Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mithaldu posted:

Why don't you do both? I use Opera 12 as my main browser, which works fine for all but ... 12 websites i use, and the ones with atrociously slow javascript, or ram-hungry and crash-happy flash bullshit get loaded in firefox or chrome.

:hfive:

It still works for most things, so I'm not giving up. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I miss the old Opera.* I keep looking to the newer Opera here and there, hoping they've added more features to make it more like 12. I'm happy to find out I actually can enable the keyboard shortcuts, but for some reasing 1 and 2 on the numpad won't work for going left and right on my tabs.... All the other numpad extensions work, though.

I miss sessions and bookmarks and whatnot, but at least I can get extensions to match those. I also wish I could change the keyboard shortcuts. Ctrl + Z is so much easier than ctrl + shift + T.

But I was wondering, is there really no way at all to customize the UI? I really want to remove the navigation buttons, but can't seem to find anything suggesting that that's possible.

* "Miss" is probably the wrong word to use here, considering I still use it. Though I seem to recall seeing a claim a few months ago that Opera was going to push an auto update through 12 to force everyone to whatever the newest version is mid 2014? Not that I think they could truly FORCE the update... but still. Wish they'd make the newer version feel and act like the old one more so first.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
At the end of the day it's chrome, and chrome was meant to be fast and light-weight, which is an impossibility with highly customizable software.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Mithaldu posted:

At the end of the day it's chrome, and chrome was meant to be fast and light-weight, which is an impossibility with highly customizable software.
EXCEPT OPERA 12.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Something strange just happened with my Opera 12.17 (Win8.1). In the middle of usage, it stopped loading images. Ok, that happens from time to time with large images, so I just restart it. Most images load, but imgur...doesn't. Any in-line links in the forums, going to imgur.com, going to gallery pages, nothing loads. The only time it will load a picture is if I go directly to the .jpg/.gif/etc file.

I've cleared all the caches I can find, I've uninstalled and reinstalled Java, disabled Ghostery, rebooted my computer. I'm at a loss. Before I go through the hassle of uninstall/reinstall, any suggestions?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Pyroclastic posted:

Something strange just happened with my Opera 12.17 (Win8.1). In the middle of usage, it stopped loading images. Ok, that happens from time to time with large images, so I just restart it. Most images load, but imgur...doesn't. Any in-line links in the forums, going to imgur.com, going to gallery pages, nothing loads. The only time it will load a picture is if I go directly to the .jpg/.gif/etc file.

I've cleared all the caches I can find, I've uninstalled and reinstalled Java, disabled Ghostery, rebooted my computer. I'm at a loss. Before I go through the hassle of uninstall/reinstall, any suggestions?

Same issue here. I wonder if Imgur made a change that Opera doesn't know how to cope with.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Same again for me, Opera 12.16 on OS X 10.8.5, my other browsers are all fine with loading imgur pics but just blank space happens in Opera. Glad to know it's not just me, but I hope it gets rectified as I'd hate to have to switch to another browser full time. I moved to Chrome on my work machine because Opera kept getting bogged down with all the tabs I usually run and it just feels so wrong, as stupid as it sounds I actually feel a little dread in the idea of having to move away from Opera 12 permanently. It's just the best browser.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
They're loading for me in 12.17 64-bit on Vista. Hmm.

edit: Oh what the gently caress, and now they don't. YOU CURSED ME.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jun 7, 2014

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

According to reddit:

quote:

[–]nostaw 1 point 44 minutes ago

They are missing http and https on half of their embedded images instead just using //

Chrome and Firefox will still display it, opera wont.

I did notice in my Dragonfly inspection that came up once. And I just turned off Referrer Information (F12) and the images loaded. So it looks like however imgur intercepts referral information to call the images up in forums or their own site got changed and is incompatible with Opera. If the site doesn't get a referrer, it just delivers the image in a more straightforward way.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Lol http://otter-browser.org/ released a beta that is already on feature parity with the Blink based abomination after only six months.

What the hell are they (not) doing in Norway?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Cool that got them loading again for me. Are there any negatives to having that option unchecked?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

RandomCheese posted:

Cool that got them loading again for me. Are there any negatives to having that option unchecked?

Most sites work ok with referrer logging disabled. There are a few sites that refuse to load images or downloads with no referrer. But that can be toggled from site preferences. (F12 -> Edit Site Prefeences... -> Network), or just by turning "Send Referrer Information" back on from the F12 menu.

I have had referrer logging disabled by default for a decade, maybe even longer, and it causes very few problems.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pyroclastic posted:

Oh, thank god it's not just me, I ended up spending all night loving with every cache and setting in existence trying to figure this out. I hope they fix it soon, I don't want to change browsers, ugh. :cripes:

EDIT:

Pyroclastic posted:

According to reddit:

I did notice in my Dragonfly inspection that came up once. And I just turned off Referrer Information (F12) and the images loaded. So it looks like however imgur intercepts referral information to call the images up in forums or their own site got changed and is incompatible with Opera. If the site doesn't get a referrer, it just delivers the image in a more straightforward way.

Thank you! Thank you so much! :worship:

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jun 7, 2014

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Fark, I knew I should have checked here before I got all pissed off and uninstalled opera in my win7 desktop.
I was already at the end of my tether because Australia's iview streaming kept crashing in opera after the ABC revamped their site. So when imgur stopped working and nothing seemed to fix it I got pissed off and uninstalled opera and deleted all personal profiles :(

Oh well, when I get bored I might reinstall and try again.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Riso posted:

Lol http://otter-browser.org/ released a beta that is already on feature parity with the Blink based abomination after only six months.

What the hell are they (not) doing in Norway?

Has anyone tried this? Is it any good?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Fo3 posted:

I was already at the end of my tether because Australia's iview streaming kept crashing in opera after the ABC revamped their site. So when imgur stopped working and nothing seemed to fix it I got pissed off and uninstalled opera and deleted all personal profiles :(

Just add buttons to open the current page or pointed at link in firefox/chrome/ie/whatever the retarded site needs, instead of having a tantrum and ragequitting.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

Just add buttons to open the current page or pointed at link in firefox/chrome/ie/whatever the retarded site needs, instead of having a tantrum and ragequitting.

Wait, you can do that? I don't do any videos or similar stuff in Opera 12 anymore, and it'd be nice to be able to right-click a youtube link and have it open in Chrome on its own.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

Wait, you can do that? I don't do any videos or similar stuff in Opera 12 anymore, and it'd be nice to be able to right-click a youtube link and have it open in Chrome on its own.

I originally got them from here: http://operawiki.info/webdevtoolbar

But for the buttons only, find your menu.ini and edit this into the appropiate sections:

code:

[Open in menu]
Item, "Mozilla Firefox" = Execute program, "firefox","%u"
Item, "Chrome" = Execute program, "chrome","%u"
Item, "Internet Explorer" = Execute program, "iexplore","%u"

[Link Popup Menu]
Platform Windows, Item, "Open in FireFox" 	= "Copy link,,,,"Firefox" & Execute program, "firefox","%c""
Platform Windows, Item, "Open in Chrome" 	= "Copy link,,,,"Chrome" & Execute program, "chrome","%c""
Platform Windows, Item, "Open in IE" 			= "Copy link,,,,"IE" & Execute program, "iexplore","%c""

[Extra Menu]
Platform Windows, Item, "Open in FireFox"		= Execute program, "firefox","%u",,"Firefox"
Platform Windows, Item, "Open in Chrome"		= Execute program, "chrome","%u",,"Chrome"
Platform Windows, Item, "Open in IE"	= Execute program, "iexplore","%u",,"IE"

for the icons, in your skin.ini (plus the appropiate images):

code:
[Images]
IE                                = buttons/ie.png
Firefox                            = buttons/ff.png
Menu                            = icons/menu.png
Google                            = buttons/google.png
and for the buttons something like this in your toolbar.ini:

code:

[Document Toolbar.content]
[...]
Button25, "InFF"="Execute program, "firefox", "%u", "InFF", "Firefox""
Button26, "InIE"="Execute program, "iexplore", "%u", "InIE", "Ie""

you might need to adjust your system %PATH% so the executables can be found by Opera, but i'm not sure about that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pyroclastic posted:

That's odd, my installation has that by default, just right click->Open With->Chrome|FF|IE.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Gonna have to try that.

Just a note, it looks like imgur cleared up the glitch and images are loading with Referrer Information turned on.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I tried "upgrading" to the latest version for a bit when the imgur thing happened, and, well, I hadn't used post-v12.xx versions before that. :staredog:

Why would they even do what they did?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I blame Opera Unite's Fridge. :colbert:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Since Chrome's lack of customization is finally starting to get to me, I figured I'd try out this Opera thing. However, it looks like the SALR in the OP doesn't exist anymore. Is there a current one somewhere?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

hooah posted:

Since Chrome's lack of customization is finally starting to get to me, I figured I'd try out this Opera thing. However, it looks like the SALR in the OP doesn't exist anymore. Is there a current one somewhere?

I wouldn't bother at this point. NuOpera is just a shittier Chrome and classic Opera hasn't gotten a feature update for over a year and is slowly getting more and more obsolete.

I haven't tried it myself, but http://otter-browser.org/ seems promising, at least as a project.

Hexaemeron
Oct 19, 2003

Florence Henderson's hand-jobs have Wesonality!

Wheany posted:

I haven't tried it myself, but http://otter-browser.org/ seems promising, at least as a project.

It almost can't be worse than any other browser out right now.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Hexaemeron posted:

It almost can't be worse than any other browser out right now.

It's still very very raw, but given the pace at which it's developing we might actually have a Webkit-based Opera 12 in 2014!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

So, I'm finally allowed to talk about the Linux version now that marketing deigned to announce it. Well, bar the part where I'm guessing based on things I'm not supposed to know about. The specific build released has been waiting almost two weeks for a good day to announce it, and more generally this version has been usable for at most a couple of months; progress has been impressively fast given that it's a very, very small team. (They are also in a different country from the rest of the company, but that might be a benefit.)

Back when 15 started, the Linux version progressed faster than the Windows version (but slower than the Mac version - which is still arguably the best one). Given the relative marketshares it was decided to pause Linux development to get the big two in shape first. Not that popular with the developers, and probably when that angry anonymous guy posted about it. Development was restarted more recently - probably acknowledging that from a technical POV, the Mac/Windows versions are now fairly solid.

Oh, and it's a .deb that should work on newish debian/ubuntu-ish distros.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jun 26, 2014

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Sorry, still not interested in a Chrome copy.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Is there any way you can bring back good features and good ideas from the good version of Opera and put it into the bad version of Opera?

I honestly don't understand why turning it into Chrome was deemed as a good idea. There's already a chrome for people who want chrome. In fact, there are hundreds of Chromium likes.

Opera was different to the rest of the junk browsers. Nothing about it makes it special any more and there's really no reason to use it compared to its counterparts.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The one time I tried the newer Opera there were a bunch of extensions that tried to emulate Opera 12 behaviour but they were nowhere near far-reaching enough or were work-arounds.

You shouldn't need a loving extension to make ctrl+t open a new tab next to the current one and it shouldn't need to do that by actually moving it next to the previously active one after it opens at the end of the stack.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Riso posted:

Sorry, still not interested in a Chrome copy.

Fair enough. I would say they're drifting apart UI-wise, but it's still nothing like opera 12.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I don't even demand a lot.

Just add tab grouping, the old cached tab behaviour that doesnt reload the newest version of the tabs all the time, fast forward, and the old bookmark and notes system.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Riso posted:

old bookmark

You just reminded me that there is no proper bookmark system in the new opera. I still can't get over that.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I just want old bookmarks and mouse gestures. Right click a link and pull down to open in new tab doesn't work in any of the extensions I've tried.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Boogalo posted:

I just want old bookmarks and mouse gestures. Right click a link and pull down to open in new tab doesn't work in any of the extensions I've tried.

Mouse gestures and fast forward.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

pyrrho posted:

You just reminded me that there is no proper bookmark system in the new opera. I still can't get over that.
The bookmarks bar does (nested) folders now, which is a start. It could benefit from a dedicated editor, and perhaps from being a toolbar button instead of a space-eating full bar ... but it's something. If they ever bring back some UI/toolbar customization the latter would be a trivial fix, but no luck so far.

Opera devel has also changed the bookmarking buttons; there's now just one heart button that pops up a small thing where you can select bookmark bar/stash/speed dial.

I don't use too many mouse gestures, though I notice the current selection is rather anemic; I can ask if it's planned but I might not get an answer. I suspect it'll be "we see in our stats that only 1.3% of the users used them, and the rest were confused by things suddenly happening", though. (At least they re-added rocker gestures, though they're disabled by default.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 26, 2014

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Computer viking posted:

I don't use too many mouse gestures, though I notice the current selection is rather anemic; I can ask if it's planned but I might not get an answer.
The one single thing that keeps me from considering Chromera for use at all is the lack of the ability to right-click and scroll through my tabs. It doesn't even need to have a menu (i disable that anyhow, because Opera 12 is so fast it doesn't need the menu), but if you could find out if that might EVER make it into Chromera at all, that would be nice.

Also, a small frustration thing, which i'm quite sure you won't be able to answer, but i'd like to bring up anyhow: I really wonder who had the bright idea of making an entirely new software product from scratch and then cannibalizing the name of the former product, in the process confusing half the world and bring the users of their old product a ton of grief because the world doesn't know and doesn't give a poo poo that there's a difference and just slams website doors in their faces. Was that something that Opera management foresaw and accepted, or something that wasn't even thought about?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I can certainly ask.

As for the product name, well - it's the same kind of thing Microsoft does with both Windows and office now and then; or MacOS 9 vs X for that matter. I have the impression they didn't want to keep fighting to keep presto updated (and working despite people hardcoding for WebKit/mozilla/IE ), and that transplanting another engine into opera 12 would be a lot of work just to keep using a rather old and crufty codebase. Given that, reusing the name seems less silly than dropping it and having to work up brand recognition for something new.

More controversially, I think they knew it would be unpopular with the hardcore fans, but went ahead anyway in the hope of recruiting a larger amount of "normal" users - and from what I hear, it seems to be working. Still, there's a reason they haven't pushed new opera as an autoupdate to 12 (and indeed have kept 12 available if you know where to look).

Oh, and the internal "we'll kill you if you use this in public" codename was opium. (After all, it's the engine from chromium, not chrome.) I kind of prefer the chimera allusion in "chromera", though. :)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 26, 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I don't think anyone has any true "fan" affinity to the "old and crufty codebase" or the specific engine (and its myriad of quirks and flaws), but more to the particular subset of the large variety of features they were/are used to and depend on. If they ever reach some sort of parity i'd be happy to upgrade, although - and that's honestly the only thing that kinda irritates me - it doesn't look like anyone is even shooting for that.

Computer viking posted:

Oh, and the internal "we'll kill you if you use this in public" codename was opium. (After all, it's the engine from chromium, not chrome.)
Alright, that's pretty great.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Mmh, it's more that the old UI was also an acquired taste for a niche of power users - good for keeping a small and loyal fan base, less so for expanding into the great unwashed masses. I guess moving to a new codebase was seen as a good time to re-target for, well, a lower but more common denominator.

That said, they have been tacking on new features, but they seem to be quite selective in only adding things that doesn't make it look more complicated by default. There are a few things hidden behind default-off settings, so they could in theory add more ... but no, I wouldn't exactly hold my breath for feature parity with 12.

Oh, and yandex has its own branded opera version - called yandex.browser, in a fit of creativity. It has a backend service to compress sites and such, related to what opera mini /offroad mode does. You almost have to see for yourself what it's called. Nobody here knows of there's any relation or not.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 26, 2014