixth picks in pack 3)

Turns out when you have 3 votes Bite of the Black Rose is a really powerful card! Also when you're hitting your land drops for the entire game the multikicker creatures are really, really handy (and a 4/4 flyer with protection from creatures from the relevant cantrip aura make people really not want to attack you)

Best moment was in the winner's match my friend needed my votes for a Plea for Power to get an extra turn and kill the other two people in the game, so gave me a 5-0 Fact or Fiction split. Then they countered the Plea for Power and I ended up winning :v:

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I won in the finals against mono-red with a Eureka for Ulamog, Meloku, Avenger of Zendikar, Epochrasite, Simic Sky Swallower, and Looter Il-kor, with an Opposition in play :psyduck:.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago
So did a Conspiracy draft with a group of mostly first/few-time drafters tonight, which led to (in a seven person pod) a P1P7 Exploration and a P2P5 Stifle. Also ended up with two Edrics, so went hard on the low cost green creatures/blue flyers. Picked up two Muzzio's Preperations and two Immediate Actions, so decided to go all-in on the 3x Gnarlid Packs I had for some hasty 4/4 2-drops, along with a 12th pick (!) Lurking Automaton with haste. I think the way that some of the conspiracies give you a focus on trying to draft multiples of a given card is really interesting.

But really, curving T1 Exploration, T2 Edric, T3 Lurking Automaton is probably the best I'll manage in any Conspiracy draft.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Jimmy Jazz posted:

Yeah burn is totally dead after rotation, but most other standard decks will be as well. Monsters might still be good if mystic gets reprinted although losing domri hurts. Green devotion will be good if garruk gets reprinted, although thoughtseize will still be there to keep it in check and there's some constellation decks popping up in current standard that have a lot of theros cards.

All of this is of course wildly useless speculation because there's a whole new big set and core set not included.

Is Murdergoats still a thing? And does it lose anything important besides Trading Post? You still have Purphoros, and you still have Tyaramet, and you still have Akroan Horse and possibly Brimaz if you want to go WRB.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Zemyla posted:

Is Murdergoats still a thing? And does it lose anything important besides Trading Post? You still have Purphoros, and you still have Tyaramet, and you still have Akroan Horse and possibly Brimaz if you want to go WRB.

It's probably not a good idea to try to modify a weird fringe deck for rotation - someone will brew an interesting weird thing and people will play it (and talk about it forever), just like always.

I also wonder what would have happened if it had been called Tymaret Control.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

UberJew posted:

Somehow I got Magister of Worth, three Brago's Representatives, 2 Compulsive Research and 2 Fact or Fictions (as fifth and sixth picks in pack 3)

Turns out when you have 3 votes Bite of the Black Rose is a really powerful card! Also when you're hitting your land drops for the entire game the multikicker creatures are really, really handy (and a 4/4 flyer with protection from creatures from the relevant cantrip aura make people really not want to attack you)

Best moment was in the winner's match my friend needed my votes for a Plea for Power to get an extra turn and kill the other two people in the game, so gave me a 5-0 Fact or Fiction split. Then they countered the Plea for Power and I ended up winning :v:

This sounds pretty similar to what I drafted. I opened a Magister of Worth and ended up drafting a B/W Will of the Council/Life Drain deck. I was pretty inconspicuous most of the game, not doing any attacking and having the other players ignore me, then I would wipe the board with Magister, attack the next turn and fire off a bunch of Syphon Souls to drain them and Tyrant's Choice to get rid of anything they tried to play/further drain them. Will of the Council is a really cool fun multiplayer mechanic and I like that there's enough stuff to really draft around it as an archetype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Picked Worldknit Pack 1/Pick 1 and picked mid-fatties and interactive multiplayer cards, ended up reanimating a discarded Pelakka Wurm and never saw most of my cards. v:v:v Won five packs and got an Exploration and Mirari's Wake (traded for a Misdirection later) in addition to a foil Stifle I pulled from a random pack earlier in the day.

Honestly, Conspiracy is great if only because there are now a ton of old rare cards that have been reprinted like Deed, Misdirection, Wake, Raya, etc.

• Locked thread