Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

trapped mouse posted:

Found on the front page of imgur, with the caption "There is hope. They're starting to open their eyes."

:frogsiren:

...what?
What happened in between "she got raped by a man" and "now when I hear rape, I question if it's real rape"?

How does that trivialize rape? Am I the idiot here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I think he was trying, poorly, to communicate that he knew rape happened and felt that false accusations are desensitizing and trvializing "real" rape. Or something.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Praseodymi posted:

I saw that, it doesn't make sense. I had to go back to see if I'd missed the part in the story where anyone had actually lied about being raped. How can your response to someone getting violently taped be 'so many women lie to get men arrested'?

Because you spend the majority of your time on reddit listening to MRAs talk about how women deserve it and the majority of rapes are committed by women against men and a friend of mine was just trying to talk to this girl in a bar and then she got him arrested and all sorts of other wonderful stdh.txt.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
No, they blame "modern femenists". It's almost after the whole tirade so it seems almost an afterthought.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Postal Parcel posted:

...what?
What happened in between "she got raped by a man" and "now when I hear rape, I question if it's real rape"?

How does that trivialize rape? Am I the idiot here?

Violent rape by random strangers in the street is the only real rape. Anything else, like emotional blackmail, coercion, or taking advantage of an incapacitated person isn't real! If they don't look like they got brutally beaten and physically forced into it then they actually wanted it. :downs:

No seriously, that's what it means. "Modern Feminists" have been pointing out that pressuring someone into sex or taking advantage of them counts too, so now the word is trivialized and ruined forever!

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

I was about to touch the poop on this one and decided to post it here instead.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I've heard so many arguments back and forth about whether humans are supposed to drink milk. I've heard we aren't "evolved" to digest it properly and etc.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

The jokes on these e-cards are getting more and more obscure.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

CeramicPig posted:

I was about to touch the poop on this one and decided to post it here instead.

But all mammals drink milk after birth. That's part of the definition of mammal. :psyduck:

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
I'm thrown off by the "millions of pus cell in it" line. I don't know if that's true and I don't want to know, or made up, or some fact that took lots of mental gymnastics to get to that interpretation.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

CeramicPig posted:

I'm thrown off by the "millions of pus cell in it" line. I don't know if that's true and I don't want to know, or made up, or some fact that took lots of mental gymnastics to get to that interpretation.

It's bullshit propaganda. The only way milk would have pus in it is if the cow had an infection. It probably came around because of idiotic transitive property arguments, i.e. "milk is a white bodily fluid, and pus is a white bodily fluid, therefore milk has pus in it."

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Inco posted:

It's bullshit propaganda. The only way milk would have pus in it is if the cow had an infection. It probably came around because of idiotic transitive property arguments, i.e. "milk is a white bodily fluid, and pus is a white bodily fluid, therefore milk has pus in it."

I got some white bodily fluid, too. It's totally not pus.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008

Lottery of Babylon posted:

But all mammals drink milk after birth. That's part of the definition of mammal. :psyduck:

I assume they mean continuing on into adulthood, which is true but mostly because we're the only ones capable of consciously harvesting it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Excels posted:

I've heard so many arguments back and forth about whether humans are supposed to drink milk. I've heard we aren't "evolved" to digest it properly and etc.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Well at its very barest bones this is true. What the person meant by "drink milk after birth" was "drink milk after childhood". And it's true! Humans are the only animals who do so and we weren't "evolved" to do so. Lactose intolerance is in fact a hold over from our earlier state. Most mammals, humans thousands of years ago included, stop producing lactase (the enzyme that allows digestion of milk) as they age. Some early human societies, however, realized that animal milk was a valuable source of nutrients and started to try drinking it into adulthood. Now most human populations have reached the point where we do continue producing lactase into adulthood. People who are lactose intolerant are part of the natural genetic variation who still have the older trait to stop producing it as they age.

So the basic facts are right, but what these people are ignoring is that with regards to humans what is "natural" for us to eat is pretty meaningless in a modern context.

Here read about lactase persistence it's pretty interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactase_persistence

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

CeramicPig posted:

PETA supporters are the same group that claim eating a chickens egg is exactly the same as eating your sisters menstrual blood soaked tampons, so it's probably straight bullshit.

(I've not made that up to be gross, I've literally heard someone use that argument)

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Most of the garbage humans eat every day stops being "food" somewhere along the line anyway. Fried, heavily salted or heavily sweetened. Or made out of paste and molded into shapes.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Well, cow milk does have white blood cells in it. Pus is basically just dead white blood cells with dead bacteria and tissue in it..

That's basically the connection they make.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Regy Rusty posted:

...the basic facts are right, but what these people are ignoring is that with regards to humans what is "natural" for us to eat is pretty meaningless in a modern context.

Here read about lactase persistence it's pretty interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactase_persistence

Goat milk is more easily-digested because it's much closer in composition to human breast milk than cow's milk. I'm not even lactose-intolerant and I've switched to all-goat dairy because goat milk, butter, and cheese just leaves me feeling better. Wonder what the woo-woo folks have to say about that.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

bonestructure posted:

Wonder what the woo-woo folks have to say about that.

That you are a horrible monster and should burn.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I live in a cesspool of hippies and they generally treat goat milk like the second coming of Christ.
Then again, these are people who actively oppose pasteurization so their opinions on dairy products are basically meaningless.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Goat dairy products are actually pretty good, and good for you, but probably not for the reason the hippies think.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hippies just want to suck goat dick.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

karl fungus posted:

Goat dairy products are actually pretty good, and good for you, but probably not for the reason the hippies think.

Except goat's milk is weirdly gritty or strong in taste to me. I'll never be able to drink it straight due to that. Goat's cheese is absolutely delicious though so the more cheese the better.
Apparently there isn't much lactose in older/harder cheeses so that's a good thing to keep in mind.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I hate all the "It isn't natural!" "This isn't what our ancestors did!" bullshit. Our ancestors were animals that tried to get enough nutrients to live any way they could. Sucking the marrow out of bones was a major source of nutrition. Early human's lives sucked.

Also most of these people call themselves "nutritionists" which isn't even a protected term. Actual certified experts are called dieticians.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Time to get back to our roots and start dying of Listeria.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Ccs posted:

I hate all the "It isn't natural!" "This isn't what our ancestors did!" bullshit. Our ancestors were animals that tried to get enough nutrients to live any way they could. Sucking the marrow out of bones was a major source of nutrition. Early human's lives sucked.

Also most of these people call themselves "nutritionists" which isn't even a protected term. Actual certified experts are called dieticians.

People involved in Idle No More on my facebook have been trying to convince me to do some "decolonized diet!!!!!!!" thing and I'm just not buying it. Truly decolonized means like...absolutely no leavened bread given our area, even our "traditional" bread, which is bannock was introduced by Scottish settlers and was fried in lard so not exactly healthy. I can see wanting to stick with fish, game meat, berries, but heck, even wild rice is not original to this area. but you know, OUR ANCESTORS!!! My ancestors are Metis so I get all the pea soup I want, I guess. I can indulge in all the apparently horrible colonized cuisine, whatever that means. I walk both paths, truly...

54 40 or fuck has a new favorite as of 04:28 on Jun 7, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I just read an article the other day about Soylent powder. Apparently it's a weird soup mix that you can live on for long periods of time and it provides all the nutrients you need. It's still really expensive right now though, like ten bucks a day to live on it

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Apparently there isn't much lactose in older/harder cheeses so that's a good thing to keep in mind.

The bacteria that turns milk to cheese feeds on the lactose to do so. The same bacteria does the same thing to turn milk to yogurt. I'm not completely lactose intolerant, but I'm getting there, and I've started to eat my cereal with a scoop or two of yogurt instead of milk.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Excels posted:

I just read an article the other day about Soylent powder. Apparently it's a weird soup mix that you can live on for long periods of time and it provides all the nutrients you need. It's still really expensive right now though, like ten bucks a day to live on it

Isn't that the poo poo made by some random autist, that he started developing dietary deficiencies about a week into his experiment?

ie: He claims it was all full nutrition, but has no actual clue what is needed for the body to live.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8NCigh54jg

He lived on it for 30 days, supposedly.

quote:

Is Soylent the future of food? CEO Rob Rhinehart lived on his liquid invention for 30 days straight, and the feat propelled him to internet fame and fortune. So I decided to become the first person to repeat his feat—for a month straight, I'd try to live on nothing but the chemical cocktail, just like Rob. Along the way, I'd investigate how an artificial food replacement might impact human health, Silicon Valley, and the world at large. This is the story of life after food.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Ccs posted:

If they make it past thirty, they aren't living like our ancestors did.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Excels posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8NCigh54jg

He lived on it for 30 days, supposedly.

A writer for the Metro in Ottawa tried to live off Soylent for a week. She was subsequently told by the makers of Soylent that it is not intended as a total food-replacement and that she was stupid for doing it.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

That sorta goes against his whole mantra about how Soylent is "life after food".

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Why the hell would you call the food you invented Soylent? Seems like a marketing issue.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Why the hell would you call the food you invented Soylent? Seems like a marketing issue.

No, you see, it's post-ironic. :jerkbag:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Because it's actually made of people, but if you call it Soylent nobody will ever actually think to check because making a product out of people and naming it Soylent would be stupid.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
You think @everyword was finished with the word "zymurgy"? Think again!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

TinTower posted:

A hilarious oversight on the part of whoever wrote the bot that posts these. The author probably sorted the words using the unicode for each letter, and é is further down the list than z is (in fact é isn't a standard ascii character but exists past 0x7F).

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

TinTower posted:

idgi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

It is a bot posting all words in the english language alphabetically. The last word was Zymurgy, but because of a coding oversight, é is further along than z. So after Zymurgy, the next word was Éclair.

• Locked thread